Sponsored by:

C43 Not A Great First Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C 43
Originally Posted by superswiss
The rear shelf. He must have European connections. In German it's called the hat shelf (Hutablage), meant for putting your hats there, although few actually wear hats and put them there. One of those old expressions that don't make much sense in the modern world anymore.
There is nothing european about the hat rack, thats what its called.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ubergeelcd
There is nothing european about the hat rack, thats what its called.
I've honestly never heard it called that. A hat rack to me is something that hangs on the wall in one's house.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c43 2019
I've honestly never heard it called that. A hat rack to me is something that hangs on the wall in one's house.
Agreed, Deck lid, rear window sill and probably a few others that aren't the norm.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 PM

c43 2019
Yes, the sunroof is a common source of rattles. They did something to mine when I first brought it in. The dash is another source and the front A-pillar. They put a bunch of felt in the dash and the clips in the driver's side A-pillar apparently weren't tight enough.

As for tire hum, if the rims are slightly bent, then the previous owner clearly drove over something that made a big impact. Very possible that the tires are damaged. That would certainly be the first step. Get the tires road force balanced and check the alignment. This will show if the bent wheels are a problem, or if they can match up the high and low points to make them true. It will also reveal if the tires are bad. Basically if they can't get it within specs during the road force balance then you'll have to take care of the bent wheels first and if still a problem replace the tires. You'll have to take it to a shop that has a road force balancer. If you are not familiar with road force balancing, this is different from normal spin balancing. It applies a roller to the tire that simulates actual road force.
Thanks I'll get it road force balanced and take it from there.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by 4Gosselin
Thanks I'll get it road force balanced and take it from there.
Also as a quick diagnostics, if the hum is coming from a particular wheel, you can move that wheel to another corner and see if it changes. That'll help you isolate the issue to the wheel assembly or the wheel/tire itself.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
I wouldn't have bought the car if I disliked it. I had my Alfa for 3 years with Zero issues. I like the C43 and drove it a couple times, but it didn't take long to find the rattle and tire problem with this car across this board. I would have opted for the c63, but wanted all wheel drive. Maybe the e53 would have been a better fit. Better quality. Who knows. But don't bash Alfa from my experience it was a solid ride. The Quad would destroy this C43 and probably the C63, but again the Alfa Quad doesn't have all wheel drive and car rear seats don't fold. So just not a good fit.

I'll try and get the issues worked out.
It took me a very short time to realise that I couldn’t accept the shortcomings of the C43, and I simply couldn’t live with it. Every day that I drove it made me more and more irritated. I had to sell it. When it went to the new owner I was actually more relieved than anything else. Definitely a chapter in my car ownership history that I’d like to forget.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:40 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by TModelle
It took me a very short time to realise that I couldn’t accept the shortcomings of the C43, and I simply couldn’t live with it. Every day that I drove it made me more and more irritated. I had to sell it. When it went to the new owner I was actually more relieved than anything else. Definitely a chapter in my car ownership history that I’d like to forget.
Tell us exactly what you think...
Old 11-30-2020, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Howyalivin
A bigger motor in the same class car with issues that don't relate at all to powertrain doesn't fix a thing.. Elitism without common sense is what that would be.
Did you actually read the OP or just decide to project because I derided the incredibly below average C43?

Let's go through here and talk about his issues with the C43 as compared to the C63 shall we?

1. Tire and hum noise coming from left side. Sounds like a bearing noise, but most likely the run flats. I'm not sure, but the noise is constant and annoying. I thought it might just be the tires with some flat spotting. But it never goes away. I'd switch to the Pilot Sports if I thought it would solve the problem. Any suggestions?

C63 has a completely different wheel/tire setup

2. Rattles and creaks. I read some of the post in other threads with issues and I tried solutions for most, but still getting this creak from top right back. Honestly there are many others, but that is the one that is the most annoying. I've read swapping the run flats might quiet things down.

C63 has several better interior materials/ better build quality overall

3. Transmission is Jekyll and Hype. In comfort and sport it shifts sensibly, but in sport+ the car revs in most gears well past red line. It just doesn't shift. Unless I help with paddles. This happens when I step on it, if I ease into it, shifts fine. Certainly the 9 speed is a Sub-standard product compared to the ZF that I had in Alfa and prev BMW.

