Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH? Weird noise coming from COMAND screen area - ‘20 C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Come to think of it. I am not sure how many people test drove my 2017 C43 prior to me buying it. I am worried that they didn't wait till the car reach operating temperatures before flooring it, the engine wasn't kept below 4K RPM (when the car hasn't gone through break-in), car being threw around corners and was driven like they stole it. Maybe that is why my car is complaining to me all the time lol Let me just hope the majority of the KMs were from the drive from the factory to the trailer and from the trailer to the ship and then from the ship to the transport truck and then finally the truck down into the dealership lot. Let me just further cheer myself up by saying that everyone who test drove it prior to me buying it was handling it like their baby.
Perhaps, I should order a vehicle from scratch moving on forward despite the long wait to prevent buying cars people test drove.
Edit: I wonder if we paid all the freight and PDI so they can joy ride our vehicles "to perform the inspection" prior to delivery (hopefully that isn't how it works)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-30-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8347333
8347333]Come to think of it. I am not sure how many people test drove my 2017 C43 prior to me buying it. I am worried that they didn't wait till the car reach operating temperatures before flooring it, the engine wasn't kept below 4K RPM (when the car hasn't gone through break-in), car being threw around corners and was driven like they stole it. Maybe that is why my car is complaining to me all the time lol Let me just hope the majority of the KMs were from the drive from the factory to the trailer and from the trailer to the ship and then from the ship to the transport truck and then finally the truck down into the dealership lot. Let me just further cheer myself up by saying that everyone who test drove it prior to me buying it was handling it like their baby.
Perhaps, I should order a vehicle from scratch moving on forward despite the long wait to prevent buying cars people test drove.
Edit: I wonder if we paid all the freight and PDI so they can joy ride our vehicles "to perform the inspection" prior to delivery (hopefully that isn't how it works)
I had a 2007 335i with the original N54 motor that I got new off the lot with around 100 miles. I beat the ever-loving **** out of that car starting with the day I drove it off the lot.

It was 100% reliable. And I even had a Dinan Stage 2 ECU tune + Dinan high-capacity oil cooler after about a year. Was still reliable making 384 hp at the rear wheels.

Years later, I ordered one of the first new F30 M Sport 335i sedans in my State, but it was a lemon. Taillight fell off first day home. Seatbelt hardware and seat frame started rusting within a month, and the electric cooling fan failed 3 times, each time in traffic, where the limp mode it caused almost got me killed by a semi while merging.

In sum, it’s all just the luck of the draw. I think your car should be fine. But I 100% agree that there is peace of mind in ordering cars or getting new arrivals off the showroom floor. And I follow the break-in now just to cover my *** with the dealer lol.

On a side note, drove my car today and no noise. Only present after I’ve not driven for a few days, apparently. Then it goes away once the car warms up. I’m just going to keep logging what happens until I notice it all the time. But I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse. I can live with it if it remains so intermittent and only under certain conditions.

Last edited by zibby43; 05-30-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by zibby43
I had a 2007 335i with the original N54 motor that I got new off the lot with around 100 miles. I beat the ever-loving **** out of that car starting with the day I drove it off the lot.

It was 100% reliable. And I even had a Dinan Stage 2 ECU tune + Dinan high-capacity oil cooler after about a year. Was still reliable making 384 hp at the rear wheels.

Years later, I ordered one of the first new F30 M Sport 335i sedans in my State, but it was a lemon. Taillight fell off first day home. Seatbelt hardware and seat frame started rusting within a month, and the electric cooling fan failed 3 times, each time in traffic, where the limp mode it caused almost got me killed by a semi while merging.

In sum, it’s all just the luck of the draw. I think your car should be fine. But I 100% agree that there is peace of mind in ordering cars or getting new arrivals off the showroom floor. And I follow the break-in now just to cover my *** with the dealer lol.

