C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Buy C450: Can Owners List Their Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by TwoC400s
- First C400 was purchased CPO in 2017 with 7k miles on the clock, currently 101k miles. All maintenance through 2022 was done at dealership via pre-paid service plans and only when the car called for it via the service menu. They wouldn't even sell me a 4th service plan, which I thought was kinda crazy.

The only unscheduled repairs have been cam magnet cover leaks and drive shaft guibos at ~85k miles. I think we're on the 3rd set of rear pads/rotors while the fronts were replaced once. This is my wife's car so driving style can only be characterized as "Elderly Grandmother."

- Second C400 was purchased in January 2022 with a hair over 40K miles on the clock (currently 49k miles). Was immediately taken to the drag strip and flogged. Then a JB4 was added and it was flogged some more, and then tuned via EC Houston and flogged some more (12.51@112.99mph).

I have developed cam magnet cover leaks on driver side, which I'm going to do myself.

The car had nearly new Bridgestone run flats on it when I bought it, and they're almost shot already. Plan is to get Kmac adjustable bits and have it truly aligned when I put some Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires on it.

Overall assessment: absolutely fantastic cars that are an amazing performance/comfort bargain.
As much as I would prefer the C450, most are 80,000 to 100,00 miles with signs of heavy driving.
I don't want to buy from boy racers.
The C400s I've seen have lower milage and more affordable which I can then mod.

The 2017 C43s I've looked at seem to have leaks at 40 to 50K miles.
Q1.) Is that normal in your opinion?

Q2.) What options would you consider as must have? Park assist, blind spot, dynamic headlights, leather? Owners don't disclose options on their cars here.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 09-05-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C450 AMG
Since my experience is with a C450 only, my take is very narrow - mine had no visible leaks whatsoever at 42K (initial purchase). I would have to assume (like any car), leaks would be indictive of a harsh environment, lack of service, excessive a$$hat boy racers - or any other these factors and more - in combination at a lower mileage. I got very lucky to find an unmolested/no mod car with a decent service history. I spent $125 for my (old) indy Subie tuner/shop to throw three techs (with experienced mechanical eyeballs) at the car on an alignment rack for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) that took 20 minutes, which sealed the deal for me literally.

Q2 > since I'm Gen X, I float in between fighting technology and welcoming it. I could care less about the heads up display feature, but my millennial co-workers are in love with it. I don't get loaded anymore, so lane departure isn't something that I value either, unless I'm driving home late & feel sleepy. Common sense would be to pull over in that circumstance, but I'm not a MENSA member. Park assist isn't needed unless you lose an eyeball and/or your depth perception is compromised; or you are terrible for parallel parking. Blind spot is good, because, well...idiots (usually) unintentionally hide in your blind spot when you attempt to merge onto freeways. I love the HID headlights and their performance, but also fear if I would ever have to replace them. I think you only get the MB-tex (fake leather) for the interior seat fabrics...I could be way wrong though~
The driver assist features are just a way to make you a lazier driver in my opinion...for those (non-enthusiasts) who want to check out and let the computer drive for them.
The following users liked this post:
Nicholi2007 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 11:47 PM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by SizzlCheez7
Since my experience is with a C450 only, my take is very narrow - mine had no visible leaks whatsoever at 42K (initial purchase). I would have to assume (like any car), leaks would be indictive of a harsh environment, lack of service, excessive a$$hat boy racers - or any other these factors and more - in combination at a lower mileage. I got very lucky to find an unmolested/no mod car with a decent service history. I spent $125 for my (old) indy Subie tuner/shop to throw three techs (with experienced mechanical eyeballs) at the car on an alignment rack for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) that took 20 minutes, which sealed the deal for me literally.

Q2 > since I'm Gen X, I float in between fighting technology and welcoming it. I could care less about the heads up display feature, but my millennial co-workers are in love with it. I don't get loaded anymore, so lane departure isn't something that I value either, unless I'm driving home late & feel sleepy. Common sense would be to pull over in that circumstance, but I'm not a MENSA member. Park assist isn't needed unless you lose an eyeball and/or your depth perception is compromised; or you are terrible for parallel parking. Blind spot is good, because, well...idiots (usually) unintentionally hide in your blind spot when you attempt to merge onto freeways. I love the HID headlights and their performance, but also fear if I would ever have to replace them. I think you only get the MB-tex (fake leather) for the interior seat fabrics...I could be way wrong though~
The driver assist features are just a way to make you a lazier driver in my opinion...for those (non-enthusiasts) who want to check out and let the computer drive for them.
I'm also Gen X. Parallel parking is no problem for me. As long as
I have the tilt mirror on passenger in reverse and beep with the rear camera I'm good.
I probably have it wrong with park assist.
With diagonal street parking, I avoid hitting the curb or scraping the front bumper.
But sometimes my lazy *** does not want to get out to check the front.
If there was a sensor that would be good.
Parking rules here have a rule on how close to curb you need to be otherwise you get cited.. *****...

