Sponsored by:

aftermarket exhaust and driving mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
C450 AMG - Polar White
aftermarket exhaust and driving mode

those of you with aftermarket exhausts... if you want to lay low and be quiet..... does going into eco mode help to cancel out sound?
or is getting an aftermarket exhaust (catback or muffler) a one way ticket to noise regardless of driving mode you set to.

assuming sport+ really opens up the noise, which is expected (hell we get that with stock exhaust)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Skim450
those of you with aftermarket exhausts... if you want to lay low and be quiet..... does going into eco mode help to cancel out sound?
or is getting an aftermarket exhaust (catback or muffler) a one way ticket to noise regardless of driving mode you set to.

assuming sport+ really opens up the noise, which is expected (hell we get that with stock exhaust)
Your exhaust should have a way to close the muffler valve manually. Most exhausts also offer a way to automatically open the muffler valve by setting what rpm to automatically open the valves.

If you did a muffler delete, then there is no way for you to reduce the drone. Driving in eco will still give you drone.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 PM

C450 AMG - Polar White
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Your exhaust should have a way to close the muffler valve manually. Most exhausts also offer a way to automatically open the muffler valve by setting what rpm to automatically open the valves.

If you did a muffler delete, then there is no way for you to reduce the drone. Driving in eco will still give you drone.
the c43's have the button to toggle the valves. however, on the C450, we did not get this feature. and from my research, i believe the values move (at least in sport+ mode) variably with the RPMs. higher the more open it is... please correct me if i am wrong.

but that still leaves the question, those of you with aftermarket exhausts, while yes, it is still generally a little louder, is there an audible difference say putting the car in eco mode to putt through the neighborhood???
Old 04-26-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Skim450
the c43's have the button to toggle the valves. however, on the C450, we did not get this feature. and from my research, i believe the values move (at least in sport+ mode) variably with the RPMs. higher the more open it is... please correct me if i am wrong.

but that still leaves the question, those of you with aftermarket exhausts, while yes, it is still generally a little louder, is there an audible difference say putting the car in eco mode to putt through the neighborhood???
My car is actually MORE quiet with the valves closed than stock, cause the after market muffler is smaller than stock (FI Exhaust).

Its quiet when you want it to be, and in auto mode its loud when you tell it to be. I dont even need to manually turn it always on or always off, but I could if I wanted.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:47 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
For an aftermarket exhaust, get one that is true dual pipes with valve controlled mufflers. That will be as close you can get to the factory PE. The valves will be controlled by either a remote control or by RPM thru an OBD2 unit, or both. Highly recommend one with OBD2 RPM control. When the valves are closed, it will be quieter than stock and no drone. When the valves opens, it will be loud and drone like a MF. Basically on straight pipes.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM

C450 AMG - Polar White
Originally Posted by waisoserious
My car is actually MORE quiet with the valves closed than stock, cause the after market muffler is smaller than stock (FI Exhaust).

Its quiet when you want it to be, and in auto mode its loud when you tell it to be. I dont even need to manually turn it always on or always off, but I could if I wanted.
Originally Posted by xX G Xx
For an aftermarket exhaust, get one that is true dual pipes with valve controlled mufflers. That will be as close you can get to the factory PE. The valves will be controlled by either a remote control or by RPM thru an OBD2 unit, or both. Highly recommend one with OBD2 RPM control. When the valves are closed, it will be quieter than stock and no drone. When the valves opens, it will be loud and drone like a MF. Basically on straight pipes.
good to know guys, thanks for chiming in.