MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Would you get this replaced? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/750295-would-you-get-replaced.html)

zibby43 07-12-2019 08:20 PM

Would you get this replaced?

Window seal on my rear passenger door/window frame is loose and feels very stiff.

Does this have the potential for wind noise or any other unwanted side effects? Or is this a non-starter. Photo below.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6eecf98f8.jpeg

zibby43 07-14-2019 06:12 PM

If this thing turns out to be what’s causing my phantom whistling noise, I’m going to slap myself in the face.

stockbmw 07-15-2019 01:56 AM

It's the diff.

maconmoney2012 07-15-2019 02:02 AM

If it is fixable under warranty then I would. never know, it could turn into a bigger issue later down the road.

waisoserious 07-15-2019 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by stockbmw (Post 7803274)
It's the diff.

You being serious? Or are you kidding??

stockbmw 07-15-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7803287)
You being serious? Or are you kidding??

The OP already knows it's the diff but looking elsewhere for his problem like his tires and windows.

zibby43 07-15-2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by stockbmw (Post 7803494)
The OP already knows it's the diff but looking elsewhere for his problem like his tires and windows.

I don't know that it's the diff. When I had the shop foreman drive the car, he couldn't hear anything diff. related (I mentioned the diff. specifically as my concern on my first visit). When he rode along with me and I pointed out the noise, his first thought it was some kind of wind noise, but we only checked around the front windows/mirrors and everything looked fine.

The more time I've spent assessing and evaluating the conditions the noise occurs, the less likely it seems like it is the diff. Furthermore, the more time I've spent reading the accounts of those that have had diff. issues, the more I realize my symptoms are slightly different.

First off, there are days where I don't experience the noise at all. Second, for me, the noise occurs irrespective of whether I'm on the throttle or off (coasting). Several of the folks that reported diff. problems stated very specifically that they only heard the noise while coasting.

The third factor I've noticed recently is that the noise is always present and more pronounced on windy days.

Lastly, the noise I experience sounds absolutely nothing like this:

Originally Posted by stockbmw (Post 7786791)
Sounds like "brmmmmmmmbrmmmmbrmmmm" while on 78kmh to 90km. Loudest noise at 80kmh.

Just annoying. I used to fly pass 70 to 100 just to avoid hearing this sound.

Now, I have my doubts as to whether or not this very loose trim is the culprit for the noise, but I'm not ruling it out, and wanted to see if anyone else had a trim problem like this and if so, what they did about it.

stockbmw 07-16-2019 07:16 PM

I edited my earlier post for you.

Sounds like very low "piiiiiiii" at 60kmh hardly heard gradually increase to the throttle pedal. Loudest at 80kmh and decrease around 85kmh.
Whatever you are describing sounds like the problem I had. Foreman changed the propeller shaft last week as well saying it's defective and is related to the noise. When differential was changed, very faint noise still could be heard. It might be still there after the propeller shaft but it's too faint for me to care about now.

zibby43 07-17-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by stockbmw (Post 7804800)
I edited my earlier post for you.

Whatever you are describing sounds like the problem I had. Foreman changed the propeller shaft last week as well saying it's defective and is related to the noise. When differential was changed, very faint noise still could be heard. It might be still there after the propeller shaft but it's too faint for me to care about now.

So even after you had all the stuff changed, the noise is still there?