Sponsored by:

auxiliary battery malfunction 2016 c450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 04:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by netboy
Mercedes is really going to the toilet !
Called Mercedes Roadside Assistance, since my warranty is expired, they charged me 75$ for roadside.
Then sent a independent contractor who has no experience with Mercedes and installed a aftermarket battery.
Good thing i read it on the internet that you need to remove the start/stop button before removing/installing battery, he never mention anything about that.
Also i heard you need to reset the battery counter on the Mercedes, he never did that either.

If i have known, i would just call AAA roadside assistance myself (i'm a member) and saved me 75$ or take the car to Mercedes dealer and installed OEM battery and reset the battery counter !

Im not sure where you read that you need to remove start stop or reset battery counter, but unless my C450 is any different than any other car, I didn’t do either and I just changed both my “auxiliary” battery and my main battery about two months ago amd didn’t do anything at all except disconnect the main battery first, replaced the auxiliary battery and then installed new main battery and started her up and it’s been fine ever since. It actually runs better and everything works more efficiently. My main battery was running with a low charge and was about 5 years old. But as far as taking my eco start off first and/or resetting the battery counter (didn’t even know there was one), I did it just like I would a Chevrolet and I haven’t had one problem and I drive the **** out of my car and average over a 100 miles a day 7 days a week. Just swap the battery out and drive it.

I’ll tell you what it did do though.. the first time I started it, it went through a “set up” phase where it seemed like it was communicating with the satellites or something and the clocks set themselves to the right time etc etc.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:14 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by l3lue2010
I got the "auxiliary battery malfunction " error on my c450 so I went and replaced the capacitor in the passenger floor panel, but the error is still there..should the error clear itself once it's replaced or do I need to get a scanner to erase the code? Or could that error be something else?
I would disconnect the negative ground cable and move the keys away from car for about 15 mins and then hook it back up and you should be fine. I didn’t have to clear any codes or anything
Old 12-19-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
Oh wow, I just got this message today on my '16 C450.. 'Auxiliary Battery Malfunction'

1) I am not a very technical guy, is this easy to replace myself?
2) Will this void the warranty if I do this myself? I've had issues with my dealership being picky such as not using MB oil even though it was another oil that met MB's specifications.
3) If I decide to take it to the dealer to fix, about how much is it? I saw online it is generally $200-$300.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2023, 04:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
I know this is old thread, but I thought i would post for future reference.

I just got this Auxiliary Battery Malfunction the other day. Bought a new OEM auxiliary batter, or as some people call it a capacitor pack. What I got was Hella brand, about $80 and no MB labels on anything, but I'm told MB uses Hella as the source. I'm putting it in tonight using the below video as a reference. One thing I noticed on this thread is that the fuse in the trunk is seldom mentioned. Don't skip over this part of the equation. Don't assume you need a main battery replacement just because the warning does not go away after replacing auxiliary battery. Watch video - check fuse.