Sponsored by:

Kleeman K1 -I just did it and WOW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
Kleeman K1 -I just did it and WOW

I just got my 09 C63 back yesterday from my dealer and they installed the Kleeman K1 for me, and so far all I can say is WOW... putting around town I dont really notice too much of a difference but once I tromp on it (which I did over and over again) it really is a beast who just woke up!!!! Above 4000 RPM it really screams and you can really feel the thrust difference. Here in rainy Seattle it was of course a little wet on the roads when I first got the car and even merging on the freeway heading home and romping on it at 50 MPH I broke the tires loose but later in the day it dried up a little and it was alot of FUN. Only put 50 miles on it so far so see how it goes here the next couple of hundred as the ECU gets settled in.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm still on the fence for either a K1 or LET.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Kjellster
I just got my 09 C63 back yesterday from my dealer and they installed the Kleeman K1 for me, and so far all I can say is WOW... putting around town I dont really notice too much of a difference but once I tromp on it (which I did over and over again) it really is a beast who just woke up!!!! Above 4000 RPM it really screams and you can really feel the thrust difference. Here in rainy Seattle it was of course a little wet on the roads when I first got the car and even merging on the freeway heading home and romping on it at 50 MPH I broke the tires loose but later in the day it dried up a little and it was alot of FUN. Only put 50 miles on it so far so see how it goes here the next couple of hundred as the ECU gets settled in.
This is what I'm thinking about, the K1. Although, if it's just a ECU swap, then do you need a dealer to do it for you? I live in Mt. Vernon and got my car from Lynnwood. Is that where you went? And if you don't mind, how much $$$ did the install set you back? I just got my oil changed and nearly passed out when I saw it was $110 for labor for nearly two hrs. of work.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Even Money
This is what I'm thinking about, the K1. Although, if it's just a ECU swap, then do you need a dealer to do it for you? I live in Mt. Vernon and got my car from Lynnwood. Is that where you went? And if you don't mind, how much $$$ did the install set you back? I just got my oil changed and nearly passed out when I saw it was $110 for labor for nearly two hrs. of work.
I haven't paid for service in years.

I guess I shoud thank my lucky stars that my best friend
works in the service department and my brother is a
salesman at the same dealership.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM

2014 CLS63 s-amg, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, ML350
I just got my car back from the shop a few days ago. Did the K1 among other stuff. Will post pics later in a different topic. Anyway about the K1. It is amazing! They say it gives 75 more HP for only 1500$ (Thats what I paid) and the way the car feel its just so much fun to drive! It was raining today and I was doing 50-60mph and stomped it on the highway and the tail came loose easy (Of course but just how easy it did it.. that power makes me happy). Its so much fun, the car feels like a real racecar, I just can´t wait to get this thing on the track. I just think I wont have time til efter the Winter
The car def feel A LOT more powerful than without the K1 and I recommend it for everyone who hasn´t got it!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We actually don't swap the ECU- each ECU is married to the VIN number of the car it came out of- it's not possible to take an ECU from one C63 and have it work in a difference C63. KLEEMANN, and most other tuners are flashing the ECU that your car was built with using a bench-top programming device. You can remove the ECU and send it straight to kleemann, or you can have your local authorized KLEEMANN agent do it for you, but either way, the ECU has to be sent to KLEEMANN for the upgrade. As long as the ECU gets to kleemann before noon mountain time, the ECU can be programmed and shipped back out the same day it's received. ECU removal instructions are available upon request- just shoot me an email- cory@kleemannusa.com. Lynnwood is more than capable of getting this done for you- just speak with Ian DeChenne in the service department.

Originally Posted by Even Money
Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Cory, my friends keep on asking me how many HP i have now. I understand it may vary a bit but (how much) if I had 451 and you claim a gain of 75hp is it correct to say I have around 525 or is it imposible to say without a test? The car feels so powerful I am very very happy!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM

BMW 335i, Ducati 996, Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Veho
Cory, my friends keep on asking me how many HP i have now. I understand it may vary a bit but (how much) if I had 451 and you claim a gain of 75hp is it correct to say I have around 525 or is it imposible to say without a test? The car feels so powerful I am very very happy!
An additional 75HP?? I thought most of the people who did this upgrade on the forum were showing no more than a 50HP increase after dyno runs. Where did 75HP come from?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 PM

I read it somewhere so thats why I´m asking Cory.. It might well be that I am mistaken, that its more like a gain of around 50-60hp but just interested to know what the number is.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Originally Posted by desmo996
An additional 75HP?? I thought most of the people who did this upgrade on the forum were showing no more than a 50HP increase after dyno runs. Where did 75HP come from?
Kleeman advertises 75hp to the crank...dyno tests are to the wheel so it will vary a little bit
Old 10-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jae Duk
Kleeman advertises 75hp to the crank...dyno tests are to the wheel so it will vary a little bit
Ok, that makes sense.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM

