MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Trouble detecting key (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/742073-trouble-detecting-key.html)

merlin3008 04-17-2019 12:36 PM

Trouble detecting key

Hey all...does anyone else have this problem? I generally keep my key fob in my backpack when I head to work. Often, when I get in the car and push start, the car does not recognize that the key is in the car. The screen prompts me to place the key on the pad in the cupholder. This doesn't happen every time, but at least several times a week. Anybody else?

MVEOVR 04-17-2019 01:30 PM

I keep mine in my jacket pocket, no issues with it thus far.

SoCalC55 04-17-2019 03:55 PM

I have the same issue, planning on asking MB next time i take the car in. I replaced the fob battery so its not that, but occasionally i have to click the button a few times to start.

I wonder if it has to do with the new start/stop button. Its more of a click vs press of older buttons. That's the only thing i have been able to come up with.

merlin3008 04-17-2019 03:59 PM

Maybe it only happens on Selenite Gray sedans. You have excellent taste. :)

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 7734545)
I have the same issue, planning on asking MB next time i take the car in. I replaced the fob battery so its not that, but occasionally i have to click the button a few times to start.

I wonder if it has to do with the new start/stop button. Its more of a click vs press of older buttons. That's the only thing i have been able to come up with.

GreekUPS 04-17-2019 06:20 PM

This might work, take out push button and use key to start car. Sometimes the fob needs to "pair" with the car.

SoCalC55 04-17-2019 08:05 PM

Can you even do that with the redesigned key?
I know past MB keys have the IR sensor but the new design is just a fob

MVEOVR 04-18-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 7734545)

One thing I had noticed is I needed to hold the brake peddle in a couple seconds longer, otherwise it would crank a bit longer than normal before firing (If I just jumped in and tried to start instantly). Not sure if this helps with the key though. I imagine something with the key less go feature, or as suggested the Selenite Gray :y.

GuardianVA 04-18-2019 12:59 PM

I experienced this issue occasionally when I had the key fob in the same pocket as my phone. It seems that the key is susceptible to EM interference. Is there a computer or other EM source in the backpack that might be causing interference with the key fob?

SoCalC55 04-18-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MVEOVR (Post 7735083)
One thing I had noticed is I needed to hold the brake peddle in a couple seconds longer, otherwise it would crank a bit longer than normal before firing (If I just jumped in and tried to start instantly). Not sure if this helps with the key though. I imagine something with the key less go feature, or as suggested the Selenite Gray :y.

Thats a good observation. I wonder if there is a certain level of brake that needs to be engaged for the system to fully prime; I'll be cognizant the next few days.
Or yep clearly a Selenite issue :rolf:

Trappers101 04-18-2019 09:15 PM

I've read in other posts the Fob battery was at fault. The Chinese have pirated the industry so well (Energizer Battery in Blue blister packs are supposed to be knock offs the real ones come in a Pink pack) that you cant tell the knock off from real ones. Found a link for MB ones. For $10 it's worth a try if nothing else you've got back up batteries.

Mercedes-Benz Remote Key Battery Keyless Entry Genuine Original 0000388 (2pcs)Average rating:5out of5stars, based on2reviews2 reviewsMercedes-Benz

$10.00

jerhu 04-18-2019 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by GreekUPS (Post 7734686)
This might work, take out push button and use key to start car. Sometimes the fob needs to "pair" with the car.

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 7734743)
Can you even do that with the redesigned key?
I know past MB keys have the IR sensor but the new design is just a fob

No you cant do this with the newer keys. The bottom does not pop out.