C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a roadtrip to NYC from Toronto. Bad idea on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Thinking about a roadtrip to NYC from Toronto. Bad idea on a lowered car?

Do you guys think this would be a really bad idea? Heard NY roads remind people of doomsday. I have 19" rims and car is lowered. Would hate to come back with all bent rims.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
You'll be fine. Drove my lowered C43 every day, still driving my lowered Tesla and C63s…
The following 2 users liked this post by NYCSoiL:
DVision44 (09-20-2019), munis (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 335is, 2019 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
Do you guys think this would be a really bad idea? Heard NY roads remind people of doomsday. I have 19" rims and car is lowered. Would hate to come back with all bent rims.
In my experience (parents lived in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island), NYC has the worst roads and arguably the most aggressive drivers I've ever encountered. If you're on the frail stock 19" rims, I'd be very wary of NYC and try to avoid it like the plague.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by viperx100
In my experience (parents lived in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island), NYC has the worst roads and arguably the most aggressive drivers I've ever encountered. If you're on the frail stock 19" rims, I'd be very wary of NYC and try to avoid it like the plague.
Two people saying two different things hahaha. This what I heard as well. I have a Honda Civic which can take this beating without a hiccup. I do not feel confident about my C43 however, considering I do not know the NY roads well and would probably fall on every single pothole on the way.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 335is, 2019 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Two people saying two different things hahaha. This what I heard as well. I have a Honda Civic which can take this beating without a hiccup. I do not feel confident about my C43 however, considering I do not know the NY roads well and would probably fall on every single pothole on the way.
NYCSoil definitely swapped his stock '19 C450/C43 wheels. I know this because he helped me choose the Niche wheels for my '19 C43 coupe. Regardless, the stock C43 wheels are known to crack and bend from not even the worst of NYC potholes.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Proper road maintenance isn't exactly a high priority or actually anything approaching a priority at all in most of NYC. However, if you pay close attention while driving in the city, you and your car can survive the experience. Just pay attention to where you choose to park while in the city as well. There is a reason why most NYC drivers end up with scuffed or dented front / rear bumpers.
The following users liked this post:
munis (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 539 Posts
c
i'd do it

haven't had any issues being lowered
The following users liked this post:
munis (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW
If you survive Toronto roads in your daily driving, then you have a great probability of doing just fine with one trip to NYC. Think about the roads you will take to get there,... New York state has some nice back roads that are in relatively decent shape compared to Ontario roads.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by buco
If you survive Toronto roads in your daily driving, then you have a great probability of doing just fine with one trip to NYC. Think about the roads you will take to get there,... New York state has some nice back roads that are in relatively decent shape compared to Ontario roads.
The only thing is that I know Toronto streets in and out and know which streets to avoid. And if a road is bad in Toronto, I slow right down, and Canadians being Canadians do not make a fuss about it. NY drivers will probably loose their **** if I slow down for a pothole haha. I am still thinking. Btw, which back roads do you recommend taking?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

Dude! If you are going to be parking on the streets in NYC take the beater. "Bump parking" is definitely a thing there.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Upstate NY isn't bad for a road trip. If you are not going on rush hours on weekdays, it might be alright.

But I'd feel stressed out once I enter Manhattan with the C43, especially if I have to find parking and then worry about getting knocked up while away. On business trip, I have driven, a rental, from LGA into the city during rush hour and the scene was quite stressful. There were sections where 3 lane roads turned into 5 lanes because everybody packed it all in. And driver's don't hold back on horns and attitude.

Not that Toronto is much nicer, the fact that NYC is way more dense makes my xp more stressful. You must be lucky that Toronto drivers are nice to you when you slow down for pot holes; I seem to end up with some pick-up trucks right up my *** when I try to avoid potholes in Toronto.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I rented a Red Ford Mustang convertible (not intentionally, but that was the only larger car than a mid-size car they had and I had booked a Full Size using National Emerald Club Executive) from LGA. I drove it all the way from Queens -> Brooklyn -> Brooklyn Bridge -> Manhattan (Downtown, Midtown and Uptown) and then took I-95 North to go further up. While returning I took a different route to avoid traffic, and because of that even though I did not have to go through Manhattan, I ended up driving through it on a Saturday night.

