New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
glc 43 SUV , gle coupe 450
Originally Posted by Marwan Attar
Hello,
I have the 2019 C43 sedan and I have recently installed the BMS air intake. I had different opinions about the heat soak; some said that the filters do more damage than good to the performance and some said otherwise. Looking now at the system provided by MST, it looks way better than the ones provided by BMS.

Any feedback on the performance of both? I mean you can't trust the dyno test provided by the suppliers because it all depends on the conditions the car was tested under I just need some advice on whether to keep the BMS, buy the MST or stick to the stock system.

Thanks!

I didn't mention that I am also tuning my car to Stage 2 by DME so I need to change my intake system
this might be a dumb point but cant you stick heat shielding tape on the metal box? something like Brabus is doing to its babies?

https://www.caricos.com/cars/b/brabu...images/20.html

on the bottom of the aluminium box?
Old 09-16-2020, 06:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
They’ve since upgraded the cases around the filters and mine is awesome. Zero heat soak and after driving the car for 30 mins, I pulled over and could rest my hand on the filter housing and it was warm, but not hot. The new coating on them displaces the heat so your car can breath in that nice cool air and become a musical instrument for your car. Tornado tuning makes one with that’s enclosed as well and it keeps the power robbing heat soak away too. Get the new MST! I love it!

Originally Posted by Lazz83
yes that is a great point! Thanks for brining it up!!!

This clearly was not well thought out, metal should never be used in a CAI, maybe they will switch over to rotomold, if BMS put a plastic housing around their filters like true CIA's i.e. Air Raid, AFE then it would be a no brainer. Why would you run a mid mounted open air cleaning element? Car Manufacturers have known this since the 60's with the introduction of Ram Air hood scoops, Air Grabbers and Cowl induction.

AWE had an awesome design in the works for the C43/C450 but cancelled due to lack of interest, wish they would reconsider, I know many people on here would invest in it.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
'17 C43 AMG [Stage 1+]
I recently installed MST on my 43, sounds great and does its job well
The following users liked this post:
gpouliniii (09-16-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:13 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 c450
Can anyone else confirm that mst has revised their design?
Old 09-18-2020, 03:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by TWINTURBOS
Can anyone else confirm that mst has revised their design?
MST is currently testing a version 2 of this intake. They said they are "adding intake and velocity stack adapter". So it sounds like the new version will not be reusing any of the stock piping- or at the least there will be a new turbo inlet pipe as shown in the picture. Should be able to clearly hear the turbo spool with this design, and being velocity stack design is nice. I will be getting one whenever it is released to give it a try

The following 3 users liked this post by BayAreaAMG:
b6tbfmp (09-18-2020), Lazz83 (09-18-2020), RR33 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 07:50 PM

2016 c450
Originally Posted by BayAreaAMG
MST is currently testing a version 2 of this intake. They said they are "adding intake and velocity stack adapter". So it sounds like the new version will not be reusing any of the stock piping- or at the least there will be a new turbo inlet pipe as shown in the picture. Should be able to clearly hear the turbo spool with this design, and being velocity stack design is nice. I will be getting one whenever it is released to give it a try

Was curious to know if there was a revised version like someone here claimed so I reached out to mst and they mentioned that there were no changes made to the intakes yet and that they were working on further improving it. Thanks for the details on the planned changes though, will wait for it as well. I like the one from bms but don't want to cut the engine cover so I've held off on it.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:40 PM

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Was curious to know if there was a revised version like someone here claimed so I reached out to mst and they mentioned that there were no changes made to the intakes yet and that they were working on further improving it. Thanks for the details on the planned changes though, will wait for it as well. I like the one from bms but don't want to cut the engine cover so I've held off on it.
When I get mine I'm going to just attached gold reflective heat tape to the entire outside of the metal box, and the inlet pipe. That would help keep it cooler. I personally don't like the BMS design at all.
IndyTom12 (10-28-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:18 PM

2016 c450
Originally Posted by BayAreaAMG
When I get mine I'm going to just attached gold reflective heat tape to the entire outside of the metal box, and the inlet pipe. That would help keep it cooler. I personally don't like the BMS design at all.
Nice, hope that works well.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by gpouliniii
They’ve since upgraded the cases around the filters and mine is awesome. Zero heat soak and after driving the car for 30 mins, I pulled over and could rest my hand on the filter housing and it was warm, but not hot. The new coating on them displaces the heat so your car can breath in that nice cool air and become a musical instrument for your car. Tornado tuning makes one with that’s enclosed as well and it keeps the power robbing heat soak away too. Get the new MST! I love it!
WAIT.....

