MSS Spring Kit Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
MSS Spring Kit Review

Among my circle of friends, I have had the opportunity to drive a few variants of the C43 and from various model years.

2017 C43 Wagon
2017 C43 Cabriolet
2019 C43 Sedan
2019 C43 Wagon

Whether you might feel it or not - and everyone's perception is different - the consistent issue I have with the C43 across the four variants and model years is that they all have slow damping oscillations in Comfort. You may not feel it, so it may be a non-issue for you. I certainly feel it, and it bugs me. In Sport and Sport+, the damping gets better and the oscillations disappear. This is usually a sign of not enough rebound damping for a given spring rate. So either increase damping, or reduce spring rate. (I have quite a bit of experience tuning coilovers for customers as it is part of my job).

The following is what I perceive and what I perceive alone, and you may not have the same perceptions.

Anyway, I have tried KW HAS and now MSS Springs. KW HAS has a pretty similar feel to stock, but lower, and suffers from similar oscillations as stock springs.

MSS springs have a totally different design philosophy. They lower the spring rate, but increase the preload. This makes the ride very comfortable, and the upside to all this is that the softer spring rate matches the Comfort damping pretty well.

I used to drive exclusively in Sport+ mode with the stock springs because that was where I felt there was enough damping resistance for the spring rate.

Now, I drive in Comfort mode with MSS Springs because I need less damping to match the spring rate.

The downside of all this is that roll-resistance is somewhat decreased.

The other aspect that you will have to know when considering the MSS Spring Kit is that it only lowers a maximum of 10mm in the front.

Having driven my car on MSS Springs for the last 4 months and 2000 miles, this has not changed.

That being said, while I had originally intended to only lower the car slightly and get rid of the oscillations in Comfort, I have finally caught the mod bug and I'm going to go lower with a more sporty ride. The MSS Springs are coming out of the car and I'm going to explore other options. They will be on sale if anyone is interested!

Last edited by TModelle; 03-04-2020 at 07:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TModelle:
AMGiggity (03-04-2020), Mr. J (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Thanks for the thread. I think compiling some images of the different users would be great too.

The KW HAS allows you to tuck tire - if you had so desired. So really different end results - I also believe at max height it would be close to stock if not the 10mm lower like the max low on this MSS kit.

Can't agree more. I was like 2 finger gap will be perfect. Then I wanted no finger gap less than a month later. This car is super easy to drive low - no clearance issues anywhere despite being fairly low (practical low for a DD anyways).
Old 03-04-2020, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
All cars below are on MSS kit:

The cab looks lowest, yours next and finally the car on BBS.

Last edited by alexasa; 03-04-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
I like the sportier feel of the KW HAS but not the damping issues (to me), so I’m going with KW V3’s. That way I can dial out any damping issues to my preference. I don’t need the damping modes, as I tend to keep it on one setting and leave it there. I’m so particular with my damping settings that depending on what springs I’m on, only one of the three modes feels right to me, so I really only use one mode. The advantage of the V3’s is that the front shocks are built with an additional 15mm of piston movement and 5mm more in the rear than stock shocks.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by alexasa

Nice compilation! Thanks!

Perhaps the angle of the photo for the cab makes it look lower? I don’t know.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by TModelle
I like the sportier feel of the KW HAS but not the damping issues (to me), so I’m going with KW V3’s. That way I can dial out any damping issues to my preference. I don’t need the damping modes, as I tend to keep it on one setting and leave it there. I’m so particular with my damping settings that depending on what springs I’m on, only one of the three modes feels right to me, so I really only use one mode. The advantage of the V3’s is that the front shocks are built with an additional 15mm of piston movement and 5mm more in the rear than stock shocks.
I would do the same but the cost is high for that option. I do not really care to have 3 different settings so it would be of no consequence - especially considering that single set option is going to be better than any of the preset factory settings lol
Old 03-04-2020, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
I would do the same but the cost is high for that option. I do not really care to have 3 different settings so it would be of no consequence - especially considering that single set option is going to be better than any of the preset factory settings lol
Cost is a big factor for sure. But considering the cost of the car where I’m from, it is quite a small proportion. Different factors in different parts of the world. Anyway, I get a good price because I’m in the trade, which is definitely a welcomed advantage.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1995 e320
I certainly can't say I have noticed decreased roll resistance and I would wager as far as "spirited driving" is concerned I am putting this car through the paces much more than most. My main thing is aesthetically these springs suck. Of course now that I get a set installed a thread starts but before I purchased them the ONLY picture online I could find is the cab which was taken by a guy that works for MSS and is purposely deceptive.

Last edited by Clark Griswold; 03-04-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold
I certainly can't say I have noticed decreased roll resistance.
I find the MSS springs very soft. Softer than stock springs. The effect of softer springs is that you will have more roll, and indeed that's what I feel compared to stock springs, or KW HAS springs
Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
I certainly can't say I have noticed decreased roll resistance and I would wager as far as "spirited driving" is concerned I am putting this car through the paces much more than most. My main thing is aesthetically these springs suck. Of course now that I get a set installed a thread starts but before I purchased them the ONLY picture online I could find is the cab which was taken by a guy that works for MSS and is purposely deceptive.
I have been on email with them for quite a while now. They said let it settle for 2000 miles. From my experience, no spring takes that long to settle. I made measurements, and the drop is only 10mm in the front. That MSS guy on another thread specifically said that it would lower up to 30mm.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 AM

