Sponsored by:

CALIPER COVERS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C63
CALIPER COVERS?

Hi everyone. I just got my new vehicle and I want to change the color of the calipers. Initially I got a quote for $400 to paint them, but then i discovered caliper covers. Does anyone know anything about them (safety, installation etc)? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C43
Amazon Amazon

They look terrible. Look up caliper painting and do it yourself.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
400 for caliper painting?? I was looking to get them done for the summer and was expecting ~200 for all 4 corners... Give or take a few more bucks for AMG stickers lol
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
$400 is a good price if they're using good paint and the correct stickers. No amount of ease is worth the abomination of caliper covers. C43s get enough of a bad rap...please cough up the cash and do it right.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
$400 is a good price if they're using good paint and the correct stickers. No amount of ease is worth the abomination of caliper covers. C43s get enough of a bad rap...please cough up the cash and do it right.
Are you sure you aren't getting scammed? I am from Ontario and I cannot find any sources that sell caliper painting for more than $250CAD, let alone $400USD...

The higher priced ones also say multiple coatings of heat-resistant paints + multiple layers of clear coat + hand sanding. What do you get for $400 that you can't get from a $250 one with the features I mentioned?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:18 PM

2019 C63
Originally Posted by stockbmw
https://www.amazon.com/Caliper-cover...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

I know about caliper painting. But the covers can be easily removed if need be and even possibly change colors whenever you want.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:19 PM

2019 C63
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Are you sure you aren't getting scammed? I am from Ontario and I cannot find any sources that sell caliper painting for more than $250CAD, let alone $400USD...

The higher priced ones also say multiple coatings of heat-resistant paints + multiple layers of clear coat + hand sanding. What do you get for $400 that you can't get from a $250 one with the features I mentioned?
anyone have any pictures of their c43 calipers painted? I would love to see
Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by stockbmw
https://www.amazon.com/Caliper-cover...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Seconded. Caliper covers should be classified as a felony. They look tacky and cheap.

OP, avoid covers like the plague.
The following users liked this post:
tai rahmaad (02-17-2021)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c

a proper powder coat job will run you at least $400. It involves disassembling the brakes entirely and then reassembling and bleeding the brakes on re-install. As a shop I wouldn't even want that kind of work because the margins are probably pretty poor for the amount of labor involved.

I've DIY'd with a g2 caliper paint kit and it's a pretty good product - not sure I'd do it on a 50k brand new car though. The silver that the 17+? comes with is plenty enough. Silver is actually one of my favorite colors for calipers.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by alexasa
a proper powder coat job will run you at least $400. It involves disassembling the brakes entirely and then reassembling and bleeding the brakes on re-install. As a shop I wouldn't even want that kind of work because the margins are probably pretty poor for the amount of labor involved.

I've DIY'd with a g2 caliper paint kit and it's a pretty good product - not sure I'd do it on a 50k brand new car though. The silver that the 17+? comes with is plenty enough. Silver is actually one of my favorite colors for calipers.
This. Any shop that's not disassembling the brakes to properly prep and paint isn't the job I want, or anybody should want done. If all of that is in fact happening for $250CAD (<$200 USD), you're getting a great deal...but I ask the same question back to you...are YOU sure you aren't getting scammed?

I've used G2 before as well and it does an adequate job, but I'd never do it on this car.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM

2019 C63
Originally Posted by alexasa

im going to paint the calipers. I dont know if theyre powdercoatint, I think its just paint. Silver is nasty. And I think red is as basic as basic gets. Im thinking bright orange like the Lexus RCF has. What’s your take
Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Yeah but we are talking about hand painting (with a brush or air brush), not powder-coating. And good quality powder-coating is more like $400 per corner lol.

Originally Posted by Ryan P
im going to paint the calipers. I dont know if theyre powdercoatint, I think its just paint. Silver is nasty. And I think red is as basic as basic gets. Im thinking bright orange like the Lexus RCF has. What’s your take
Don't do Orange/Copper, looks like a Carbon-ceramic kit. I hate that personally.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

2019 C63
Yeah but we are talking about hand painting (with a brush or air brush), not powder-coating. And good quality powder-coating is more like $400 per corner lol.

