AMG Performance Exhaust vs AMG Normal Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 02:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Exclamation AMG Performance Exhaust vs AMG Normal Exhaust

Hi guys.

I am planning to buy this beast that has normal amg exhaust (no button for PE exhaust on console) and have a question to owners of c43.
Does performance exhaust really that much different from normal one? I have just watched couple of videos on Youtube, but it does not really transfer the difference.
Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to try them both since we don't have an option to test-drive it in our town.

P.S. Can somebody make or share a video with same type of recordings, but with Performance Exhaust?
Please see videos attached.

с43 amg with normal exhaust
Attached Files
Old 09-28-2020, 03:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by Yuriy_Moscow
Hi guys.

I am planning to buy this beast that has normal amg exhaust (no button for PE exhaust on console) and have a question to owners of c43.
Does performance exhaust really that much different from normal one? I have just watched couple of videos on Youtube, but it does not really transfer the difference.
Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to try them both since we don't have an option to test-drive it in our town.

P.S. Can somebody make or share a video with same type of recordings, but with Performance Exhaust?
Please see videos attached.

с43 amg with normal exhaust
Yes, the factory AMG Performance Exhaust is noticeably louder and sounds a lot better. It also adds burbles and pops when upshifting/downshifting while above 4,000-ish rpm as well (this is due to being in Dynamic engine mode, I'm actually not sure if the C43 without PE will have it, but I am sure if they have the burbles and pops, it would be quieter). I honestly would not have gotten my 2020 C43 without the PE. In fact, I could have saved about $3k if I had bought another C43 at a different dealership, but after hearing the PE, I had to have it.

I would record a video/sound recording of mine but it wont be accurate. It comes down to what kind of microphone is recording and if it can pick up all the notes. It also depends on what kind of speakers you are using to play back the sound as well. On top of that, a lot of microphones will adjust to equalize sound automatically, making it nearly impossible to record an accurate note without having an actual microphone meant for these things.

You can of course go with aftermarket exhausts, but the nice thing about the factory PE is that droning is practically non-existent when you're cruising. It is much more refined than an aftermarket exhaust. I've also heard a few aftermarket exhausts in person for the C43 and although it is louder, it's just a low, bassy, annoying sound instead of the crisp PE from the factory; of course this part is purely subjective.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
The AMG PE is the one reason I chose this car over the S5 and M340i. It sounds that good....
Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
C43
If you can option the PE 100% get the PE. You can't replicate the sound through aftermarket and it sounds incredible. Only thing that sounds as good is the Brabus exhaust and that's a $7000 purchase. I retrofitted a version of the PE (c63s mid-pipe) but it was hard to source and cost slightly more than optioning it would have. Buying it new from Mercedes is extremely expensive and you won't get the dynamic exhaust control unless you get it optioned from factory
Old 09-29-2020, 03:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Originally Posted by Ramsino
Yes, the factory AMG Performance Exhaust is noticeably louder and sounds a lot better. It also adds burbles and pops when upshifting/downshifting while above 4,000-ish rpm as well (this is due to being in Dynamic engine mode, I'm actually not sure if the C43 without PE will have it, but I am sure if they have the burbles and pops, it would be quieter). I honestly would not have gotten my 2020 C43 without the PE. In fact, I could have saved about $3k if I had bought another C43 at a different dealership, but after hearing the PE, I had to have it.

I would record a video/sound recording of mine but it wont be accurate. It comes down to what kind of microphone is recording and if it can pick up all the notes. It also depends on what kind of speakers you are using to play back the sound as well. On top of that, a lot of microphones will adjust to equalize sound automatically, making it nearly impossible to record an accurate note without having an actual microphone meant for these things.

You can of course go with aftermarket exhausts, but the nice thing about the factory PE is that droning is practically non-existent when you're cruising. It is much more refined than an aftermarket exhaust. I've also heard a few aftermarket exhausts in person for the C43 and although it is louder, it's just a low, bassy, annoying sound instead of the crisp PE from the factory; of course this part is purely subjective.
Thank you. I see. I have tried GLA 45 AMG with PE exhaust and was shocked how good the car sounded. In acceleration, changing gear, in idle...That is why now very concerned about this car I am about to buy without PE. Modifying exhaust is an option, but I don't really want to do it since the car still under warranty and dealers don't like when we make adjustments to the car in my country.

Originally Posted by Diirek
The AMG PE is the one reason I chose this car over the S5 and M340i. It sounds that good....
Yeah. Sounds better than all of them for sure.

Originally Posted by Trekt43
If you can option the PE 100% get the PE. You can't replicate the sound through aftermarket and it sounds incredible. Only thing that sounds as good is the Brabus exhaust and that's a $7000 purchase. I retrofitted a version of the PE (c63s mid-pipe) but it was hard to source and cost slightly more than optioning it would have. Buying it new from Mercedes is extremely expensive and you won't get the dynamic exhaust control unless you get it optioned from factory
The thing with me is that I don't have an option. Looking at the used car that doesn't have PE installed from factory. I understand that it will be hard to modify it and not sure if I will be able to reach the same sound as with PE installed...

With your comments, I need to think one more time should I go for this car or not

Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Thank you. I see. I have tried GLA 45 AMG with PE exhaust and was shocked how good the car sounded. In acceleration, changing gear, in idle...That is why now very concerned about this car I am about to buy without PE. Modifying exhaust is an option, but I don't really want to do it since the car still under warranty and dealers don't like when we make adjustments to the car in my country.

Yeah. Sounds better than all of them for sure.

The thing with me is that I don't have an option. Looking at the used car that doesn't have PE installed from factory. I understand that it will be hard to modify it and not sure if I will be able to reach the same sound as with PE installed...

With your comments, I need to think one more time should I go for this car or not

In my personal experience I didn’t do much research on the 450 and 43 I ended up going with the 450 cause I “thought” it had the PE option. Which it doesn’t. Now 2 years later I decided to upgrade and switch over to the C43 with PE. I will tell you it makes a world of difference. You’ll love the car even more. The standard Sport Exhaust doesn’t do this car any justice. AMG Performance Exhaust is where it’s at. If you can actually do with out having it and you love this black C43 you’re looking at then go for it. I think you should find one with PE. You might regret it later on down the line.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
The C43 PE actually sounds better than the A/CLA/GLA 45 PE. The V6 might add to it, not sure, but it sounds lower and throatier.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Former: A long list of BMWs Current: 2020 PE C43 Sedan
So this may be a Canada-only thing, but up here the PE is bundled into an "AMG Driver's Package" option, almost all of which ended up being absolute musts in my case. I don't believe that you can add it a la carte (again, not in Canada anyhow).

Specifically, the Driver's Package gives you -
  • AMG Nappa/DINAMICA Performance steering wheel
  • AMG DRIVE UNIT - configurable steering wheel buttons for drive modes and specific settings
  • AMG Performance Exhaust System
  • AMG Track Pace - maps of famous race courses (I believe you can download more), and configurable telemetry displays during track runs.
  • Top speed increase
  • AMG 19" wheels - couldn't possible go without it. This isn't actually listed in the package, but is added automatically when you select it.

All of that for $2400 CAD was a no-brainer IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-28-2020)