MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Getting my feet push to the fire by the dealer! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/399009-getting-my-feet-push-fire-dealer.html)

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-05-2011 08:55 PM

Getting my feet push to the fire by the dealer!

Helloooo Gents! I was wondering if I can get some feedback from members in the community with some higher mileage on their cars. I recently crossed the 40K mile mark and was due for service. I called my SA at the stealership, which I have a good relationship with, informed me the 40K service on my car is $1279.05! After quickly realizing I wasn’t day dreaming at my desk :slap: I began to ask my SA what this included.

Seems like the major things serviced at 40K is an oil and filter change. Brake fluid flush. Transmission oil and filter change. The rest is a bunch of inspections across the chassis. Also I think my SA quoted me also for the removal of the LSD fluid, which my car wasn’t equipped with. Not to mention this service includes new engine air filters which I don’t want since I have my Carbonio air intake less then a year on which include new intake filters.

Bottom line what has everyone been quoted for this service? I had to put a few back the other day:cheers: pondering this estimate as I am seriously considering a good independent dealer (plus I wanted a drink anyways). I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

02Drunkenup 05-05-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG (Post 4659395)
Also I think my SA quoted me also for the removal of the LSD fluid, which my car wasn’t equipped with.

LMFAO

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-05-2011 09:11 PM

The Estimate

CUSTOMER QUOTE
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
OPERATION: MMENU 40,000 Mile Factory Required Service Work
*** 40,000 Mile Factory Required Service Work ***
40,000 Mile Factory Required Service Work
MB0042 Reset Service Indicator
MB0053 Inspect Condition, Leaks, Of Components, Lines & Hoses
MB0101SY Synthetic Oil & Filter Change (Reset Service Reminder)
MB0980 Replace Air Cleaner Element
MB1351 Inspect Poly-V-Belt
MB2010 Check & Correct Engine Coolant Protection
MB2702 Auto Transmission Oil & Filter Change
MB3353 Check Front Axle Ball Joints
MB4060 Check, Correct Tire Pressure Including Spare
MB4152 Inspect Drive Shaft Flex Disc
MB4210 Brake System, Check & Correct Fluid Level
MB4253 Check Brake Pad Thickness, Front & Rear
MB4280 Replace Brake Fluid
MB4290 Brake Test, Parking Brake Check
MB4611 Power Steering Fluid, Check & Correct Fluid Level
MB4650 Check Steering Play
MB6550 Change Rear Differential Fluid
C63 08/11 W/ AMG Performance Package
MB8210 Check & Correct Windshield Washer Fluid
MB8381 Replace Combination / Dust Filter
MB8821 Check Hood Catch, Safety Catch & Hinges

NOTES: *(Code 030, P30 - W/ AMG Performance Package)

LABOR $: 617.10
PARTS $: 548.28
GOG $: 0.00
MISC. $: 29.99
TAX $: 83.68
------------------------
SUBTOTAL $: 1279.05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL LABOR $: 617.10
TOTAL PARTS $: 548.28
TOTAL GOG $: 0.00
TOTAL MISC. $: 29.99
TOTAL TAX $: 83.68
--------------------------------
ESTIMATE TOTAL $: 1279.05

yamahazing 05-05-2011 11:43 PM

Have you done the 39k transmission service?

JimmyR 05-06-2011 02:22 AM

You could save a few bucks and see if they can leave this one off the service schedule:

Reckon you could probably get away with leaving this till next big service!!

slowbra01 05-06-2011 02:51 AM

Just wondering, when are the required service intervals for the c63 appart from this 40k miles checkup?