C63 AMG
I'm from the Seattle area, as well. Which dealership did you get this done at? Any mentioning about voiding the warranty? Congrats!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Congrats! I did mine back in the Summer and I just can't imagine going back to stock. It's so much fun...above 4000rpm of course!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Congrats! I did mine back in the Summer and I just can't imagine going back to stock. It's so much fun...above 4000rpm of course!
Did you Dyno the results of your K1 after?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
The ECU tune on these cars is so rewarding! It absolutely changes the car from a strong performer to an absolute beast. I drove a stock car before buying mine and although I've had a ECU tune on it since delivery, can attest to the difference it makes. Now I just need to decide between long tubes or the K2 & K3 packages to take it to the next level!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 AM

C63 AMG / B8 A4
Originally Posted by Cory @ Kleemann
We actually don't swap the ECU- each ECU is married to the VIN number of the car it came out of- it's not possible to take an ECU from one C63 and have it work in a difference C63. KLEEMANN, and most other tuners are flashing the ECU that your car was built with using a bench-top programming device. You can remove the ECU and send it straight to kleemann, or you can have your local authorized KLEEMANN agent do it for you, but either way, the ECU has to be sent to KLEEMANN for the upgrade. As long as the ECU gets to kleemann before noon mountain time, the ECU can be programmed and shipped back out the same day it's received. ECU removal instructions are available upon request- just shoot me an email- cory@kleemannusa.com. Lynnwood is more than capable of getting this done for you- just speak with Ian DeChenne in the service department.
mthis has a good youtube video of how to remove it. it's very simple
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Crankshaft HP gains are around 70 HP +/- a few, depending on the fuel octane we tune for. I routinely see gains of 45-55 HP at the rear wheels with the K1, again, dependent on fuel octane, ambient conditions, etc., at the crankshaft it's accurate to say your car is making somewhere in the range of 520-525.

Originally Posted by Veho
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM

No you can do the ECU upgrade yourself, I believe their is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to remove your ECU and then set it up with Cory at Kleeman and send it to him. I had mine done at Phil Smart downtown Seattle, but Lynnwood does it as well. I think you will like it
Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
No you can do the ECU upgrade yourself, I believe their is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to remove your ECU and then set it up with Cory at Kleeman and send it to him. I had mine done at Phil Smart downtown Seattle, but Lynnwood does it as well. I think you will like it
Thanks! The K1 is a great value. But let's say I get the K1 tune and a few months later I have custom LT headers, exhaust and intake is it possible for someone to custom tune the car at that point?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

I believe Cory told me once that you can resend your ECU to him again and for a minimal fee he can reflash your ECU for the extra mods you have done, but I believe thats if you get the extra mods from Kleeman but you would have to ask Cory about that to make sure. Myself I am going to wait a bit and then do either the K2 or the K3 next, since I have the K1 now and am pretty impressed with Kleemans work.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Cory,

Seeing as you deal with customers all over the country and since your company has somewhat of a relationship or at least rapport with Mercedes would Kleemann have a list of mod friendly MB dealers in the US?

I've heard that some dealerships welcome mods done by companies who have a history of working on Mercedes cars like Kleemann and RENNtech.

It seems like the risk of voiding our warranties (especially when our cars are new) is what's keeping a lot of potential customers on the sidelines. If a dealer was to approve certain mods from select companies that would be a big relief.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Cory, two more questions:

1.) Does the Kleeman tune ONLY effect the car at Wide Open Throttle?

2.) If the ECU is VIN specific, how is it that people say you can buy a spare ECU and run multiple tunes. (Didn't DadsC63 do this?)

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

To answer your questions:

1. That's kind of a difficult question to answer- an engine will only make peak HP at WOT, tuned or not, and no one ever tests a car on a dyno at part throttle, unless they're mapping a specific load range on a load-cell dyno (in which case HP/TQ numbers are completely irrelevant). You should feel an increase in power over stock at any given throttle position, but in terms of peak HP, this can only be measured at WOT, thus, this is where you will feel the largest gain. An engine's peak HP is almost always made at, or just before redline.

2. Because these people are buying brand new ECU's from the dealer (not used ones from a junk yard)- the dealer then performs a coding procedure which marries the NEW ECU to the VIN of the car. This coding can only be done by your MB dealer, as the coding is 100% automated and takes place over a secure internet server using the factory DAS machine which communicates directly with the Mercedes-Benz server in Germany. You cannot simply buy a used ECU from a junkyard and expect it to work in your car, it has to be purchased new from the dealer, and must be VIN coded before any tuning is done to it.

Hope that answers your questions!

Originally Posted by clktoc63
Cory, two more questions:

1.) Does the Kleeman tune ONLY effect the car at Wide Open Throttle?

2.) If the ECU is VIN specific, how is it that people say you can buy a spare ECU and run multiple tunes. (Didn't DadsC63 do this?)

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by dlbello
Did you Dyno the results of your K1 after?
Not yet. Not easy to find reliable/accessible places for dyno in Toronto. I'm working with a member of this forum to arrange something with a local tuner to compare dyno results of my K1 to different ECU upgrades. We'll see if we can make it work. I'll post whatever results I can get.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Happy, come to ottawa, lots of places around here for dyno testing. Next friday and saturday there is also a last tracking event at calabogie motor sports park, if you are interested?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleeman K1 -I just did it and WOW