C63,ML 350,S60 2.5t and E350
this mhp tranny tunes sparks my interest
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Siman
Prepare to drop $5k and hope you are not one of his customers that comes back telling horror stories.

They seem to be able to get the C63s...but somehow cannot get the other 63 series cars or older 55 series cars.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M156 and LS7
DSG in VW GTI/GLI has the same problem as 7G in our C63, they are okey and willing to upshift, but they are bit hesitate/slow to downshift, especially your don't lift the throttle and try to dwnshift at the same time

Originally Posted by C63newdude
No it wouldn't. What technical advantages do you think a SMG has over the AMG auto? Keep in mind I have VW GLI with DSG(first car manufacturer in the world to incorporate the dual clutch transmission, fastest engaging as well. All other manufacturers made nothing but copycats and they were too late into the technology) and despite all that the AMG shift smoother than my VW.

It is all about what you like, I personally love smooth sily shifts but if you like the harshness of the SMG the the M5 is your car.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 PM

M156 and LS7
C mode and S mode make little difference in daily driving IMO, but when you racing or on track the car, S mode dose give you the optimal shift everytime.
One thing to share, one time I was laping on Mosport, one of the American Le Mans Series track in Canada, after 7-8 hot laps in manual mode, my tranny was upset, then it went to limp mode(stay in S mode), 10 mins later, it came back, everything was alrite

Dont u feel like your not involved as much when you use sport mode on the car ? Imo the paddle shifter are really to slow my m3's smg shifts where so quick compared to that but the amg has ton of power i guess there is trade off's
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I have driven both C63 & the current M5 & both are great cars and couldn't be further apart in a comparison.

The C63 is more usable with endless power and the steering feel is right up there with the M5. In the lower gears, the C63 felt faster and likely is. Also, the mid range torque is better in the C63. These are qualities that are beneficial in daily driving.

The M5 rev's higher and is crazy fun when you are giving it all in the highest/firmest setting in all it's adjustable parameters. Over 100mph the car will pull with a noise that makes you feel like it is going to suck it's own front bumper in. All qualities that are not usable in a daily basis. Also, the SMG is annoying and lurchy is stop and go traffic.

IMHO if you are looking for a car that has a lot of driver involvement and are not happy with the C63 and have the budget to get a M5, Get a 997s (granted you don't need a 4 door) You have a choice of manual and PDK, both of which are far superior in daily use to the M5's SMG.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM

2007 SRT8 Charger, 09' C63
I'm coming from a SRT8 Charger which was a 5 speed Auto, So the C63 feels greaaaaaaaat.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM

2009 C63 K1
I am wondering why you did not do test drives of each car you were considering and do a more thorough evaluation before you bought the C63. That being said, I still think you have the better car. The current M5 will be replaced soon and then you would have remorse when the new one comes out. Plus you saved $20k buying the Merc.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Just buy an M5 as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Just spend 2k on a tune and no "SMG" ///M will touch you on the street.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
double clutching implies that you have a clutch...which you don't. You have a torque converter in your sissy stick.[/quote]

the new m3 has a double clutch transmission instead of their old smg transmission. its not manual, its called dct
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Z99
Off topic, but I see you live in Pittsburgh. Have you ever tracked your car at Beaver Run?
Hey. Hope, but I will this October during the open track day!!! Will I see u there?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Chris420

the new m3 has a double clutch transmission instead of their old smg transmission. its not manual, its called dct
your point?

The individual's vehicle I was referencing has a C63, which has a standard automatic with a torque converter.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Hey. Hope, but I will this October during the open track day!!! Will I see u there?
I hope you are talking about their "Flat Out day". I am doing 9/25 and hope to do 10/11 date as well. I can't do the 10/25 date. Signed up for Bertil Roos at NJ Motorsports Park on the 25th. Which day in Oct are you doing? Two C63s would be awesome. The car is just awesome on that track.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM

C63 AMG
I have driven the m5 extensively and i can tell you it is old school already. The transmission is jerky and unbearable for a sedan and the engine lacks torque for driving around town. The interior is still nice though but just a little bit tight for such a big car and after owning the C63 i don't like M interior's anymore they are just a little bit cold if you know what i mean.

The M5 is still good fun when you start to push it but no where as sporty and comfortable as a C63. Nevermind that with some tunes the C63 will walk away from a m5 on the straight as well.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by MikeS54
I have driven the m5 extensively and i can tell you it is old school already. The transmission is jerky and unbearable for a sedan and the engine lacks torque for driving around town. The interior is still nice though but just a little bit tight for such a big car and after owning the C63 i don't like M interior's anymore they are just a little bit cold if you know what i mean.

