MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   People buying used JB4s (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/738443-people-buying-used-jb4s.html)

Dieseldan9 03-12-2019 03:56 PM

People buying used JB4s

Just a heads up for everyone looking to buy used JB4s.

Burger will not help you with any issues alterations to the tune or look at your logs unless you buy the JB4 from them new.

My plan was to buy a used Jb1 and upgrade to a JB4 and burger said they would not help me if I had any issues.

Being as every car and climate is unique I figured the extra cost was worth it for me to buy direct.

threefirs 03-12-2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7703773)

Burger will not help you with any issues alterations to the tune or look at your logs unless you buy the JB4 from them new.

My plan was to buy a used Jb1 and upgrade to a JB4 and burger said they would not help me if I had any issues.

Being as every car and climate is unique I figured the extra cost was worth it for me to buy direct.

This would be common sense to me. They’d be flooded with emails who bought a JB4 for the N54 which has been resold 8x and barely works.

Wanting second hand pricing and first hand service is a cheap move.

Dieseldan9 03-13-2019 09:20 AM

This why I purchased mine new, wanted the company backing.

MarcusDubya77 03-13-2019 09:46 AM

Thanks again, Dan, for the heads up! I ended up buying direct from BMS.

bzammitt 03-13-2019 10:13 AM

What if you buy a used car that has JB4 already? They no longer support because it changed hands?

I understand the reasoning behind this and am all about supporting smaller companies, but what if Mercedes no longer honored warranty because the car changed hands? Or other tuning companies like Cobb?

Dieseldan9 03-13-2019 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bzammitt (Post 7704324)
What if you buy a used car that has JB4 already? They no longer support because it changed hands?

I understand the reasoning behind this and am all about supporting smaller companies, but what if Mercedes no longer honored warranty because the car changed hands? Or companies other tuning companies like Cobb?

that I am not sure, I would contact them to see what they can do.

st33zy 03-13-2019 02:58 PM

WOW, glad i read this post. Thanks for the heads up!

sliqdaddy91 03-13-2019 05:30 PM

What kind off trap speeds are guys getting with the Jb4 tune only on stock intake and stock downpipes? So 93 octane and tune only?

BMS 03-13-2019 09:17 PM

While we're only able to provide direct support and warranty to the orignal purchaser, those who purchase used can still take advantage of our MB support forum and receive indirect support that way. Generally speaking if you're new to tuning and expect to need some help, best to buy new. If you've been around the block and are already familiar with the JB4 or similar systems, then you can save a few bucks buying used.

bzammitt 03-14-2019 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BMS (Post 7704973)
While we're only able to provide direct support and warranty to the orignal purchaser, those who purchase used can still take advantage of our MB support forum and receive indirect support that way. Generally speaking if you're new to tuning and expect to need some help, best to buy new. If you've been around the block and are already familiar with the JB4 or similar systems, then you can save a few bucks buying used.

Thanks for clearing that up!! I just bought a used JB4 and it arrives tomorrow, can't wait :) I don't expect to need any help, but if I do, i'll head over to N54 tech.

Dieseldan9 03-14-2019 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by BMS (Post 7704973)

Agreed the JB4 has a steeper learning curve than JB1.

IMO based on what I have read here if you go JB4 it is best to have the help of BMS to look at logs and suggest alterations to get the maximum benefit from the extra cost of the JB4

threefirs 03-14-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bzammitt (Post 7704324)

I understand the reasoning behind this and am all about supporting smaller companies, but what if Mercedes no longer honored warranty because the car changed hands? Or other tuning companies like Cobb?

Why would that matter? JB4 doesn’t provide a power train warranty anyways.

bzammitt 03-14-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by threefirs (Post 7705165)

why would what matter? I think you misunderstood my point or maybe it was unclear.

Lazz83 03-14-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by threefirs (Post 7705165)

This is true and very few companies in any industry provide a transferable warranty on their products, why would they? If you buy it off someone, you are getting is second hand and you didn't buy from the company or authorized retailer, why should they offer customer support to you?

MarcusDubya77 03-15-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7705159)
Agreed the JB4 has a steeper learning curve than JB1.

IMO based on what I have read here if you go JB4 it is best to have the help of BMS to look at logs and suggest alterations to get the maximum benefit from the extra cost of the JB4

I was unaware of this. I will definitely be talking to them once I get the JB4 on.

Dieseldan9 03-15-2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77 (Post 7706215)
I was unaware of this. I will definitely be talking to them once I get the JB4 on.

That is only if u use the custom map option and build your own map. If u use the out of the box map bms offers you are good to go

MarcusDubya77 03-16-2019 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7706563)
That is only if u use the custom map option and build your own map. If u use the out of the box map bms offers you are good to go

I see. I had seen traffic where users had different numbered maps. I need to get smart on BMS. Plan on forking over the $27.99 for the app. Hope there aren't any issues running it on the networks here.

Dieseldan9 03-16-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77 (Post 7706803)
I see. I had seen traffic where users had different numbered maps. I need to get smart on BMS. Plan on forking over the $27.99 for the app. Hope there aren't any issues running it on the networks here.

Yes rhe custom maps make the most power and usually are the most aggressive

The app unleashes the true potential of the extra cost of the jb4

IMO is must have

MarcusDubya77 03-17-2019 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7707109)
Yes rhe custom maps make the most power and usually are the most aggressive

The app unleashes the true potential of the extra cost of the jb4

IMO is must have

Thanks. Are the custom maps downloadable? I have read that N54 forums is the best resource for JB 4 info.

bzammitt 03-17-2019 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7703773)

Just wanted to say I bought a used JB4 and love it. Also, terry looked at my logs and responded in about an hour on N54tech. Not encouraging people to buy used vs new, but if one pops up for a good deal, hey at least you’re still supporting the company and getting their good word out there! The car pulls super hard now, can’t wait to try the E30 map :)