On a side note, drove my car today and no noise. Only present after I’ve not driven for a few days, apparently. Then it goes away once the car wakes up. I’m just going to keep logging until I notice it all the time. But I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse. Otherwise I can live with it.
Yikes Sorry to hear that : ( looks like your car ownership journey is a rather bumpy one.
As for the noise, it should disappear once you drive more as the filter bumps right in place like magic.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

You’ve been able to give your car the mileage it deserves. Well done. Mine has been depressed in the garage lol. To be fair, I’d be at about 8-10k if I still had my PFL.
Forgot to ask, how come you said your pfl will only be around 10K, were the issues on that car that bad that made you hate driving the car that much. If so, I am deeply sorry for that.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Forgot to ask, how come you said your pfl will only be around 10K, were the issues on that car that bad that made you hate driving the car that much. If so, I am deeply sorry for that.
I came up with that estimate as I usually drive around 7,500 miles per year. So, whatever mileage I had in that first year (plus a few months) of the PFL, combined with the mileage I did over the pandemic (and estimating a few more shop visits lol), I came up with that overall mileage estimate.

As I put more mileage on the FL model, it's striking to me how many driving-related differences there are between the cars. Usually, facelift changes are mostly centered on interior/exterior cosmetic tweaks, new options/color combinations, etc. I think the PFL was more fun in M mode, felt like it had a bit more torque available down low, and had an even crazier exhaust soundtrack.

On the FL, the midrange power from a roll feels a bit stronger, the ride/suspension is significantly less "floaty," and the general exhaust tone seems a bit deeper.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Yikes Sorry to hear that : ( looks like your car ownership journey is a rather bumpy one.
As for the noise, it should disappear once you drive more as the filter bumps right in place like magic.
Haha thank you! Fingers crossed. Thanks to this thread and the input from you and other members, I have an infinitely better foundation to work from should the issue persist or get more noticeable.

I never expected to have 2 cars repurchased in a span of 10 years. But, overall, I've had mostly good luck. The 2 bad ones have just been *really* bad lol. My C63 was absolutely bulletproof for 5 years.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Haha thank you! Fingers crossed. Thanks to this thread and the input from you and other members, I have an infinitely better foundation to work from should the issue persist or get more noticeable.
Good to hear! That is why I love this community and this sub-forum in particular, everyone is super helpful, friendly and patient.
I never expected to have 2 cars repurchased in a span of 10 years. But, overall, I've had mostly good luck. The 2 bad ones have just been *really* bad lol. My C63 was absolutely bulletproof for 5 years.
Awesome, what a joy to hear! The odds of needing more buy backs are slim to none don't worry.
zibby43 (05-31-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Spoke with the shop foreman and he agrees that it’s either the blower (bearing or debris) or wastegate rattle

Noise didn’t happen in warm weather today despite the car sitting all day yesterday. Next time I hear it, I’ll shut down the system and continue driving to see if I hear it.

With how it becomes prominent when letting off the throttle, I’m leaning wastegate.

Also, my TPMS went completely offline today for a period of 30 minutes then came back. Then my car said it had completed an update.

I wonder if the update interferes with the TPMS module somehow?

Drove the car later in the day and all was well.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Spoke with the shop foreman and he agrees that it’s either the blower (bearing or debris) or wastegate rattle

Noise didn’t happen in warm weather today despite the car sitting all day yesterday. Next time I hear it, I’ll shut down the system and continue driving to see if I hear it.

With how it becomes prominent when letting off the throttle, I’m leaning wastegate.

Also, my TPMS went completely offline today for a period of 30 minutes then came back. Then my car said it had completed an update.

I wonder if the update interferes with the TPMS module somehow?

Drove the car later in the day and all was well.

Hmmm, I wonder what type of update was performed. As far as I know, other than the eCall (was it called that?) had a recall and the backup camera (incl. the 360 one) had a recall for occasionally turning off on certain productions models that require a software update to fix, I am not aware of what other software updates that are being pushed to fix software bugs or for a recall. That being said, my car doesn't have Mercedes Me so can't do OTA (not until 2019 till MB Canada brought it over, so we didn't have mbrace either, so for us, all updates has to be performed at the dealership)
Perhaps ask the foreman to perform a scan and see what was updated? I don't know why it would affect TPMS though, that is strange, unless the update has to do with that.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8350591
8350591]Hmmm, I wonder what type of update was performed. As far as I know, other than the eCall (was it called that?) had a recall and the backup camera (incl. the 360 one) had a recall for occasionally turning off on certain productions models that require a software update to fix, I am not aware of what other software updates that are being pushed to fix software bugs or for a recall. That being said, my car doesn't have Mercedes Me so can't do OTA (not until 2019 till MB Canada brought it over, so we didn't have mbrace either, so for us, all updates has to be performed at the dealership)
Perhaps ask the foreman to perform a scan and see what was updated? I don't know why it would affect TPMS though, that is strange, unless the update has to do with that.
It was some sort of OTA update for the COMAND.