The M5 is still good fun when you start to push it but no where as sporty and comfortable as a C63. Nevermind that with some tunes the C63 will walk away from a m5 on the straight as well.
I cross shopped the M5 and the E63. And that's exactly why I chose the E63.
(fwiw, I personally see the C63=M3 and the E63=M5 as choices.)

It's an easier car to live with on a daily basis. The torque is what you want on the street. The M5 has a great motor (I like NA motors) but you have to get into high rpms all the time to enjoy the power.

The M5 is not as civilized. It's a great car, don't get me wrong. Even MB hating Top Gear's Clarkson says the E63 (W211) is a better bet over the M5 (E60) for that very reason.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
I'll chime in...
Having driven an SMG for the past 5 years, it is definitely more involving. You should NEVER drive it in the "auto" mode, too jerky and you don't know when it will shift.
You have to pay attention to the tach, choose the appropriate gear, etc. Like a stick without the clutch. Very involving experience.
For those who don't want that level of involvement, the evolution of the automatic tranny is rather amazing. It offers lightning shifts, smooth transitions between gears. To the point that the DCT/PDK will be rendered obsolete.
The benefits of the "double-clutched" systems are seamlessly smooth shifts that are very quick (just like an automatic). The disadvantages of the DCT/PDK systems are that they weigh a ton, and have issues with handling high horsepower.
As a matter of fact, BMW and Porsche both came out with a memo that they will be ABANDONING the double-clutched systems on their high horsepower cars, they consider it a niche item (will reference if requested), and it will NOT be offered in the next generation M5.
The M5 is a very satisfying drive. There is nothing like a V10 screaming at 8000 rpm! No regrets getting the M5, one of the best cars I have driven, period.
Also, I never understood the Modded vs Stock car comparison. It is useless. Mod the C63 and walk away from the M5...well, mod the M5 and walk away from the C63...
They really are not in the same class of cars.
Personally, I plan on getting the 2010 E63 with the MCT tranny and upgraded suspension.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by Z99
My friend has an M5 with SMG. He says the transmission is very jerky in auto mode. After one of our track sessions he had to have the clutch replaced. I realize track capability does not tell the entire story. But with Dinan software and exhaust, the head instructor was only able to pull off a 1.102 lap time in the car. I have K2 and no PP suspension (yet). I was doing consistent laps right around 1.09. My fastest was 1.089 and slowest was 1.093. Big difference considering I have no where near the driving capability of the instructor. M5 is much heavier and understeers lot more then C63. He was told by dealer that next M5 will have much better transmission.
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Don't speculate unless you driven both. I driven my friends 07 M-5 and it drives well and it sounds awesome but the shift engagement is so harsh that is not funny. It feels like when you drive a dogbox. My friend complains also about the poor gas mileage on his M-5 but I think the C63 is right there as well.

I just don't see what you don't like about the C63 AMG transmission, it shifts flawlessly and it can hold tons of torque.
Originally Posted by E63ory
I feel like im kinda regretting that i bought the c63 instead of an m5.

I go through this sometimes shortly after a big purchase...It will pass, trust me.
I just test drove the M5 for the first time last week. I would NEVER trade my E63, which certainly has an inferior transmission to the C63, with the M5. It is a pointless and ugly machine. I found the lack of torque to be the biggest disappointment, and the transmission is extremely jerky. The interior is not pleasing to the eye, as is the exterior (actually, non of the post Bangle cars do it for me). In contrast, my test drive of the PP C63 was unreal. Not in the same league, IMHO.
Originally Posted by MikeS54

This is definitely not the first I've heard about insanely jerky shifts when driving around especially at low speeds. Jeremy Clarkson himself said the same and many M5 owners see it as an annoyance based on what I've read on other boards. In comparision to the E63 there is no contest which car is easier to drive around town.

The M5 needs to be revved up to get into a usable power band. The E63 barely flexes it's muscles and breaks a sweat to keep up with traffic. It's quite a bit about preference, high revving, race sounding V10 or high torque, thunderous sounding V8. You can't escape that both cars feature 2 of the best engines to ever be made.

To the OP, get a Kleemann Stage 2 or atleast stage 1 and report back. If you're thinking you should of gotten rid of the C63, it should be compared to an M3. If you want the bigger space, perhaps the 2010 E63 w/ MCT could be a sufficient choice.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM

c63 amg
Smile get a manual but...

Dont u feel like your not involved as much when you use sport mode on the car ? Imo the paddle shifter are really to slow my m3's smg shifts where so quick compared to that but the amg has ton of power i guess there is trade off's
If you really want to feel involved get a manual. that's it.

I drive with my c63 to work every morning and I love the fact that I can put it in comfort mode and relax even if the traffic is bumper to bumper witch is often.

What kind of usage for your car?.

