C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Bigger Throttle Bodies, Please Comment

Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Will try. It's really wedged in there now, and I may just leave it. It is much bigger than the OEM y-pipe.

There's a guy selling his RENNtech intake on the forum now and it's off the car. That's probably a better shot to get the pics and measurements you want.

The only way any of us are getting a 127mph car is to lose weight or add a supercharger. I think 125mph may be realistic now on a completely FBO car with an aggressive tune and slicks, but if you look at the 1/4 mile times list all of the NA cars over 124mph have significant weight reduction.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Will try. It's really wedged in there now, and I may just leave it. It is much bigger than the OEM y-pipe.

There's a guy selling his RENNtech intake on the forum now and it's off the car. That's probably a better shot to get the pics and measurements you want.

The only way any of us are getting a 127mph car is to lose weight or add a supercharger. I think 125mph may be realistic now on a completely FBO car with an aggressive tune and slicks, but if you look at the 1/4 mile times list all of the NA cars over 124mph have significant weight reduction.
just ran at atco... all cars there trap 3-4mph higher
Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG

Fair play, i can appreciate it's a pita to yank parts off sometimes esp for a dull task like this. Yeah perhaps i'll shoot TexasE63 a PM.

Didn't your car trap 125 though? Granted it was on race fuel, but still.... When are you going to re-run btw?

I have a mod which fingers crossed should be fitted and working (please Lord) by the end of this week. Assuming it's ok, I post about it and make it happen for the community too - I'm sure it will be worth 3-4mph.

This is bench racing at it's finest, but i'm going to guess that i have a ~122-123mph car (based off cars that I'm able to hang with)....3-4 would take me to ~126...a bit more would be nice. I have a feeling it'll come in the form of some lighter 18" wheels, but if I can DIY an intake then that'll be great too. However if you're saying that it's much bigger, I doubt I'll be able to make something as an amateur without upsetting the maf/airflow calibration etc etc. Not to worry
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Fair play, i can appreciate it's a pita to yank parts off sometimes esp for a dull task like this. Yeah perhaps i'll shoot TexasE63 a PM.

Didn't your car trap 125 though? Granted it was on race fuel, but still.... When are you going to re-run btw?

I have a mod which fingers crossed should be fitted and working (please Lord) by the end of this week. Assuming it's ok, I post about it and make it happen for the community too - I'm sure it will be worth 3-4mph.

This is bench racing at it's finest, but i'm going to guess that i have a ~122-123mph car (based off cars that I'm able to hang with)....3-4 would take me to ~126...a bit more would be nice. I have a feeling it'll come in the form of some lighter 18" wheels, but if I can DIY an intake then that'll be great too. However if you're saying that it's much bigger, I doubt I'll be able to make something as an amateur without upsetting the maf/airflow calibration etc etc. Not to worry
I don't have my spreadsheet with all my times and splits and speeds etc because that laptop fried, so I can't tell you what the best mph was that I've seen. I think I saw a random 126mph once at Island on a super cold winter night where I spun through the first 4 gears so the result is suspect. It was an outlier. My best ET came with a 122, and I've seen as high as just over 123 consistently. I doubt that I'm going to be doing much more drag racing outside from a fun trip to Atco once in awhile. The car is terrible on the dragstrip now with all the solid/spherical bushings throughout the suspension, all the negative camber and lowering, and all of the underbody bars and other subframe reinforcements. It just wants to hop and spin from a dig like that with zero give whatsoever, and I snapped an axle the last time I really tried for good times at the strip. That's not fun but if I'm just going for mph I don't really need to launch it like I used to. We will see.

An easy mod for 3-4mph? That would be huge. Give us a hint? What I'd really like to do is change the final drive to a 3.05 or 3.23 from the OE 2.82. Been looking into this but it has all sorts of repercussions for the traction control and trans so I'm a bit hesitant to go down that path yet.

Yeah, the bend for the RENNtech intake does not narrow like the OEM y-pipe. It's just one long consistent sweep from the boxes to the IM. I am pretty sure my intake has already been damaged the way I have it stuffed in there (it is against the firewall and banging against all kinds of stuff including my strut bar). I'm hoping that the ECE engine mounts lower the engine 10mm and cut down the movement because that's exactly what I need right now. Otherwise I'm going to have to bring out the hammer and start making space.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I don't have my spreadsheet with all my times and splits and speeds etc because that laptop fried, so I can't tell you what the best mph was that I've seen. I think I saw a random 126mph once at Island on a super cold winter night where I spun through the first 4 gears so the result is suspect. It was an outlier. My best ET came with a 122, and I've seen as high as just over 123 consistently. I doubt that I'm going to be doing much more drag racing outside from a fun trip to Atco once in awhile. The car is terrible on the dragstrip now with all the solid/spherical bushings throughout the suspension, all the negative camber and lowering, and all of the underbody bars and other subframe reinforcements. It just wants to hop and spin from a dig like that with zero give whatsoever, and I snapped an axle the last time I really tried for good times at the strip. That's not fun but if I'm just going for mph I don't really need to launch it like I used to. We will see.
Ahhhh....ok i hear you. Yeah your ET will never be strong anymore. On the basis that these cars are nearly useless on the street, compared to either a proper manual car or DCT, roll races and high traps will be the order of the day anyway. i mean...We've all seen vids (and even made vids) of our tachos and roll races from 40mph...but have any of us beaten a competitive car from a dig on the street? (In Mexico of course).

