Weistec C43 Turbo, Tune, Downpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 08:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
GT53, GLE53
Weistec C43 Turbo, Tune, Downpipe

All,

Looking for a sanity check here. Weistec parts from the feedback I've found on here, but seeking more recent/updated advice vs the older posts I seem to keep finding.

Weistec turbocharger upgrade
Weistec stage 1 tune
Weistec downpipes

Work to be done here in Memphis, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything I should be getting or not.

Looking mainly to compete (ego) against my wife's GLE 63S... can't let her have more HPs... We would call this ego lifting at the gym...

Could eventually be a track day car, but not looking to go crazy extreme on it right now. Just want to start inching my way that direction.

Lastly, assuming the tune will eliminate engine messages after downpipes?

Thanks in advance for the guidance, and if I am missing any search threads from Weistec gear and feedback on this combo more recently than 2019, my apologies.

r/
Slag
Old 08-23-2021, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG
Originally Posted by SlagDizzle
All,

Looking for a sanity check here. Weistec parts from the feedback I've found on here, but seeking more recent/updated advice vs the older posts I seem to keep finding.

Weistec turbocharger upgrade
Weistec stage 1 tune
Weistec downpipes

Work to be done here in Memphis, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything I should be getting or not.

Looking mainly to compete (ego) against my wife's GLE 63S... can't let her have more HPs... We would call this ego lifting at the gym...

Could eventually be a track day car, but not looking to go crazy extreme on it right now. Just want to start inching my way that direction.

Lastly, assuming the tune will eliminate engine messages after downpipes?

Thanks in advance for the guidance, and if I am missing any search threads from Weistec gear and feedback on this combo more recently than 2019, my apologies.

r/
Slag
Do you have any other mods? By no means am I an expert and others may want to correct me but I think you may need a bit more!

With also those no doubt you’ll be running pretty hot, do you have an upgraded Chargecooler an intake would also be useful - although there’s not many great options at the moment and hopefully Logos and/or Modalworks will come through soon!

you will also probably want to upgrade the fuel system, spool do a HPFP and LPFP, alternatively, you may be fine with an OEM+ upgrade!

Finally, to be aware (and from what I’ve seen/been told) you may struggle to maintain anything more than 500whp. This is because the rods aren’t forged and are the weak link in the engine. Anything more and you risk throwing them.

Again I’m no expert and If you’ve already done all these then great! Wish you the best and look forward that to seeing how this progresses!
Old 08-23-2021, 02:40 PM

GT53, GLE53
Originally Posted by LBarto
Do you have any other mods? By no means am I an expert and others may want to correct me but I think you may need a bit more!

With also those no doubt you’ll be running pretty hot, do you have an upgraded Chargecooler an intake would also be useful - although there’s not many great options at the moment and hopefully Logos and/or Modalworks will come through soon!

you will also probably want to upgrade the fuel system, spool do a HPFP and LPFP, alternatively, you may be fine with an OEM+ upgrade!

Finally, to be aware (and from what I’ve seen/been told) you may struggle to maintain anything more than 500whp. This is because the rods aren’t forged and are the weak link in the engine. Anything more and you risk throwing them.

Again I’m no expert and If you’ve already done all these then great! Wish you the best and look forward that to seeing how this progresses!
Good stuff my friend. Thank you. I’ve also read the discussions mainly about going with fuel pump but also intercooler etc.

I just got off the phone with Weistec sales. Ryan said no need for downpipes with the configuration I’m seeking. Would do turbos and stage one tune putting me in the 450-470s. That’s perfect for where I wanted to be. Definitely not looking for the 500s without an engine rework so this would be perfect.

he says they are running about 2 week turnaround on the turbos (8/23/21) currently, but are usually about a 5 day turn. I can send them the ECU and the turbos all in one shot.

what do you all think of that advice? Throw spears…
Old 08-23-2021, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG
Good stuff my friend. Thank you. I’ve also read the discussions mainly about going with fuel pump but also intercooler etc.

I just got off the phone with Weistec sales. Ryan said no need for downpipes with the configuration I’m seeking. Would do turbos and stage one tune putting me in the 450-470s. That’s perfect for where I wanted to be. Definitely not looking for the 500s without an engine rework so this would be perfect.

he says they are running about 2 week turnaround on the turbos (8/23/21) currently, but are usually about a 5 day turn. I can send them the ECU and the turbos all in one shot.

thanks bud. Yeah that don’t sound to bad to be fair - it should remain well within tolerances.