So you are telling me MST figured out how to avoid heat soak of EVERYTHING in the engine bay?!?

Totally absurd. The MST intake will heat soak at essentially the same rate as the rest of your engine bay.
AhEmGee (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
You don't need to cut the engine cover, just take the cover off. I always believed those plastic engine covers only contributes to more heat in the bay and I always take it off. Unless you have a pretty sick build under your hood, I don't see a reason to pop the hood open at car meets/shows.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:00 AM

2016 c450
Originally Posted by c43PDX
You don't need to cut the engine cover, just take the cover off. I always believed those plastic engine covers only contributes to more heat in the bay and I always take it off. Unless you have a pretty sick build under your hood, I don't see a reason to pop the hood open at car meets/shows.
True. I may still wait for the mst revised versionvand then make a decision. Do you have the bms? If you do, did you notice any difference in performance?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 AMG GLC 43
I just ordered a MST intake from ECS Tuning. I like the Stock OEM look compared to the BMS look where the Filters just stick out and you have to cut the engine cover.
and yes, I like the look with the engine cover in place. Question to the people that have the MST intake. Did it come with instructions? I can't find any You Tube videos
of any installation of the intake. I guess not too many Mercedes drivers are getting the intake. Not counting on it making more power but I am hoping that it will increase
the sound of the Turbos spooling.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by IndyTom12
I just ordered a MST intake from ECS Tuning. I like the Stock OEM look compared to the BMS look where the Filters just stick out and you have to cut the engine cover.
and yes, I like the look with the engine cover in place. Question to the people that have the MST intake. Did it come with instructions? I can't find any You Tube videos
of any installation of the intake. I guess not too many Mercedes drivers are getting the intake. Not counting on it making more power but I am hoping that it will increase
the sound of the Turbos spooling.

I installed mine and it came with instructions and it’s really easy to install. If you bought the new model, you’ll have zero issues with heat soak as they “vented” the boxes the filters are in. It’s sounds a bit funky, but add some diverter valve spacers from BMS and it will sound really good. Some people don’t like the sound, but I do. And it sounds way better with the hood up than when closed. They sealed the front end pretty good on our cars. It still sounds better than stock and you’ll be happy you bought this over the BMS and a K&N drop in filter. It’s not that expensive of an upgrade. Let the tight asses drop the K&N in their cars. If you ever decide to tune it, you’ll already have the intakes installed.
IndyTom12 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 AM