When I left to see the foreman yesterday, my tire pressures/temps never came up on my display (just got the message that they’d be displayed after driving a bit), then when I was right near the dealership, I got that error message. And I could not reset the TPMS.

Cycling the ignition did nothing. Scheduled the car for service for next week and then left (with my car). Inoperative message went away and PSI was displayed as normal after driving a few hundred feet. Then, a few seconds later, my COMAND screen indicated that some kind of navigation system update had been performed.

Was hoping that the issue wasn’t mice/chewing related, and the fact that it resolved itself indicates to me that there are no physical hardware issues.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

It was some sort of OTA update for the COMAND.

When I left to see the foreman yesterday, my tire pressures/temps never came up on my display (just got the message that they’d be displayed after driving a bit), then when I was right near the dealership, I got that error message. And I could not reset the TPMS.

Cycling the ignition did nothing. Scheduled the car for service for next week and then left (with my car). Inoperative message went away and PSI was displayed as normal after driving a few hundred feet. Then, a few seconds later, my COMAND screen indicated that some kind of navigation system update had been performed.

Was hoping that the issue wasn’t mice/chewing related, and the fact that it resolved itself indicates to me that there are no physical hardware issues.
Good! Glad it resolved itself, no more dealership trips then. (Cancel the service next week if it doesn't come back)... and hmmmm navigation system update? Did it clearly say that then isn't that just a map update? Perhaps the system didn't indicate every update that was performed and only displayed info on the navigation system update. It might had performed another update in the background then if the TPMS was affected.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-04-2021 at 09:38 PM.
zibby43 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Good! Glad it resolved itself, no more dealership trips then. (Cancel the service next week if it doesn't come back)... and hmmmm navigation system update? Did it clearly say that then isn't that just a map update? Perhaps the system didn't indicate every update that was performed and only displayed info on the navigation system update. It might had performed another update in the background then if the TPMS was affected.
Haha my thoughts exactly! Thank you. Everything was fine today, as there was no card-flipping noise either. It was 90 F here today, so the blower was obviously working hard, and was whisper quiet. If there was a bad bearing or debris in the blower, I would expect the noise to appear and be prominent when the system is working. Instead, it's more prominent on cool days and tied to my throttle input.

Accordingly, I'm guessing the noise I heard/posted was actually the wastegates. That video you posted earlier in the thread was a huge help, because it captured the noise perfectly and was a bit easier to hear for us. The shop foreman mentioned that it's an issue for these cars, and there is a software update that takes care of the rattle, but several customers have reported that the rattle is instead replaced by a hissing noise. I'll pass on that lol.

I should've taken a screenshot of the update message, but it was something like: "Your system has been updated successfully." I don't know if it was maps, or whatever. I just find it too much of a coincidence that the problem with the TPMS resolved itself and then immediately was given the notice that the upgrade was successful.
W205C43PFL (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Haha my thoughts exactly! Thank you. Everything was fine today, as there was no card-flipping noise either. It was 90 F here today, so the blower was obviously working hard, and was whisper quiet. If there was a bad bearing or debris in the blower, I would expect the noise to appear and be prominent when the system is working. Instead, it's more prominent on cool days and tied to my throttle input.

Accordingly, I'm guessing the noise I heard/posted was actually the wastegates. That video you posted earlier in the thread was a huge help, because it captured the noise perfectly and was a bit easier to hear for us. The shop foreman mentioned that it's an issue for these cars, and there is a software update that takes care of the rattle, but several customers have reported that the rattle is instead replaced by a hissing noise. I'll pass on that lol.

