Sponsored by:

CARS YOU CROSSED SHOPPED w/ the C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Hungalow
No tesla 3 love? 3.4 secs to 100 with 450 hp and 471 tq just plug and play the only downfall...no soundtrack but otherwise very appealing.
I think joeclou in one of the posts above test drove one but didn’t care for the styling.

For me I never drove or even sat in a Tesla 3. But I think overall it’s a cool car especially the performance numbers. And my understanding is it now comes with autonomous features and things like 20” wheels as standard.

But I wanted a coupe, and if I’m being honest, not really crazy about the styling even as a sedan. The bigger issue for me is the interior. Not a fan of everything being on the giant center screen...including the gauges. And from what I’ve read the interior is not luxurious and felt cheap inside. Pictures of the steering wheel look like it came out of a 1995 Pontiac. And there actually is noise/sound and not the good kind. Since there is no engine to cover it up, I’ve read you hear a lot of tire/road noise in the cabin.

Then there are stories about people who have tried to order a new 2019 model at full price only to be told they are getting a 2018 demo car. Not cool...

And for me, since these cars are so new, the jury is still out on the reliability or long term quality of these cars. I usually keep my cars 6-10 years.

I just feel like Tesla isn’t 100% there yet. Like a pie that needs to bake a little longer. They are certainly on the right track and what they’ve accomplished in a short time is astonishing really.

If if they can improve on their shortcomings, in 6-10 years my next ride might be Tesla.

Last edited by PFEAMG; 04-27-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 GT-R
Originally Posted by PFEAMG
Cool choices! Will be interesting to see what you finally go with.

How was the interior in the M430?
Well my wife and I test drove all three yesterday. All three have pluses and minuses. All three are equally as fast based on specs online so that wasn't a factor.

M340 - Pros - best driving experience, very smooth
- new interior is really nice and a step up from prior models

Cons - Leases right now are terrible, at a sticker of $64,000 with me paying taxes (in MD we pay full tax on price of car up front), tags, first month payment, lease payment on a 3yr./36k mile lease comes out to be around $840 (terrible money factor, great residual, ok lease incentive)
- Exterior looks are ok, kind of plain

S4 - Pros - good driving experience
- my favorite interior, had massage seats and many adjustments to the seats including bolsters, etc. I also loved the carbon fiber interior and alcantara seats and doors.
- I loved the virtual cockpit and all of the things you could do with it.
- Had the most features for the money.
- I also loved the amount of customization with the ride, engine, tranny, etc.
- Leases pretty good, with a sticker of $64,000 with the same upfront payment above, the monthly lease would be around $700 (great money factor, terrible residuals, ok lease incentive)

Cons - Out of the three, looks the most boring and looks like it needs to be lowered an inch to look right.

C43 - Pros - Exterior looks the best and most aggressive.
- Leases the best out of the three. With a sticker of $64,000 with the same upfront payment above, the monthly lease would be around $630 (ok money factor, great residual, good lease incentives and since my friend is a GSM at the dealer, great discount)

- Cons - Ride was much rougher than the other three even in comfort mode and a lot more road noise as well.
- Interior was just ok, looked a little dated.
- Didn't like the column shifter.
- No option for heated rear seats or usb ports in the rear.

My wife and I agreed that out of the three with cost not being factored in, we would pick the BMW. I liked the S4 but my wife hated it, she just doesn't like the way it looks and couldn't get comfortable in it. We liked the C43 but agreed it was a little rough and the road noise was a little louder than we would have liked.

We have had a long history of having Lexus' and right now we have a Lexus IS350 and the lease is up in two months. We both are just done with it and can't wait to get out of it, it's the slowest 300hp car and gets terrible gas mileage and are just done with the brand in general since they are way too boring and haven't changed with the competition. We also daily drive a Durango SRT and have GTR that doesn't get driven much so we were hoping try out a new German brand this time around.

