Sponsored by:

Car Is Cold Starting Every Hour After Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
This is a super weird thread. An engine cold starts if its temperature is below the normal operating temperature. Doesn't have to be completely cold for a cold start to occur. It cold starts whenever the engine has sat long enough to cool below its normal operating temperature. Main purpose is to get the oil in all the places quickly after it has settled to the bottom. If the ambient temperatures are lower the engine cools quicker, so cold start occurs sooner. This whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. I've never timed cold starts, but on my recent cars including my current C63 it happens multiple times throughout the day and it pretty much cold starts if the car has sat for as little as an hour or even shorter if the ambient temperatures are low enough. When the cold start happens is the oil temperature in the dash displayed in blue or white? Blue means the engine is below normal operating temperature and therefore will cold start.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by superswiss
This is a super weird thread. An engine cold starts if its temperature is below the normal operating temperature. Doesn't have to be completely cold for a cold start to occur. It cold starts whenever the engine has sat long enough to cool below its normal operating temperature. Main purpose is to get the oil in all the places quickly after it has settled to the bottom. If the ambient temperatures are lower the engine cools quicker, so cold start occurs sooner. This whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. I've never timed cold starts, but on my recent cars including my current C63 it happens multiple times throughout the day and it pretty much cold starts if the car has sat for as little as an hour or even shorter if the ambient temperatures are low enough. When the cold start happens is the oil temperature in the dash displayed in blue or white? Blue means the engine is below normal operating temperature and therefore will cold start.
The temps are white. Even if I was driving for 3hours and parked for 35mins to eat fruit with my inlaws on the side of the street. When I start my car and the Engine Temp is 90c+ and Trans Temp is 60c+, it will STILL COLD START!!!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Malar
So im gonna ask the important questions: How can we get this amazing update?

Just take it to the dealer and let them ruin your car. Easy. See the XENTRY printout i posted. It even has the software version.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
aftermarket exhaust.

you brought this on yourself lol
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by alexasa
aftermarket exhaust.

you brought this on yourself lol
We dont get PE in this country. Anyways a STOCK GLE43 had the same coldstarts. Tone was similar also, although GLE43s are louder than GLC43s i think.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Forgive my ignorance, but isnt putting it into gear before the idle goes down on its own bad for the car?
I’ll just repeat my post from above: it has nothing to do with cold starting and is in no way related to the engine temperature, but the exhaust temperature (specifically the cats). The engine overfuels to heat up the cats - it is purely an environmental feature meant to quickly bring the cats up to operating temperature to reduce the discharge of HCs. If anything, it is (slightly) better for the engine not to start up in this mode, as it is equivalent to turning on the ignition and immediately pressing the throttle, so selecting drive before it settles out does not hurt the engine in any way. I admit that I usually let it settle out before I drive off, but mostly as it gives the engine a few extra seconds to flow oil through the engine before it is loaded up.

I imagine that your car does what it does because of an update to the cars environmental management or because one of the lambda sensors has a dodgy temperature read out causing the ECU to think the exhaust is cold.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
We dont get PE in this country. Anyways a STOCK GLE43 had the same coldstarts. Tone was similar also, although GLE43s are louder than GLC43s i think.
But didn’t you get this aftermarket exhaust to be loud and annoying to others? I didn’t even get the exhaust upgrade because I’m not trying to annoy other with noise, so I can’t tell the different between cold and non cold starts
Old 11-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Thought I'd give an update to this problem for anybody else experiencing it. From the research that I did while I was experiencing this problem myself, its basically everybody who had their car's software update these past few months. Before you guys start asking again "where [you] can get this new and amazing update" know that this is more for the modified crowd. For the owners with aftermarket, un-resonated dual midpipe exhausts. On a stock, NON-PE Exhaust the cold start might sound cool or at the very least not be irritating. But on my car, it was downright embarrassing. It was sooo loud and obnoxious. It was embarrassing for me even sitting in the car, knowing that everybody else could hear it. Way way too loud and obnoxious for something that would happen every 20 mins. And yes it is 20mins. After living with this update for almost 2 months, the auto coldstart function which I thought was timed at about 45mins was actually 20mins.

