C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Exhaust Soot by pushing water in.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Cleaning Exhaust Soot by pushing water in.

I know this might be an extremely dumb question. But I have seen multiple videos on the internet where the guys push water into the exhaust using a pressure washer and then rev the car and all kinds of black carbon comes out.

I dunno if this is the experience with everyone, but my exhaust looks carboned up inside. May be this is normal but if would be sick if there was a way to clean this. I have a feeling all this soot inside the exhaust acts as damping material and kind of takes away a little bit from the raw rattle of a brand new exhaust.

I usually do not post stupid questions. If this is stupid, entertain it for once, haha.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
the loose carbon in the exhaust will not be affecting performance.

Better off unbolting exhaust quick Vband and cleaning properly
Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Yea, I don't see what benefit it could have and I see a lot of drawbacks to this method. In my experience exhaust system performance becomes less efficient as the Catalytic converter gets clogged over time, I am not aware of any other components in the exhaust system that carbon buildup would affect. The fact that most cats are right near the engine leads me to believe the pressure washing method would not reach to clean those.

In 30yrs of driving I have never had a problem with a clogged exhaust system, but I have had plenty of Cats that needed to be replaced, but well after 100k mi.

I am sure MB service center would not approve.

I'm curious this about process and am going to do a search to see it in action.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C43 Sedan soon
Originally Posted by munis
I know this might be an extremely dumb question. But I have seen multiple videos on the internet where the guys push water into the exhaust using a pressure washer and then rev the car and all kinds of black carbon comes out.

I dunno if this is the experience with everyone, but my exhaust looks carboned up inside. May be this is normal but if would be sick if there was a way to clean this. I have a feeling all this soot inside the exhaust acts as damping material and kind of takes away a little bit from the raw rattle of a brand new exhaust.

I usually do not post stupid questions. If this is stupid, entertain it for once, haha.
Just stop looking inside the exhaust tips...hahaha. If it bothers you I'd get a tire type brush, the one that look like a microphone and just stick this inside the tips. When I clean my shelby i spray wheel cleaner on this brush then spin the brush in circles, soak brush in water and reapply to rinse. This method works like a charm. Too bad not for long with this car as she burns a ton of fuel
The following users liked this post:
Lazz83 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Get anodized black ones...Problem solved...