I should've taken a screenshot of the update message, but it was something like: "Your system has been updated successfully." I don't know if it was maps, or whatever. I just find it too much of a coincidence that the problem with the TPMS resolved itself and then immediately was given the notice that the upgrade was successful.
You are most welcome Zibby43! I am so glad it was at least helpful.

and hmmm, I am getting curious, especially if they say the software can alter the sound, I wonder if the software just (slows down...?) or change the direction/frequency of the blower motor. Hissing noise? Hmmm, I don't like that either haha, especially reminds me of a leaking tire. Don't want to imagine a snake hiding somewhere either....

I see, then the system update details are rather vague, maybe just a general COMAND update. I did hear about a communication module update with a description of "This free update contains vital optimizations for the Mercedes me connect communication module, which are necessary at short notice and are performed in the course of a recall." mine was not included because I don't have Mercedes Me, also this description too is vague, but this update was pushed on May 29th, 2021 in Canada, I believe USA pushed it way earlier as only recently did Transport Canada announced such recall while USA announced it way earlier (beginning of this year or so).

Whatever this mysterious update is that affected your TPMS for the duration of the installation we still wouldn't know, hopefully the dealership can shed some light to it (actually, I take that back, I rather you don't have to go back to the dealership anymore). Hmmm, I got an idea, check your Mercedes Me app under service and check software updates, see if there is a more detailed description of a recently performed update. Also check the COMAND version in system settings in the car and check the Navigation version as well on the navigation screen.
zibby43 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
You are most welcome Zibby43! I am so glad it was at least helpful.

and hmmm, I am getting curious, especially if they say the software can alter the sound, I wonder if the software just (slows down...?) or change the direction/frequency of the blower motor. Hissing noise? Hmmm, I don't like that either haha, especially reminds me of a leaking tire. Don't want to imagine a snake hiding somewhere either....

I see, then the system update details are rather vague, maybe just a general COMAND update. I did hear about a communication module update with a description of "This free update contains vital optimizations for the Mercedes me connect communication module, which are necessary at short notice and are performed in the course of a recall." mine was not included because I don't have Mercedes Me, also this description too is vague, but this update was pushed on May 29th, 2021 in Canada, I believe USA pushed it way earlier as only recently did Transport Canada announced such recall while USA announced it way earlier (beginning of this year or so).

Whatever this mysterious update is that affected your TPMS for the duration of the installation we still wouldn't know, hopefully the dealership can shed some light to it (actually, I take that back, I rather you don't have to go back to the dealership anymore). Hmmm, I got an idea, check your Mercedes Me app under service and check software updates, see if there is a more detailed description of a recently performed update. Also check the COMAND version in system settings in the car and check the Navigation version as well on the navigation screen.
Oh the software fix is supposedly for the turbo wastegates, if that is indeed what was causing my noise. I should've been clearer about that. My bad! Definitely would rather have that than the hissing noise.

I literally laughed out loud at this line: "Actually, I take that back, I rather you don't have to go back to the dealership anymore."

I could not agree more with that sentiment haha. A few years ago, I had a SA at my dealership that I knew well. He was my SA for 5 years. He left, and since then, I've had 2 more (another one left just as we were starting to develop a rapport). The SA I'm working with now is starting to understand my expectations in terms of being a bit more hands-on (without being annoying) in troubleshooting before finally scheduling the car. I like to at least narrow down the problem before bringing it in, so nothing is being torn apart and put back together unnecessarily.

I couldn't find the update section under Service on my app (maybe the US version is different), but I'll check next time in the car. Thanks for the tip. On a side note, I was reading where electronic interference can sometimes temporarily frazzle the TPMS communication. I read where a few guys had trouble after programming their garage door homelink systems on their car. A day before I had my issue, I just happened to finally program the homelink system on my car.

Like you said though, since everything has seemed to resolve itself, and I have a way to confirm the source of the flapping noise if it comes back, I'm just going to continue to enjoy the car.
W205C43PFL (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 10:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Oh the software fix is supposedly for the turbo wastegates, if that is indeed what was causing my noise. I should've been clearer about that. My bad! Definitely would rather have that than the hissing noise.

I literally laughed out loud at this line: "Actually, I take that back, I rather you don't have to go back to the dealership anymore."

