C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when you meet an M3, IS F, or RS4 on the road?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Getting another driver to "play" is not indicative of street racing? What are you planning on doing with them? Going to dinner and making out? come on, we both know that you plan to engage them in a contest of acceleration. Reading between the lines in this case is not difficult.

I of course have many life lessons to learn. But I have already learned an important one, that some here have not. Street racing should not be engaged in.

I'm not sure why you think I should be humble, as this post as nothing to do with bragging or anything of the sort.

If I need humility, perhaps you need maturity and self control? Then again, what do I know right? I'm only 25.

I think Hans said it well enough. No one here is talking about street racing. Driving the car in a more spirited manner, in my opinion, does not constitute street racing. When most of us here refer to street racing, we're probably talking about weaving in and out of traffic, dodging slower vehicles, not giving a damn about blind spots and whether we're being a danger to unwitting and innocent bystanders. The sports sedans we're talking about are meant to be driven in a sporting manner. So if a friendly toot of the horn results in the other driver responding by a nudge on the accelerator and you're telling us this is not permitted, I don't know why we buy these cars in the first place.

Frankly, I doubt anyone would believe that you have never driven your car(s) in a sporty way, so it's simply ridiculous that you feel entitled to be lecturing others, especially those who are probably more experienced drivers than you are.

By the way, my reference to your obvious need for lessons in humility stems from your irrelevant pointing out of the fact that your Mustang could easily humble a stock C63. Clearly, you feel the need to prove a point, much more so than anyone here should be accused of.

In any case, I'll accept that you're entitled to your opinion. The fact that no one agrees with you is beyond my control though. *shrugs*
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM

'09 C63 ///AMG
I usually drive right next to the car and pace them for a few seconds and see if they want to run....
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
Cool Answer to your query.

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I'm just curious...what do other C63 drivers do when they by chance come across its direct rivals out in the real world. Do you rev it hard and blow by them? Do you slow down to get a better look (and let others get a better look as well)? Or do you just pretend it's no big deal and go on your merry way?

I tend to slow down a bit to see what the driver looks like. If the driver looks a bit high on him/herself, I might rev my car a little to announce that I'm there, and see if they take note. If it's someone who seems preoccupied with things other than his/her own car, I won't bother them (I'm often thinking about work-related matters when I'm at the wheel too, so I know what it's like).

Since these four cars aren't exactly at every street corner, I always feel it's a bit of a special occasion when I do find one out in the wild. Thoughts, anyone?

(P.S. Feel free to also include other AMGs, M5s, CTS-Vs, and other such cars in this discussion.)
So, what do you do when you meet one of those cars?

You show them your tail lights once the smoke settles!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Sebring, when I go up there next month, allow me to drive your S4 and we can give eachother "looks."
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I once tried to play with a bike in the miata, needless to say it was unfair because the bike almost has as much horsepower than me.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM

09 C63 steel grey
I tend to downshift more than mash throttle to try and get someones attention. Never really had anyone respond in any way though. Lots of women and old folks in my area that don't seem to really appreciate what they're driving.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Originally Posted by tyanger
I tend to downshift more than mash throttle to try and get someones attention. Never really had anyone respond in any way though. Lots of women and old folks in my area that don't seem to really appreciate what they're driving.
Maybe their Alzheimer's disease is picking up and forgot you wanted a reponse as soon as they looked back on the road.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
I think it's pretty simple Oliver. None of us defines what we're doing as "Street racing." That is up to the LEO and courts to decide. You're looking at the C63 forum through the goggles of a 25 year old driving an S-class. If you want to psychoanalyze, pigeon-hole and preach to us, then.... you've left yourself wide open.....
A contest of acceleration (even for a brief gear or two) is street racing to me. As little as that can get your car impounded and sold at auction in certain states.

If I've left myself wide open, fill me in. I'm simply not sure what my driving an S-class, or my age for that matter, have anything to do with my stance on a dangerous activity, but I'd surely like to be enlightened.