At the end of the day since cost is a factor and all have pluses and minuses, I think we will likely get the C43. I don't think the additional cost of the BMW is worth it to us.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 AM

2015 GT-R
Originally Posted by PFEAMG
Cool choices! Will be interesting to see what you finally go with.

How was the interior in the M430?
I liked the interior of the new M340 a lot. I'm not sure what happened to my other post so let me try again.

Well my wife and I test drove all three yesterday. All three have pluses and minuses. All three are equally as fast based on specs online so that wasn't a factor.

Cons - Leases right now are terrible, at a sticker of $64,000 with me paying taxes (in MD we pay full tax on price of car up front), tags, first month payment, lease payment comes out to be around $840 (terrible money factor, great residual, ok lease incentive)

- my favorite interior, had massage seats and many adjustments to the seats including bolsters, etc. I also loved the carbon fiber interior and alcantara seats and doors.
- Leases pretty good, with a sticker of $64,000 with the same upfront payment above, the monthly lease would be around $700 (great money factor, terrible residuals, ok lease incentive)

Cons - Out of the three, looks the most boring and looks like it needs to be lowered an inch to look right.

- Leases the best out of the three. With a sticker of $64,000 with the same upfront payment above, the monthly lease would be around $630 (ok money factor, great residual, good lease incentives and since my friend is a GSM at the dealer, great discount)

- Cons - Ride was much rougher than the other three even in comfort mode and a lot more road noise as well.

My wife and I agreed that out of the three with cost not being factored in, we would pick the BMW. I liked the S4 but my wife hated it, she just doesn't like the way it looks and couldn't get comfortable in it. We liked the C43 but agreed it was a little rough and the road noise was a little louder than we would have liked.

We have had a long history of having Lexus' and right now we have a Lexus IS350 and the lease is up in two months. We both are just done with it and can't wait to get out of it, it's the slowest 300hp car and gets terrible gas mileage and are just done with the brand in general since they are way too boring and haven't changed with the competition. We also daily drive a Durango SRT and have GTR that doesn't get driven much so we were hoping try out a new German brand this time around.

At the end of the day since cost is a factor and all have pluses and minuses, I think we will likely get the C43. I don't think the additional cost of the BMW is worth it to us.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
Grant Hummel (05-18-2019), PFEAMG (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:30 AM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by patgilm
I liked the interior of the new M340 a lot. I'm not sure what happened to my other post so let me try again.

Cons - Leases right now are terrible, at a sticker of $64,000 with me paying taxes (in MD we pay full tax on price of car up front), tags, first month payment, lease payment comes out to be around $840 (terrible money factor, great residual, ok lease incentive)

Great reviews and perspectives on all three cars. Just shows you how close and competitive these brands are.

Best of luck with your c43 purchase. Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Current: 2022 C300W4, 2016 Audi A8L Previous: 2019 C43W4
I'm coming out of a MY17 C43 and decided to go into a MY19 C43. Before I picked the C43 (again) I was thinking long, long, and hard about an E300 4Matic--luxury styling was even in the cards.

I was drawn to the size and smoothness of the E. Honestly, I think the E is the perfect sized Mercedes. Arguably not too big, certainly not too small, just right. I appreciate its higher quality interior, roomier cabin, and the ride afforded by the longer wheelbase and softer sprung suspension. The great fuel economy and quiet, mature demeanor of the car were also a draw.

But at the end of the day, I decided to go the fun route instead. I have plenty of time left on this planet (God willing) to drive a luxo barge

Last edited by Grant Hummel; 04-28-2019 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:19 PM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Grant Hummel
I'm coming out of a MY17 C43 and decided to go into a MY19 C43. Before I picked the C43 (again) I was thinking long, long, and hard about an E300 4Matic--luxury styling was even in the cards.

I was drawn to the size and smoothness of the E. Honestly, I think the E is the perfect sized Mercedes. Arguably not too big, certainly not to small, just right. I appreciate its higher quality interior, roomier cabin, and the ride afforded by the longer wheelbase and softer sprung suspension. The great fuel economy and quiet, mature demeanor of the car were also a draw.