2018 AMG GLC 43
I installed mine and it came with instructions and it’s really easy to install. If you bought the new model, you’ll have zero issues with heat soak as they “vented” the boxes the filters are in. It’s sounds a bit funky, but add some diverter valve spacers from BMS and it will sound really good. Some people don’t like the sound, but I do. And it sounds way better with the hood up than when closed. They sealed the front end pretty good on our cars. It still sounds better than stock and you’ll be happy you bought this over the BMS and a K&N drop in filter. It’s not that expensive of an upgrade. Let the tight asses drop the K&N in their cars. If you ever decide to tune it, you’ll already have the intakes installed.
Thanks for your kind response! How can I tell if I have the old or the new version of this intake? I am excited to get it installed. The reason I didn't chose the BMS intake is because you have to cut the sides off the engine cover off and I wasn't
willing to do that. Thinking about the JB4 tuning box or the Race Chip Module. I heard pro and cons about both. One thing that makes me want to go Race Chip over JB4 is the ease of installation and removal if you have to take it to the dealer.
With the JB4 you have to poke or drill through the firewall which I am not comfortable with with the Race Chip you don't. And Race Chip will have a Thanksgiving Sale between Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday for 25% off. I asked BMS if
they will have a sale on their tuners and they told me they don't ever run any sales period. Okay, that makes it even easier of a decision. Waiting for Thanksgiving to see if they change their mind. If not I will probably go with Race Chip.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
I installed the new intake about 6 weeks ago and removed them about 3 weeks later. They sound cool, but there was a noticeable difference in performance. The car was less responsive and sluggish in comparison to the stock set up.
I think you need a tune if your going to upgrade the intakes, the computer simply can't accommodate the new A/F ratio "on the fly".
Old 10-29-2020, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by IndyTom12
Thanks for your kind response! How can I tell if I have the old or the new version of this intake? I am excited to get it installed. The reason I didn't chose the BMS intake is because you have to cut the sides off the engine cover off and I wasn't
willing to do that. Thinking about the JB4 tuning box or the Race Chip Module. I heard pro and cons about both. One thing that makes me want to go Race Chip over JB4 is the ease of installation and removal if you have to take it to the dealer.
With the JB4 you have to poke or drill through the firewall which I am not comfortable with with the Race Chip you don't. And Race Chip will have a Thanksgiving Sale between Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday for 25% off. I asked BMS if
they will have a sale on their tuners and they told me they don't ever run any sales period. Okay, that makes it even easier of a decision. Waiting for Thanksgiving to see if they change their mind. If not I will probably go with Race Chip.
No poking or drilling required to install JB4. I have mine run through the fender and around the door. Do you see the very small cable when entering/exiting? Sure. Is it in the way, ever been an issue after 42,000 miles...not once. Absolute easiest path of least resistance for ease of removal. More headroom for power than what RaceChip is capable of as well. Sure they don't run sales - they don't have to. Power per dollar, reliability, and reputation...no question between the two.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
No poking or drilling required to install JB4. I have mine run through the fender and around the door. Do you see the very small cable when entering/exiting? Sure. Is it in the way, ever been an issue after 42,000 miles...not once. Absolute easiest path of least resistance for ease of removal. More headroom for power than what RaceChip is capable of as well. Sure they don't run sales - they don't have to. Power per dollar, reliability, and reputation...no question between the two.
..Sponsored by Burger Motor Sports 😆
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
don't but mst until you can get the version 2. I don't see it listed but maybe I am wrong. The piping/velocity stack adapter is going to be where the majority of the performance is with this thing.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
..Sponsored by Burger Motor Sports 😆
They’re welcome to send this little Nebraska boy some sponsorship swag! I know you’re not new here...there are years of supporting posts from me towards JB4. Stick to your big turbo plans.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 PM

2018 AMG GLC 43
They’re welcome to send this little Nebraska boy some sponsorship swag! I know you’re not new here...there are years of supporting posts from me towards JB4. Stick to your big turbo plans.
I am considering the JB4 Tune. Hoping they will have some sort of Thanksgiving/Black Friday Sale. I know they don't have to but hey, it's 2020 and I think that alone deserves a discount ;-) I know that RaceChips will have a 25% off
Sale between Thanksgiving day through Cyber Monday. They seem to have pretty decent reviews as well and their tuning box is a lot easier to install than the JB4. And in this case RaceChips will be a lot less expensive.
I know you get what you pay for. I did receive the intake today and it is the first Generation of the MST intake. Still looks very well made. I will install it tomorrow when the rain stops and see how she runs. The ECU should be able to
compensate for the air drawn in. Someone said the car lost performance and ran sluggish with the intake. Perhaps one of the Sensors wasn't hooked up right or the extension cable wasn't relaying the signal. Anyway, I will give it a shot.
If I don't like it I will sell it and just run the stock intake. Oh, do I really have to disconnect the battery in order to install the air intake? Seems a bit overkill.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:44 PM

2018 AMG GLC 43
Is there anyway you can shoot me some Pictures of where you ran the wire through the fender and around the door? I am trying to decide if I should just get the JB4 and forget about the RaceChip. Thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 12:50 PM
paj

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
17 C43 AMG
I ordered from ECS Tuning and installed the intakes yesterday in my garage. I’m a novice but pretty straightforward directions. I go this week to Tulsa to get my Renntech blowoff valves installed.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe

Rev 2. The new pipes will work with the existing, original version of the intake. I believe you can buy just the pipes to upgrade your original setup. I will be getting that done shortly.

5ynatra (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:00 AM

2018 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by xX G Xx

Rev 2. The new pipes will work with the existing, original version of the intake. I believe you can buy just the pipes to upgrade your original setup. I will be getting that done shortly.
Nice! Maybe I will Send the one I just got back and wait for the new version to be released. How much are the pipes by themselves? and more importantly where can you get them?
The following 2 users liked this post by IndyTom12:
5ynatra (11-04-2020), gpouliniii (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 12:37 PM
paj

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
17 C43 AMG
Yep I agree, I want the new intake pipes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance