Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEC REGRETS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Only thing I regret not getting is some kind of interior lighting package. There were only 2 MY19 coupes available in my region in the color I wanted (graphite grey, which is AWESOME btw) and the next dealer allocation for a build wasn't available to pick up until September (I purchased in late May) and didn't want to wait that long. No 64 color or even ambient lighting. It is SUPER dark in the cabin at night, which is okay, but just wish it had something to light it up a bit.

Other than that, it was pretty much loaded other than HUD and driver assistance packages, which didn't really interest me, I got the car to drive after all.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 335is, 2019 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
I got a very good deal on my 2019 Polar White C43 coupe that had only 1500 miles on it, so I didn't have a say in the matter when it came to options. From all of what I've read/seen, I don't think that I care about not having a HUD, however, I do wish that my car had the adaptive cruise control since it's pretty awesome on our cars. The adaptive headlights would have also been cool, but the stock led ones are so bright that it's not a dealbreaker for me. I did get the AMG night package, PE, 12.3" digital cluster, multimedia command, 360 camera/park assist, dark oak interior, red leather seats, heated/ventilated seats, illuminated star, 64-color ambient lighting, illuminated door sills, wireless charging (pretty useless cuz slow and need to plug in for apple carplay, but good when you have two people in the car on a long road trip). For 49K, I wasn't going to pass up the deal to check 1 or 2 extra options.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
I'm In the UK, and currently Mercedes now puts all the worthwhile options into Packages.
Mine is Premium Plus which pretty comes comes with everything you'd need .
We don't have the option of the AMG aerodynamic package on the C43 which I would've liked, or and ventilated seats.
If mine was a factory order I would've specced the carbon interior trim as well.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic
No regrets, well kind of.....

Originally Posted by PFEAMG
Hi there MB World,

Now that I’ve had my car for about 6 weeks, I thought I’d share some of the options I could have maybe done without and some that maybe I wish I did spring for.
As with everything, car options are mostly subjective and is really based on what each persons individual needs are. But I thought some of our experiences might be insightful to those in the market for a new c43 or trading in an older model. You can of course read about what the options are and try them out during a test drive but until you own and live with the car you may not really know if it’s worth the extra coin or not (this forum really helped me when I was looking).

Here is my spec/options:
  • ’19 C43 Coupe-Overall absolutely love this car! Worth putting on a short list and taking a test drive.

Options I don’t REGRET:
  • Brilliant Blue metallic paint ($720)-completely a matter of opinion but to me it looks fantastic. I’ve had black/gray/silver cars for 25 years and wanted something different (at least for me). This fit the bill and really pics of this color do not do it justice.
  • Cranberry Red/Black leather ($1620)-Love it, the interior is gorgeous. I asked to see a car on the dealer’s lot before I ordered this color…glad I did as I thought it looked great. The other colors are also really nice but had them all before or at least something similar…never had red seats. Leather is not as soft as my Lexus was, but it’s still pretty nice. IF however you are considering black, the standard seats were also very nice and will save you $1600 on black leather seats.
  • AMG Carbon Fiber trim ($975) To me the carbon fiber looks awesome…and overall not sorry I ordered it because the other offerings were not my cup of tea. BUT… $975 is a lot of money for what really is very little carbon fiber. I think there should have been some other additional CF placed in the cabin such as on the doors, steering wheel or other parts of the dash board.
  • Ventilated front seats ($450)- This is a very controversial option as posted in other threads. I knew going in that these were ventilated seats not AC seats. I also belong to the minority that thinks they work really well. However, I test drove the car in Feb/March and didn’t need ventilated seats nor did I try them. This could have been a regret or disappointment for me. I think if you are considering this option you definitely want to try to them out before you decide.
  • Inductive wireless charging and NFC pairing ($170)- This is one of the least expensive options on the list, so not a regret. One thing to note, I assumed incorrectly that with NFC pairing I would be able to use Apply Car Play wirelessly. You can’t…should have done my homework a bit more on this. But again, for $170 the wireless changing was well worth the price at least for me.
  • 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster ($750)- Was on the fence about this as I’m old school and really like analog gauges. But after seeing it at the dealer and using it on my car…it’s one my favorite features. Also recommend having a dealer show you a car with it even it’s not on the car you test drive.
  • AMG Performance Exhaust System ($1250) LOVE IT…A MUST HAVE LOL
Options I REGRET:
  • 19-inch AMG twin 5-spoke w/black accents ($850)- truth be told I was not crazy about any of the C43 wheel offerings when I ordered the car. But now that I have the car I do like them much better and really go well with this paint color. That being said it may have been better to have ordered the car with the standard wheels and swapped them out for aftermarket wheels and tires (which I probably will do anyway). And from what others have noted who have swapped out their tires, the ride is much harsher with these run flat tires.
  • 64-color LED ambient lighting/ AMG illuminated front door sills ($310) This was a lower cost option and not really a regret, but not sure I would get it again. Not terrible, but not blown away either. Kind of “meh” on this one.
  • Multimedia Package/COMAND Nav ($2300)- This is one of the most expensive options on the car. And if I didn’t order it and not have it today I may have regretted it especially for the improved voice commands it offers. But regarding the nav/live traffic and other items it offers etc…I don’t really see the value for the money here.

Options I Regret I DIDN’T get
I ordered this car, so there really isn’t too many other options I wanted that I didn’t consider and/or order above. However, the following are maybe a few I may have enjoyed or found useful.
  • Parking Assistance Package ($1090)- This probably the biggest item I wish I did order. I didn’t get it because I live in the suburbs and probably have needed to parallel park a handful of times in 35 years of driving lol. But, I wish I had the 360 camera. Also at the time I thought it was a lot of $$$ for the camera, but now rethinking that decision.
  • HUD ($990) - The heads up display might have been cool, but $1000 for something I didn’t think I would really use that much seemed a bit excessive...or maybe not lol.
  • AMG Track Pace ($350)- Not really planning on tracking this car, but this was a relatively low cost option that I did see reviewed on some other videos and looked really cool. Maybe I should have sprung for it.

