What a couple of days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 09:19 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
What a couple of days

Preface:

I live up in Canada, had a couple Mercs in the past, moved to Amsterdam, am back now and just bought a 2017 C43 Sedan.

When I bought it, I noticed one of the intake bolts that hold the intake on wasn’t fully torqued so I mentioned it, the dealership I bought it off said they’d tighten it up, no worries. Never thought anything of it, didn’t even checked (dummy) that it was done, I figured, eh, it’s a dealership. (Not MB, but the dealership here in town that sells the MB’s that they have no space for on the lot for the CPO’s.)

Either way, all was fine on the test drives, took it out 5/6 time all was well.

They told me the TPMS needed to be reset and they would do it the next day, no issues.
I bought it, went to back into the driveway and the 360 view camera for the passenger side wasn’t working. Called them immediately, they said they’d get it fixed, as well as the light bulbs in the exterior handle lights.

A week went by, they took it to their garage,
gave it back at the end of the day, said “the TPMS may come back on, if so let us know and we will take it back and get a new sensor for you. The camera was on back order, so when that comes in, we will fix it for you, and there are no lights in the handles”

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. But either way I sent them a picture of the one light that DOES work in the handles, they apologized and said they would fix them when they fix the rest of the stuff.

The TPMS came back on the minute I got in the car.

The next day I get a notification in the cluster “check oil at next refueling”.
so I checked. The oil is BLACK. I was not impressed, also, it was VERY low.

I said okay, it is what it is.

I filled up the oil a bit, waiting on AMSoil shipment to get in to do the full change.

Lucked into a ModalWorks intake (LOVE it) and got a great deal on a RaceChip until I can bring the car to a dyno in a different province to get a nice tune (which may be a couple years).

So one night at 1am I go to put on the intake (I have VERY little time so 1am sacrificing some sleep was the best I could do).

the bolt I ask to be tightened is SNAPPED off.
so they tried to tighten it, and I guess it was seized, and they snapped it and said F it, we’ll just give it to him like that. I am surprised because with a bit of heat and a pair of vice grips it came out in 15-20 mins. At a shop not out in the snow I could’ve gotten it out in 3/4 mins tops.

I can only chalk it up to pure laziness and deceit.
At this point I am livid.

That’s when I notice a large costing of oil coming out of what looks to be one of the camshaft position sensors on the drivers side bank.

so I get the intake on and the RaceChip on (thankfully it came with bolts for the flange)

Finally, my tires comes in (Michelin X-Ice). I get them to put them on, I have a buddy who owns what used to be a GoTire but is now his own “change at your location” tire service. So they are changing the tires in the driveway when the guy knocks on the door and tells me the wheels all have cracks in them and the one that doesn’t is severely warped, so bad they can’t balance them properly without fixing them.

Now I am royally pissed off.

So I have the car going in this Thursday to have all the wheels fixed and refinished (get rid of some curb rash, etc from the last owner at the same time).

I get in the car to see how sticky the tires are, and I have no brakes, the brake fluid light comes on. I immediately think “okay this guy knocked a brake line”. But nope, looks like someone went through the trouble replacing the visible sections of the brake lines and leaving the rest, which happened to go at that time out of coincidence.

I usually buy CPO’s from MB and they come inspected and I know it’s at least decently reliable, a private sale I get inspected regardless if it comes with one before I buy it, but I figured if MB is sending their cars here to get sold that I would be safe with their inspection.

Never again.
Probably done by the same gentlemen that “tightened” that bolt. I am using the term gentlemen quite loosely here.

So now I have had the car for 4 weeks and I have:

-Non-functioning 360 dev cameras
-No TPMS
-No breaks
-No blind spot assist
-No handle lights
-3 cracked and one bent rim
-black oil
-An oil leak.

My question is:

what do you think is fair compensation(if any) from the dealer for this stuff where a lot of it was clearly either negligent or intentionally deceptive?

Also, anybody ever dealt with a leak there before?
Pics below. Maybe it’s not a leak, but it sure looks like one.

Last edited by Josh.A.Hussey; 12-10-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:10 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I mean it's pretty clear this car is not related to MB dealers. If it was a solid car, they wouldn't have had to sell it off to your shady dealer when they could fix EVERYTHING in house.
Shoulda had it inspected, i think they should fix it if its a newly sold car. They most likely won't give you any cash compensation.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonathan358:
C43 Fun Haver (12-11-2023), M Kompact (12-14-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:13 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Cliff notes?

Otherwise, my answer is either maybe or 16.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
Cliff notes?

