MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Differential Service at 2,000 Miles ??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/319730-differential-service-2-000-miles.html)

xtyper 10-05-2009 11:39 AM

Differential Service at 2,000 Miles ???

I was at my dealer last week for a flat tire patch on my 09 C63 and the SA mentioned that I should get the differential fluid change while I was there since I was coming up on 2K miles. When I told him that I didn't have the Performance Package and that this shouldn't be necessary, he replied, "Oh no, the differential service is recommended on ALL 63 models at 2K miles, regardless of options."

Can someone please verify whether or not this service is really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Sincity 10-05-2009 11:45 AM

I had the same question till someone pointed out that I should re-read the manual. It says Performance Package should have the diff fluid changed.

Jae Duk 10-05-2009 01:51 PM

Yes your manual has good information...it's not only good for being a doorstop :smash:

sflgator 10-05-2009 02:00 PM

Sounds like either the OP's SA doesn't know ***** or he's just trying to take advantage of another "wealthy" MB driver to make extra $$ for the dealer OR both. :slap:

eagle_lex 10-05-2009 04:10 PM

my dealer said the same thing. the manual tells you only the PP needs the flush.

sflgator 10-05-2009 04:13 PM

It's an "upsell" for the misinformed and naive and/or nonchalant consumer.

AxelLopez 10-05-2009 06:34 PM

Thanks for telling me, I just set an appointment for next Wednesday. I'll cancel tomorrow and save some $$$

gstatus929 10-19-2010 12:02 AM

Neither naive or non-chalant, just an informed E63 driver looking for the proper maintenance of his toy. I will call the dealer tom and advise them not to do the service..... if they state it was completed i will refuse to pay for it.

Roswell 10-19-2010 12:22 AM

My stealership tried to pull this on me too... until I showed them my manual, then they said I was right. I wonder how many AMG owners w/o pp got raped before I pointed out to them? ... hehehe!

rory breaker 10-19-2010 07:56 AM

For the PP owners who do get this service done, be aware some dealerships do it for free, mine only charged $100 or so as I recall...others are charging $200+. Thieves.

PetroleumGuy 11-10-2010 09:38 PM

They tried to pull that on me today, but it didn't work thanks to this forum.

_AMG_ 11-11-2010 02:58 AM

Thats BS. You don't need to change your diff fluid at 2k miles.

Yuille36 11-11-2010 09:54 AM

I was told from an AMG Tech, that if your car doesn't have the Performance Package. Then your Differential Fluid does need change. This only applies to the Performance Package, so someone is telling you bum scoop, or their trying to profit from your lack of knowledge.

goatfarmer1970 11-11-2010 10:31 AM

While probably not required, it cannot be a bad idea to change diff fluid given the metal-on-metal contact that goes on inside a diff. I had my oil changed at 1200 miles just because it makes me feel good. If you look at it that way, the diff change at 2K may be an ok investment too.

OrientBlue3 11-11-2010 11:15 AM

I just had this done actually. I do have PP and it is required for PP cars. My sales rep told me it was free and then when I brought it in, service told me it was not. My sales rep stepped up and paid for it for his error. I thought it was the right thing to do. However, after hearing some dealerships are doing it for free, he probably deserves a few less kudos.

Faris63 11-12-2010 01:16 AM

When should I change the differential fluid ?

My 63 w/o PP is almost 45K miles and I didn't change the fluid since I bought it

PetroleumGuy 11-12-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by _AMG_ (Post 4346493)
Thats BS. You don't need to change your diff fluid at 2k miles.

Why some SA may be recomending to change the diff fluid on C63 without PP (I posted this on another thread):

I took my C63 by the MB dealer to have a turn signal fixed and they wanted to change the fluid in mine too, even though it only has 2500 miles and no LS differential.

I told him it didn't need it, and he pulled out a manual pointed to where it says: "Replace rear axle differential fluid (only C63 AMG, CLS 63 AMG, E 63 AMG, SL 63 AMG, with AMG Performance Package and SL AMG)"

I tried to argue and he said all of the C63's have the AMG performance package. I think he was thinking the AMG package is the performance package. My conclusion is that the guy wasn't trying to hose me, he was just ingnorant because they sell a bunch of C300's and no C63's. Whether it's dishonesty or ignorance, I don't want them to touch my car.