I probably just need the 360 Camera.

Dynamic headlights seem like an essential. The more visibility the better.
HUD seems too video game-ish.. A radar detector would do.
C450 seat options are microfiber with a touch of leather, MB-Tex (straight vinyl) or leather.
Ventilated seats I've haven't had an opportunity to test. Many claim it's inferior.

Thanks for the input.
SizzlCheez7 (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 12:49 AM

C450 AMG
Mine is the leather with a touch of microfiber. Seem very durable with plenty of life. Had a 7 hour road trip a couple months back without any lower back fatigue. Heated seats in mine.
I have test driven the breathable with cooling. Just makes me feel like I am drenched in cold sweat.
Sorry to hear about curb *****...I can relate, however at least they are not in my neighborhood yet.
Had a friend who spilled his Starbucks in his lap and it soaked through the ventilated seats. He said after $400 in valet cleaning he could still never get the rotted Carmel Machiatto stench out of his driver seat. Sold the car shortly after.
Nicholi2007 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
As much as I would prefer the C450, most are 80,000 to 100,00 miles with signs of heavy driving.
I don't want to buy from boy racers.
The C400s I've seen have lower milage and more affordable which I can then mod.

The 2017 C43s I've looked at seem to have leaks at 40 to 50K miles.
Q1.) Is that normal in your opinion?

Q2.) What options would you consider as must have? Park assist, blind spot, dynamic headlights, leather? Owners don't disclose options on their cars here.

Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I don't believe dynamic headlights or 360 view were options on the C400.

Those came later. In 2015, C400s were top of the non-AMG range, and there was no C43 that year, only the C63, so they usually came very well optioned. Every C400 I've ever seen was a full leather interior.

My wife's car is optioned out: convenience package, driver assist package, et al. My car has neither, so no warning beeps while backing up, and no power closing trunk. I do have blind spot warning, which I think is essential.
​​​
The cam sprocket cover leak is extremely common, regardless of service history or driving style. The trans-cooler leaking also seems to be fairly normal, but neither of mine leak.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:41 PM

2009 C350
I've looked at cars for a full year.
  1. 80% of the C400s had dynamic headlights. 98% had blind spot
  2. The 360 camera was only available starting with they C450. Retrofit would be 2-3K.
I did find a C400 but then discovered the transmission service was done at 82K miles. The previous
owner only put 1,000 miles on it and was back to the same dealer.

I asked the salesman if he wanted to confirm the service mileage listed. He then went into his playbook.

salesman

I haven't heard a C400 transmission fail solely because it was driven hard. Neglected
and driven hard sure. I know the transmission valve body can be a problem but there are
signs.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 09-06-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:44 PM

2009 C350
Found a C450

I did find a C450 in palladium silver with black leather with 72K miles, 3 accidents (1 moderate, 2 minor), but the owner lowered it on 18."
Bad news is the transmission is due and calipers painted are peeling.

Nearest Mercedes dealer is 1 hour away from them.

I tend to stay away from accident cars as I worry about issues.

Really tough market. Exhausted from looking....
Old 09-06-2023, 09:37 PM

Late service on the 7g-tronic plus is pretty much a non issue unless the car was some kind of dedicated HPDE track car clocking hundreds of high intensity laps.

The 7-speed in the C400/C450 is pretty much the best version of that trans that has ever existed.

Could it be hurt? Sure.

Is it statistically likely? No.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:21 PM

2009 C350
Late service on the 7g-tronic plus is pretty much a non issue unless the car was some kind of dedicated HPDE track car clocking hundreds of high intensity laps.

The 7-speed in the C400/C450 is pretty much the best version of that trans that has ever existed.

Could it be hurt? Sure.

Is it statistically likely? No.
I hear you. There's no way to know. Risky. It has 89k miles and they want $21,500 which is market value.
I don't think they will budge. Transmission service done at 82,491 and I believe 70K is the interval.

If you say it's nearly bullet proof that's good to know.

The other option is a C43 (9G) in Cavanite Blue at 89K miles and well cared for. Not sure what to think of that color
and all colors fade a tad.

So lot of higher milage cars. The car market doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 09-07-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
2016 C450 with 145k miles, still running good, no problems !
Nicholi2007 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 09:52 AM

I've looked at cars for a full year.
  1. 80% of the C400s had dynamic headlights. 98% had blind spot
  2. The 360 camera was only available starting with they C450. Retrofit would be 2-3K.
Neither of my C400s have full LED dynamics. One LED driving light and a halogen high beam on both cars.
​​​​
Old 09-07-2023, 12:16 PM

2009 C350
Neither of my C400s have full LED dynamics. One LED driving light and a halogen high beam on both cars.
​​​​
Requires the lighting package. Both LED lights are on with dynamic but the low beam dimmed.
The lights turn as the wheel turns which is especially helpful on dark country roads.

I had a loaner and I felt the light output was definitely superior with dynamic.

It also has high beam assist which turns off as cars approach so you don't blind them. \\
You can activate the feature or keep it off.