What are you spec regrets (if any)? What do you wish you ordered or wish you didn’t waste your money on?
This may seem trivial, but I regret only being able to use Android Auto via bluetooth.

I have the multimedia package and also park assist package. I love my options but really wish smartphone integration would have been an option that would work in conjunction with my other options.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by ColeB
This may seem trivial, but I regret only being able to use Android Auto via bluetooth.

I have the multimedia package and also park assist package. I love my options but really wish smartphone integration would have been an option that would work in conjunction with my other options.
I believe you're referring to wireless Android Auto? Both wireless AA and wireless CarPlay operate over Wi-Fi which offers way more data bandwidth compared to Bluetooth. Bluetooth could be used just for the initial pairing or exchange before starting the wireless AA/CarPlay each time, but further connection moves to Wi-Fi after that.

Even with wireless AA/CarPlay you would still need to charge your phone and induction charging is very slow in general, so you need a wired charger for that.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I believe you're referring to wireless Android Auto? Both wireless AA and wireless CarPlay operate over Wi-Fi which offers way more data bandwidth compared to Bluetooth. Bluetooth could be used just for the initial pairing or exchange before starting the wireless AA/CarPlay each time, but further connection moves to Wi-Fi after that.

Even with wireless AA/CarPlay you would still need to charge your phone and induction charging is very slow in general, so you need a wired charger for that.
In essence, yes I am able to use AA. However, not having the smartphone integration option limits my user experience.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Andrew Holler
Only thing I regret not getting is some kind of interior lighting package. There were only 2 MY19 coupes available in my region in the color I wanted (graphite grey, which is AWESOME btw) and the next dealer allocation for a build wasn't available to pick up until September (I purchased in late May) and didn't want to wait that long. No 64 color or even ambient lighting. It is SUPER dark in the cabin at night, which is okay, but just wish it had something to light it up a bit.

Other than that, it was pretty much loaded other than HUD and driver assistance packages, which didn't really interest me, I got the car to drive after all.
Interesting point you raise. My initial response was that you weren't really missing much by not having the ambient lighting package. But I've never driven a c43 without it either. I may have been taking it for granted (and you made me feel better about ordering it lol).

I would think there is some kind of tasteful aftermarket lighting you could have done that wouldn't entail having your car ripped apart or breaking the bank.

Congrats on your new car BTW!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 AM

c43
I haven’t received my 2020 sedan yet but I already regret not ordering the AMG Drive Unit. I wonder if it’s possible to install after-the-fact.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
I almost ordered it. but it wasn't available to C43 when I ordered it for some reasons (even though the ordering guide says available to c43).
Then I figured out there's no need for this option. Three buttons I will be using if optioned:
1. Exhaust button
2. suspension button
3. Different driving mode - C / S/ S+

The facelifted C class has a way to PRESET different modes. Say Sport mode, you can preset the exhaust to be ON and suspension to be at COMFORT. which makes the whole AMG drive unit pretty much useless as moving your right hand to the center control is sufficent to toggle different driving mode with all presets you configured.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by nikodes
I haven’t received my 2020 sedan yet but I already regret not ordering the AMG Drive Unit. I wonder if it’s possible to install after-the-fact.
Well I had the same issue when I ordered mine. I found out after the fact it was available for C43, I emailed dealer to add it to my build and they were able to. Not sure at what stage your build is at but if it has not started, you may be able to.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:22 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
--

Last edited by arnold0523; 09-10-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: duplicated post
Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
Well I had the same issue when I ordered mine. I found out after the fact it was available for C43, I emailed dealer to add it to my build and they were able to. Not sure at what stage your build is at but if it has not started, you may be able to.
What date did you add to your car? I wasn't able to in early - mid August. Just curious
Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by arnold0523
I almost ordered it. but it wasn't available to C43 when I ordered it for some reasons (even though the ordering guide says available to c43).
Then I figured out there's no need for this option. Three buttons I will be using if optioned:
1. Exhaust button
2. suspension button
3. Different driving mode - C / S/ S+

The facelifted C class has a way to PRESET different modes. Say Sport mode, you can preset the exhaust to be ON and suspension to be at COMFORT. which makes the whole AMG drive unit pretty much useless as moving your right hand to the center control is sufficient to toggle different driving mode with all presets you configured.
I have a 2019 facelifted C63S. Only the Individual mode can be preconfigured. All other modes can be overridden after you switch to that mode, but it's only a temporary override until you switch modes again.

The drive unit is also convenient to even select Individual without having to even scroll the rotary wheel. Just push the display (which acts a button) and it switches to Individual mode. You can also keep both hands on the steering wheel if you would like to switch back and forth in the middle of a drive, not so common but useful if you track your car.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:37 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I have a 2019 facelifted C63S. Only the Individual mode can be preconfigured. All other modes can be overridden after you switch to that mode, but it's only a temporary override until you switch modes again.

The drive unit is also convenient to even select Individual without having to even scroll the rotary wheel. Just push the display (which acts a button) and it switches to Individual mode. You can also keep both hands on the steering wheel if you would like to switch back and forth in the middle of a drive, not so common but useful if you track your car.
Damn I was wrong then!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by arnold0523
What date did you add to your car? I wasn't able to in early - mid August. Just curious
I just did this a few weeks ago. I placed my order for it in late July and about 2 weeks ago or so I asked the dealer to add this option after I had already selected all I wanted. I got confirmation from them it was added to the build two days later.