Sponsored by:

Turning C450 Crankshaft / Drain TC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 AMG
Turning C450 Crankshaft / Drain TC?

Does anyone know how to turn the engine over manually in order to complete the transmission oil change (including torque converter)? More info below.

I’m just about to start the transmission oil drain / change on my C450 AMG, only to realize the crankshaft bolt in the center of the crank pulley / harmonic balancer pulley (which you need to turn in order to access the drain plug on the harmonic balancer) is entirely inaccessible on our turbo charged engines as the intercooler sits less than an inch in front of it. I’ve watched a million videos and read even more tutorials, and none mention this, or how to work around it.

My best guess will be to sneak a narrow strap wrench / chain wrench around the outside of the pulley and try to turn it that way (though gaining leverage may be an issue).

Otherwise I’ll have to settle for swapping in a new filer and exchanging what oil I can while leaving the torque converter I drained, and repeat again later in order to dilute the bad oil leftover.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:38 AM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
There is only like 2qts in the converter. There is a chance your converter bolt lines up with the transfer case access hole but when i did mine i wasnt really concerned with getting everything out considering the fluid still had a nice blue color to it.

Second method would be to pull the trans cooler line off and flush out the old that way. you will never get everything out. Best bet is to just change every 50k miles to ensure its never old fluid to begin with.

Edit: Also could pull the spark plugs, take off the belt and rotate the motor using the belt around the pulley. should rotate pretty easily that way.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
As suggested above, other than that, I found this thread, not sure if it will help at all different car for sure: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...il-change.html