An easy mod for 3-4mph? That would be huge. Give us a hint? What I'd really like to do is change the final drive to a 3.05 or 3.23 from the OE 2.82. Been looking into this but it has all sorts of repercussions for the traction control and trans so I'm a bit hesitant to go down that path yet.
Depends what you consider to be easy. I'd say headwork is hard. Headers is easy. I'd say this is in the middle.

You hit the nail on the head - I'll post more hopefully later in the week if it checks out ok, but basically my car is having a 3.06 final drive fitted (maybe even as we speak). I've paid a small fortune to have the TCU coded and yes if this works flawlessly as it should, 1) I'll become a vendor and organise a group buy and 2) with a raised rev limit in 4th gear, we will see a whole wave of faster M156 cars. I'm super super excited, but also super super nervous at the same time.

Yeah, the bend for the RENNtech intake does not narrow like the OEM y-pipe. It's just one long consistent sweep from the boxes to the IM. I am pretty sure my intake has already been damaged the way I have it stuffed in there (it is against the firewall and banging against all kinds of stuff including my strut bar). I'm hoping that the ECE engine mounts lower the engine 10mm and cut down the movement because that's exactly what I need right now. Otherwise I'm going to have to bring out the hammer and start making space.
Interesting....I need a spare Y-pipe to chop up and get to work. I enlarged the airbox, but butt-dyno (didn't get a chance to actually dyno either) didn't register anything. I'd like to experiment now with a modified Y-pipe. I'll try eBay UK. Thanks man - that's pretty much what I needed to know
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (09-20-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Celicasaur
You hit the nail on the head - I'll post more hopefully later in the week if it checks out ok, but basically my car is having a 3.06 final drive fitted (maybe even as we speak). I've paid a small fortune to have the TCU coded and yes if this works flawlessly as it should, 1) I'll become a vendor and organise a group buy and 2) with a raised rev limit in 4th gear, we will see a whole wave of faster M156 cars. I'm super super excited, but also super super nervous at the same time.
That's excellent. Are you going through limitedslip.de? Florian has a great reputation and knows what he's doing. I started looking into this last fall and was learning up with help from Diabolis on what the ramp angles and lockups mean to diff behavior and eventually got lost in an internet rabbit hole on technical geek stuff. It will give you much better acceleration and torque and more usable gears (although 1st will be useless). It sounds like all win but I've been warned that the TC ABS and other things may not like it - have you done any special coding to take the higher final drive into account? And how? Thanks for being the guinea pig yet again, I'm excited to see how this works out for you. You have PM incoming.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
That's excellent. Are you going through limitedslip.de? Florian has a great reputation and knows what he's doing. I started looking into this last fall and was learning up with help from Diabolis on what the ramp angles and lockups mean to diff behavior and eventually got lost in an internet rabbit hole on technical geek stuff. It will give you much better acceleration and torque and more usable gears (although 1st will be useless). It sounds like all win but I've been warned that the TC ABS and other things may not like it - have you done any special coding to take the higher final drive into account? And how? Thanks for being the guinea pig yet again, I'm excited to see how this works out for you. You have PM incoming.

No, not limitedslip.de. A guy through a friend kinda thing. I asked if he'd be happy for me to co-ordinate on his behalf and he was good with that, but let's see if it works on my car first (fingers crossed). I've spoken with a couple of his guys in Europe when I had a business trip in Switzerland and he had a W212 E63 which was putting the gap on an E63S (W212 facelift of course). I know how slow a W212 is compared to a W204, so to gap a bi-turbo (stock PP) with just an ECU flash and 3.06 gear, the improvement is quite dramatic, eventhough it would suggest a tiny improvement on paper.

The reason I'm confident about the MPH being so much better in the standing quarter is because there's loads of meat on the bone when we would cross the line in 4th, so we can safely sacrifice some top end, to max out the gear before the shift.