TheRoadMaster76 11-12-2010 05:10 PM

I had the differential fluid changed right when I hit the 2,000 mile mark; this was about a month ago. I don't have the performance package but my understanding when I read the maintenance booklet was that I had to change the differential fluid. When I went to the dealer the SA told me I didn't need it but he then went to his computer and said, never mind, I see it needs to be changed. Since I bought the pre-paid maintenance plan it didn't cost me anything.

I can see why many members on this board have different opinions; to me the maintenance manual is not worded properly. MB should make the maintenance manuals more clear and send a memo to all MB service departments so we don't get different answers.

Perhaps I am reading it all wrong :D but my understanding from reading the manual is that all AMG models listed below need the differential fluid changed regardless of what package you have. Does the word "with AMG Performance Package" apply to the SL 63 only or to the other models as well? If there is a grammar expert please chime in. :D

Quote from Maintenance Manual
"Replace rear axle differential fluid (only C 63 AMG, CLS 63 AMG, SL 63 AMG with AMG Performance Package and SL 65 AMG)"

MiamiAMG 02-23-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheRoadMaster76 (Post 4349297)
I had the differential fluid changed right when I hit the 2,000 mile mark; this was about a month ago. I don't have the performance package but my understanding when I read the maintenance booklet was that I had to change the differential fluid. When I went to the dealer the SA told me I didn't need it but he then went to his computer and said, never mind, I see it needs to be changed. Since I bought the pre-paid maintenance plan it didn't cost me anything.

I can see why many members on this board have different opinions; to me the maintenance manual is not worded properly. MB should make the maintenance manuals more clear and send a memo to all MB service departments so we don't get different answers.

Perhaps I am reading it all wrong :D but my understanding from reading the manual is that all AMG models listed below need the differential fluid changed regardless of what package you have. Does the word "with AMG Performance Package" apply to the SL 63 only or to the other models as well? If there is a grammar expert please chime in. :D

Quote from Maintenance Manual
"Replace rear axle differential fluid (only C 63 AMG, CLS 63 AMG, SL 63 AMG with AMG Performance Package and SL 65 AMG)"

I'd like to know this also. I took my car in yesterday & they told me i need to change the diff fluid. If it's only for PP models i'm going to have to tell them to refund my $200!

OrientBlue3 02-23-2011 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by OrientBlue3 (Post 4346893)
I just had this done actually. I do have PP and it is required for PP cars. My sales rep told me it was free and then when I brought it in, service told me it was not. My sales rep stepped up and paid for it for his error. I thought it was the right thing to do. However, after hearing some dealerships are doing it for free, he probably deserves a few less kudos.

Happened the same way to me. Should be free anyways.

Yuille36 02-23-2011 11:00 AM

The dealership prays on the uninformed AMG owner. That is why it pays to know more then your SA. They don't try that crap with me.

Kaiba 02-23-2011 11:02 AM

Had my car serviced by the dealer for the A0 ( 40k miles ).

They did the gearbox fluid change ( WHAT A CHANGE !! ) and asked me to come back for diff. fluid change. ( never done before ).

Still don't know if I should do it or not. ( A0 cost me 2k USD ... )

I'll check my EU manual this evening.

Yuille36 02-23-2011 11:18 AM

Boy did they see you coming .......knowldege is power!!

Roswell 02-23-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAMG (Post 4534991)
I'd like to know this also. I took my car in yesterday & they told me i need to change the diff fluid. If it's only for PP models i'm going to have to tell them to refund my $200!

You got raped! This has been discussed many times, if you dont have LSD, you dont need the flush. Good luck getting your refund now. :(

khmergod 02-23-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kaiba (Post 4535046)
Had my car serviced by the dealer for the A0 ( 40k miles ).

They did the gearbox fluid change ( WHAT A CHANGE !! ) and asked me to come back for diff. fluid change. ( never done before ).

Still don't know if I should do it or not. ( A0 cost me 2k USD ... )

I'll check my EU manual this evening.

Did the shifts feel faster?