But at the end of the day, I decided to go the fun route instead. I have plenty of time left on this planet (God willing) to drive a luxo barge
Yep, similar thing happened to me. Test drove the E53 coupe as I thought that would be THE car. And it almost was as it checked a lot of the boxes, But it just felt like a big heavy luxury car (or luxo barge as you mentioned lol. Which it is! It was a beautiful car. Drove smooth and was very very nice...and boring. The c43 was just a blast to drive...so fun, which is really what I was looking for.

Also, and I know I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t like the digital dash on the E53 which as I recall was standard. My wife hated it.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:41 PM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by sieglo
Wanted an F-type but sat in it and realized that at 6’4” it wasn’t going to happen. Thought the BMW interiors suck and since I’m sitting IN the car all the time I want a nice interior.

Wanted a coupe because I’ve been driving sedans my whole life and I’m on a minor midlife crisis (plus they just look so much better....).

Drove an S5 and was just unimpressed. Not as solid feeling or as fast as the C43, and I thought the interior was a step down too (I seem to be in the minority on that assessment).

So it was down to E400 and C43. Really thought I would get the E400 (same engine, not much more weight, figured I would tune it) but then I sort of drove the C43 on a whim and was sold.

In retrospect it might have been interesting to drive a Macan. Next year will probably be looking at Macan S, E53 coupe, 911, AMG GT53, GLC63s. Weird bunch but it is what it is.
Agree with everything you stated.

I considered an f-type. Awesome looking car. But the interior is pretty small and was starting to look a little dated. They also kept the entry level price the same and put a 4 banger in it. Waaayyy over priced imo.

And yes, completely agree the S5 interior was very disappointing. So much so I didn’t even bother test driving it.

The e class are beautiful cars. But unless you are looking at a E63s, I found them sorta boring. Even the E53.

Congrats on your C43!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW M4\M340i
Originally Posted by patgilm

Cons - Leases right now are terrible, at a sticker of $64,000 with me paying taxes (in MD we pay full tax on price of car up front), tags, first month payment, lease payment on a 3yr./36k mile lease comes out to be around $840 (terrible money factor, great residual, ok lease incentive)

Very good assessment of the M340...

I regret not giving the C43 a test drive, I immediately dismissed it due to Mercedes having the gear shifter on steering column, can't stand that look, other than that the exhaust note is good.

So far I'm enjoying the M340, although I'm still getting over the sticker shock! Even with 7k off before incentives, lease payment is in the low 800s!! Not too far from my 2016 M4 that I just turned in...
Old 05-18-2019, 12:36 PM

2015 GT-R
Originally Posted by BigSky702

I regret not giving the C43 a test drive, I immediately dismissed it due to Mercedes having the gear shifter on steering column, can't stand that look, other than that the exhaust note is good.

So far I'm enjoying the M340, although I'm still getting over the sticker shock! Even with 7k off before incentives, lease payment is in the low 800s!! Not too far from my 2016 M4 that I just turned in...
The lease deals just got better for the M340 so I am going to order the car this afternoon. I got 11% off before incentives so now my payment will be $700 with taxes and tags paid up front on a $65k car built how I want it. A comparably priced C43 would have been about $630 so not too far off. I test drove a new 2018 M3 and it was a little harsh for me for daily driving with 20” wheels and possibility of bad weather so I ruled that out.