DuaneC63 05-06-2011 03:05 AM

Check your manual but I think oil/filter is every 10K (I do it every 5K) and brake fluid ever other year (which seems the standard interval on all german cars). Air and pollen filters based on visual inspections. Looks like 40K is the big expensive one. I'd do a coolant flush at 40K too.

bigben320e 05-06-2011 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG (Post 4659395)
Helloooo Gents! I was wondering if I can get some feedback from members in the community with some higher mileage on their cars. I recently crossed the 40K mile mark and was due for service. I called my SA at the stealership, which I have a good relationship with, informed me the 40K service on my car is $1279.05! After quickly realizing I wasn’t day dreaming at my desk :slap: I began to ask my SA what this included.

Seems like the major things serviced at 40K is an oil and filter change. Brake fluid flush. Transmission oil and filter change. The rest is a bunch of inspections across the chassis. Also I think my SA quoted me also for the removal of the LSD fluid, which my car wasn’t equipped with. Not to mention this service includes new engine air filters which I don’t want since I have my Carbonio air intake less then a year on which include new intake filters.

Bottom line what has everyone been quoted for this service? I had to put a few back the other day:cheers: pondering this estimate as I am seriously considering a good independent dealer (plus I wanted a drink anyways). I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Judging from part of your own statement, you saw the dealer is about BS and just jacking prices. Did you get an broken down cost for each of these services?Where I live, the A service is typically $200 or less, B service around $395 at dealers that covers a big portion on that list:

MB0042 Reset Service Indicator
MB0053 Inspect Condition, Leaks, Of Components, Lines & Hoses
MB0101SY Synthetic Oil & Filter Change (Reset Service Reminder)
MB1351 Inspect Poly-V-Belt
MB2010 Check & Correct Engine Coolant Protection
MB3353 Check Front Axle Ball Joints
MB4060 Check, Correct Tire Pressure Including Spare
MB4152 Inspect Drive Shaft Flex Disc
MB4210 Brake System, Check & Correct Fluid Level
MB4253 Check Brake Pad Thickness, Front & Rear
MB4290 Brake Test, Parking Brake Check
MB4611 Power Steering Fluid, Check & Correct Fluid Level
MB4650 Check Steering Play
MB8210 Check & Correct Windshield Washer Fluid

Your suggestion on looking at an indy, I would do that as a comparison and check with other dealers also. From personal experience (I know yours will vary as you drive an AMG C63), when I compared several dealers the prices varied almost $500 on the same services such as the brake fluid, and transmission service. Transmission service at one dealer was $500, the other dealer was a little over $200, huge difference. When I mentioned to the dealer that charged the lesser amount about the price I was quoted from the higher dealer, the SA/SM looked totally puzzled, and said they are gouging beyond belief...just an example.

eagle_lex 05-06-2011 09:20 AM

tell them EXACTLY what you want done and tell them to quote that and only do that work. if it was me.... i would tell them oil/filter, tranny flush, and depending on how the brake fluid looks (ie darker in appearance) then id have them quote that as well. they should tell you whats "recommend" and then ask you what you want done. if they dont, then look for an indy in your area.

my dealer is good about what i just said. but there are also two indys here and those guys use to work for the dealer. so there is some competition in my area. dont let them TELL YOU what they are going to do to YOUR car. you are the client.

eagle_lex 05-06-2011 09:22 AM

oh and id have the coolant tested. i would probably just have it flushed if it was my car at your mileage. alll that other stuff you can pretty much do yourself or its just "fluff"

AMGfan 05-06-2011 09:44 AM

Man...they took you to wood shed on that service. Hopefully, the next service you take the car to an indie. I have only taken my cars to the dealer if it is warranty work...

As far as A and B service...I just called my indie shop and they quoted me $150-$200 for A and approx $250-$300 for B on my wifes C300 ($50 variance is for AMG model)...

Good luck in future services...

grane 05-06-2011 09:54 AM

Rip-off.

For example, why do they charge you to inspect the brake fluid, and also replace it?:crazy:

Replace spark plugs. If an OEM-Level Bosch is available this is the preferred brand no matter what MBUSA is currently buying in bulk.