I could not agree more with that sentiment haha. A few years ago, I had a SA at my dealership that I knew well. He was my SA for 5 years. He left, and since then, I've had 2 more (another one left just as we were starting to develop a rapport). The SA I'm working with now is starting to understand my expectations in terms of being a bit more hands-on (without being annoying) in troubleshooting before finally scheduling the car. I like to at least narrow down the problem before bringing it in, so nothing is being torn apart and put back together unnecessarily.

I couldn't find the update section under Service on my app (maybe the US version is different), but I'll check next time in the car. Thanks for the tip. On a side note, I was reading where electronic interference can sometimes temporarily frazzle the TPMS communication. I read where a few guys had trouble after programming their garage door homelink systems on their car. A day before I had my issue, I just happened to finally program the homelink system on my car.

Like you said though, since everything has seemed to resolve itself, and I have a way to confirm the source of the flapping noise if it comes back, I'm just going to continue to enjoy the car.
No problem, I think I read it wrong so I got myself confused, it was my fault I am sorry. Reading it again, you clearly mentioned wastegate.

Nothing wrong with being hands-on to be honest, it saves a lot of hassle (of having to deal with the dealership) as long as you know what you are doing (which you do), just remember to keep the receipts of the products used for any services you perform yourself (such as receipt for the oil filter that you purchased from the dealership) so they don't have any excuses (like the service wasn't performed) for any future warranty claims. Since our cars require brake fluid change every other year, how do you want to get that done? It isn't hard just messy.

Ya agree! I really like your idea of having a good understanding of what the problem might be so we know what repairs might be expected before removing any panels or tinkering with anything.
We also hope things that doesn't need to be removed to be left alone, for example (a poor example: we don't want our engines removed when performing an oil change, just imagine that ) our cars are sensitive to everything as all electronics communicate with each other, there are chances that a connector isn't plugged in properly after the service or a bolt isn't torque properly, we don't want more things to break than is fixed. For known issues, research certainly helps, that is when forums like mbworld become a good resource. It is even more helpful when we know about the technical bulletins associated with the issue which members share here. Another useful piece of document (apparently confidential in Canada) will be the Xentry printout.

I understand the frustration of trying to explain to a new service advisior the concerns and then they don't understand a thing because they don't know your car's history, worse is when they don't listen and decides to proceed their own way. I am glad your SA understands you well, we lack SA that are car enthusiasts nowadays.

My apologies, I wasn't clear enough. I meant when you open your Mercedes Me app, You click More, there should be a service option and in the sub-menu it should show software updates, if not, it is in a separate tile that is called Vehicle Software updates, if not you might need to click another More in the sub-menu that pops up.

Interesting, that could be it then, it might have to do with home link, I wonder if the radio frequency emitted is the same bandwidth as the TPMS. Hmmm I wonder what technology does TPMS use. I also wonder if the facelift homelink technology is different because I do notice the facelift C43 rear-view mirror is different to the one on the pfl, it might just be a different mirror with the same homelink chip, not sure. Either way, homelink is a pain sometimes, especially with garage openers that has rolling codes and especially difficult to configure with SOMMER garage door openers (which is ironic because SOMMER is a German brand but come to think of it, homelink isn't German so...)

Yup, nothing better than enjoying your car, therefore, Enjoy!
zibby43 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8352186
8352186]

Yup, nothing better than enjoying your car, therefore, Enjoy!
How’s everything going with your ride?

TPMS have been flawless and I hadn’t heard the card flapping noise until yesterday. Once again, it only occurred in relatively cool weather with low humidity.

I can now rule out the climate control/blower motor, as the noise persisted for several minutes even after I turned off the system and continued driving.

Once the car warmed up, it went away. I’m guessing it’s something with the engine. Potentially the wastegates, as I suspected.

Since it goes away in the rare circumstances it does happen, and the car is running fine, I’m just going to live with it. At least I know I have zero residual rodent-related issues.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

The car still runs, thanks for asking : )

Oh good to hear that everything is back to normal, thanks for your update as well.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

How’s everything going with your ride?

TPMS have been flawless and I hadn’t heard the card flapping noise until yesterday. Once again, it only occurred in relatively cool weather with low humidity.

