C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

E10 Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
E10 Gas

I know our cars are supposed to be "certified" to work with 10% ethanol blend fuel but how long can E10 gas be left in the tank before it starts to affect performance? The other day I went to use my 4-cycle weed trimmer and it was sputtering and shutting off and acting all sorts of wacked out. I normally only fill the tank with enough fuel to be used for the trimming I'm gonna do, then burn off the rest before storing it but for some reason I left it almost full this time. 3 weeks later and now this. I emptied it and refilled with some fresh gas-ahol and no problems. My concern is that my C63 is not my daily driver and a tank of gas usually last me 2-3 weeks, depending on how heavy my right boot feels the days I do drive it . I don't want to run into similar problems like my weed eater. I haven't seen it so far but maybe it's because I usually top off at the half-tank level so I guess I always have at least 1/2 a tank of "fresh" fuel mixed in with the "stale" one. Or maybe its beacuse a weed eater fuel system is no where near as "sealed" as that in our cars. However, sometimes even burning off a half a tank takes a while, especially with winter right around the corner and the rainy weather we've had in Central TX lately. For this same reason, I avoid fueling at "out of the way" stations as I suspect they don't sell gas as fast as busy in-town stations and probably have stale gas in their holding tanks. Are any of you using any sort of fuel additive to combat the ethanol water absorbing properties on a regular basis or are having any issues with ethanol blended gas after it sits in the tank for a while?