Comments below are based on my CL and my G500 long term maintenance. I agree with the majority of the comments above but fluids are drained and replaced, not "flushed." Make sure they use the 0-40 oil. Many MB dealers buy the 5-40 in bulk but the 0-40 is a superior oil.

Replace serpentine belt and keep old one as spare in a trunk box. Have them spin all the pulleys/tensioners and replace any that make noise. If the engine has one of those "weight saving" plastic tensioners just replace it. Keep the old ones in the trunk spare box unless that have cracks and noise.

Make sure they inspect the motor and transmission mounts. The rear end fluid should be replaced.

Make sure all the FSBs are up to date.

Use MB fluids throughout.

If the brake pads need replacement you most probably don't need new rotors no matter what the dealer says about "AMG policy."

Have an indy check the alignment - often you can get a free alignment check at one of the big tire dealers.

Make sure you you get replaced parts back. If you go to an indie get your parts from a Sponsor:

www.mymercedesparts.com

BTW, I have the dealer in NH quote me a similar service on my CL and it came to just over $700 with all the extras sans oil/filter change (add$99 for this.) Different cars and engines, but I have two belts and I had them replace the two plastic pulleys just because...

The idea mentioned above of a price breakdown is excellent! If you go to an indie for some of the service, have the dealer do some of the service, eg, oil and brake fluid change, so it is on record for warranty reasons. Sometimes the indie can't beat the dealer on this so it is false economy.

Congrats on maintaining your car.
:zoom:

chief63 05-06-2011 10:39 AM

Wow what a rip-off. I go to an approved mercedes garage (not dealership). I tell them what I do (brakes, oil, etc) and they verify what's on the rest of the regular check up. For half the hourly rate of MB. Also great since I have a tune.

The dealership sells it as a package to make sure you are fully ripped off!

obsidian05e55 05-06-2011 11:00 AM

Thats crazy! If you find a good indi in NJ, let me know as I am looking for one. The SA's at the dealers should wear ski masks. Bunch of thieves.

Yuille36 05-06-2011 12:09 PM

The only real thing you may need is a oil change, brake fluid flush and transmission service. Everything else you can do yourself.

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-06-2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigben320e (Post 4659835)
Judging from part of your own statement, you saw the dealer is about BS and just jacking prices. Did you get an broken down cost for each of these services?Where I live, the A service is typically $200 or less, B service around $395 at dealers that covers a big portion on that list:

Your suggestion on looking at an indy, I would do that as a comparison and check with other dealers also. From personal experience (I know yours will vary as you drive an AMG C63), when I compared several dealers the prices varied almost $500 on the same services such as the brake fluid, and transmission service. Transmission service at one dealer was $500, the other dealer was a little over $200, huge difference. When I mentioned to the dealer that charged the lesser amount about the price I was quoted from the higher dealer, the SA/SM looked totally puzzled, and said they are gouging beyond belief...just an example.

I am going to call a few dealerships and get qoutes. I just dont have anytime as I am just able to reply to this thread as I eat lunch at my desk!:smash:

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-06-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by eagle_lex (Post 4660004)
tell them EXACTLY what you want done and tell them to quote that and only do that work. if it was me.... i would tell them oil/filter, tranny flush, and depending on how the brake fluid looks (ie darker in appearance) then id have them quote that as well. they should tell you whats "recommend" and then ask you what you want done. if they dont, then look for an indy in your area.

my dealer is good about what i just said. but there are also two indys here and those guys use to work for the dealer. so there is some competition in my area. dont let them TELL YOU what they are going to do to YOUR car. you are the client.

Agreed. I just want the brake fluid drained and replace. oil change. transmission oil and filter replaced. A serpintine felt shouldn't go at 40K and I can look myself to see visual the condition of the belt. My brother's 04 S4 the engine is mashed right up against the front bumper, that they need to remove the whole bumper and pull the radiator forward to work replace it. The car runs strong with no issues at all. The only a problem I had with this car was during the first month of ownership I got a bunch of CELs which eventually led to a defective purge valve.