Dynamic can be retrofitted like anything if you have the money and time. It should be an easier mod instead of halogen
but it might require coding.

TwoC400s (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 12:58 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
I spent just shy of two years and roughly 25k miles with my C450. I had no issues but at only around 45k miles that should be expected.

I had nothing outside of regular maintenance during my time except for exterior door lights regularly dying. I would still be an owner if it hadn't been for inflated Covid car prices allowing me to own it for free.
The only complaints I had were the jerkiness from the transmission when driving "normally" around town and tire life. I managed to kill a set of PS4s in about 9k miles, however I did them no favors.

By chance, I learned another forum member here was the original owner of my car. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts on the first 20k miles of it's life.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:08 PM

Requires the lighting package. Both LED lights are on with dynamic but the low beam dimmed.
The lights turn as the wheel turns which is especially helpful on dark country roads.

I had a loaner and I felt the light output was definitely superior with dynamic.

It also has high beam assist which turns off as cars approach so you don't blind them. \\
You can activate the feature or keep it off.

Dynamic can be retrofitted like anything if you have the money and time. It should be an easier mod instead of halogen
but it might require coding.

Yes, both of mine have the "premium package."

All my bulbs and modules are original, stock parts. I have zero complaints about the lights or their output, but I seldom drive in places that have little or no lighting.
Nicholi2007 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:21 PM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
I spent just shy of two years and roughly 25k miles with my C450. I had no issues but at only around 45k miles that should be expected.

I had nothing outside of regular maintenance during my time except for exterior door lights regularly dying. I would still be an owner if it hadn't been for inflated Covid car prices allowing me to own it for free.
The only complaints I had were the jerkiness from the transmission when driving "normally" around town and tire life. I managed to kill a set of PS4s in about 9k miles, however I did them no favors.

By chance, I learned another forum member here was the original owner of my car. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts on the first 20k miles of it's life.
The exterior door LED door lights were upgraded and the light color is different. Not sure why some have issue and others not?
It could be be a bad ground. You'd have to scan the car.
The jerkiness can usually be solved by a software update. Sounds like you drove that car super hard. Only lasted 9k miles?

Covid really upended the market. Prices are still at least 20% over. Covid is spiking again BTW.

Found a C450 in Palladium out in MO but missing tow hook cover.
Lady rep tried to sell the car to me that way. Never followed up. I follow up again weeks later
and they found the cover..
She tells me I can send you cold start video in AM. Today she then tells me the car is sold.

These car sales people are crazy like a fox. They cause brain damage..

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 09-07-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
The jerkiness can usually be solved by a software update. Sounds like you drove that car super hard. Only lasted 9k miles?
I had the transmission reprogrammed twice, it just seemed to get confused with varying driving styles. I enjoyed it thoroughly, that's for sure. My daily commute is all winding backroads with a stretch reminiscent of Laguna Seca's cork screw.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:07 AM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
I had the transmission reprogrammed twice, it just seemed to get confused with varying driving styles. I enjoyed it thoroughly, that's for sure. My daily commute is all winding backroads with a stretch reminiscent of Laguna Seca's cork screw.
Their software has flaws which their updates have mostly addressed. It's not perfect.
If you're John Bonham with that pedal, prior to the updates, then yes it will have a helluva time trying to understand and cope.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:55 PM

C450 AMG
Nicholi2007 - curious, what's your budget? Here in the PNW, most available offerings are $30K range with 60+K miles.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:30 PM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by SizzlCheez7
Nicholi2007 - curious, what's your budget? Here in the PNW, most available offerings are $30K range with 60+K miles.
  • Trying to stay at 25K to leave some $ for ceramic tint or mods
  • A lot of dishonest dealers both authorized Mercedes and independent
  • Many with accident history sometimes 2 with moderate damage
I almost bought a C400 but found out it was a test car. I got nervous and bailed.

I'm seeing lower mileage 45 to 50k miles if it's a private seller. Two were Cavansite blue metallic. Not sure if I like that color.

Problem is most C450s are at 77-90k miles and/or missing service history with 18" rims. Some good and some worn.

I want 19" wheels with C450 which are not easy to come by.

I was going to go slightly higher with a Mercedes dealer.They had a C450 with the C63 rear diffuser mod and tint. Then they removed the tint which
was likely ceramic. The car was super clean too.

It's the wild west.

I need to make a decision soon before the Fed raises rates or I'll probably be priced out.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 09-11-2023 at 05:41 PM.
SizzlCheez7 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 05:26 PM

2009 C350
Pano Sunroof

Surprised how bad the pano roof failure is and can fail as early as 23,000 miles

My local mechanic quoted $1,500 to $1,700 to fix. 4 hour job.

Dealer took in a trade of a C400 and did not check the sunroof.

He countered my offer with $16,800 with nearly 90K miles but CarFax is not specific.

Found a forum member who is making pano roof pieces although I'm not sure it's always the same problem.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 11-11-2023 at 07:22 PM.