MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Race ported heads from MHP going on tomorrow!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/318934-race-ported-heads-mhp-going-tomorrow.html)

PetroC63 10-19-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dads C63 (Post 3770515)
Good Morning,
Thank you Larry at Macedo Motorsports for helping me this morning.
Here are the dyno numbers with better weather this morning in Florida. Finally got below 70 and the other factors were MUCH better. I am excited about the numbers and looking forward to new track times, especially with the new torque figures!! I know the dates and times are off on the dyno sheet so don't slam me about that. It also has the MHP tune in it and not the MKB. I already called Larry to see if he can correct them and give me new copies. If not, it was this morning, 10/19/2009 between 8:30 and 9:30 with the MHP tune. We let her cool down between runs. Time to go racing!!

Awesome numbers.:y

jturkel 10-19-2009 03:33 PM

Good Morning,
Here are the dyno numbers with better weather this morning in Florida. Finally got below 70 and the other factors were MUCH better. I am excited about the numbers and looking forward to new track times, especially with the new torque figures!! I know the dates and times are off on the dyno sheet so don't slam me about that. It also has the MHP tune in it and not the MKB. I already called Larry to see if he can correct them and give me new copies. If not, it was this morning, 10/19/2009 between 8:30 and 9:30 with the MHP tune. We let her cool down between runs. Time to go racing!!

nice power! what kind of gains (the Delta) did you see from this porting job?

mr-flyer 10-19-2009 04:02 PM

THROTTLE BODIES!! THROTTLE BODIES!! THROTTLE BODIES!! LET'S GET IT TO 500!!:zoom::X

Dads C63 10-19-2009 04:27 PM

Thanks guys,
I would estimate that the ported heads gained 20+ rwhp. The real gains will be with the cams combined with the heads.

I believe the larger throttle bodies will do nothing for this motor. We already have over 1400cfm with the stock throttle bodies for a 6.2L engine. I believe we would lose bottom end and gain nothing top end with the larger throttle bodies.

The Dodge Viper has an 8.0 to 8.4L V10 depending on the year with dual throttle bodies that are only 63mm. The after market world offers ported throttle bodies up to 70mm. If the car does not have cams, roller rockers, and heads it will lose power down low with the larger throttle bodies and gain VERY little. Trust me, I've been there, done that.

http://accufabracing.com/throttle_bodies.htm

The LS1 world offers a single throttle body of 90mm that will gain power on a largely modified motor. The old LT1 motors had the ASM aftermarket 1300cfm monster that only gained power on a HIGHLY modified motor.

I do not see how a larger throttle body on a stock C63 will gain anything. In fact I would think it will lose low end. On a highly modified motor I don't see how it would gain anything. If Kleeman wants to give me one to try then I'll try it. Otherwise I think it would offer too much flow, less velocity, and therefore hurt the overall performance and not help it. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Be safe racing!!

MRAMG1 10-19-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dads C63 (Post 3771052)
Thanks guys,
I would estimate that the ported heads gained 20+ rwhp. The real gains will be with the cams combined with the heads.

I believe the larger throttle bodies will do nothing for this motor. We already have over 1400cfm with the stock throttle bodies for a 6.2L engine. I believe we would lose bottom end and gain nothing top end with the larger throttle bodies. :y
The Dodge Viper has an 8.0 to 8.4L V10 depending on the year with dual throttle bodies that are only 63mm. The after market world offers ported throttle bodies up to 70mm. If the car does not have cams, roller rockers, and heads it will lose power down low with the larger throttle bodies and gain VERY little. Trust me, I've been there, done that.

The LS1 world offers a single throttle body of 90mm that will gain power on a largely modified motor. The old LT1 motors had the ASM aftermarket 1300cfm monster that only gained power on a HIGHLY modified motor.

I do not see how a larger throttle body on a stock C63 will gain anything. In fact I would think it will lose low end. On a highly modified motor I don't see how it would gain anything. If Kleeman wants to give me one to try then I'll try it. Otherwise I think it would offer too much flow, less velocity, and therefore hurt the overall performance and not help it. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Be safe racing!!

I'm with you on this one Dad:D

Unless you beef up the bottom end, and plan on 8000+ rpms, there is NO WAY you are running out of air:v:

I wish you the BEST at MIR, and the next mile:zoom:

PS: Your toy CERTAINLY looked better than the rentech car, IMHO

mr-flyer 10-19-2009 05:11 PM

Thanks guys,

I believe the larger throttle bodies will do nothing for this motor. We already have over 1400cfm with the stock throttle bodies for a 6.2L engine. I believe we would lose bottom end and gain nothing top end with the larger throttle bodies.

