C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my C63 to the track this weekend (Hyperfest)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Took my C63 to the track this weekend (Hyperfest)

Had a blast... but I suspect I may have slightly warped my rotors

Also.. it was 95+ out... temps were reading 255 and shifting started getting sloppy... needs additional cooling. (currently stock)

side note.. you would think you kill your car at the track.. but no, hours later, at a friends house in the pool, and another friend reversed into the front of my car....
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I always try to avoid super hot days at the track. Very hard on the discs and pads. The discs are already drilled so there isn't much you can do.

The only thing to prevent warped discs is to take a good cooling lap with very light braking to straighten out the discs as much as possible. You can also take an extra lap before hand, so calculate when is the last lap and take the one just before on the light side (when it comes to brakes).

sucks for your bumping!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM

2010 C63
brake rotors do not warp. the vibration is caused by pad material unevenly deposited on the rotor.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikekuriger
brake rotors do not warp. the vibration is caused by pad material unevenly deposited on the rotor.
I've warped some brembo disks before, actually a couple of times. I remember that once on a hot day, the rotors were red hot, like steel at a blacksmith shop, glowing red! The warp is sometimes very mild but it can happen when the disks get very very hot. An article said it was impossible to warp discs on public roads (for the general public), that's true. Unless you're at the track applying 100% braking power under intense heat, it could never happen. You also need extremely agressive pads to generate that much heat. I remember pads that had litterally desintegrated (Hawk HP +), I checked them out and only dust was left and bits of pad! I'm just saying anything can happen.

In this case its true that the discs are probably not be warped and just spotted, or the pads themselves are borderline done and might have broken in certain areas due to very intense heat. In this case a piece of pad can be stuck at the wrong place, creating a grinding noise with a little bit of vibration.

Bottom line u need to get it checked. In all cases, unless its the pads, there is not much you can do about it. Next time also try to park in neutral if you haven't done so to avoid any deposits of hot pads on a hot disk.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit harsh, its just that I am against the concept of "it can't happen". I've had a front passenger window litteraly explode in front of my eyes (while in stopped traffic, in a 1 lane highway access). All the experts said it was simply impossible and never happened in 50 years, that you'd need an impact. Unless sharp shooters were after me...

Last edited by chief63; 06-21-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM

E46 M3, '09 C63
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

This may help...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Exacc
Good read. This is what I meant, just a distortion on the disk's surface caused by very intense heat and friction. I don't have the correct word for it (my main language is french sorry) http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...dmaterial.html
Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Had a blast... but I suspect I may have slightly warped my rotors

Also.. it was 95+ out... temps were reading 255 and shifting started getting sloppy... needs additional cooling. (currently stock)

side note.. you would think you kill your car at the track.. but no, hours later, at a friends house in the pool, and another friend reversed into the front of my car....
Which Summit Point track did you run?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3
Its actually probably brake dust accumulated in the drilled areas. This is why most use slotted and not drilled for track days. Clean out the little holes and you'll probably be ok.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 238 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Sounds warped to me...
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM

E46 M3, '09 C63
Well, in my opinion, regarding the brakes...sometimes when one is not sure what is wrong with the car...I would start with the cheapest and easiest troubleshooting option, and slowly go up if it does not solve my problem. With the brakes, first thing I would do is to go through the bedding process again...this will help alleviate pad deposits. Next I would probably lightly sand the rotors...if that does not help, then next would probably by a machine shop resurfacing the disc or replacement....

Goodluck!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by Case1906
Which Summit Point track did you run?
The jefferson, the really small one heh.. The main track had NASA racing, and the other track (I forgot its name), had Lemons running. I never had the chance to get over 105mph, straight was too short, then again, according the the instructors that were driving along (no solo rides), very few cars ever get the chance to make over 100 due to the short track straights. Lots of hard braking though, I have not used manual mode in a track environment yet, with other cars in front and behind, I was not comfy pushing limits and manually shifting yet.. In sport mode, most likely why the heat went up fast, hard braking, then jamming on the gas

As for the brake issues, it's a tiny bit of vibration and squeeling when driving at very low speeds while just tapping the brake lightly (which did not occur prior to tracking it), which is why I said slightly.. I should have said "very slight" instead It's only a mild annoyance.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
[quote=jvanbrecht;4129837]The jefferson, the really small one heh.. The main track had NASA racing, and the other track (I forgot its name), had Lemons running. I never had the chance to get over 105mph, straight was too short, then again, according the the instructors that were driving along (no solo rides), very few cars ever get the chance to make over 100 due to the short track straights. Lots of hard braking though, I have not used manual mode in a track environment yet, with other cars in front and behind, I was not comfy pushing limits and manually shifting yet.. In sport mode, most likely why the heat went up fast, hard braking, then jamming on the gas

You have to be a very good and experienced track driver to get to the limits of the C63.

100mph plus feels mighty fast on that track. You will really enjoy the main track where you can accelerate the car on the pit straight. You can get 140mph with a stock C63 carrying some speed out of the last corner.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
I don't know from what planet are you from but here in earth the rotors can warp with extreme use, in fact, they can warp if you accidentally go through water(puddles) while they are very hot.

Do you really think the rotors can't warp? You must be the only person. Rotors can warp, rotors can crack, rotors can develop groves, scratches, develop glazed surfaces and they can present fatigue and even break and more.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM

no more AMG
Sounds to me like someone didn't take advantage of the cool down lap. I've been on brake demanding tracks on hot days here in California (100+ outside, not even sure what the actually track temp was) and haven't warped a rotor yet. I've seen lots of people smoke rotors and pads from instantly shutting the car off in the pits after a track session with high dollar cars equiped with amazing braking systems (lambo's, ferrari, etc). Was there water on the track?