If need be and later down the line, it may still be worth investing in the chargecooler (it should pretty much be bolt-on, but a map will make it a reach it’s full potential.

on the fuel front, I understand the HPFP is the bottle neck in the system. So if you experience issues there afterwards it may be worth upgrading it.

I have a thread on here about the OEM+ upgrades which also detail the part numbers. They may be enough for you and should be a cheaper option than the Spool performance versions!
Old 08-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
S5,C450
@SlagDizzle shoot us an email, we have the intercoolers in stock (just waiting for the custom shipping boxes to come in) $1,495 for the whole kit and kabootle (charge pipes and intercooler core)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500

That's such bad advice, you're going go spend thousands on turbos to achieve a power level possible on stage 2?
Upgrading turbos ( weistec hybrids only upgrade the compressor as well) and keeping yeh stock restrictive downpipe is just silly.
A much cheaper option is decat + tune and then get the upgraded chargecooler to keep power constant and prevent heatsoak.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:33 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
That's such bad advice, you're going go spend thousands on turbos to achieve a power level possible on stage 2?
Upgrading turbos ( weistec hybrids only upgrade the compressor as well) and keeping yeh stock restrictive downpipe is just silly.
A much cheaper option is decat + tune and then get the upgraded chargecooler to keep power constant and prevent heatsoak.
100% agreed.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:20 PM

GT53, GLE53
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
see this is good stuff right here. I did find it odd that the Weistec rep said their own DPs not needed. I actually took the advice as reputable that they weren’t in it just for the sale. I mean, for all that $$, it’s literally nothing to put the pipes on…

now you’ve got me reconsidering for the decat/dp + tune and intercooler. My god so many good options. It’s a good day to have a car that’s been around a few years that has so many options.

thanks all for all the great perspectives. Seriously. I know these questions have been asked before, but I’m glad to have more recent advice.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
If you have the stock PE exhaust (true dual exhaust), downpipes dont do much until you start to approach 450-500 WHP. They are actually only for sound. The stock c43 exhaust is very good and not as restrictive as most would assume. Most modern car stock performance exhaust is plenty for basic tunes. We recorded worse times on our c43 for 0-60 and 1/4 mile with downpipes and just tune. The car felt more alive though and maybe it was just due to the sound. There was marginal benefit on 60-130 at lower tuned power levels.

We have yet to do turbos but in theory just turbos and tune may be a reasonable way to go. Bigger turbos (yes even only a larger compressor wheel) will allow you to run more power with less boost. meaning charge air temps wont get as hot meaning less of a need for an intercooler.

No one that I know of has gone this direction doing turbos and tune only off the batt other than maybe 1 unconfirmed guy and he had good results and is on the top 5 list on dragy.

Keep in mind, if you are trying to make a certain level of power, it still takes a min requirement amount of fuel regardless of how the air is delivered. Thus upgrading the fuel system is always recommended.

Last edited by Star4life; 08-26-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:53 AM

GT53, GLE53
Originally Posted by Star4life
If you have the stock PE exhaust (true dual exhaust), downpipes dont do much until you start to approach 450-500 WHP. They are actually only for sound. The stock c43 exhaust is very good and not as restrictive as most would assume. Most modern car stock performance exhaust is plenty for basic tunes. We recorded worse times on our c43 for 0-60 and 1/4 mile with downpipes and just tune. The car felt more alive though and maybe it was just due to the sound. There was marginal benefit on 60-130 at lower tuned power levels.

We have yet to do turbos but in theory just turbos and tune may be a reasonable way to go. Bigger turbos (yes even only a larger compressor wheel) will allow you to run more power with less boost. meaning charge air temps wont get as hot meaning less of a need for an intercooler.

No one that I know of has gone this direction doing turbos and tune only off the batt other than maybe 1 unconfirmed guy and he had good results and is on the top 5 list on dragy.

Keep in mind, if you are trying to make a certain level of power, it still takes a min requirement amount of fuel regardless of how the air is delivered. Thus upgrading the fuel system is always recommended.
after all the good and constructive feedback, I adjusted the route I was going… keeping it under 500hp etc.

Went with EC Stage 1, BMS intake and a dragy. Once we see how this goes, will move on further with intercooler/fuel pump etc based on your all’s feedback. Once again, this is a great group and lots of great experience here. Thank you!

Brian