I think Hans said it well enough. No one here is talking about street racing. Driving the car in a more spirited manner, in my opinion, does not constitute street racing. When most of us here refer to street racing, we're probably talking about weaving in and out of traffic, dodging slower vehicles, not giving a damn about blind spots and whether we're being a danger to unwitting and innocent bystanders. The sports sedans we're talking about are meant to be driven in a sporting manner. So if a friendly toot of the horn results in the other driver responding by a nudge on the accelerator and you're telling us this is not permitted, I don't know why we buy these cars in the first place.

Frankly, I doubt anyone would believe that you have never driven your car(s) in a sporty way, so it's simply ridiculous that you feel entitled to be lecturing others, especially those who are probably more experienced drivers than you are.

By the way, my reference to your obvious need for lessons in humility stems from your irrelevant pointing out of the fact that your Mustang could easily humble a stock C63. Clearly, you feel the need to prove a point, much more so than anyone here should be accused of.
But I would suspect that if you had a C63, you'd be hard pressed not to let the hooligan in you reveal itself from time to time.
Semantics my friend. Whether you call it "driving sporty" or "street racing", its still silly, dangerous, and could land you without a license or a car. We all know that when you engage in competition, the drive to win can make you do some stupid stuff, and there are enough AMG videos on youtube to show me that buyers of these vehicles are not exempt. While you personally may not resort to weaving, and generally driving like a jackass, doesn't mean that you aren't endangering others. Two vehicles accelerating at a fast rate is simply dangerous. Of course there are times when its safer than others, but I doubt much thought is given to that when you see an IS-F you can't wait to beat.

I don't know why you bought the car, but if i were to buy one, it would be for engaging, and yes, sporty driving, either on the track, or on isolated mountain roads. While I, like many others, have often engaged in hard acceleration on on-ramps, I make it a point not to do it with other cars around, or with another 3800lb object 3 feet away doing the same thing. One false move with a powerful car and all that remains are the tears of your relatives and a few pieces of scrap metal. I've seen it happen more times than I care to.

I don't care if its michael schumacher or a 17 year old in the car, racing on the street or "sporty driving" as you call it greatly increases the chance of an accident. Because, while Mikey may be the best and most experienced driver on the planet, the 92 year old woman that doesn't expect two cars zipping by her at 100+ may come into your lane at 55mph. Then what? All the experience in the world isn't going to save you.

Finally, if you note the other post of yours I quoted, you referenced that if I owned a C63, I would somehow be consumed by its immense power or something, and not be able to resist the ability to "let the hooligan out". My point in referencing the cobra's accelerative abilities was simply to inform you that even though I have a far more powerful car than a stock or even heavily modified C63, I don't have any problems controlling myself at all times. Perhaps you get used to it after a number of years. I'm not sure.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
A contest of acceleration (even for a brief gear or two) is street racing to me. As little as that can get your car impounded and sold at auction in certain states.

If I've left myself wide open, fill me in. I'm simply not sure what my driving an S-class, or my age for that matter, have anything to do with my stance on a dangerous activity, but I'd surely like to be enlightened.

Semantics my friend. Whether you call it "driving sporty" or "street racing", its still silly, dangerous, and could land you without a license or a car. We all know that when you engage in competition, the drive to win can make you do some stupid stuff, and there are enough AMG videos on youtube to show me that buyers of these vehicles are not exempt. While you personally may not resort to weaving, and generally driving like a jackass, doesn't mean that you aren't endangering others. Two vehicles accelerating at a fast rate is simply dangerous. Of course there are times when its safer than others, but I doubt much thought is given to that when you see an IS-F you can't wait to beat.

I don't know why you bought the car, but if i were to buy one, it would be for engaging, and yes, sporty driving, either on the track, or on isolated mountain roads. While I, like many others, have often engaged in hard acceleration on on-ramps, I make it a point not to do it with other cars around, or with another 3800lb object 3 feet away doing the same thing. One false move with a powerful car and all that remains are the tears of your relatives and a few pieces of scrap metal. I've seen it happen more times than I care to.

