Sponsored by:

New MBUX touchpad in C-class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
New MBUX touchpad in C-class?

I noticed in this video of c class coupe, that the new touchpad used on MBUX and newer versions of Mercedes also it's used in this model.

Anyone know why? it depends on the market? 2020 version?

On the new GLC facelift, as it has the MBUX it uses the new touchpad as the A class etc... but the touchpad used in the W205 c class it's the older one, I've never seen the new one used until this video. Anyone know if it related of having MBUX?

Go to minute 3.10

for instance this video shows the GLC F cell includes a newer version, facelift interior/tech for the W205, in a 2017.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C63
looks okay. Makes no difference. They should remove all that junk and put the gear shifter over there.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Looks like its the 2019 China market cars got the new pad

https://www.mercedes-benz.com.cn/vehicles/amg/c43.html
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,936 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
Kinda strange that they are going with the new touchpad only center controller in one market and also demoed the updated system with it initially, but then kept the old rotary knob/touchpad combo controller in most markets. The new touchpad only controller doesn't seem to function any different from the old touchpad. It just eliminates the rotary knob as an alternative input method. Perhaps that move wasn't as well received by focus groups as MB thought initially. I do think a rotary knob is better for operating the system blind while driving. Touchpads have similar issues as touchscreen, as they require more concentration and in addition require "swipe and reset" to get the cursor to a specific point on the screen. I'm not even sure how often I'll be using the controls and buttons on the center console now that everything can be operated from the steering wheel. I haven't really found an explanation for why MB decided to get rid of the rotary knob with the MBUX system, and is now starting to introduce it with the older COMAND system in some markets/models. I only found a blog post from somebody who attended a demo and thought it makes the inputs consistent across the touchscreen, steering wheel and center console controller, making everything touch and swipe. Not sure I buy that argument.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-24-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by superswiss
Kinda strange that they are going with the new touchpad only center controller in one market and also demoed the updated system with it initially, but then kept the old rotary knob/touchpad combo controller in most markets. The new touchpad only controller doesn't seem to function any different from the old touchpad. It just eliminates the rotary knob as an alternative input method. Perhaps that move wasn't as well received by focus groups as MB thought initially. I do think a rotary knob is better for operating the system blind while driving. Touchpads have similar issues as touchscreen, as they require more concentration and in addition require "swipe and reset" to get the cursor to a specific point on the screen. I'm not even sure how often I'll be using the controls and buttons on the center console now that everything can be operated from the steering wheel. I haven't really found an explanation for why MB decided to get rid of the rotary knob with the MBUX system, and is now starting to introduce it with the older COMAND system in some markets/models. I only found a blog post from somebody who attended a demo and thought it makes the inputs consistent across the touchscreen, steering wheel and center console controller, making everything touch and swipe. Not sure I buy that argument.
I think the touchpad is pretty irrelevant if the car has MBUX (for me personally anyway). I don't really care about the new touchpad vs having the old one. I just wish the facelifted C43 came with MBUX so I could just use natural speech to control any function in the car rendering the touchpad pretty much useless anyway.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,936 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
I think the touchpad is pretty irrelevant if the car has MBUX (for me personally anyway). I don't really care about the new touchpad vs having the old one. I just wish the facelifted C43 came with MBUX so I could just use natural speech to control any function in the car rendering the touchpad pretty much useless anyway.
It would be nice if they had put the latest system in the facelift, but I don't feel very strongly about it. I'm glad they refreshed the system and in particular the UI. The old system just felt very left behind. Things like the AI and natural language is cool, but I'm not convinced it makes a big difference. I'm one of those who feels that a car shouldn't work like a smartphone, because the use cases are different. I tend to use voice for very specific tasks, mostly those that require text input such as enter a destination, so fixed commands work fine. I don't use the voice assistants on my phone very much either, because the success rate is still not a 100%. One of the the biggest issues I run into, even with the best systems today such as Google, is the recognition of non English names when looking for directions. I'm actually more intrigued by MB's support for 3 word addresses. They actually solve the issue of ambiguous and hard to pronounce names for destination input, as well as getting to places w/o an address. It's supported by the updated system in the 2019s.

https://what3words.com/2017/09/merce...gation-system/
Old 04-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
Originally Posted by superswiss
It would be nice if they had put the latest system in the facelift, but I don't feel very strongly about it. I'm glad they refreshed the system and in particular the UI. The old system just felt very left behind. Things like the AI and natural language is cool, but I'm not convinced it makes a big difference. I'm one of those who feels that a car shouldn't work like a smartphone, because the use cases are different. I tend to use voice for very specific tasks, mostly those that require text input such as enter a destination, so fixed commands work fine. I don't use the voice assistants on my phone very much either, because the success rate is still not a 100%. One of the the biggest issues I run into, even with the best systems today such as Google, is the recognition of non English names when looking for directions. I'm actually more intrigued by MB's support for 3 word addresses. They actually solve the issue of ambiguous and hard to pronounce names for destination input, as well as getting to places w/o an address. It's supported by the updated system in the 2019s.

https://what3words.com/2017/09/merce...gation-system/
to me the only thing in relation to the touchpad is that the old one looks cheap and not really sturdy, everything I touch it in some car in the dealer or seen videos it looks cheap plastic, the new one looks more intergated and with better fit and finish.

it's just curiosity