Yes I've had the TCU tuned to take the higher final drive into account. I just hope it plays nicely...i hate being the guinea pig. I was the guinea pig back in the day with my Celica and although it's the strongest NA car to date, it often means you take the brunt of all costs n failures, haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by Celicasaur:
BadCompany (05-14-2018), BLKROKT (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
07 Z06, 2011 c63pp
Keep us posted
Looking forward to this going well.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Here are my 82mm velocity stacks

The following 3 users liked this post by skratch77:
BLKROKT (09-20-2018), MBNRG (09-20-2018), Texas E63 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
well damn those are badass - shame no one can see them inside the intake. So who is going to quit playing games and fit an sls intake manifold on their car? Thats where the rear power is.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
well damn those are badass - shame no one can see them inside the intake. So who is going to quit playing games and fit an sls intake manifold on their car? Thats where the rear power is.
I almost bought one lol
Old 09-20-2018, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol yeah Scratch and I have been debating whether to buy the broken ones on eBay for the past year

Those look great Scratch! How are they fastened and are they carbon?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Lol yeah Scratch and I have been debating whether to buy the broken ones on eBay for the past year

Those look great Scratch! How are they fastened and are they carbon?
those big juicy intake runners on that SLS intake lol tell you what I'll buy your renntech box if you do end up buying it.

I've already got 3 PMS about the stacks so I'll just post it here for public knowledge (hate when people dont share things) after getting my throttle bodies and looking at the stock setup and renntech setup I knew I had to have some type of stack on them.ill trust the amg engineers and sure they did countless testing on flow benches running our engines to 7300 rpm etc.

I bought like 4 different stacks on Ebay that were just to damn big,I was cutting them and doing the best I could to get them to fit and be affective but after putting the back under plate together I was like wtf these huge stacks might be blocking airflow and had me go back to the drawing board to try and mimic the OEM stacks.

I went back to Ebay and found a guy selling intake bumper kits and just from the picture I was thinking I could cut them up and make them work so I ordered a set and after some dremel cutting and sanding I cut enough off to make them fit.

I used 4 different glues on them and might do some type of epoxy before I install them.

here is what I used!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F11 3217449626

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113217449626

Last edited by skratch77; 09-20-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skratch77
those big juicy intake runners on that SLS intake lol tell you what I'll buy your renntech box if you do end up buying it.
Actually, I think I’m going to just slap on an ESS charger over the winter instead....
You’re welcome to have the RENNtech boxes then.

Stacks look great. Think carefully about how to fasten them. It’s hot and vibrates in there. I wouldn’t want a piece of JBWeld to break off and get injested, you know.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
This is what we have for the TB upgrade. 82 and 85mm

Old 09-21-2018, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
To fit the sls, you probably should use the SLS cams then a tune to remove the runner switch flapper signal and tune for the SLS cam timing and probably new spark timing too.
Then you'd want long tube headers, so as to be close to the SLS headers. Those are probably even freer flowing because there's a straight pipe portion out of the port, before the first turn.
Maybe SLS runs different spark plugs too.

Now probably there's a quick answer too. Flashing an SLS tune on a M156 ECU? Then tweaking any files that the transmission needs ?

Last edited by Vladds; 09-22-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Wait, BLK is going FI?
Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LSAMG
Wait, BLK is going FI?
We’ll see. I’m moving to LA in Dec and am trying to figure out what to do with the car. If it’s gonna be illegal anyway, might as well go all in.

I also think a SC will give me more bang for the buck than going super widebody. What I’ll lack in handling I’ll make up for in power. Or something like that.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I asked blackbenz on Instagram to get a group buy going on the ess kit.

I'm far to deep invested staying na now though.my last mod on this car will be the renntech airbox
Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Originally Posted by skratch77
I asked blackbenz on Instagram to get a group buy going on the ess kit.

I'm far to deep invested staying na now though.my last mod on this car will be the renntech airbox
You dont need a group buy for good pricing, Shoot us a PM and we can get you setup without the hassle and wait of a group buy.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63

We’ll see. I’m moving to LA in Dec and am trying to figure out what to do with the car. If it’s gonna be illegal anyway, might as well go all in.

I also think a SC will give me more bang for the buck than going super widebody. What I’ll lack in handling I’ll make up for in power. Or something like that.
Nice! We have some good meets out here. Once you move out, you should join the AMG Socal Lounge on facebook for all the event info. Plus there are tons of good tracks out here, none of which I have had time to sample yet.
BLKROKT (11-07-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Got them to open 100% and car idles and drives like normal.but Dyno says picked up power in mid range for sure.

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
YouTube video of them opening up.

PNW_E63_AMG (03-13-2023)
Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
B5S4, 2013 P31 C63
@BLKROKT and @Celicasaur

Thank you both (and others) for the awesome info on this thread. I wasted 45 minutes at work reading through a learning more than I ever thought I would about TBs and velocity stacks. I noticed you both are selling TBs now--are these the 82mm ones you all troubleshot in '16-'17? If so, why the sale--time for a change, different tune, or other? Just curious whether, after driving with them for a while, you decided to go a different direction. TIA.
BLKROKT (11-07-2018)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bigger Throttle Bodies, Please Comment