I don't care if its michael schumacher or a 17 year old in the car, racing on the street or "sporty driving" as you call it greatly increases the chance of an accident. Because, while Mikey may be the best and most experienced driver on the planet, the 92 year old woman that doesn't expect two cars zipping by her at 100+ may come into your lane at 55mph. Then what? All the experience in the world isn't going to save you.

Finally, if you note the other post of yours I quoted, you referenced that if I owned a C63, I would somehow be consumed by its immense power or something, and not be able to resist the ability to "let the hooligan out". My point in referencing the cobra's accelerative abilities was simply to inform you that even though I have a far more powerful car than a stock or even heavily modified C63, I don't have any problems controlling myself at all times. Perhaps you get used to it after a number of years. I'm not sure.
Can some one just say "You are right and I think we should learn from your wise knowledge"...

So he can leave this thread with a big smile?!

JK man, every people has their own perspective of enjoying cars and "safe" stuff. Doing 40-100 in empty straight highway is not safe, but it's not that dangerous either...that's my $ .63

Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM

2009 C63 K1
Quick question Oliverk. Do you peruse all other performance car forums and offer your sage wisdom and advice? I am sure that they all appreciate it as we do. Your comments have no impact on anyone here who reads them, so why bother? I guess you have a lot of time on your hands. Probably had to work hard for your S class and mustang...lol.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8

Well that's wonderful, Oliver. I'm really proud of you for having the ability to refrain from having any fun whatsoever with the cars that you own.

Now that you've had your say, can you please get off your soapbox and let us adults carry on with our conversation?

Thanks for visiting.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Sincity
Hey Sebring, when I go up there next month, allow me to drive your S4 and we can give eachother "looks."
I hope it's not those sultry Kathleen Turner sort of looks, though.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Oliverk, are you an officer of the law, I think you should be the spokesperson for that orginization "Mothers against Speeders", while you are at, you should offer your services to other "preacher" type services.....like stated before, no one here or any other place is going to listen and practice what you preach, all you are doing is ruffling a few feathers here. I think you should go out for nice lofty, comfy and lazy drive in that yacht, the Sclass, the same car my 90yr old neighbour turltes around in.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by yaymitch
Quick question Oliverk. Do you peruse all other performance car forums and offer your sage wisdom and advice? I am sure that they all appreciate it as we do. Your comments have no impact on anyone here who reads them, so why bother? I guess you have a lot of time on your hands. Probably had to work hard for your S class and mustang...lol.
Sure do. I'm all for people enjoying their sports car in a safe fashion (namely on the track), and I try to convince people that street racing is not a good way to go.

Of course I had to work hard for my s-class and my mustang. That said, I work hard because of my work ethic, not the need to purchase two low prices vehicles. Not sure where you are going with that?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by tyanger
There was a young chap in an RS4 that was following me over the bridge near my office a few weeks ago, when I stopped at the red light, he passed me slowly and prodded his throttle a little to say hello. At the next light, I rolled down the window and we exchanged a few pleasantries about each other's car. It's like there's a sort of unspoken level of respect for other owners of these cars, which is great, in my opinion.

It's a fun club to belong to.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Well that's wonderful, Oliver. I'm really proud of you for having the ability to refrain from having any fun whatsoever with the cars that you own.

Now that you've had your say, can you please get off your soapbox and let us adults carry on with our conversation?

Thanks for visiting.
Ah, now we are getting somewhere.

You would think that someone who owned a number of fine audis would understand that nailing the gas in a straight line is possibly the least amount of fun you could have in a vehicle. Take that sedan of yours around some corners and you might realize that going WOT in a straightline in a low 12 second car is snooze inducing.

If I could find some adults in here, I wouldn't need to be on the soapbox in the first place.