Don't do Orange/Copper, looks like a Carbon-ceramic kit. I hate that personally.
have you seen the LEXUS RCF orange? How does that even closely resemble the carbon ceramic brakes that are more copper than anything else?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Don’t listen to the guys that tell you not to buy the covers vs painting them. Painting them doesn’t keep the massive amounts of break dust off of your wheels lol. Plus if you’re in the Midwest like me, the covers kinda help keep the salt off the caliper. Also, the rear calipers on most of our cars looks like crap from the factory and a cover makes it look better. If you go to MGP’s website, you can have them custom made to say whatever you want and they’re made of aluminum so they won’t rust and you can chose any color you want. I have an AMG so I get brake dust the minute I leave my detail guys garage. You can get them made in black like I did in case you don’t want them to stand out. I think bright colors look tacky, but that’s my opinion. But don’t listen to the haters on here telling you to get them painted because they personally don’t like them. That’s just stupid advice
jevsays (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
I would say 49 out of 50 car enthusiasts would despise caliper covers. Same realm as fake vent chrome stickers, C63 badge on a c300, rattle spray can paint jobs, sticker bombing cars, cutting springs, knock off wheels, list goes on.

I think as an enthusiast, there is an unspoken respect level among each other to pursue their own vision of modifying the vehicle for a goal to achieve. But typically an impostor of an subculture group is disliked due to the individual trying to fit in starting from Form first.

That's just my thought on caliper covers.
MatthewJ (08-15-2022)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Original AMG rear caliper cover.

The following 2 users liked this post by TModelle:
gpouliniii (07-21-2020), Star4life (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 05:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
The ya go ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻. They do make them to where they look good. I would agree that 49 or maybe even 50 out of 50 people would think caliper covers would look horrible, but the ones TModelle has on his calipers look like painted calipers and he’s gonna get the benefits of not having nearly as much break dust on his nice looking wheels and they won’t chip or fade like painting or powder coating will and I have an AMG and the rear calipers would like cheap Kia calipers if I had just painted them. Besides.. if you’re really staring at the calipers like that, you’re just looking for flaws in another mans car. And who would want a body man taking their $3000 calipers apart just to paint them? Regardless.. at the end of the day, it’s your car man, do what you think looks good. Who cares what other people think? I’ve been in the car business for 18 years. What if I told you the consensus was that white cars were for senior citizens and Red cars were for girls? Lol. I’m not going to because I don’t feel that way, but a majority of people that come in to buy cars feel that way. I was giving you my opinion based on what they do for your car, not how they look to other people. But, I’d compare the pros and cons of the rear calipers painted or covered. I bought mine so my wheels would stay clean longer
Old 07-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by gpouliniii
The ya go ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻. They do make them to where they look good. I would agree that 49 or maybe even 50 out of 50 people would think caliper covers would look horrible, but the ones TModelle has on his calipers look like painted calipers and he’s gonna get the benefits of not having nearly as much break dust on his nice looking wheels and they won’t chip or fade like painting or powder coating will and I have an AMG and the rear calipers would like cheap Kia calipers if I had just painted them. Besides.. if you’re really staring at the calipers like that, you’re just looking for flaws in another mans car. And who would want a body man taking their $3000 calipers apart just to paint them? Regardless.. at the end of the day, it’s your car man, do what you think looks good. Who cares what other people think? I’ve been in the car business for 18 years. What if I told you the consensus was that white cars were for senior citizens and Red cars were for girls? Lol. I’m not going to because I don’t feel that way, but a majority of people that come in to buy cars feel that way. I was giving you my opinion based on what they do for your car, not how they look to other people. But, I’d compare the pros and cons of the rear calipers painted or covered. I bought mine so my wheels would stay clean longer
Because they aren't caliper cover.
The following 4 users liked this post by stockbmw:
Adi-Benz (08-14-2022), c43PDX (07-22-2020), jevsays (07-21-2020), Star4life (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by gpouliniii

you are complimenting a $6000 carbon ceramic rear brake upgrade. do yourself a favor and just get calipers painted. caliper covers dont belong on a mercedes.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
w205
Originally Posted by Ryan P
anyone have any pictures of their c43 calipers painted? I would love to see

Old 08-12-2022, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS 550 4 matic
I know this is an old post but where can I get these AMG covers for my rears on a 2014 CLS 550 4matic?
Old 08-13-2022, 08:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
*2018 AMG C43 *2014 E350 Sport *1964 220 SEB
Powder Coated Calipers

I was given 2 prices for calipers. For $100 each I could have them painted. For $200 each I could have them powder coated. I viewed some in the shop that were painted and did not like the buildup of break dust - and as you can imagine, not the easiest to clean off when the wheel is mounted. So I had them powder coated. They wash clean a lot easier, some Dawn in a spray bottle spritzed on before I start detailing the car and most of the brake dust is off before I get to wheel cleaning, my last washing effort on the car before moving to spray detailing the finish. Car color is Selenite Gray, calipers are using a powder coat from Prismatic called Bohemian Blue as I remember.