Res Delete with Catless Downpipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Res Delete with Catless Downpipes?

Hey guys!

So I recently ordered Weistec catless downpipes for my C43 to go along with a stage 2 tune, and I was thinking about also doing a resonator delete. My car has the performance exhaust and sounds pretty good already, but I think it could sound even better if I go catless with the res delete (since it will basically be straight piped with the valves open). I was wondering if anyone on here has done this with their C43 and if they can comment on how it affects their overall driving experience. How does it sound? Is it droney? If anyone has some videos as well that would be great.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by c43.mike
Hey guys!

So I recently ordered Weistec catless downpipes for my C43 to go along with a stage 2 tune, and I was thinking about also doing a resonator delete. My car has the performance exhaust and sounds pretty good already, but I think it could sound even better if I go catless with the res delete (since it will basically be straight piped with the valves open). I was wondering if anyone on here has done this with their C43 and if they can comment on how it affects their overall driving experience. How does it sound? Is it droney? If anyone has some videos as well that would be great.

Thanks guys!
Hi - not sure if I can help but maybe? So I have a weistec DP installed with a JB4. I also have a PE. So I'm not sure what the res delete is or how I would do if I wanted to. What are you referring to as the setup your asking aboit is very similar to mine.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:21 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Hello!

Honestly I don't too much about it, I just saw some people posting on here about doing a resonator delete on their C43's and wanted to see if anyone has done it with the catless DP. I'm also not exactly certain what JB4 is. Is it a tune?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Hello!

Honestly I don't too much about it, I just saw some people posting on here about doing a resonator delete on their C43's and wanted to see if anyone has done it with the catless DP. I'm also not exactly certain what JB4 is. Is it a tune?
Yes, jb4 is a tune
Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by skaura23
Yes, jb4 is a tune
Ah okay that's what I figured. To my understanding, which could very well be wrong, the PE has resonators that aren't necessarily required. I plan on keeping the mufflers to have the valve option, but I figured it'd be interesting to see if anyone has done the catless setup with res delete and whether or not it was a smart decision.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:59 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
I have the FI Exhaust which has an x-pipe and no resonator. With my Weistec downpipes I get harmonic resonance / drone at 2.2k to 2.4k, which is pretty bad given that this is the resting RPM of the car when not driving sporty. With the valves closed, no drone at all. While I understand our exhaust setups are different, I think it is still relevant. I would vote against the resonator delete - at least until you have driven the car for awhile with DPs first.

Last edited by C43HeartBoost; 12-16-2020 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
b6tbfmp (12-17-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:19 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
I have the FI Exhaust which has an x-pipe and no resonator. With my Weistec downpipes I get harmonic resonance / drone at 2.2k to 2.4k, which is pretty bad given that this is the resting RPM of the car when not driving sporty. With the valves closed, no drone at all. While I understand our exhaust setups are different, I think it is still relevant. I would vote against the resonator delete - at least until you have driven the car for awhile with DPs first.
Hello! Thanks so much for your response, it was super helpful. I was wondering if you had any video or audio of what the drone sounds like? It definitely doesn't sound like something I'd want to experience, since I always drive with my valves open. If it really is that bad, you're right by saying it isn't the best idea.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:23 PM

C43
Hello! Thanks so much for your response, it was super helpful. I was wondering if you had any video or audio of what the drone sounds like? It definitely doesn't sound like something I'd want to experience, since I always drive with my valves open. If it really is that bad, you're right by saying it isn't the best idea.
I do not have a video, sorry. I can tell you that it is pretty bad (and this is coming from my comparison to the numerous modded and de-catted cars I have owned over the last 20 years). My advice is to get the DP’s installed and then to the res delete if you still want more exhaust volume. My guess is that you will be 100% content after the DPs.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:25 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
I do not have a video, sorry. I can tell you that it is pretty bad (and this is coming from my comparison to the numerous modded and de-catted cars I have owned over the last 20 years). My advice is to get the DP’s installed and then to the res delete if you still want more exhaust volume. My guess is that you will be 100% content after the DPs.
No worries at all! I really appreciate your input, that definitely sounds like the right way to go. I'm sure i'll be happy with the downpipes, would you say it's a super noticeable difference?
Old 12-16-2020, 10:29 PM

