Sponsored by:

Awe Switchpath Install/review/pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Awe Switchpath Install/review/pics

I wanted to start this thread to review the AWE Switchpath exhaust I installed on my car last week. I would have posted earlier but I have been enjoying driving the past few days. Its going to be a long post but since there is not much info on it I want to be thorough
This is my first Mercedes so once I picked the car up I did a lot of research on the available aftermarket parts. None of the manufacturers carried over from the audi world and there is not too many reviews for W205 parts. After reviewing the options and prices I decided that I would leave the exhaust stock for a now. I have the Perf option w/button. A few weeks later I noticed the AWE teaser thread and my mind was changed. I am not ready to commit to downpipes and dropping my engine so this is a perfect set up for me.
I had the AWE catback on my s4 for 3 years before I sold it for this car. It was incredible how without downpipes it could change the sound of a SC v6 so much. After bringing that car back to stock before the trade it I realized what a huge change it made to the driving experience.
So I contacted AWE and Eutotech and let them know to put me on the list as soon as production models are ready to go! Since I had the Performance exhaust My car already had the exhaust button and the valve motors. This was a huge point for me since everything stays the same. All the modes open and close the valves like they used to it just sounds 1000 times better!
Since I have been dealing with ET for years they allowed me to hang out in the shop while the install was done. I grabbed some pictures which I have attached below. As you can see by the pics the AWE is a lot less bulky but larger diameter. Also they send the trademark lollipop with the exhaust for you to enjoy during the install (for some reason I always get sour apple). Coming from a manufacturing background (metal fab family for 100+ years) I appreciate a good weld. Also the details such as the mounting brackets with the AWEE logo are a nice touch. Unfortunately you don’t see the large one unless you are on a lift or somehow manage to flip your car upside down. The rear one you can actually see from the rear if you crouch down.
The install went smooth. All parts were included and all the pipes lined up with no trouble at all. There are 3 motors for the valves. Each has one clip for the electric and 4 screws. Once the stock exhaust comes off you remove the motors and connect to the new exhaust. No cutting, splicing, or modifying needed. I could swap back tomorrow and you would never even know it was on. With the valve motors changed over the new exhaust bolts right back up. A few adjustments got everything lined up and it was ready to be fired up.
The sound is incredible. everyone that has heard it has complimented the sound.
Best thing is that with the lifetime warranty and the way these hold up when I decide to move on to a new car I can sell it with little difficulty.
I would think the remote version would be a great option for people that did not get the per exhaust option and want a little more growl from the car without the hassle of downpipes.

I cannot upload videos from my hotel. so you can see a few clips on my IG for now.
https://www.instagram.com/bgm130/

all the parts ready for the install.

The front valve

The mounting bracket(details) along with the sour apple lollipop haha

Valve OPEN

Old vs new.

Halfway done.

right before the final alignment. this is the part you can see without flipping the car over.

Last edited by bgm130; 04-27-2016 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cylinder Head (02-26-2021)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Thanks for sharing!

I'm also quite hesitant about dropping my engine.... This is great, look forward to the video and hearing it.

Hopefully it will be available in Australia !
Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S 4MATIC
Nice! Now people can see personal reviews from my track edition exhaust to your switch path and help them make a decision. I agree with what you said about AWE their products are top notch!
The following users liked this post:
bgm130 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLE53; 2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus
The sound the stock performance exhaust makes for the first 30 seconds after a cold start is what I'd like it to sound like always. I think godrealm06 said in his post that he thought that the track edition exhaust sounded that good or better. bgm130 - curious to hear what you think - do you agree? Also, what was the cost to install?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
I'm glad you like it. I just ordered a switch path exhaust and a track edition exhaust for stock as I will try and always keep one in stock for you SoCal guys.

We are in the Los Angeles area and we also have a dyno with a wind tunnel so we can do real world testing and get some before and after figures for you on your car.

Feel free to stop by our shop anytime, our doors are always open for you guys.

Last edited by Staff@WORLD; 04-29-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM

2016 C63S
here are a couple videos I grabbed before leaving for vacation. same as IG but not sure if everyone can see those.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by jeremyf0923
The sound the stock performance exhaust makes for the first 30 seconds after a cold start is what I'd like it to sound like always. I think godrealm06 said in his post that he thought that the track edition exhaust sounded that good or better. bgm130 - curious to hear what you think - do you agree? Also, what was the cost to install?
Jeremy, I would say that is what it sounds like with the valves closed. with the larger diameter piping you are getting a deeper sound all the time. and from what I saw looking at the inside of the rear muffler when the valves are open you are basically getting the straight pipe. when the valves are closed it forces the exhaust back through the muffler and through the smaller assuming baffled pipe. when it is open its a straight shot out the large pipe.

cost for this was 3 hours labor. I am sure the track would be less since you don't have to worry about swapping the motors over, also since its only one outlet per side less to get lined up.