I also found the column mounted shifter on the C43 odd but wasn’t really that big of a deal to me. I loved the look of the ‘19 C43 and I will certainly miss that but I just like the way the BMW drives better and so does my wife. Plus the BMW has an option for heated rear seats for our kids and the C43 doesn’t. I just wished the BMW had power tilt, it’s absurd in this price range not to have it. I just feel the BMW is smoother and quieter and we already have a GTR and Durango SRT so we wanted something a little more civilized for our third car.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Current: 2022 C300W4, 2016 Audi A8L Previous: 2019 C43W4
Originally Posted by BigSky702

Y'all, the steering column mounted stalk for changing gears is exceptionally convenient and you quickly adjust. Makes parking lot maneuvers an absolute breeze. I wouldn't want to go back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Hummel:
eatmydust (11-23-2020), PFEAMG (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C43
Y'all, the steering column mounted stalk for changing gears is exceptionally convenient and you quickly adjust. Makes parking lot maneuvers an absolute breeze. I wouldn't want to go back.
Agreed 1000%. I was skeptical at first but I've come to like the feature very much. I find myself driving our other car and keep reaching for it because it's so convenient.
eatmydust (11-23-2020)
Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
C450 lease is ending soon so I test drove a few cars:

Cadillac ATS: This is the best handling car for sure from steering to suspension tuning. Amazing how it handles around corners while not overly stiff like my C450. Too bad the engine, transmission, and especially interior is horrendous.

Audi S4: Does everything well but not the best. Handling was about same as C450. Steering is kind of light for my taste. Engine has more lag than I expected. Build quality for interior is TOP NOTCH. No creaking or rattles and just solid. Exhaust could be louder. Rides more compliant than my C450.

BMW M340i: Engine is a gem. Feels just as fast as C450/C43. Interior is such a big step up too. Build quality seems ok (not as solid as Audi but better than my C450). Rides more compliant than C450. Exterior kind of boring though.

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport: Horrible car. Transmission is sluggish. Steering though heavy, doesn’t spark joy. Exterior looks ok. Interior is a dated mess. It’s missing so much tech and I wasn’t impressed by a lot of the materials/creaks. The ride was horrendously harsh - probably just as harsh as my C450 but the body movement was much more violent over bumps.

I really want to get into a MY19 C43 AMG but the harsh ride and build quality issues on my current C450 is making me hesitate.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Standingoten
C450 lease is ending soon so I test drove a few cars:

Cadillac ATS: This is the best handling car for sure from steering to suspension tuning. Amazing how it handles around corners while not overly stiff like my C450. Too bad the engine, transmission, and especially interior is horrendous.

Audi S4: Does everything well but not the best. Handling was about same as C450. Steering is kind of light for my taste. Engine has more lag than I expected. Build quality for interior is TOP NOTCH. No creaking or rattles and just solid. Exhaust could be louder. Rides more compliant than my C450.

BMW M340i: Engine is a gem. Feels just as fast as C450/C43. Interior is such a big step up too. Build quality seems ok (not as solid as Audi but better than my C450). Rides more compliant than C450. Exterior kind of boring though.

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport: Horrible car. Transmission is sluggish. Steering though heavy, doesn’t spark joy. Exterior looks ok. Interior is a dated mess. It’s missing so much tech and I wasn’t impressed by a lot of the materials/creaks. The ride was horrendously harsh - probably just as harsh as my C450 but the body movement was much more violent over bumps.

I really want to get into a MY19 C43 AMG but the harsh ride and build quality issues on my current C450 is making me hesitate.
ride quality between c450 and 19 c43 is miles different..
PFEAMG (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
Originally Posted by alexasa
Agree that you should give a '19 a test drive first. I had read on here for months before I picked up my '19 C43 that the ride was intolerable. It's a little busy, but pretty close on Comfort as my '12 A4 Avant was on "Dynamic".

No denying that the C43 ride leans to sport rather than luxury, but it's not anything close to intolerable.
PFEAMG (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
'19 AMG C43 Wagon
As mine is a wagon, there was nothing really in the market to cross shop it with.... it ticked all of the boxes for me.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 AM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Yep agreed. When I first test drove the c63 I was like “what the hell is this...a shifter on the column?!? Is it 1983?” But after test driving three other MB’s, I actually found it very convenient and loved it.
eatmydust (11-23-2020)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW M4\M340i
LOL... I thought I would give it a try, until I sat in a GT 63

PFEAMG (05-23-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by alexasa
How so? What’s changed with the suspension?