Sponsored by:

Pitted Windshield Common?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C43
Pitted Windshield Common?

I'm a new owner of a MB Certified 2019 C43. Took the car for a test drive and inspected it upon taking ownership. However, I only sat breifly in the passenger seat. Two days later my wife sat in the passenger seat when we were out on an errand and noticed some tiny marks on the passenger side of the windshield. Sure enough one area on the windshield is pitted. I have told the MB dealership I bought it from about this and have not yet heard back.

I live in Phoenix and thought this could be from blowing desert sand or the sun. The rest of the car has no marks and in fact except for the windshield, the car looks brand new inside and out.

A couple of questions:
  1. Do these windshields pit easily?
  2. Since it is a certified car, is the dealer required to replace the windshield?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2023, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 173 Posts
Amg C43
The CPO “required standards” on the mb home page are great. But dealers seem to give a lot of “well it is a used car”
That’s maybe just Illinois dealers
I would 100% expect that to be corrected.
check the cpo sheet and see if there’s any mention of windshield issue.
They’re supposed to be just like brand new

don’t give in till u get what u expect
keep bringing it in if u have to call corp

Last edited by MaverickC43; 06-05-2023 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 06-05-2023, 08:28 AM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
1. yes MB glass chips/pits easy.
2. I would say no, its normal "wear and tear" that doesnt effect reliability or performance.

I have pits on mine and I have tried twice to polish them out, but the glass is so hard i havnt made much progress even with glass polish+ glass pad+high speed 6" polisher.
I thought about having it replaced, but having had windshields replaced in the past, i dont trust any of the glass replacement companies or the aftermarket glass they provide. I dont see the dealer wanting to use MB OEM glass or their shop labor to do the work for CPO...
Old 06-10-2023, 10:55 AM

2019 C43
Told me no

The dealer finally got back to me and told me that it is normal wear, and they will not replace it. They also said that these windshields show pitting after several years in AZ. It was worth the try. I will wait a while and see if I can get insurance to cover the replacement. Thanks all for your input.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 529 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by C43Joe
The dealer finally got back to me and told me that it is normal wear, and they will not replace it. They also said that these windshields show pitting after several years in AZ. It was worth the try. I will wait a while and see if I can get insurance to cover the replacement. Thanks all for your input.
If the pits are deep enough to accept some resin and you don't have many, you could try one of those UV glue kits.

Windshield Repair Kit for Glass - Automotive Glass DIY Windscreen Tool for Fixing Chips, Cracks and Star-Shaped Crack - Nano Fluid Filler Repair Kit Windshield Crack Repair Kit https://a.co/d/dNTRpnp
Old 06-12-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
It's normal on our cars.. My car is a 2016 and has pits that I only see during the day time but I've gotten used to it. Our windshield's are not cheap to in cost and to replace so unless it's broken and cracked, then I would get my insurance to fit the bill since I have glass protection in my policy.

Last edited by Cosworth2000; 06-13-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Are you new to the Valley area? I live in Scottsdale and the roads here are notorious for damaging windshields. This might be your first pitted windshield but if you drive at all on the highway I will promise you it won’t be your last. I purposely avoid following people to close, don’t get behind trucks, etc and I’ve been through four windshields in two years. In fact I bought my CL600 that still had its original windshield. Not three days later did I get a chip that spread into a full on foot long crack.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by C43Joe
Insurance will only cover replacement if the windshield is cracked. They will authorize repair if the chip breaches the first layer of glass. Nothing for small pits.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 529 Posts
GLE 580
What is the rake of Mercedes windshields? Are they more prone to pits and chips if it's a steeper angle?
Old 06-13-2023, 09:38 AM

2019 C43
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
Are you new to the Valley area? I live in Scottsdale and the roads here are notorious for damaging windshields. This might be your first pitted windshield but if you drive at all on the highway I will promise you it won’t be your last. I purposely avoid following people to close, don’t get behind trucks, etc and I’ve been through four windshields in two years. In fact I bought my CL600 that still had its original windshield. Not three days later did I get a chip that spread into a full on foot long crack.
I lived here for almost 15 years and chips are an issue. I have had a Corvette, Maserati, Challenger, Mazada, and my wife has a GLC 300 and have experienced limited pitting. I think the slant of the windshield might have something to do with it.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 W205 FL C43 AMG Saloon Selenite Gray
My 2019 has a lot of pits and a small crack. I don't notice the pitting unless I'm driving into the sun and then it's blinding. I'm not sure if my vehicle insurance will pay for a replacement. I'm located in Florida. They have no deductible windshield replacement.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:14 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
In BC pretty much all road "gravel" is actually crushed rock -- which means the particles have sharp edges -- so rock chips on exposed paint, rims and windshields is guaranteed. FWIW, I've been experimenting with clear epoxy to fill rock chips and have had some success.

I happen to be using SilverTip epoxy, but likely any clear/casting-type epoxy would work (smaller quantities available via Amazon). I mix a small amount on a piece of heavy paper then, using a bamboo (chop)stick that's been sanded/sharpened to a fine point, I dab a small drop onto the chip (being careful to work it in to get a good fill) and let it harden overnight. The next day I take a scraper-type razor blade and, with strong downward pressure and a slant that matches the angle of the edge-grind, I make a slightly "sliding sideways" cut to slice off the excess leaving a fill that's flush with the glass surface.

I've only recently started doing this so I don't have any data on how long it'll last or how well it'll survive moisture, winter, etc. but it's pretty easy to do so re-doing wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,652 Likes on 2,256 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by user33
In BC pretty much all road "gravel" is actually crushed rock -- which means the particles have sharp edges -- so rock chips on exposed paint, rims and windshields is guaranteed. FWIW, I've been experimenting with clear epoxy to fill rock chips and have had some success.

I happen to be using SilverTip epoxy, but likely any clear/casting-type epoxy would work (smaller quantities available via Amazon). I mix a small amount on a piece of heavy paper then, using a bamboo (chop)stick that's been sanded/sharpened to a fine point, I dab a small drop onto the chip (being careful to work it in to get a good fill) and let it harden overnight. The next day I take a scraper-type razor blade and, with strong downward pressure and a slant that matches the angle of the edge-grind, I make a slightly "sliding sideways" cut to slice off the excess leaving a fill that's flush with the glass surface.

I've only recently started doing this so I don't have any data on how long it'll last or how well it'll survive moisture, winter, etc. but it's pretty easy to do so re-doing wouldn't be a big deal.
G-Wagen owners considered this, not sure if it makes sense however:
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...rotection.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ld-phobia.html