Basically Jerry at Eurocharged fixed my coldstart issue. I am not a software engineer so I do not know exactly what he did or did not do, but from what I can tell, he significantly lowered the idle RPM during coldstarts. Previously my coldstarts would idle at 1500rpm but Jerry got the coldstart to idle at 600-700rpm instead. The result is my car is much much much quieter than before. So he didnt exactly write it out, he handicapped the coldstart. I am extremely extremely happy with the result.

Jerry did not owe me anything. I was just some random client of his that bought his V4 OBDII tune previously (which I love). The feature that I asked him to provide (coldstart delete) did not even exist at all for our platform (M276 DELA 30) so Jerry had to research it himself. It took him about a month to do on and off in his spare time. But 2 days ago he delivered. And boy did he deliver big. The coldstart is barely noticeable now. Jerry provided me with 3 stock maps to test his new coldstart delete. Only after I tested each map 1 at a time and OKAY each, did he give me the full V4 tune with the coldstart delete.

I cannot begin to thank him enough, because I know from our email correspondance, this took up a significant portion of his free time. I initially had regrets about going with EC's OBDII Tune over a local canned tuned. I thought, why would I need to keep flashing my ECU anyways? The whole thing seemed like a hassle, especially since it requires a battery charger. Having your local shop flash a canned tuned seemed much more convenient. Well needless to say I am glad I went with EC. Cause I do not believe anybody else would have been able to (or willing to) help me with my problem.

Regarding the Dealership:
Firstly, dont go to the dealership or anything dealership related. It is a complete waste of time. Not only will they not likely understand the problem, but even after they realize what the problem is they are incapable of handling it. Because Benz absolutely will NOT allow a dealership to rollback software versions. Even if the dealership WANTED to help you they cant because:
1. They dont have a software for you to even rollback to
2. Their hardware does not allow such a action to be performed because their updates can only go upwards.
3. No Matter how much you complain or how much the dealer or Benz HQ in whatever country you are in or Germany says they understand the issue and will try their best to help you, all they will likely do is tell the dealership to call you and schedule an inspection with you. After wasting 2-3 days of your time because you have to leave your car there (without a loaner) they will tell you there is nothing they can do.

After going back to the dealership a total of 4 times (including contacting the Benz Headquarters in my Country and also Benz Germany), the dealership told me they could not help me all 4 times. Even after agreeing that it was strange, abnormal and massively inconvenient, they offered me no solution and no suggestion. Each time after I tried to contact a higher level of Benz authority, all they did was tell the dealership to call me and tell me to come in. They knew exactly what my complaint was each time. There can be no mistake about this because all of their information came from the dealership who fully understood what my complaint was. Yet they still had the nerve to get me to come in and occupy my vehicle for 2-3 days each time, only to tell me they could not help at the end of it.

They knew the problem the way it was described and yet they still thought it appropriate to ask me to come in and waste my time....4 times....
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Thought I'd give an update to this problem for anybody else experiencing it. From the research that I did while I was experiencing this problem myself, its basically everybody who had their car's software update these past few months. Before you guys start asking again "where [you] can get this new and amazing update" know that this is more for the modified crowd. For the owners with aftermarket, un-resonated dual midpipe exhausts. On a stock, NON-PE Exhaust the cold start might sound cool or at the very least not be irritating. But on my car, it was downright embarrassing. It was sooo loud and obnoxious. It was embarrassing for me even sitting in the car, knowing that everybody else could hear it. Way way too loud and obnoxious for something that would happen every 20 mins. And yes it is 20mins. After living with this update for almost 2 months, the auto coldstart function which I thought was timed at about 45mins was actually 20mins.

