C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing tips please

Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C 300
Purchasing tips please

Hi guys, I live in Austin. Interested in getting a 2019 C43 Sedan, probably will lease. I currently lease a 2018 C300 Sedan (17 payments made so far). I will trade this in. I assume i'll have to eat some loss that can be rolled into the new car.

The dealerships in my immediate area don't have the car I want, with the PE and digital dash. I see some dealerships about 1-2 hours away that do. I'm flexible on the color.

So the main question is, how to best go about this? Should I deal with the close dealerships and see if they can get the car I want from the farther away dealers? Or should I deal directly with the farther dealerships? Is it best to negotiate over email or in person? The trade in I assume will have to be negotiated in person?

If I decided to finance through MB, does it make any difference to get pre-approved online or should this be done in person during the sale? If I'm leasing, any difference in the process?

What sort of discount should I shoot for, 10% off MSRP? Should I ask for that right off the bat?

Thanks for any tips! Will probably have a few more questions.

Robert
Old 05-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by robbb View Post
Hi guys, I live in Austin. Interested in getting a 2019 C43 Sedan, probably will lease. I currently lease a 2018 C300 Sedan (17 payments made so far). I will trade this in. I assume i'll have to eat some loss that can be rolled into the new car.

The dealerships in my immediate area don't have the car I want, with the PE and digital dash. I see some dealerships about 1-2 hours away that do. I'm flexible on the color.

So the main question is, how to best go about this? Should I deal with the close dealerships and see if they can get the car I want from the farther away dealers? Or should I deal directly with the farther dealerships? Is it best to negotiate over email or in person? The trade in I assume will have to be negotiated in person?

If I decided to finance through MB, does it make any difference to get pre-approved online or should this be done in person during the sale? If I'm leasing, any difference in the process?

What sort of discount should I shoot for, 10% off MSRP? Should I ask for that right off the bat?

Robert
Every time I've bought a car, the dealer let me choose my options and then looked up cars across the U.S. to see if any matches and they'd have it shipped. I think settling for a car just because of proximity is silly, especially if you really wanted to have a certain option. Being pre-approved online only means that you skip that part of the paperwork. The process is the same and your numbers will be the same. Discount wise, 10% would be good to shoot for but it really depends on a bunch of things outside of your control.

There's a few decent articles on how to negotiate with luxury car dealers that you can probably Google. I'm hesitant on giving you any advice on this because I go to the same guy every time so my approach is a little different.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C 300
Thank you sir for the info. The two local dealers are saying they can only give 2-3k off msrp. Sigh...
Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Sedan soon
Originally Posted by robbb View Post

Robert
I'd speak with your current dealer and see what kind of hit you will be taking. I suspect the remaining payments that are outstanding on your current lease, since that is a contract you signed. Then once you get through this red tape see what they can do for you on locating your car. Most dealers will have to swap vehicles which brings down the profit margin since you're now basically dealing with 2 entities. See if your lease is transferable which may help you unloading it to someone else. I'm not sure on this as I haven't seen MB lease requirements, etc.

I bypassed the swapping part and found my ride 2.5 hours away which I'll be taking delivery on Saturday. For what it's worth, it pays to shop as I saved almost 9k off the sticker.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
You're probably too early but MB ususally will wave payments to take out of your lease and get you into another. It can range from months to even a year out. This usually works best if you deal regularly with the same dealer. You need a relationship with the current dealer but you could try to build one with another new dealer. Ask some of your friends which dealer and salesman they've done business with. I could give you someone in Dallas and they're a large dealship.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 AM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2013 Audi RS5, 2019 C63CS
You can trade in a leased car like any other car. Dealer will buy out the lease and if you are upside down, then you owe some money. If you have equity then you can use the money towards the new car or have them write you a check. Generally, the recommended approach is to not talk about what you gonna do with your current car and first agree on a price for the new car. Don't talk monthly payments, either. Then once you've settled on a price, start working the trade. You can even take a leased car to CarMax and sell it to them as far as I know, so it's a good idea to get an appraisal from them, which is good for 7 days and you can use that to negotiate your trade with your dealer. You should also contact MB Finance and find out your buyout amount. Those two things together will tell you how much you are in the hole for. Lease swapping is another option, but you need to verify your lease contract. Some lesser don't release the original lessee of their liability, but I believe MB is not one of them.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
You are probably too far out for MB to waive any of your payments. Often they will have promos near model year end when they try to entice people who are close to upgrade before their leases are up. But usually those are for 2 or 3 months of payments. SO here is what you are going to have to do. Either go online to MB Finance or call the number on your lease statement. You want to ask for the payoff is on the vehicle. It is usually pretty darn close to the residual value plus the amount of your remaining payments. That is the cash amount you will need to come up with in order to get out of your current lease. You want to compare that number to private sale and dealer trade numbers on Edmunds to see how far off you are. If there is a gap, you can make it up with cash or amortize it over the new lease. As time goes on and the car depreciates, the gap will usually get less and less.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 164 Posts
c
MB offers pull ahead program, which can usually absorb 3-6 months payments if leasing another vehicle, depending on current promotion.

I would assume you would need to look into swap a lease type program on a personal level to avoid paying the difference in payments upon leasing new vehicle.

If you don't mind flushing money down the toilet then don't worry about it.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Emailing is by far the best way to go, not in person or over the phone (unless you enjoy haggling in person or are not looking for the steepest discount or want a very specific configuration). It gives you much more control over the process. I recently leased a 2019 C43 in Southern California and emailed almost 20 dealerships and within three days I had my best deal at 15.2% off of MSRP.

You may not have as many dealerships in your area but you can still comparison shop without needing to physically go to each dealership and then go through their process of trying to sell you a car.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
This probably won't go over well with many of you but to each his own. If all you're after is the best price and nothing else matters, go the email route. I'm concerned about price but I'm also concerned that when something comes up the dealer is there to take care of me. Maybe I'm lucky but I've done business with the same MB dealer for about 20 years. Yes, I keep him honest every once in a while by going to another dealer and I found that they always have given me the best price. When I spend that much money on a car I want certain things and that's important to me. When I have a blow out on a tire and I drive in to the service dept they jump on it and get me going right them, no BS like make an appointment and come in next week. In fact for any service or warranty work I just drive in and they either do it while I drink coffee in the lounge or they put me in a comparable loaner at no charge. Yes, maybe I paid a couple of bucks more than I could have done but I've gotten thousands back is things they've done for me. I had a previous GLA45 that went through a set of tires in 5000 miles and they were not covered by warranty but they replaced them at no charge to me. It's things like that that have value to me. There's price, service and value. I find as a repeat client I'm treated way better because of the relationship I've built up with them. It's a 2 way street, they treat me right and I return to them. If they stop treating me right I can always go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Agreed, to each his own.

I have had very good experiences with MB dealers during the infrequent times I’ve needed them. But in the end you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

I don’t trust dealerships and salespeople. Moreover, I am not comfortable giving dealers more money than they deserve. Especially since they are on a mission to maximize the money they extract from me on a sale.