Otherwise, my answer is either maybe or 16.
hahah.

bought the car a month ago
dealer said they would fix camera, handle lights, TPMS

Current moment I have:

no TPMS
no brakes
no 360 camera
An oil leak+very dirty oil
they cracked a bolt I asked them to tighten and lied about it
3 cracked and 1 bent rim.

do you think the dealer should pay for at least the rims to be fixed and refinished? ~CAD$800

yeah. That one was long winded.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jonathan358
I mean it's pretty clear this car is not related to MB dealers. If it was a solid car, they wouldn't have had to sell it off to your shady dealer when they could fix EVERYTHING in house.
Shoulda had it inspected, i think they should fix it if its a newly sold car. They most likely won't give you any cash compensation.
Mercedes salesmen told me they aren’t allowed to sell over than five years as CPO but they were trusted the other dealer, I have a decent relationship with the dealership here.

But yeah, I called them, they are going to pay for the rims. I bought a 3rd party factory match warranty that covers the brake lines thankfully and the oil leak.

I was just looking for what other people would expect in this situation.

I am pleased with the outcome so far and how the dealer handled/is handling it
Old 12-11-2023, 02:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 W205 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
Mercedes salesmen told me they aren’t allowed to sell over than five years as CPO but they were trusted the other dealer, I have a decent relationship with the dealership here.

But yeah, I called them, they are going to pay for the rims. I bought a 3rd party factory match warranty that covers the brake lines thankfully and the oil leak.

Cracked 19" amg wheels are a common problem along with the leaking cam cover. The rims are just too brittle for the run flat tires so you're better off running non run flats. The cam cover is sealed with silicone but some cars did not get enough silicone from factory. I have had 1 rim crack in 3 different spots but had to buy another one myself. I also had both cam covers leaking but they re applied silicone under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
OEM wheels are garbage from that era.

The leaking oil is a common issue.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:54 PM

Received 115 Likes on 100 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
First I have to say, Sorry for everything you have gone through.

Second, many dealerships purchase cars on trade or from wholesale sales where the car never was returned to MB for a trade but instead was sold to another dealership as a trade and then sold on auction.

I can see that this car looks like it was not really taken care of and you rushed to the sale because you became connected to the car, maybe on the price or something else. Instead of moving on to another car which would have been in better health. For me, the engine looks dirty and that tells me the owner or whoever owned it, never took care of the car. If that car had been to MB they would have replaced the bolt since they would have them in stock.

My worry here is, the brake line replacement which sounds like your car may have been in an accident but never reported and repaired. It's not normal for all 4 rims to crack or break since the OEM are pretty solid over aftermarket rims.

As for the oil leak in the Cam area, this is normal and something you can replace yourself if you choose to do it and same some money.

Also, no Mechanic should be working on a newer car with being a MB master tech.. I would be wary around anyone working on a German brand that never worked for MB. For even MB techs run into problems and need MB Germany for assistance.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
First I have to say, Sorry for everything you have gone through.

Second, many dealerships purchase cars on trade or from wholesale sales where the car never was returned to MB for a trade but instead was sold to another dealership as a trade and then sold on auction.

I can see that this car looks like it was not really taken care of and you rushed to the sale because you became connected to the car, maybe on the price or something else. Instead of moving on to another car which would have been in better health. For me, the engine looks dirty and that tells me the owner or whoever owned it, never took care of the car. If that car had been to MB they would have replaced the bolt since they would have them in stock.

My worry here is, the brake line replacement which sounds like your car may have been in an accident but never reported and repaired. It's not normal for all 4 rims to crack or break since the OEM are pretty solid over aftermarket rims.

As for the oil leak in the Cam area, this is normal and something you can replace yourself if you choose to do it and same some money.

Also, no Mechanic should be working on a newer car with being a MB master tech.. I would be wary around anyone working on a German brand that never worked for MB. For even MB techs run into problems and need MB Germany for assistance.
Thank you.

Believe it or not, for vehicles around here, the car is in pretty good condition.
we are an island and the temperature swings are very rapid. In June it can be a snowstorm one day with the roads covered in salt, and 30deg Celsius and sunny the next.

Many brands send their engineers here to do corrosion analysis. (I’m sure they do elsewhere as well, but I know that there was concern that parts were being swapped out with old ones here for Nissan at one point so they started sending people in to stamp parts to ensure they were not getting bad data)

but yes, all of these issues are being addressed either through the dealer I sold it to, or under warranty. So I am very pleased!
Old 12-14-2023, 10:32 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
hahah.

bought the car a month ago
dealer said they would fix camera, handle lights, TPMS

Current moment I have:

no TPMS
no brakes
no 360 camera
An oil leak+very dirty oil
they cracked a bolt I asked them to tighten and lied about it
3 cracked and 1 bent rim.

do you think the dealer should pay for at least the rims to be fixed and refinished? ~CAD$800

yeah. That one was long winded.
Sorry for being brief / impatient in my initial post. Sort of the post equivalent of a drunk dial - haha. Sucks you had all those things go wrong in such a short period of time.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:11 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe

Glad everything was taken care of. As far as the cracked rims, as others have mentioned, they are prone to cracking and bends. What are the chances that 3 are cracked and 1 bent just from the dealer. It might have slipped through their inspection when it was sold off as a CPO by the original owner.