Also c63= 63 500 can$ M5= 106 900$ +
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
I will pick C63 instead of M5 any day since M5 does not have much torque as C63 in the low end. Also, M5 's SMG is jerky according to my friend who have driven one. If C63 is chipped and tuned properly, it can even give 997 GT2 a hard time on the track.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by shchow
I'll chime in...
Having driven an SMG for the past 5 years, it is definitely more involving. You should NEVER drive it in the "auto" mode, too jerky and you don't know when it will shift.
You have to pay attention to the tach, choose the appropriate gear, etc. Like a stick without the clutch. Very involving experience.
For those who don't want that level of involvement, the evolution of the automatic tranny is rather amazing. It offers lightning shifts, smooth transitions between gears. To the point that the DCT/PDK will be rendered obsolete.
The benefits of the "double-clutched" systems are seamlessly smooth shifts that are very quick (just like an automatic). The disadvantages of the DCT/PDK systems are that they weigh a ton, and have issues with handling high horsepower.
As a matter of fact, BMW and Porsche both came out with a memo that they will be ABANDONING the double-clutched systems on their high horsepower cars, they consider it a niche item (will reference if requested), and it will NOT be offered in the next generation M5.
The M5 is a very satisfying drive. There is nothing like a V10 screaming at 8000 rpm! No regrets getting the M5, one of the best cars I have driven, period.
Also, I never understood the Modded vs Stock car comparison. It is useless. Mod the C63 and walk away from the M5...well, mod the M5 and walk away from the C63...
They really are not in the same class of cars.
Personally, I plan on getting the 2010 E63 with the MCT tranny and upgraded suspension.
1. The "herky-jerky" SMG tranny just sux...period! I've driven it, and compared with either a good Auto tranny (like the BMW ZF-21 or the MB 7-tronic) or DCT, the SMG just flat-out smells of antiquated technology.

2. Everything I've read and heard is that BMW is dumping the SMG tranny in favor of the DCT tranny. Sure, BMW has a had a few issues with their double-clutch DCT tranny, but these things can certainly be worked out. The fact is their competitors (and then some) now all have good DCT's and BMW needs one to compete.

3. Whre did you see these "official" memos from BMW and Porsche stating they will be "abandoning their DCT tranny?" Please post this as many of us would like to see these supposed memos. Btw - Both BMW and Porsche have recently made their respective DCT/PDK trannies available on more of their models in '09 and '10.

4. What gave you the idea that a dual-clutch tranny cannot handle higher HP/TQ? Are you aware that the Nissan GT-R has a DCT tranny (and any issues they had with the '09 DCT tranny faiilures were related to how the LC operated in conjunction with turning the traction control completely off; this issue was of course fixed by a simple s/w change for '10)?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
There has always been an issue with reliability of the double-clutched system in high horsepowered/torqued vehicles. As you know the odd and even gears are serviced by their individual clutches. In the lesser powered cars, such as the VWs, it seemed to work quite well, and has been available for quite some time. It took the engineers quite some time to be able to adapt it to higher horsepowered cars, and is just becoming available over the last 1-2 years.
In so doing, it had to be "beefed" up significantly. Compare the weight of the standard manual M3 to the M3/DCT and you'll see how much the system weighs, sort of counter-intuitive from it's original intent, don't you think.
Anyway, here is the link from the M5board...
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...on-bmw-m5.html
Hope it works...

Last edited by shchow; 09-13-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by yuenchiu6
If C63 is chipped and tuned properly, it can even give 997 GT2 a hard time on the track.
I would LOVE to see some proof of this statement.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:06 AM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
SMG is out at BMW, DCT is in. I almost bought the M3 just to have the DCT. But take a look at the number of DCT related threads on M3Post. I'll wait until they get it right, maybe next car, in 6-years.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
G63, SLS, 812 GTS, 296 GTB, 599 GTB, 575M, 992 GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo S Cross Tourismo
Originally Posted by yuenchiu6
I will pick C63 instead of M5 any day since M5 does not have much torque as C63 in the low end. Also, M5 's SMG is jerky according to my friend who have driven one. If C63 is chipped and tuned properly, it can even give 997 GT2 a hard time on the track.

Would that be with Schumi driving the C63 and your little sister driving the 997 GT2??

Get your hand off it!!

C63 is a brilliant road rocket, however on the track it suffers from over and understeer.

Just watch the stig drive it on You Tube (Top Gear) V's the M3 - 5 seconds a lap faster......
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
G63, SLS, 812 GTS, 296 GTB, 599 GTB, 575M, 992 GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo S Cross Tourismo
Now back to the thread;

The new 5 comes out shortly and from early acconts it may actually be a good looking car this time.

It will have the DSG box and will therefore be a much better car....

So if you would have bought the old M5 you would be looking at a fair depreciation whack!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regrets