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-06-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by grane (Post 4660044)
Rip-off.

For example, why do they charge you to inspect the brake fluid, and also replace it?:crazy:

Replace spark plugs. If an OEM-Level Bosch is available this is the preferred brand no matter what MBUSA is currently buying in bulk.

Comments below are based on my CL and my G500 long term maintenance. I agree with the majority of the comments above but fluids are drained and replaced, not "flushed." Make sure they use the 0-40 oil. Many MB dealers buy the 5-40 in bulk but the 0-40 is a superior oil.

Replace serpentine belt and keep old one as spare in a trunk box. Have them spin all the pulleys/tensioners and replace any that make noise. If the engine has one of those "weight saving" plastic tensioners just replace it. Keep the old ones in the trunk spare box unless that have cracks and noise.

Make sure they inspect the motor and transmission mounts. The rear end fluid should be replaced.

Make sure all the FSBs are up to date.

Use MB fluids throughout.

If the brake pads need replacement you most probably don't need new rotors no matter what the dealer says about "AMG policy."

Have an indy check the alignment - often you can get a free alignment check at one of the big tire dealers.

Make sure you you get replaced parts back. If you go to an indie get your parts from a Sponsor:

www.mymercedesparts.com

BTW, I have the dealer in NH quote me a similar service on my CL and it came to just over $700 with all the extras sans oil/filter change (add$99 for this.) Different cars and engines, but I have two belts and I had them replace the two plastic pulleys just because...

The idea mentioned above of a price breakdown is excellent! If you go to an indie for some of the service, have the dealer do some of the service, eg, oil and brake fluid change, so it is on record for warranty reasons. Sometimes the indie can't beat the dealer on this so it is false economy.

Congrats on maintaining your car.
:zoom:

The dfference is just the temperature spec. Living in NJ where my car is stored in a enclosed garage it should be fine.

PetroC63 05-06-2011 12:51 PM

Mike,

Call Bergen Import in Cliffside Park. Ask for Harry, he works exclusively on
MB's. He has his own MB star diagnostic system.

He just installed my CF trunk, diffuser and aprons for me last week.

Mike

MikeG_C63_AMG 05-06-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by obsidian05e55 (Post 4660170)
Thats crazy! If you find a good indi in NJ, let me know as I am looking for one. The SA's at the dealers should wear ski masks. Bunch of thieves.

I was thinking of trying Bell Mercedes in Paramus. He is a former MB certified mechanic and I always see a bunch of newer MB on his lot when I pass by. How many miles are on your car where do you take it?

cyberorth 05-06-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by eagle_lex (Post 4660004)

Sometimes they refuse to reset your Assyst + which is OK as you can just reset it yourself.

Savoy6 05-06-2011 05:25 PM

i just did mine.
426 for the b service.
454 for the xmxn fluid and filter.
137 for the brake system flush.
so mine was 1017 if i did my cypherin right.

i did the brakes at the same time. was able to get most of the parts outside and brought them in which saved some. but it was still 3800 total for the 40k and new brakes installed all the way around.

obsidian05e55 05-06-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG (Post 4660346)
I was thinking of trying Bell Mercedes in Paramus. He is a former MB certified mechanic and I always see a bunch of newer MB on his lot when I pass by. How many miles are on your car where do you take it?

Ive been using Globe MB in Fairfield, but im through with them. I have 12k on it.:D

503C43 ////AMG 05-06-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by slowbra01 (Post 4659811)
Just wondering, when are the required service intervals for the c63 appart from this 40k miles checkup?

Every 2 Years:
Brake fluid flush/change

Every 3 years:
Engine coolant flush/change

Every 5 years:
Fuel filter replacement
Spark Plug replacement
Transmission service
Rear differential service

tanktube67 05-07-2011 03:02 AM

If you a hands on, you could do mostly all the work yourself, have the stealer do your trans service and your oil change and look for coupons