Sponsored by:

Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe (RIP), 2023 C43 AMG Sedan
Rain Sensor

So I recently replaced the front windshield on my C43, after that I went and got it tinted (just an eyebrow). Later that week it started raining and noticed the auto wipers were not working.
So I went to the dealer and said the sensors weren't working and they tested. Apparently they tested the continuity and it was getting voltage so they came to the conclusion that the tint was too dark and it was effecting the sensor. Then I asked how that's possible if the sensor is on the windshield on the outside while the tint is on the inside and they said the sensor is on the rear view mirror.
Long story but short question, my question is, is that true? Is the sensor on the windshield not the rain sensor + forward collision sensor?
Thanks for the responses/help.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
Nope it is the little detector in the middle of the black field in the windshield. It has to be recalibrated after windshiels replacement. The detector has to sit in very close proximity to the windshield and must be calibrated exactly right as it sends an IR beam at an angle towards the windshield and meassures the reflected light. That means that every time you move the mirror, you would need to have the rain sensor recalibrated.

so back to the dealership and tell them to do their work properly
Old 12-27-2019, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
I have my windshield tinted - the entire thing.

The windshield replacement should have recalibrated everything - usually done at their shop - mobile service does not work for this.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe (RIP), 2023 C43 AMG Sedan
Thanks!
Does the dealer or the 3rd party they contract the work out to (or whatever) recalibrate it? Either way I have to bring it to the dealer, I know that, but I’m just wondering.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
The assembly with the sensors is right up against the windshield and the tint you had applied goes around that so the tint will not effect the sensors. The dealer needs to recalibrate the car.