Basically Jerry at Eurocharged fixed my coldstart issue. I am not a software engineer so I do not know exactly what he did or did not do, but from what I can tell, he significantly lowered the idle RPM during coldstarts. Previously my coldstarts would idle at 1500rpm but Jerry got the coldstart to idle at 600-700rpm instead. The result is my car is much much much quieter than before. So he didnt exactly write it out, he handicapped the coldstart. I am extremely extremely happy with the result.

Jerry did not owe me anything. I was just some random client of his that bought his V4 OBDII tune previously (which I love). The feature that I asked him to provide (coldstart delete) did not even exist at all for our platform (M276 DELA 30) so Jerry had to research it himself. It took him about a month to do on and off in his spare time. But 2 days ago he delivered. And boy did he deliver big. The coldstart is barely noticeable now. Jerry provided me with 3 stock maps to test his new coldstart delete. Only after I tested each map 1 at a time and OKAY each, did he give me the full V4 tune with the coldstart delete.

I cannot begin to thank him enough, because I know from our email correspondance, this took up a significant portion of his free time. I initially had regrets about going with EC's OBDII Tune over a local canned tuned. I thought, why would I need to keep flashing my ECU anyways? The whole thing seemed like a hassle, especially since it requires a battery charger. Having your local shop flash a canned tuned seemed much more convenient. Well needless to say I am glad I went with EC. Cause I do not believe anybody else would have been able to (or willing to) help me with my problem.

Firstly, dont go to the dealership or anything dealership related. It is a complete waste of time. Not only will they not likely understand the problem, but even after they realize what the problem is they are incapable of handling it. Because Benz absolutely will NOT allow a dealership to rollback software versions. Even if the dealership WANTED to help you they cant because:
2. Their hardware does not allow such a action to be performed because their updates can only go upwards.
3. No Matter how much you complain or how much the dealer or Benz HQ in whatever country you are in or Germany says they understand the issue and will try their best to help you, all they will likely do is tell the dealership to call you and schedule an inspection with you. After wasting 2-3 days of your time because you have to leave your car there (without a loaner) they will tell you there is nothing they can do.

After going back to the dealership a total of 4 times (including contacting the Benz Headquarters in my Country and also Benz Germany), the dealership told me they could not help me all 4 times. Even after agreeing that it was strange, abnormal and massively inconvenient, they offered me no solution and no suggestion. Each time after I tried to contact a higher level of Benz authority, all they did was tell the dealership to call me and tell me to come in. They knew exactly what my complaint was each time. There can be no mistake about this because all of their information came from the dealership who fully understood what my complaint was. Yet they still had the nerve to get me to come in and occupy my vehicle for 2-3 days each time, only to tell me they could not help at the end of it.

They knew the problem the way it was described and yet they still thought it appropriate to ask me to come in and waste my time....4 times....
Very cool that Jerry from EC took care of you. It sounds like EC is performing true custom tuning now for our platform. Are you going to re-install your old exhaust setup? I thought you went back to stock because of the cold start issue?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Very cool that Jerry from EC took care of you. It sounds like EC is performing true custom tuning now for our platform. Are you going to re-install your old exhaust setup? I thought you went back to stock because of the cold start issue?
Nah. What happened was before Jerry took care of me, I installed 2 resonators onto my FI-Exhaust instead. Since my FI-Exhaust was un-resonated, I had hoped that the 2 resonators would atleast DULL the coldstart sound.

They didnt work as I had hoped and turned out to be a giant waste of time and money. I am not even sure the resonators helped at all to be honest. Initially I thought they did, but after a few days I started to believe they didnt help. It did reduce low RPM drone though. If I could choose to have the resonators removed, I would. But the difference is not enough that I want to spend more money on removing them. And I definitely do not want to spend 3 hours of my time on it. The difference in sound isnt that much.

