C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runflat tires required at lease turn in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
Runflat tires required at lease turn in?

I've heard that cars originally equipped with runflat tires, for example our C43's, must have runflats at lease turn-in time. The car cannot be resold by a dealer unless it's equipped with good runflat tires.

If that's really true, and if you preferred conventional tires, wouldn't it make financial sense to remove the original runflats very early in their life and store them for reinstallation at lease turn in?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 lol
Yes, and yes.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
In simple terms, one is not allowed to modify a leased car. It has to stay stock down to the tires, provided the OEM tires are still available at the end of the lease. It's in the contract that you agree not to modify the car. The lessee doesn't own the car, and only has the right to use it and the responsibility to maintain it while it's under their use. You are allowed to use OEM equivalent parts, though.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Will chime in here because there may be some misinformation floating around. Some dealers / manufacturers WILL allow a car that was leased with runflats to be returned with non-runflat tires, provided there is a pump and repair kit returned with the vehicle. Call your dealership to see if they will allow it. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Current: 2019 C43 Old: 2016 C450
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
I've heard that cars originally equipped with runflat tires, for example our C43's, must have runflats at lease turn-in time. The car cannot be resold by a dealer unless it's equipped with good runflat tires.

If that's really true, and if you preferred conventional tires, wouldn't it make financial sense to remove the original runflats very early in their life and store them for reinstallation at lease turn in?

I lease and i take the runflats off about midway through it's life and throw conventional tires on. When the lease is up, i put the OEM tires back on and turn it in. Financially, it saves you money but the real benefit to me is that i can run the tire of choice (ps4) for the majority life of the car's lease.