C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

I drove a C63 - my impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I drove a C63 - my impressions

I had the opportunity to drive a C63 AMG (2009), and here are some of my impressions. I am coming from a 2001 S55 AMG. (355Hp)

First, the sound when you start it up is pretty exciting. Definitely sets the stage. I liked the driving position, those side bolsters are pretty aggressive but I like them: feels like a smaller sports car. The steering wheel is nice - in general I think the interior has a nice modern look, I know some people complain it is a little bit cheap: But here's my take, the C63 for all its performance and power, still is much cheaper than some of the other AMG's which can be double or more the price. (S63, S65, etc) Those have the more upscale interiors.

Ok, now the good stuff - the driving. My first impression is that it feels very solid. Nice and straight, and feels stable and balanced. The power is very good, it definitely gets up and going. I put it in both sport S mode and the manual mode. The downshifting of the engine and general exhaust sound is certainly incredible, one of the best points of this car.

Very good in the twisties, and the acceleration is strong, even from highway speeds like over 60. Picks up pretty fast.

Now, obviously when I got back in my S55, I compared the two. The easy stuff is the size and comfort, the S class is bigger and has more options standard, even a 2001. The C63 driving wise, feels smaller and much tighter. Below 40mph or so it is much more exciting to drive, you definitely feel those G-forces more in the C63. Interestingly enough, after 55mph, obviously the C63 still accelerates faster - but the S55's "physical" feeling of acceleration is not too much different at those higher speeds. It weighs about 400-500lbs more, and is 355hp/391lbs of tq vs the C63 which is lighter and more powerful, but you definitely feel the difference more at lower speeds were the torque pushes you back vigorously. Interestingly enough, I recently drove a 550hp S55 with the supercharged engine that was tuned, and my experience was the same - at higher highway speeds the physical difference in the acceleration goes down compared to the lower speeds.

The manual transmission shifting I found was only OK, maybe not as fast or exciting as I would have thought - but perhaps I need more time with it. Overall, a very exciting car to drive, and that sound is unmatchable!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
Glad you got to drive one and liked it. It really is hard to beat the sound.........love it!!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It is on my short list for my next car. As far as the newer AMG's, it strikes my fancy the most because it is a bit more 'raw' than the other, more plush rides - like the E/S AMG's. It is a bit simpler, but I think a car like that benefits from simplicity and pure power. I'd want to say it is like a baby brother to the CLK63 Black series!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
We know.

We own one.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
Originally Posted by rondocap

Very good in the twisties, and the acceleration is strong, even from highway speeds like over 60. Picks up pretty fast.