But yea if it was not for Jerry, my car would still be cold starting like a grenade.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Nah. What happened was before Jerry took care of me, I installed 2 resonators onto my FI-Exhaust instead. Since my FI-Exhaust was un-resonated, I had hoped that the 2 resonators would atleast DULL the coldstart sound.

They didnt work as I had hoped and turned out to be a giant waste of time and money. I am not even sure the resonators helped at all to be honest. Initially I thought they did, but after a few days I started to believe they didnt help. It did reduce low RPM drone though. If I could choose to have the resonators removed, I would. But the difference is not enough that I want to spend more money on removing them. And I definitely do not want to spend 3 hours of my time on it. The difference in sound isnt that much.

But yea if it was not for Jerry, my car would still be cold starting like a grenade.

I had actually thought about deleting resonator on my GLC and replacing it with a Y-pipe. I'm kinda glad I didn't since the cold start is pretty loud now. When we visited my wife's dad last he commented on it. He didn't believe it was stock at first and thought I modded it. I may still do it for my C450. It does not have the change in the cold start programming and starts normally.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:48 PM

C43

Oh man, that's so ****ty that Mercedes did not go out of their way to fix an issue you had with your car due to you making an aftermarket mod
Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by JonWu
Oh man, that's so ****ty that Mercedes did not go out of their way to fix an issue you had with your car due to you making an aftermarket mod

changing the mid pipes and muffler makes the car coldstart every 20mins?

wow I didnt know that
Old 11-06-2019, 10:34 PM

I had actually thought about deleting resonator on my GLC and replacing it with a Y-pipe. I'm kinda glad I didn't since the cold start is pretty loud now. When we visited my wife's dad last he commented on it. He didn't believe it was stock at first and thought I modded it. I may still do it for my C450. It does not have the change in the cold start programming and starts normally.
I was eating on the side of the road with my In-Laws last month, and when we finished, my 1st thought was 2 wait 2mins for them to leave 1st before I started the car so they wouldnt her the cold start.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM

C43
changing the mid pipes and muffler makes the car coldstart every 20mins?

wow I didnt know that
No, the problem is not the cold start frequency, which literally no one besides you even notices or cares about. The problem is the fact that YOUR coldstarts are so noticeable because you wanted to be extra obnoxious to start with and got an aftermarket exhaust, and now you are embarrassed because its too loud. How is that MB's problem? You yourself admitted that the stock exhaust sound fine with the cold starts
Old 11-07-2019, 09:35 AM

No, the problem is not the cold start frequency, which literally no one besides you even notices or cares about. The problem is the fact that YOUR coldstarts are so noticeable because you wanted to be extra obnoxious to start with and got an aftermarket exhaust, and now you are embarrassed because its too loud. How is that MB's problem? You yourself admitted that the stock exhaust sound fine with the cold starts
No you are changing the problem. I was always fully aware coldstarts were louder after the exhaust change.
No the problem is that the car coldstarts every 20mins. It is and has always been the central problem in each of my threads.
Since the coldstart can not be completely removed all I could do is reduce the volume of the sound.

It wasnt as bad before because it only coldstarted once a day, not every 20mins.

The exhaust was on my car for a full year before the update without 20min coldstarts. Conclusion? Not the exhaust.

My tune was also only installed a week after the update as well. Conclusion? Well i didnt have a tune so it.couldbt be that.

So yes it is absolutely the update. The dealer as well as Benz Germany both acknowledged.that it was the result of the update.

So how does that make the problem the result of my mods again? Not even the dealer blamed my exhaust. If they even remotely.believed that they would have told me that the first time and not had me come back 3 more visits and.waste everybody's time.

Also coldstarts are related to the ar heating up the cats. My cats are stock.

The reason the stock exhaust coldstart didnt bother me much was not only, cause of low volume but cause it only happened once a day. Not every 20mins.

