Sponsored by:

Locked out of car while running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Locked out of car while running

This is a really odd scenario but I also don't understand why it works this way. I have setup an app that locks my car doors if the door closes and it sense the phone in a walking state. The problem is I got in the car, started it and then immediately went back into the house with my phone. The doors locked....no big deal right. Well when I got back to the car the door would not open. Keep in mind I had my key fob with me. I even took it out and pressed the unlock button, nothing. I had to go through the app to unlock the door. That's really odd, and am I missing something. Why would MB ever program it that way? If I didn't have my phone I'd be screwed. Let's say a kid is in the car and locks the doors while it's running, how would you get back in if your phone was left in the car? I know these are really odd but no car of mine ever locked me out if I had the keys.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
First off what app is this? This must be an aftermarket modification, so anything your car does now could be a consequence of using aftermarket electronics. However, I believe this is actually by design so that somebody who seeks protection inside of the car can lock the car from the inside and nobody can open it from the outside even if they have a fob. I'm not a 100% sure about this, but I thought I read this somewhere. Basically once the car is locked from the inside the external lock is disabled. To still get in in an emergency, you have to use the mechanical emergency key inside of the fob and remove the lock cover from the driver's door handle to reveal the mechanical lock.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:57 PM

That's really interesting. It's not an extra app I'm using, it just uses the Mercedes Benz api that the Mercedes me connect uses. I can control my car from my phone or watch. It's really cool. I am always forgetting to lock the car when I leave it so I created an automation to lock it, hence how the car got locked. Anyway, that's good to know, I guess I need to make sure I don't lock the car when I'm not in it 😀
Old 01-22-2021, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I see. If I lock my car from the phone, I can still unlock it with the fob, however the latest Mercedes Me connect app no longer allows locking the car if it's running as far as I know. If you can still do it via automation which I haven't tried, then maybe this is unintended and doesn't work right. Are you on Android or iOS? As far as forgetting to lock the car goes, I get an alert on my phone if I forget to lock and I can lock it from the notification screen. I don't really forget to lock the car, but it's a nice piece of mind. Also which version of the app are you using exactly? The Mercedes Me connect app got updated recently and as far as I know there is no longer a watch app for now. The latest version on iOS is v3.0.2. There was an update 2 days ago.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
I see. If I lock my car from the phone, I can still unlock it with the fob, however the latest Mercedes Me connect app no longer allows locking the car if it's running as far as I know. If you can still do it via automation which I haven't tried, then maybe this is unintended and doesn't work right. Are you on Android or iOS? As far as forgetting to lock the car goes, I get an alert on my phone if I forget to lock and I can lock it from the notification screen. I don't really forget to lock the car, but it's a nice piece of mind. Also which version of the app are you using exactly? The Mercedes Me connect app got updated recently and as far as I know there is no longer a watch app for now. The latest version on iOS is v3.0.2. There was an update 2 days ago.
I'm on Android and it's the latest version of Me Connect. I am using an API though that calls mercedes directly. It's through home assistant if you know what that is. It's pretty cool as I can remote start, lock, and unlock my car from my watch.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ctsvette
I'm on Android and it's the latest version of Me Connect. I am using an API though that calls mercedes directly. It's through home assistant if you know what that is. It's pretty cool as I can remote start, lock, and unlock my car from my watch.
Ah I see. Yeah that uses the third-party provider interface, but as far as I remember this is currently not supposed to be working anymore. I have the Google Home app on iOS and Mercedes Me no longer shows up as a supported service, so I can't add it, even though the instructions are still up on the web portal.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
Ah I see. Yeah that uses the third-party provider interface, but as far as I remember this is currently not supposed to be working anymore. I have the Google Home app on iOS and Mercedes Me no longer shows up as a supported service, so I can't add it, even though the instructions are still up on the web portal.

That's correct. They are now using the Mercedes me connect APIs.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
That's correct. They are now using the Mercedes me connect APIs.
I must be missing something. Do you have any instructions/documentation for what you have set up? I've been looking in Google Assistant and Google Home and there's nothing for Mercedes coming up in the service list.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:16 PM

Go here to view how they did it. I just utilize this add on. I don't know if you can do a google integration with the new APIs though.

https://github.com/ReneNulschDE/mbapi2020
Old 02-01-2021, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Go here to view how they did it. I just utilize this add on. I don't know if you can do a google integration with the new APIs though.

https://github.com/ReneNulschDE/mbapi2020
Ah ok, I had a feeling this was some custom component and not official yet, so yeah not surprised if perhaps the API is not working correctly at this point until they officially roll out Google Home integration with Mercedes me connect. In the meantime I guess it is use at your own risk.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
This is a really odd scenario but I also don't understand why it works this way. I have setup an app that locks my car doors if the door closes and it sense the phone in a walking state. The problem is I got in the car, started it and then immediately went back into the house with my phone. The doors locked....no big deal right. Well when I got back to the car the door would not open. Keep in mind I had my key fob with me. I even took it out and pressed the unlock button, nothing. I had to go through the app to unlock the door. That's really odd, and am I missing something. Why would MB ever program it that way? If I didn't have my phone I'd be screwed. Let's say a kid is in the car and locks the doors while it's running, how would you get back in if your phone was left in the car? I know these are really odd but no car of mine ever locked me out if I had the keys.
No, I don't think it has anything to do with your app. I got locked out of my car with the FOB in the car NYE. whilst arranging bags from front to back prior to leaving the car. Something is up with the app. Remote start doesn't work at all. Car is locking when it shouldn't. It's already been to the dealer. They just ran a check to ensure remote start worked from my condo to the dealership (prob 5 or so miles) and it worked so i guess they didn't look into it. Hasn't worked since from my condo to my parking space 20 feet away.