Thanks for making my visit enjoyable...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Oliverk, are you an officer of the law, I think you should be the spokesperson for that orginization "Mothers against Speeders", while you are at, you should offer your services to other "preacher" type services.....like stated before, no one here or any other place is going to listen and practice what you preach, all you are doing is ruffling a few feathers here. I think you should go out for nice lofty, comfy and lazy drive in that yacht, the Sclass, the same car my 90yr old neighbour turltes around in.
1. nope, not an LEO
2. Good idea about the Mothers against street racers organization. I'll look into it. Thanks!
3. I've ruffled them many a time, and its actually an enjoyable way to pass the time.
4. Wow, your 90 year old neighbor has some great taste. What can I say, I love my yacht and enjoy being comfortable. My other car is also perfect for when I'm not in the mood to surround myself with luxury. Its great! Tell your neighbor to swing by the 220 forum, we are having a group buy on blue blockers!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I'm new but I can't help to post this... LOL

Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. nope, not an LEO
2. Good idea about the Mothers against street racers organization. I'll look into it. Thanks!
3. I've ruffled them many a time, and its actually an enjoyable way to pass the time.
4. Wow, your 90 year old neighbor has some great taste. What can I say, I love my yacht and enjoy being comfortable. My other car is also perfect for when I'm not in the mood to surround myself with luxury. Its great! Tell your neighbor to swing by the 220 forum, we are having a group buy on blue blockers!
You made me laugh, good on you.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by arctichaze
I'm new but I can't help to post this... LOL

ROFL

I'm tempted to say something like, "Oliver, I don't recommend needle drugs, but you're one dope worth shooting."

But that would be juvenile, so I'll refrain.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
1. nope, not an LEO
Then you're a Pisces?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM

STi
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Oliverk, are you an officer of the law, I think you should be the spokesperson for that orginization "Mothers against Speeders", .
You mean an officer of the law doesn't speed?
The ones I know do it all the time.

It' nice to hear some of you are fun out there in your C63s. We Ontarians (Nick, Barry, others...) can't do this anymore without paying big for this activities. The "Street Racing Law" get me thinking twice about stretching the legs in my STi. Fines are $2k to $10k that includes, impounding your car for one week, storage, towing fees.
It is very depressing to know that you can't go 50 km/h (31mph) over posted speed limit. It sure takes some fun away.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Oliverk, I really don't understand what you expect to accomplish from this pointless banter. What you are preaching will fall on deaf ears. If you really want to have an effect, the next time you see a C63 driving recklessly on the streets call the police. I'm fairly certain no one here is condoning reckless driving, and you sure aren't in a position to judge and condemn based on the evidence in this thread. I don't doubt there are some drivers on this board who do drive dangerously, but you and I can't be responsible for their actions...just worry about your own. I for one know I've maintained a clean driving record, taken high performance driving classes, and when I REALLY want to push the car I do take it to the track.

If a soccer mom pulls up next to me in the van at the light and decides to floor it to beat me at the merge, is she engaging me in a street race? Some cars are built to accelerate faster than others, and from time to time when I consider the conditions to be safe, I like to remind myself why I bought the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by bluert
You mean an officer of the law doesn't speed?
The ones I know do it all the time.

It' nice to hear some of you are fun out there in your C63s. We Ontarians (Nick, Barry, others...) can't do this anymore without paying big for this activities. The "Street Racing Law" get me thinking twice about stretching the legs in my STi. Fines are up to $10k Canadians, impounding your car for one week, storage, towing fees will all be coming out of the speeder's pockets.
It is very depressing to know that you can't go 50 km/h (31mph) over posted speed limit. It sure takes some fun away.
I guess it depends on what everyone means when they say they're "having fun" with their car. Clearly, not everyone is talking the same language here.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bluert, your right, all ways on the lookout for the cops. Thats why for the highway drives I have a radar detector, I have had quite a few over the years, my first one was back in 1988 I think, but they have saved me many many times. The laws here in Ontario are brutal, where are you in Ontario?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you meet an M3, IS F, or RS4 on the road?