And how do you know it doesnt bother anybody else? Did you ask anybody else? Cause I did. Lots of people who identified themselves as having this update found it annoying. Some of them stock.

If you want to attack me maybe you should stay on point and actually read my thread. Also stop talking out of your ***.

How loud and obnoxious I want my car to be should be done at my own discretion. Not because of a unavoidable 20mins coldstart.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
[QUOTE=waisoserious;7853780]I took my car is for service and also told them to update the cars software.
They updated the Engine Electronics Software and the 9G-Tronic software.

Now my car cold starts every hour, which is incredibly annoying. Everybody in the office.can hear the car.
Previously it would only cold start in the morning and if the car had not been driven for 5-6hours.

Now it will cold start every time the car has not been driven for an hour.

I can drive the car 40mins, park, come out 45mins later and it will COLD START AGAIN.

The engine and transmission oil temps seem normal upon cold starts as well, so I don't think it's an issue of the car actually being cold.

Hey there, being an owner of a cab c43 & a sedan...
I experienced this “problem” you’re having in both cars; neither cars have any aftermarket performance exhausts except for the amg package from the factory. It is simply the car warming up the cats since the cats have sat for an hour they’re prone to get cold!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
No you are changing the problem. I was always fully aware coldstarts were louder after the exhaust change.
No the problem is that the car coldstarts every 20mins. It is and has always been the central problem in each of my threads.
Since the coldstart can not be completely removed all I could do is reduce the volume of the sound.

It wasnt as bad before because it only coldstarted once a day, not every 20mins.

The exhaust was on my car for a full year before the update without 20min coldstarts. Conclusion? Not the exhaust.

My tune was also only installed a week after the update as well. Conclusion? Well i didnt have a tune so it.couldbt be that.

So yes it is absolutely the update. The dealer as well as Benz Germany both acknowledged.that it was the result of the update.

So how does that make the problem the result of my mods again? Not even the dealer blamed my exhaust. If they even remotely.believed that they would have told me that the first time and not had me come back 3 more visits and.waste everybody's time.

The reason the stock exhaust coldstart didnt bother me much was not only, cause of low volume but cause it only happened once a day. Not every 20mins.

And how do you know it doesnt bother anybody else? Did you ask anybody else? Cause I did. Lots of people who identified themselves as having this update found it annoying. Some of them stock.

If you want to attack me maybe you should stay on point and actually read my thread. Also stop talking out of your ***.

How loud and obnoxious I want my car to be should be done at my own discretion. Not because of a unavoidable 20mins coldstart.

Were you ever able to get the valves to rest in the closed position, or did it even make a difference? It seems like it should. If I could toggle my stock cold start between loud and quiet I would do it. I leave the house at 0530 so I know my neighbors would appreciate it
The following users liked this post:
waisoserious (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Were you ever able to get the valves to rest in the closed position, or did it even make a difference? It seems like it should. If I could toggle my stock cold start between loud and quiet I would do it. I leave the house at 0530 so I know my neighbors would appreciate it
The valves will not stay in the closed position if the car is parked for a long time (several hours). I dont know what the timer is, but they will open automatically after a while. But if the car is driven within 4-5 hours, the valves will stay closed if that is the position you left them in when you 1st parked. If you leave the valves closed and drive again within 4 hours, they will still be closed when you start the car next time. I know this because I get to the office at 8am and goto the gym during lunch at 12pm.

As far as I can tell, it does not make a noticible difference in coldstart loudness. That is if they are even able to close during coldstart. Because the vacuum pumps react much slower immediately upon coldstart than they do after the car has been driven for a little or even a warmed up start.

But eitherway, atleast for my exhaust, pressing the "closed" button either doesnt make much of a difference or the valves will not close until the coldstart is finished. Possibly because they are vacuum operated, maybe the air needs time to flow through those hoses?

I have looked at the underside of my muffler before during coldstart, because you can see the joints from the valves. If the joints are down valves are open, If the joints are not visible, then the valves are closed. I am not able to close the valves during the coldstart for atleast the 1st 10 seconds or so.