C43
No worries at all! I really appreciate your input, that definitely sounds like the right way to go. I'm sure i'll be happy with the downpipes, would you say it's a super noticeable difference?
Yes, a noticeable difference when coupled with a good stage 2 tune. You will likely lose power if catless DPs are installed without a stage 2 tune. To put a finer point on the resonance/drone issue: I usually drive in manual when cruising, so I avoid the narrow RPM range where it occurs.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:32 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Yes, a noticeable difference when coupled with a good stage 2 tune. You will likely lose power if catless DPs are installed without a stage 2 tune. To put a finer point on the resonance/drone issue: I usually drive in manual when cruising, so I avoid the narrow RPM range where it occurs.
My car will be getting a stage 2 tune and dyno session as soon as the DP's are in. In terms of how I drive, I'm usually the same in manual mode especially since I have a burble tune. But for long, casual drives, I usually just cruise in comfort so I wouldn't want any annoying drone. How is the sound when doing spirited driving? You have any sound clips with the FI exhaust?
Old 12-16-2020, 10:37 PM

C43
My car will be getting a stage 2 tune and dyno session as soon as the DP's are in. In terms of how I drive, I'm usually the same in manual mode especially since I have a burble tune. But for long, casual drives, I usually just cruise in comfort so I wouldn't want any annoying drone. How is the sound when doing spirited driving? You have any sound clips with the FI exhaust?
At WOT it is pretty loud, with lots of pops and bangs at shifts and lift off. With the valves closed, very tame even in sport+. I do not have sound clips, as I think that cameras never accurate capture exhaust volume and tone.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:40 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
At WOT it is pretty loud, with lots of pops and bangs at shifts and lift off. With the valves closed, very tame even in sport+. I do not have sound clips, as I think that cameras never accurate capture exhaust volume and tone.
Wow that sounds incredible. FI makes insane exhausts so I'm sure the sound is unreal. But thanks again for your advice, I think I'm going to get the DP's installed with the tune and see what I think. I despise drone, so I'm going to make sure I do what I can to avoid it.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:43 PM

C43
Wow that sounds incredible. FI makes insane exhausts so I'm sure the sound is unreal. But thanks again for your advice, I think I'm going to get the DP's installed with the tune and see what I think. I despise drone, so I'm going to make sure I do what I can to avoid it.
Absolutely, keep us posted and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
c43.mike (12-16-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
super raspy!

Last edited by DLAMG_1979; 04-08-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:33 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by DLinddd
Speaking about Non-PE in my case: Catless DPs + resonator delete on our cars = not a good sound. Very raspy and obnoxious (see video)...I was not a fan at all.

Literally went to the exhaust shop the next day and put my resonator back on, no more rasp. Sounded much better. I wanted it a littttle louder though, so I did a muffler delete and it’s good for me now. Definitely get some drone but doesn’t bother me.
Hey! Thanks so much for your response and video. That’s definitely not the sound I’m looking for. Do the mufflers on the non-pe exhaust have valves?
Old 12-20-2020, 05:35 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Hey! Thanks so much for your response and video. That’s definitely not the sound I’m looking for. Do the mufflers on the non-pe exhaust have valves?
here is great video of my C43 Wagon with AMG PE, decat and straight thru to the rear boxes.
it has a eurocharged tune as well.
As you can hear, it is very loud , but the quality of the sound is great as its paired with the AMG PE.
IF Valves are closed then its not too loud at all.

**edit here's the link :

https://youtu.be/uGRYf-QVt2Q

Last edited by AhEmGee; 12-21-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:50 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
here is great video of my C43 Wagon with AMG PE, decat and straight thru to the rear boxes.
it has a eurocharged tune as well.
As you can hear, it is very loud , but the quality of the sound is great as its paired with the AMG PE.
IF Valves are closee then its not too loud at all .
Hey! Thanks so much for your response. For some reason I can't see the video you're talking about, do you think you could try re-attaching it? Thanks!
Old 12-21-2020, 04:12 PM

Hey! Thanks so much for your response. For some reason I can't see the video you're talking about, do you think you could try re-attaching it? Thanks!
sorry forgot the link:

Old 12-21-2020, 08:54 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
sorry forgot the link:

Wow that sounds incredible! So both the mufflers and resonators are gone? How’s the drone?
Old 12-21-2020, 10:02 PM

C43
sorry forgot the link:

Sounds good man. Definitely loud.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:43 AM

Wow that sounds incredible! So both the mufflers and resonators are gone? How’s the drone?
No it still has the valved AMG PE ( Hence I can close the valves) the rest is straight through.
There is slight drone at 80mph plus, zero drone with valves closed.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:12 AM

C43
Do you know if people that have gotten a resonator delete with know catless DP or tune gets their warranty voided??