C63 has a completely different transmission

What the hell are you talking about Acura guy?
Old 11-30-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Did you actually read the OP or just decide to project because I derided the incredibly below average C43?

Let's go through here and talk about his issues with the C43 as compared to the C63 shall we?

1. Tire and hum noise coming from left side. Sounds like a bearing noise, but most likely the run flats. I'm not sure, but the noise is constant and annoying. I thought it might just be the tires with some flat spotting. But it never goes away. I'd switch to the Pilot Sports if I thought it would solve the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Rattles and creaks. I read some of the post in other threads with issues and I tried solutions for most, but still getting this creak from top right back. Honestly there are many others, but that is the one that is the most annoying. I've read swapping the run flats might quiet things down.

3. Transmission is Jekyll and Hype. In comfort and sport it shifts sensibly, but in sport+ the car revs in most gears well past red line. It just doesn't shift. Unless I help with paddles. This happens when I step on it, if I ease into it, shifts fine. Certainly the 9 speed is a Sub-standard product compared to the ZF that I had in Alfa and prev BMW.

Guy, you are an absolute clown, go back to the CLS63 forum.

1. Changing a tire isn't exclusive to the C63 model
2. A C63 uses the same materials as a C300, don't expect to have better build quality either... There are plenty of posts from C63 owners with the similar interior rattles. At the end of the day it's still a C-class.
3. Only valid point, but what even is the point?

The C43 is best-in class in many aspects only falling to the M340i in handling and maybe a tad in dry-condition acceleration (compared to the FL C43).
I love the C63 and would definitely prefer it to a C43 but for you to just bash our car only stating "AMG OR NOTHING" is ridiculous. There are a number of differences compared to the C450 as well.
The following users liked this post:
cjaredscott (12-01-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 08:14 PM

c43 2019
Unhappy Oh Boy! Still No Fix

Yes, the sunroof is a common source of rattles. They did something to mine when I first brought it in. The dash is another source and the front A-pillar. They put a bunch of felt in the dash and the clips in the driver's side A-pillar apparently weren't tight enough.

As for tire hum, if the rims are slightly bent, then the previous owner clearly drove over something that made a big impact. Very possible that the tires are damaged. That would certainly be the first step. Get the tires road force balanced and check the alignment. This will show if the bent wheels are a problem, or if they can match up the high and low points to make them true. It will also reveal if the tires are bad. Basically if they can't get it within specs during the road force balance then you'll have to take care of the bent wheels first and if still a problem replace the tires. You'll have to take it to a shop that has a road force balancer. If you are not familiar with road force balancing, this is different from normal spin balancing. It applies a roller to the tire that simulates actual road force.
Hi SS-

I had my tires replaced and that stupid hum bearing noise is still there. It's a bit less noticeable, but def there. So it isn't the tires. I guess I could ask the tire place to rotate them to see if it changes the dynamic. If it is a bent rim the None Run Flats might provide a better ride. Outside of that, what the possible issues? Car only has 5,500 miles. I wouldn't think the brakes. I'm kind of wondering if it is the 4matic. But I still hear with or without ESP on.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Hi SS-

I had my tires replaced and that stupid hum bearing noise is still there. It's a bit less noticeable, but def there. So it isn't the tires. I guess I could ask the tire place to rotate them to see if it changes the dynamic. If it is a bent rim the None Run Flats might provide a better ride. Outside of that, what the possible issues? Car only has 5,500 miles. I wouldn't think the brakes. I'm kind of wondering if it is the 4matic. But I still hear with or without ESP on.
Is it coming from the rear of the car? There have been cases of defective rear differentials and or propeller shafts in some C43. That would be like a "whine". Below is a thread I found with a quick search. Have you gone for a drive with the foreman at your dealership and maybe drive another C43 on the lot for comparison?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-thoughts.html
Old 11-30-2020, 08:45 PM

c43 2019
Is it coming from the rear of the car? There have been cases of defective rear differentials and or propeller shafts in some C43. That would be like a "whine". Below is a thread I found with a quick search. Have you gone for a drive with the foreman at your dealership and maybe drive another C43 on the lot for comparison?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-thoughts.html
I feel like it is more from the front.

