Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 Coupe - Transport bicycle in trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C400 Sedan
Question C43 Coupe - Transport bicycle in trunk?

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a C43 coupe sometime this year to replace my aging W204 sedan, and I'd like to know if a bicycle will fit in the trunk with the rear seats folded down? It's a road/trail bike.
It fits great in my W204 sedan with the rear seats folded down, I just remove the front wheel of the bike before loading. I'm really not keen on the ugly roof racks or trailer hitch mounts.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
I've honestly never even tried. The idea of cramming a bike in there, get dirt all over and potentially scratching part of the car doesn't sound very appealing. My neighbor had a C300 sedan and I helped her once get a bike that she just bought out of her car. The guy at the store got it in there, but we had a hell of a time to get it out. I can't even imaging doing that w/o rear doors. I also wasn't kin on a traditional roof etc. rack, so I'm using a Sea Sucker rack. Best way to carry a bike with a coupe, IMO.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
That's really awesome but I'm too scared to use that. I know that suction strength can be incredibly strong and everything looks pretty solid, but I still can't shake the fact that it's being held on purely by suction cups and depending on how cold or hot the weather is, and also how quickly it changes from one extreme to another, may cause the suction cups to expand or contract, thus messing with the suction power. At least with a trunk mounted rack or a hitch, if the bike falls off, at least only the bike is damaged and not the car.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ramsino
That's really awesome but I'm too scared to use that. I know that suction strength can be incredibly strong and everything looks pretty solid, but I still can't shake the fact that it's being held on purely by suction cups and depending on how cold or hot the weather is, and also how quickly it changes from one extreme to another, may cause the suction cups to expand or contract, thus messing with the suction power. At least with a trunk mounted rack or a hitch, if the bike falls off, at least only the bike is damaged and not the car.
Zero issues. Yes, at first I had to get over my own fear, but this thing is completely solid. Each suction cup is 200 lbs of suction force. The bike won't go anywhere. The pumps have this red marker as shown in the video. It holds suction for at least 3 hours. They recommend checking after 3 hours and give it some pumps if the red marker shows.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:21 AM

C43
Yeah it looks really solid. I'm just a wuss
Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ramsino
Yeah it looks really solid. I'm just a wuss
Haha. FWIW, I've had mine for 5 years. This is my second car I'm using it with. I'm going up and down twisty mountain roads, and doing 85+ on the highway. BTW, they are using them at the Tour de France and other cycling events. The support cars use them with custom racks holding like 10 bikes or something like that.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
It does look like a neat method. But is there a concern with the strong suction cups loosening the glass roof / railing parts while the cups try to keep the bike in place during the trip and vibrations from the road?
Old 02-21-2021, 01:33 PM

C43
Originally Posted by mcschan86
It does look like a neat method. But is there a concern with the strong suction cups loosening the glass roof / railing parts while the cups try to keep the bike in place during the trip and vibrations from the road?
That's what I'm afraid of too, as well as extreme heat/cold also loosening the suction cups. I know there are different types of suction cup materials and technology, but I have a toothbrush holder that has suction cups mounted to my bathroom mirror and that thing drops a few times per week...it's stupid but that's just what I think of when I think of suction cups now haha.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mcschan86
Nah, the pano roof is stronger than you think. The roof of a car is a structural member and with the pano taking up most of the roof it has to withstand the twisting forces of the chassis from normal driving. I do mount it furthest forward where the pano roof meets the metal. There's no movement or creaks or anything from the roof while the bike is up there. The only concern would be if the glass had structural defects. There have been sunroofs spontaneously shattering because of defects, but MB isn't known for that. Again, don't compare this to a $2 suction cup in the bathroom. Not even remotely comparable. Suction cups lose suction, because of the cheap plastic changing shape at the edges, so over time they don't seal anymore, and you don't leave this thing on your car's roof at all times. It comes with plastic covers for the suction cups that you put on when storing it. Those keep the shapes to make sure they always seal. When you order one, you also get a spare suction cup, so if one starts to go bad you can replace it. In fact every single part can be replaced. These guys started in the marine business, attaching all kinds of stuff to boats and boats rock around pretty bad in choppy waters, especially speed boats. As I said I had mine for 5 years by now, and last year during the pandemic I went riding multiple times a week. I take this especially over a trunk rack that is more likely to mar your paint than this is to lose suction or damage the sunroof.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-21-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C400 Sedan
Thanks for the replies. I do like the look of that roof mount, but another reason I'd like to store the bicycle in the trunk is discretion. If I park somewhere with the bike mounted, it's a target for thieves. In the trunk with tinted windows and a blanket over it, no one sees it.

Could anyone chime in if they have a C coupe and can fit a bicycle in the trunk? Thanks
Old 03-10-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz C43AMG
C43 Coupe-Transport bicycle in trunk?

I have a 2017 C43 AMG Coupe. I regularly put either my 26" Santa Cruz V10 medium Downhill bike (34lbs) or my 27.5" Specialized LEVO ebike (52lbs) in my trunk.
I remove the front wheel and i find its a lot easier if I also remove the pedals ,though its not necessary. The pedals are platform and have very sharp pins.
Lay a thin rubber down and the bike sides in easily.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota
Congrats on the upcoming C43 coupe! Regarding fitting your road/trail bike in the trunk, it's worth checking the dimensions and configurations of the trunk space. Folding down the rear seats is a good start, and removing the front wheel is a clever solution. As for roof racks or hitch mounts, I understand your preference for a sleek look. By the way, have you considered protecting your bike with cyclist insurance from https://sundaysinsurance.co.uk/cyclist-insurance? It's always great to have coverage for your prized wheels. Happy riding and enjoy your new coupe! 🚲🚗😄
Old 06-26-2023, 10:41 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Not worth shoving a bike in the rear of a coupe. Surprised the above fit a MTB in there.

My gravel barely fits and taking off the pedals is a must. Too much work for it to be feasible, I just take the SUV if possible.