C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C43 should always be driven with traction off (Sport Handling Mode)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,936 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
This may be unrelated, but feels like it's in the same wheelhouse. I enabled the "Individual" mode and tweaked some settings, suspension exhaust etc. I noticed while driving using "I" mode, throttle response is TERRIBLE. I also noticed while on the highway at 60mph cruising speed, that If i take my foot off the gas, the dash displays no gear number until I mash the gas, wait through the latencey and it kicks back in. It really feels like the car is in neutral for a few seconds before reengaging the gear. What am I missing here? What is best practice for configuring "I" mode? Did i hit the "idiot button" somehow?
Figured I'd wait for my 10k service to bring it up with the dealer as all other modes seem to work just fine. Any info you guys can offer on "I" mode would be a big help
-Murder-
How do you have your "Individual" configured, in particular the Drive setting. What you are describing sounds like the Glide mode, which is explained in the owner's manual. It's only active in Comfort on pre-FL AMG models and in Slippery on FL models. As far as "Individual" is concerned it's active on pre-FL if the Drive mode is set to Comfort and on FL if the Drive mode is set to Reduced.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG C43
On pre-FL C43 the Glide mode is only enabled in Economy mode. I have never done Comfort or Economy in the Individual mode, so can't say for sure in Individual.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jdubya01
On pre-FL C43 the Glide mode is only enabled in Economy mode. I have never done Comfort or Economy in the Individual mode, so can't say for sure in Individual.
Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't quite sure how it worked on the pre-FL and it may be different for the C43 as well. For the 2019+ C63/S Glide mode is only active in I* and only if drivetrain is set to Reduced. Otherwise it's never active, not even in any of the standard modes. One actually has to be in I* with drivetrain in Reduced mode for Glide mode to be active. Also ECO start/stop has to be enabled.
The following users liked this post:
HighSun_Murder (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Welp, that's some good Intel. I have a 2020 so guess you would say c43-FL. Sounds like the configuration your describing is accurate as to how I have it set up. What is the purpose of "Glide Mode"? and if I'm understanding correctly, if I have the engine in reduced with auto off (eco mode) enabled, this trigers glide mode. So, all I would have to do is change the engine setting to Sport or Sport+ and this will resolve the "issue" I'm experiencing with my "I" configuration?
how do others have *I set up?

...Also thanks A LOT! This is really helpful!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
Welp, that's some good Intel. I have a 2020 so guess you would say c43-FL. Sounds like the configuration your describing is accurate as to how I have it set up. What is the purpose of "Glide Mode"? and if I'm understanding correctly, if I have the engine in reduced with auto off (eco mode) enabled, this trigers glide mode. So, all I would have to do is change the engine setting to Sport or Sport+ and this will resolve the "issue" I'm experiencing with my "I" configuration?
how do others have *I set up?

...Also thanks A LOT! This is really helpful!
The purpose of Glide mode is to save fuel. The car basically coasts under its own momentum. It will disengage the transmission from the engine, and the engine will idle. I don't think the engine turns off, but at least it idles and the car basically continues to roll under its own momentum w/o being slowed down by engine drag/braking. It activates as soon as you take your foot off the throttle pedal. ECO start/stop has to be on, otherwise Glide mode will not activate. So the parameters for 2019+ as far as I know is Drive mode needs to be in I* with engine/drivetrain setting on Reduced and ECO start/stop ON (green light on). Then when you are cruising and taking your foot off the throttle pedal you should feel the engine rpm drop to idle and the car gliding along. There's also supposed to be an icon showing up in the instrument cluster that looks like a sailboat indicating that you are gliding. Sometimes this mode is also referred to as sailing.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by superswiss:
HighSun_Murder (02-07-2020), jdubya01 (02-09-2020), lozersk8er (02-08-2020), viperx100 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Again Great Intel!! You Da man!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
After 30k miles, I have the individual mode S+ engine, suspension, and ESP set to sport. I wish I could split the throttle response and the transmission shift points, but alas...manual upshifts are easy.

The comfort mode is a harsh nanny. you can't toss the car, or get it anything but straight and calm.