I found this thread and the owner replicated what I am hearing. Not a whining from the back. Just a low hum that I can hear.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...e-issue-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer View Post
36 months of ownership later and I can confirm that the harmonic vibration is just part of the package. My car has done it since day one. I've driven the car on 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of rims, and had alignment / balancing done here and there between seasons. Nothing ever really fixes it, but changing out to non-RFTs made a slight difference. Some people can't notice it when they sit in the car with me even if I point it out, others notice it right away....I guess it depends on how sensitive your physical senses are. Either way, it doesnt seem to be dangerous, but it is kind of disconcerting to experience it on a car this price.

My Response
I just switched to NRF and your right this noise seems like part of the package. There is no vibration with the wheel. It is perfect, but that noise is annoying beyond believe. I kind of feel like it is part of the 4matic or the suspension. I hear with ESP on and off.

It almost sounds like a bearing or bent rim, but you are confirming it is part of the Mercedes DNA. Wow my first Mercedes and this is hard to swallow.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:50 PM

c43 2019
Also I did take in to Mercedes and they said noise was normal. The NRF appear to have helped slightly, but its just there in the background. I need to get that AWE touring exhaust installed to drown it out.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
To be perfectly honest, I could never get on board with 4matic. AMG has finally abandoned it for the superior 4matic+ in the newer cars, but you'll have to wait for the next generation to get it in the C Class. The fundamental issue with 4matic IMO is the fixed torque split. It's actually one of the worst AWD systems, IMO. Front tire crabbing under full lock low speed turns is another trait of it. I've owned a couple of Audis and driven a bunch more and the latest quattro with self-locking center differentials is way better. Audi has a couple of duds, too. Not a fan of the FWD based Haldex system they use in the A3/TT and the system in the R8 is also crap, although supposedly they finally improved it in the current facelift, but I haven't driven one yet. For all-weather traction I take quattro any day, but for a performance car the new 4matic+ or BMW M X-drive. The big difference with those is that they have a variable torque split and primarily drive the rear axle and the rear axle has the electronic locking differential. Pretty much sending a 100% to the rear under normal conditions and only engage the front wheels if the rears lack traction, and rear traction like in the RWD models such as the C63 is aided by the locking rear differential able to control the torque sent to each rear wheel. For ultimate fun you can engage Drift Mode, which completely decouples the front axle and turns the system into pure RWD. Quattro in my RS5 was ok as a performance system, but with a 40:60 default split it still sent too much to the front axle under normal conditions. Its major benefit, though is that the center differential is purely mechanical, so it can instantly lock at the desired ratio depending on available traction, whereas the electronic systems such as 4matic+ have a delay before they shift torque. That's why for low traction situation Quattro is far superior, but for a performance car I want AWD to stay out of my way except for very specific situations such as off the line acceleration. Once the car is moving, permanent AWD such as quattro and 4matic are just dead weight and increase drivetrain losses.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:38 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head

Just curious, what parts of the interior of a c63 are of better quality than a C43? I sat in both, I guess I failed to notice. Dash padding? You're probably right I'm just curious what portions are superior?

Also the c63 has a list of issues of its own. Squeaky dashboard is one of them.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:48 PM

c43 2019
I agree. This is noisy and clunky. Aside from the noise the trans is very jerky. I only drive in manual for consistency. I honestly can't believe how poor this car drives and sounds. I should have spend more time behind the wheel. But I was trying listen if the noise was coming from the back or front. It's tuff. It is like the other owner said. Harmonic hum.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Guy, you are an absolute clown, go back to the CLS63 forum.

1. Changing a tire isn't exclusive to the C63 model
2. A C63 uses the same materials as a C300, don't expect to have better build quality either... There are plenty of posts from C63 owners with the similar interior rattles. At the end of the day it's still a C-class.
3. Only valid point, but what even is the point?