Be safe racing!!

I was only assuming it would help reach that magic 500 :nix: :smash:

jturkel 10-19-2009 05:56 PM

Thanks guys,

so are cams part of the modding plans for your car? :D

FormulaZR 10-19-2009 06:06 PM

100% correct. The LSx world now has larger throttle bodies than 90mm, but the point you made is still true. Back when I was still stock CI (5.7L) I had a ported 78mm throttle body on a stock LS6 intake; I swapped to a 90mm throttle body with a Fast 90 intake manifold and only saw +11 rwhp above 5900 rpm, in the lower rpm I saw -15 rwhp. Track testing it was slower in the quarter. I currently have a 6.3L LSx in the car, and "need" the flow of the 90/90 combo; but this is on a car with a fairly radical cam, extensively ported aftermarket heads, 1 7/8-1 3/4 stepped headers with 3" true dual exhaust w/ x-pipe. My point is I believe you are correct, you are not at the point where you could increase your average power by going with a larger throttle body.

However, maybe a little bit of hand porting on your factory TB could be useful.

tanktube67 10-19-2009 07:33 PM

Congrats! good numbers

nrgy 10-19-2009 10:10 PM

Really appreciate the feedback Dads C63. I'm not sure if you read Kleeman's latest reply, but he mentioned that their new throttle bodies aren't so much about increasing airflow, but making them more efficient on the inlet side. But even then, not sure if that would equate to 25-30hp.

"A new ECU tune won't be required with the throttles. What we're doing is reducing the pumping restriction on the inlet side of the engine, and the increase in airflow is relatively small. The ECU has the ability to go +/- 25% from it's base fuel map- the throttles don't provide anywhere near a 25% increase in airflow, so the ECU has plenty of room to adapt to the relatively modest increase in airflow."

I guess without doing extensive head work like you've done, what else do you think can be done to squeeze out another 20-30hp after ECU, LTs, and airbox/filter mods?

juicee63 10-19-2009 10:20 PM

Good Morning,

smooth

Sincity 10-19-2009 10:47 PM

I do not see how a larger throttle body on a stock C63 will gain anything.

I think Vadim stated the same thing before.

Dads C63 10-20-2009 08:46 AM

Cat back exhaust and cams are next. We will squeeze over 500rwhp out of this monster before we are done or at least thats my goal. Thanks for the kind words guys. Lets keep pushing the envelope and see what we can find.

Sincity 10-20-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dads C63 (Post 3772134)
We will squeeze over 500rwhp out of this monster before we are done or at least thats my goal. Lets keep pushing the envelope and see what we can find.

We'll keep on letting your wallet do the talking. :p: :bow:

Quadcammer 10-21-2009 07:49 AM

what sort of octane booster were you running, and what was the octane rating of the mixture?

Dads C63 10-21-2009 04:05 PM

Thats an incorrect statement on the dyno sheet. I don't run octane booster. I run a solid 100 octane unleaded race fuel when I am going to race or dyno. Otherwise I use 93 octane.

Quadcammer 10-21-2009 04:21 PM

I hope you have different tunes for both fuels as clearly timing requirements and the stoich a/f will need to be different.

thanks for the clarification

OutlawAMG 10-21-2009 11:23 PM

Maybe I missed it but do you have before and after flow bench numbers for the heads? @ 28"?

thanks

nrgy 10-29-2009 12:42 AM

How soon before cams go in, and what kinda increase are you expecting from those? Do you know if these would work with stock heads?

Oh, and when you hitting the track? If you have access to a Performance Box, I'd love to compare 60-130 times :D

Dads C63 10-29-2009 10:28 AM

NRGY,
I am working on a performance box so you can do some comparisons. Will let you know how it goes. What am I shooting for 60-130? What are some good numbers?

Don't know for sure about the cams yet but will advise when I can.

qship5 10-29-2009 11:02 AM

With your mods, I would hope to see a 60-130 time of high 7s or worst case very low 8s.

nrgy 10-29-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dads C63 (Post 3786532)
NRGY,
I am working on a performance box so you can do some comparisons. Will let you know how it goes. What am I shooting for 60-130? What are some good numbers?

Don't know for sure about the cams yet but will advise when I can.

As far as what you should expect for 60-130 times, hmm, I'm not sure if I'm as optimistic as Qship :D High 7's would definitely be awesome, but just comparing other people's numbers, I don't think that can be reached yet :nix:

Take a look at these 2 links and that will probably give you a better idea of where you stand.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...d-edition.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...mile-list.html

I'm going to try an make another run this weekend as I screwed up my last attempt, but if I get in the 9s I think I'll be happy for now.