I can now rule out the climate control/blower motor, as the noise persisted for several minutes even after I turned off the system and continued driving.

Once the car warmed up, it went away. I’m guessing it’s something with the engine. Potentially the wastegates, as I suspected.

Since it goes away in the rare circumstances it does happen, and the car is running fine, I’m just going to live with it. At least I know I have zero residual rodent-related issues.
Uh ... I got some news today, looks like I am experiencing the noise you had it happened just driving around the city, I will try to have it recorded to compare with what you were experiencing but it lasted for a short amount of time so I didn't have time to record it. I wonder if my ears are playing tricks on me lol. I will keep you posted. I tried replicating it including power cycling, fan speed at max (at least the cabin doesn't vibrate compared to the last blower motor a few years ago) the temperature today was 25 degrees (77 fahrenheit) I will try again to replicate it the next day. It was way warmer than last week, three weeks we actually had snow in the middle of May.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8359091
8359091[/url]]Uh ... I got some news today, looks like I am experiencing the noise you had it happened just driving around the city, I will try to have it recorded to compare with what you were experiencing but it lasted for a short amount of time so I didn't have time to record it. I wonder if my ears are playing tricks on me lol. I will keep you posted. I tried replicating it including power cycling, fan speed at max (at least the cabin doesn't vibrate compared to the last blower motor a few years ago) the temperature today was 25 degrees (77 fahrenheit) I will try again to replicate it the next day. It was way warmer than last week, three weeks we actually had snow in the middle of May.
Oh my goodness that’s wild timing my friend! Whatever questions you have, I’ll do my best to assist.

I also notice it at city speeds in cool, less humid conditions. It also goes away when the car warms up a bit and the oil and transmission temps go from blue to white.

I have definitely ruled out the blower motor in my case, as I shut it off immediately when I last heard it and the noise still persisted for 10 minutes. But I only heard it at about 35 mph (could be rev-related?), and more pronounced when lifting off throttle.

Given all those observations and conditions, I’m thinking it’s wastegates. Also, if I drive the car on consecutive days, the noise is not present on the second day and beyond.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Oh my goodness that’s wild timing my friend! Whatever questions you have, I’ll do my best to assist.

I also notice it at city speeds in cool, less humid conditions. It also goes away when the car warms up a bit and the oil and transmission temps go from blue to white.

I have definitely ruled out the blower motor in my case, as I shut it off immediately when I last heard it and the noise still persisted for 10 minutes. But I only heard it at about 35 mph (could be rev-related?), and more pronounced when lifting off throttle.

Given all those observations and conditions, I’m thinking it’s wastegates. Also, if I drive the car on consecutive days, the noise is not present on the second day and beyond.
Thanks so much Zibby43, I appreciate that, I will try to duplicate it again today but I did the adjust filter trick and see if it helped, I will keep you posted.
I will follow the information you provided, it is rainy today however so perhaps have to try it tomorrow.

Funny thing is, I actually feel better now that you are not the only one experiencing the problem, the noise I hear is the same loudness just super short compared to what you experienced but either way, I can now share your pain and a similar experience that you have. I just hate hearing that you are dealing all these problems because I believe you deserve way better especially after the lemon prior car and the other problematic car you had in the past and on top of the accident you had that led to the injuries you had. I really hope all your injuries are healed now and you really get a chance to enjoy your car now.

Yup, I too think it is the wastegate, well, I am on my own this time (but not really because of your help and everyone else on this forum) since my warranty expired but hey you guys are more helpful than those "experts" at the dealership so that is a good thing. I sometimes think you guys know more about ours cars than those people at the dealership (you know, those people who are trained by the brand to work for the brand yet still don't know the workings of our cars LOL.)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-18-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8359249
8359249[/url]]Thanks so much Zibby43, I appreciate that, I will try to duplicate it again today but I did the adjust filter trick and see if it helped, I will keep you posted.
I will follow the information you provided, it is rainy today however so perhaps have to try it tomorrow.