The C43 is best-in class in many aspects only falling to the M340i in handling and maybe a tad in dry-condition acceleration (compared to the FL C43).
I love the C63 and would definitely prefer it to a C43 but for you to just bash our car only stating "AMG OR NOTHING" is ridiculous. There are a number of differences compared to the C450 as well.
Exactly. The only other thing I'd clarify is that build quality/construction is the exact same (when comparing apples to apples — not comparing a German manufactured car to an American manufactured car — most of the sedans are American made though, and from what I gather most or all coupes and cabs are German made, but don't quote me on the latter statement), and surface materials quality can be addressed by options in any instance (e.g. quality of leather, such as upgrading to nappa).

If that poster doubts this, he should take a look at the parts catalogues, or sit in the cars, or actually drive the cars. I second your assessment, but I am not going to respond to that poster directly, for obvious reasons. They're all C-Classes at the end of the day — expect rattles and creaks.

As far as changes from the C450, a small adjustment in torque split, the 9-speed, and the option of the PE come to mind. The PE is great, would have loved that but oh well, the 9-speed I'd be up in the air about having driven PFL and FL cars, but it certainly does make the car quicker! Otherwise, the PFL C43s are extremely similar, albeit I think with an overall softer suspension and (I find) a little more body role for each given mode (I know the FLs are softer, but I think the PFLs are in the middle). I think you get more pops out of the C450 too, but I honestly don't remember what the PFL PE C43 did — haven't driven one in a bit. I know the FL PE is very different, and while a lot louder, more tame in terms of pops and crackles.
jonathan358 (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:11 PM

c43 2019
I don't think I can live with this

I feel like it is more from the front.

I found this thread and the owner replicated what I am hearing. Not a whining from the back. Just a low hum that I can hear.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...e-issue-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer View Post
36 months of ownership later and I can confirm that the harmonic vibration is just part of the package. My car has done it since day one. I've driven the car on 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of rims, and had alignment / balancing done here and there between seasons. Nothing ever really fixes it, but changing out to non-RFTs made a slight difference. Some people can't notice it when they sit in the car with me even if I point it out, others notice it right away....I guess it depends on how sensitive your physical senses are. Either way, it doesnt seem to be dangerous, but it is kind of disconcerting to experience it on a car this price.

My Response
I just switched to NRF and your right this noise seems like part of the package. There is no vibration with the wheel. It is perfect, but that noise is annoying beyond believe. I kind of feel like it is part of the 4matic or the suspension. I hear with ESP on and off.

It almost sounds like a bearing or bent rim, but you are confirming it is part of the Mercedes DNA. Wow my first Mercedes and this is hard to swallow.

I'm going to play with moving the wheels to the other side to see if the sound changes. I'll need to bring back to Dealer and take a foreman out and see if they can hear. I have NEVER had a car that is as annoying noisy. Loving the car, but this will be a deal breaker. Not ok for a 70K car

Old 01-14-2021, 07:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
I just test drove a 2017 C43 and it has this issue. There is an ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel, it's almost not there, but the noise coming from the wheels sounds like it needs a balancing. I am so close to buying it, but I don't think i can justify getting into the car without that being resolved.

It was very odd to me that the dealer also put on a brand new set of run flats. That had me questioning the car off the bat. I wonder if they thought that would resolve the vibration...
Old 01-14-2021, 08:47 PM

c43 2019
Originally Posted by Muskokamarc
I just test drove a 2017 C43 and it has this issue. There is an ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel, it's almost not there, but the noise coming from the wheels sounds like it needs a balancing. I am so close to buying it, but I don't think i can justify getting into the car without that being resolved.

It was very odd to me that the dealer also put on a brand new set of run flats. That had me questioning the car off the bat. I wonder if they thought that would resolve the vibration...
Run and don't look back. That was just a couple of the issues you will discover. I owned my AMG 43 less than 1 month didn't make one payment. Car was really that disappointing. Back to BMW and not one rattle, hassle free tech, ride is impressive. AMG does have a better exhaust note, but I easily corrected with my Valvtronic exhaust. I'm one of many on this forum who moved on.
cg_tim (01-19-2021)