ESP sport lets the car slide a bit and loosens up the whole feel.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
It seems that ESP intervention is much more aggressive on the newer vehicles. In my c450 I need to be in 1st or 2nd gear, close to WOT, with lots of steering angle before ESP bogs it down. I'm sure it's still actively braking to xfer power across the axles and that chews up brakes fast. I'm trying to remember to hit the fun button more often. I have a long commute that runs from rural highways with lots of Super Trooper to county roads that have zero police presence. So I use cruise control in the heavily patrolled areas and hoon it on the backroads. If I can train myself to always hit the fun button before playing, maybe I can get more than 25,000mi out of this set of brakes.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Originally Posted by Nib95
Seriously, this button on the bottom left should be the first button you press when you get in your car (to put it into Sport Handling Mode), irrespective of the driving mode you'll be driving in, and even if it's wet or cold (so long as it isn't snowy or icy).

Not only will you still retain an absurd amount of grip and traction (using Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's even in the wet I still can't get it to wheelspin, and can only get it to skid a tad during dangerously high speed cornering), but more importantly, your handling dynamics, steering responsiveness, corner exit speeds, overall level of control and steering precision will all notably increase. Add to that, you know that Sport+ jerkiness that can rear its ugly head on occasion? It will be considerably less likely to occur. For whatever reason the car is far less erratic at slow speeds in Sport+ with traction off (Sport Handling Mode active), than it is with traction on.

I wish there was a way the car could default with traction off, as it really is the best way to drive the car imo.
so what foes pressing the button and holding it do. Sounds like you stated traction off but not truly off unless you hold the button and it will say traction control off. Isn't this the best handling setting for the vehicle to be true?
Old 03-05-2022, 05:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
I just rolled 40,000 miles, almost exclusively in S+M, the majority of which through windy roads and miles of straights on my daily commute, and have never once a) thought I’m lacking on traction, b) I need to press more buttons than Mercedes already requires me to the moment I start the car, c) pushing another button is worth not being able to use cruise control when I’m trapped behind a blue hair going 54mph in a 55mph stretch of 2 lane.

Imagine talking **** about missing irony when you’ve both already missed me rounding my OP with acknowledging it. And I didn’t call anyone dumb...nanananabooboo ya ****

People still use cruise control?! LOL! I didn’t even know our cars had it anymore. I guess when I become a “blue hair” or wanna go out and get hammered, cruise could become useful I suppose. But I guess 48 is still too young to be thinking about cruise control.

And the traction control button being on is like having a boa constrictor squeezing the performance out of your car in every aspect. It reduces power from the throttle, it sucks if you get stuck in snow, you can’t get out. The car will not fish tail since the front end is getting more power than the rear is and if it’s raining or snowing outside, you should probably not be driving like an idiot anyway. It’s Sh***y out, slow down! Lol. And driving in M mode all the time is like da like an oxymoron lol. You set the cruise so you’re doing less, yet you wanna shift gears the entire time the blue hair is holding you back on the highway.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
I'm about to replace my second set of rear brake pads at 75k miles.
My Individual mode is set for Sport plus suspension, Sport for wheel/throttle/transmission, and ESP Sport mode. This also shuts off the auto/stop nonsense.

Get in car. Hit mode button one forward. Done.

The Comfort mode is to not upset grandma, the chassis and I'm sure the throttle/shift points are designed for the EPA cycle, not the real world. You cannot get the back to move. I tried on a track.
Sport IMHO is the normal setting....the rubber bands in the throttle in Comfort are stupid.....and in sport you can move the chassis a bit....but just a bit.
Sport +/TC off you are on your own, but 4matic still works to save you.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Late to the party on this one, but I 100% agree that T/C should be shut off immediately upon starting up. First thing I do in all but ice/snow conditions.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 173 Posts
Amg C43
These cars are the perfect drunk driver ( I’m joking )
but they will avoid cars , change lanes & park them selves

haha
Old 03-10-2022, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
For sure, truly love the dual personality of these vehicles, gentleman with a press of a button or an "aggressive" gentleman instead.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
I’m personally able to get glide mode in individual mode with both moderate and reduced engine settings. 2019 c43 sedan. I wish it was able to be enabled on the sports or sports+ mode because I find myself changing out of sport simply to get into glide mode