Funny thing is, I actually feel better now that you are not the only one experiencing the problem, the noise I hear is the same loudness just super short compared to what you experienced but either way, I can now share your pain and a similar experience that you have. I just hate hearing that you are dealing all these problems because I believe you deserve way better especially after the lemon prior car and the other problematic car you had in the past and on top of the accident you had that led to the injuries you had. I really hope all your injuries are healed now and you really get a chance to enjoy your car now.

Yup, I too think it is the wastegate, well, I am on my own this time (but not really because of your help and everyone else on this forum) since my warranty expired but hey you guys are more helpful than those "experts" at the dealership so that is a good thing. I sometimes think you guys know more about ours cars than those people at the dealership (you know, those people who are trained by the brand to work for the brand yet still don't know the workings of our cars LOL.)
You are very welcome! Please keep me updated in this thread and I’ll continue to check in with my own updates and observations. I took a few more videos the other day with the climate control off. The noise is easier to hear than in my first post.

I’ll post the new clips tomorrow after I upload them to YouTube. Maybe that will help you ascertain whether the noise is in fact the same?

It was scorching hot (and humid) today - so no noise whatsoever when driving. I’m actually really enjoying the car finally, so I hope the noise situation remains intermittent or goes away completely. It’s nice to finally enjoy full power in nice driving weather! This thing is seriously fast and great at putting the power down.

Thank you very much for the kind words! I had a treatment for some of my injuries this past week and I’m starting to feel a lot better after a few days of bed rest. I’m able to run 4+ miles at the pace I used to again, and that’s been a huge mood and health boost.

Noise issues in particular are so hard for the dealership to pinpoint, and most customers have no interest whatsoever in being involved in the diagnosis, so when service personnel run into guys like us, I think it’s hard for them to switch up their normal procedures and accommodate us.

Luckily, my polite persistence has helped me to build some relationships with the new personnel and I’m grateful they’ve been accommodating. Hopefully you can have a similar progression.

In the meantime, I 100% agree about how awesome this forum is as a resource. It has helped me troubleshoot so many issues and saved me from multiple unnecessary dealer trips. So hopefully I can be of assistance in your case since we both seem to be noticing some watergate noise.

Last edited by zibby43; 06-19-2021 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Here’s a video from the other day.

It’s only 5 seconds long, but if you crank the volume up, you can hear it for the entire duration.

Climate control was completely OFF for several minutes when this was taken.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Here’s a video from the other day.

It’s only 5 seconds long, but if you crank the volume up, you can hear it for the entire duration.

Climate control was completely OFF for several minutes when this was taken.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5Wwz2A7iqss?feature=share
Thanks Zibby43 for your constant follow up.
Here is my version:
Climate control was off as well
The duration of the noise is much shorter than what you are experiencing.
Edit1: I think mines is actually louder than yours too for some reason? Oh well, it is hard to tell if not in person, perhaps the device you use to record with makes it more quiet than it actually is or my device makes it louder than it actually is.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-20-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8360232
8360232[/url]]Thanks Zibby43 for your constant follow up.
Here is my version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadDXqcC78U
Climate control was off as well
The duration of the noise is much shorter than what you are experiencing.
Edit1: I think mines is actually louder than yours too for some reason? Oh well, it is hard to tell if not in person, perhaps the device you use to record with makes it more quiet than it actually is or my device makes it louder than it actually is.
Yours may be a touch louder, but I also think your device is just better at capturing the audio.

That’s exactly what my noise sounds like!

If it’s happening with the blower off, it’s not the blower motor or any of the fans.

I think it’s either our wastegates or the injectors. Only things I can think of.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yours may be a touch louder, but I also think your device is just better at capturing the audio.

That’s exactly what my noise sounds like!

If it’s happening with the blower off, it’s not the blower motor or any of the fans.

I think it’s either our wastegates or the injectors. Only things I can think of.
Yup, it is most likely just wastegates like you said. Functionally, it is fine I believe it wouldn't affect the car in any negative way. I guess ill just add it to my growing list of small annoyances : P
Another thing is, might not be my device that can record better. There is a chance that your car is better insulated sound wise being fl. For example, wind noise from driver side was less apparent on the fl I test drove compared to mine. I am sure your car rattles and squeaks less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTH? Weird noise coming from COMAND screen area - ‘20 C43