1995 e320
I find the MSS springs very soft. Softer than stock springs. The effect of softer springs is that you will have more roll, and indeed that's what I feel compared to stock springs, or KW HAS springs

this is a half to a quarter true. 720s mcclarens springs "feel soft".
Old 03-04-2020, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
this is a half to a quarter true. 720s mcclarens springs "feel soft".
No, it is a certainty. When tuning the suspension of a car, softer springs with the same sway bar will result in more roll every time. It's just physics.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 AM

1995 e320
No, it is a certainty. When tuning the suspension of a car, softer springs with the same sway bar will result in more roll every time. It's just physics.

k
Old 03-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe

I don't really see much of a difference over stock?
Old 03-04-2020, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
I don't really see much of a difference over stock?
that's kinda the whole point - these only provide a very minor drop - almost imperceptible IMO (at least on the grey sedan)

Old 03-04-2020, 02:23 PM

1995 e320
You’re just looking at different angles of same height
Old 03-04-2020, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
I’ve exchanged dozens of emails with MSS months ago and they had me do all sorts of measurements and take photos, etc. and finally they said you have to drive the car for 2000 miles before you can get more than the 10mm drop and to get back to them after the 2000 miles. Now that I get back to them they seem to have forgotten the case, how convenient. I believe I am not the only one with the same problem, but their standard answer is to drive 2000 miles. And then give you the run around all over again. At the end of the day, my takeaway with this product and the people behind the company is only get this product if you can accept a maximum of 10mm drop in the front and don’t bother with dialogue with them because they are not listening. You know the type, where they give you the run around, verbose but really not listening, a one way street.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
that's kinda the whole point - these only provide a very minor drop - almost imperceptible IMO (at least on the grey sedan)

If they're a bit softer and if they play well with the stock dampers these springs could be a good comfort mod.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Mr. J
If they're a bit softer and if they play well with the stock dampers these springs could be a good comfort mod.
Yes, I agree.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 PM

1995 e320
I’ve exchanged dozens of emails with MSS months ago and they had me do all sorts of measurements and take photos, etc. and finally they said you have to drive the car for 2000 miles before you can get more than the 10mm drop and to get back to them after the 2000 miles. Now that I get back to them they seem to have forgotten the case, how convenient. I believe I am not the only one with the same problem, but their standard answer is to drive 2000 miles. And then give you the run around all over again. At the end of the day, my takeaway with this product and the people behind the company is only get this product if you can accept a maximum of 10mm drop in the front and don’t bother with dialogue with them because they are not listening. You know the type, where they give you the run around, verbose but really not listening, a one way street.

can you post some side shots.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
can you post some side shots.
I don’t have a side shot, but here are some shots at an angle. Does a picture really matter if we have height delta info? The drop is 10mm. I prefer to talk in terms of measurements.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Latest update is that MSS is going to send me some development parts so that we can try to achieve a proper height range for the product.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:37 AM

1995 e320
Latest update is that MSS is going to send me some development parts so that we can try to achieve a proper height range for the product.

interesting. As a result of this thread or what? seems timely
Old 03-05-2020, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
interesting. As a result of this thread or what? seems timely
I sent them email requesting a solution. It has been 4 months of correspondence.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Facelift
KW V3 comparison to MSS springs?

Among my circle of friends, I have had the opportunity to drive a few variants of the C43 and from various model years.

2017 C43 Wagon
2017 C43 Cabriolet
2019 C43 Sedan
2019 C43 Wagon

Whether you might feel it or not - and everyone's perception is different - the consistent issue I have with the C43 across the four variants and model years is that they all have slow damping oscillations in Comfort. You may not feel it, so it may be a non-issue for you. I certainly feel it, and it bugs me. In Sport and Sport+, the damping gets better and the oscillations disappear. This is usually a sign of not enough rebound damping for a given spring rate. So either increase damping, or reduce spring rate. (I have quite a bit of experience tuning coilovers for customers as it is part of my job).

The following is what I perceive and what I perceive alone, and you may not have the same perceptions.

Anyway, I have tried KW HAS and now MSS Springs. KW HAS has a pretty similar feel to stock, but lower, and suffers from similar oscillations as stock springs.

MSS springs have a totally different design philosophy. They lower the spring rate, but increase the preload. This makes the ride very comfortable, and the upside to all this is that the softer spring rate matches the Comfort damping pretty well.

I used to drive exclusively in Sport+ mode with the stock springs because that was where I felt there was enough damping resistance for the spring rate.

Now, I drive in Comfort mode with MSS Springs because I need less damping to match the spring rate.

The downside of all this is that roll-resistance is somewhat decreased.

The other aspect that you will have to know when considering the MSS Spring Kit is that it only lowers a maximum of 10mm in the front.

Having driven my car on MSS Springs for the last 4 months and 2000 miles, this has not changed.

That being said, while I had originally intended to only lower the car slightly and get rid of the oscillations in Comfort, I have finally caught the mod bug and I'm going to go lower with a more sporty ride. The MSS Springs are coming out of the car and I'm going to explore other options. They will be on sale if anyone is interested!
I'm looking to solve the same suspensions issue that you mention. Did you ever try KW V3's? I'm curious how you would compare the ride of the KW V3s to the MSS springs. I'm looking to improve comfort and lower the front by around 10mm and rear by 20mm. Do the KW V3's require me to lower more than that? Was the only issue with the MSS springs the fact that they didn't lower as much as advertised?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MSS Spring Kit Review