I just wanted to get a feel of how it is driving through NYC during the middle of a weekday. Coming from a country where I'm used to honking at every turn and intersection (but not driven there over the last 10 years), it did remind me a lot of that. Few things I learnt:

- If you drive in the left most (in one way streets) two and right most two lanes, be prepared to stop all the time for Ubers just stopping to drop off passengers or some loading cars/trucks or just emergency vehicles parked on the road (even if there is no emergency nearby).
- Lane markings do not matter, expect cars to drive all over.
- If you're the first car at the light when it's red, and you're thinking about using the gas only after you see the lights go green - just prepared to be honked and/or sometimes even bumped by cars behind. I saw this happen to another car in front of me.
- Right turn on Red is not allowed anywhere in New York City unless explicitly posted. I had read about this a long time ago, and I realized it only when I saw another car in front of me honoring this rule even when there was no pedestrian crossing the intersection.
- You need to learn to drive like others in NYC and then you will find that it's so easy to manage, otherwise it's hard to manage.

On top of that the roads are full of potholes, not just in NYC but even over freeways all the way from NYC to Boston. There was so much rain when I was driving to the airport on the day I was dropping of my car, and at one point a giant SUV next to me just sloshed a few gallons of water from the pothole in its lane on to my car that I could not see anything on my windshield for next 3 seconds - LoL.

I was so glad that it was just a car rental. It had hardly run a few hundred miles when I had picked up the car and had taken up a lot of abuse during the trip primarily due to bad roads. I felt so bad for the owner the car would be sold to after a few years.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
NYC Roads are awful. Upstate NY roads up near Saratoga are ok. Lots of fresh pavement where I live and it makes for a nice ride.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mcschan86
Upstate NY isn't bad for a road trip. If you are not going on rush hours on weekdays, it might be alright.

But I'd feel stressed out once I enter Manhattan with the C43, especially if I have to find parking and then worry about getting knocked up while away. On business trip, I have driven, a rental, from LGA into the city during rush hour and the scene was quite stressful. There were sections where 3 lane roads turned into 5 lanes because everybody packed it all in. And driver's don't hold back on horns and attitude.

Not that Toronto is much nicer, the fact that NYC is way more dense makes my xp more stressful. You must be lucky that Toronto drivers are nice to you when you slow down for pot holes; I seem to end up with some pick-up trucks right up my *** when I try to avoid potholes in Toronto.
Toronto roads are bad, but from what I heard so far, not NY bad.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Bro, you will be fine. Granted i did not drive from Toronto to NY, i did take my lowered coupe to Montreal and it was fine. If you can dip on the potholes you will be golden, i am lowered with a front lip and i do not scrape when going to the city. Also let me know when you coming here **** lol.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
Originally Posted by ShazV6
Bro, you will be fine. Granted i did not drive from Toronto to NY, i did take my lowered coupe to Montreal and it was fine. If you can dip on the potholes you will be golden, i am lowered with a front lip and i do not scrape when going to the city. Also let me know when you coming here **** lol.

I drive in NY often on my coupe... both NJ and NYC have horrible roads but if you pay attention and have the wheel you should have no issues. And if ya'll are meeting up holla at your boy!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
I live in Jersey and the roads are not good here either, but like you in Toronto, I know which roads to take and/or avoid.

I guess it would also depend on how equipped you are to handle the situation if you bent a rim. Do you have 19" AMG wheels that are prone to bending? If so do you have the wheel insurance?

I also have the 19" AMG wheels and I don't think I would do it...but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by DVision44
I drive in NY often on my coupe... both NJ and NYC have horrible roads but if you pay attention and have the wheel you should have no issues. And if ya'll are meeting up holla at your boy!
I got you bro, think i still have your #