Last edited by waisoserious; 11-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 AM

C43

But the "problem" you are referring to is ONLY an annoyance if you have an aftermarket exhaust. You yourself said it sounds FINE with the stock exhaust, and the problem is that you are embarrassed when your co-workers have to hear your obnoxious car start up/.

IF YOU HAD THE STOCK EXHAUST THEN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE EMBARRASSED TO START YOUR CAR IN FRONT OF YOUR CO-WORKERS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ITS COLD, WARM, HOT, FLAMIN HOT, OR DANGEROUSLY CHEESY!

When MB is designing these upgrades, they are only considering how their stock equipment will handle these changes.

Also to your comments of "And how do you know it doesnt bother anybody else? Did you ask anybody else?" Did you read how multiple people were saying how they don't even understand what you are complaining about? The only people who have agreed with you are only in agreement that it is starting with a cold start, but not how embarrassingly loud their cars are.

Due to the fact that you have tuned your car and also made physical modifications to your car's exhaust, Mercedes doesn't even have to answer your calls with regards to how your car sounds, so the fact that they even acted like your warranty was still valid is actually extremely fair in their part.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:17 AM

But the "problem" you are referring to is ONLY an annoyance if you have an aftermarket exhaust. You yourself said it sounds FINE with the stock exhaust, and the problem is that you are embarrassed when your co-workers have to hear your obnoxious car start up/.

IF YOU HAD THE STOCK EXHAUST THEN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE EMBARRASSED TO START YOUR CAR IN FRONT OF YOUR CO-WORKERS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ITS COLD, WARM, HOT, FLAMIN HOT, OR DANGEROUSLY CHEESY!

When MB is designing these upgrades, they are only considering how their stock equipment will handle these changes.

Also to your comments of "And how do you know it doesnt bother anybody else? Did you ask anybody else?" Did you read how multiple people were saying how they don't even understand what you are complaining about? The only people who have agreed with you are only in agreement that it is starting with a cold start, but not how embarrassingly loud their cars are.

Due to the fact that you have tuned your car and also made physical modifications to your car's exhaust, Mercedes doesn't even have to answer your calls with regards to how your car sounds, so the fact that they even acted like your warranty was still valid is actually extremely fair in their part.
You say I'm the only one who cares about the coldstart sound when Mr. J is a few posts above me saying he has the same problem with a stock exhaust.

Yea its loud and annoying but it used to only happen once a day not every 20mins. Who the hell.wants to hear that every 20mins? Stock or not?

Also I already proved it was not the result of any mods causing the frequency of the coldstarts but you keep saying “well if you were stock it would be quieter”. Like that's the point and I should just throw away my exhaust that I already bought and worked properly before their software change.

The reduction of the coldstart sound is the compromise I had to make because there was no way to get the car to coldstart normally. Normally being once every 4 or 5 hours. The way it was when I bought the car. Not every 20mins like the update caused.

You're either choosing to ignore this cause you have your own agenda against me or you have reading comprehension problems and are exceedingly stupid.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Also you obviously have no idea how a warranty works. Because you keep screaming mods.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM

C43
Also you obviously have no idea how a warranty works. Because you keep screaming mods.
My understanding of how warranty works is that Mercedes figured out that they needed to implement this new cold start system due to whatever reason and now you have used our aftermarket tuning company to circumvent it, and when your car breaks in the future due to whatever it is Mercedes is trying to avoid by implementing the frequent cold starts, Mercedes is not going to honor your warranty. Is that how you understand your warranty works as well or do you think playing Fast n' Furious on your car has no unintended consequences other than going super fast?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Jon I hope you have a nice life.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM

C43
Jon I hope you have a nice life.
You too man, there are a lot of people out there other than yourself to blame things for, so stay safe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Is Cold Starting Every Hour After Updates