Bad temp sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Buds
WELP the new sensor seemed to stabilize things a bit (not completely tho), especially once I reach the 177F mark HOWEVER I just returned from lunch and my digital display wasn't reading the oil temp AT ALL, it just showed --- !

When I turned the car off after the 2 minute drive back to the office for lunch the fans stayed on long after the car was off (which considering its a nice 88 degrees outside today and it never did that when it was 110 out is concerning to me). Looks like I'll be heading back to the dealer and most likely switching to a different dealership all together, my impressions of my current dealer keep getting lower.
Thanks for the response. And sorry to hear your digital display is still giving you problems. It just sounds like an electrical glitch. Hopefully, the new dealer will offer more assistance. I know from experience MB service is inconsistent from dealer-to-dealer. Law of averages says you should eventually find some smart techs. I'm in the same boat, so hoping I can get it figured out soon. Just look at your dial guage (the mechanical one) and it will tell you if things are okay, i.e., where the temps are at.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIXED!

Okay so after leaving the car at the dealer for another 4 days, the problem has been fixed! Here's what the official writeup from the dealership states:

"Pin loose for engine oil temperature sensor at plug on engine control unit, causing sporadic reading in instrument cluster. Perform short test (54-1011), code 3719 oil temp sensor implausible; check resistance of wiring going to sensor pin 82 at ECU and pin 2 at sensor resistance at .3ohms, check pin tension at engine control unit and found very loose compared to other pins, replaced pin 82 in engine control harness (1.9)."

The temp is definitely more stable and consistent than ever before. I'll keep an eye on it but as of right now, I'd say it's fixed!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 PM

EDIT: The only quirk I notice is that I'll be cruising along @ 80 MPH oil temp will be around 210 and if I start to really push the car the oil temp will drop to 150-170, it's almost as if the fan kicks in and really works to cool the oil. Who knows, but I'd still say the problem is solved.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
sounds like you need a new ECU
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
EDIT: The only quirk I notice is that I'll be cruising along @ 80 MPH oil temp will be around 210 and if I start to really push the car the oil temp will drop to 150-170, it's almost as if the fan kicks in and really works to cool the oil. Who knows, but I'd still say the problem is solved.
Sounds like you get the issue pretty much fixed. But the fluctuation from 210 down to 150-170 doesn't sound normal. I'm sure your oil is not dropping in temperature when you begin to push the car harder, so something isn't being read right. I'm gonna take mine in in the next week or so to get sorted out.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
This is just crazy!
How can AMG build a car with such a crappy oil temp sensor?

I just had my service A done and I thought I noticed my oil temp acting weird after the oil change.
Mine hasn't dropped down in temp, but it seems to run hotter than before (even during this cooler weather). I haven't driven the car much since getting the service done, but as soon as I get home from vacation I'll give it a better test run. My wife and kids want to stay another night, so much for getting home today and watching football!

Could our oil temp sensors get damaged from oil changes? Siphon line hitting it, etc.
Not sure where the sensor is--anyone know?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Okay so after leaving the car at the dealer for another 4 days, the problem has been fixed! Here's what the official writeup from the dealership states:

"Pin loose for engine oil temperature sensor at plug on engine control unit, causing sporadic reading in instrument cluster. Perform short test (54-1011), code 3719 oil temp sensor implausible; check resistance of wiring going to sensor pin 82 at ECU and pin 2 at sensor resistance at .3ohms, check pin tension at engine control unit and found very loose compared to other pins, replaced pin 82 in engine control harness (1.9)."

The temp is definitely more stable and consistent than ever before. I'll keep an eye on it but as of right now, I'd say it's fixed!
I just got my car back from the dealer for this problem. They replaced the oil temp sensor and the problem persists. My temp's digital display will fluctuate nearly every time I step on the accelerator. It jumps from the 200's down to 160's/170's.

So far, my dealership is taking a firm stance that the issue is normal and they have no way to fix it. The service managaer "says" he will be contacting someone tomorrow to learn more about this issue.

Also, my car got an oil change today and now when I accelerate there is a really annoying fluttering sound that you can hear from the engine. It has completely changed the sound of the exhaust in my car's cabin.

I'll update when I find out more info on the oil temp digital display.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM

C63 AMG 2010 P30 (487 HP) Europe
Hi guys!
Same problem
If I step on accelerator temperature jumps lower
Maybe some one solve this problem?!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 AM

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 AM

Hi stop ignoring me when I am asking advice
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 AM

Bmw m5 , c63

So it's just a loose pin ?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Terryamg04
So it's just a loose pin ?
Here's a tip for you since the last response on this thread was over 5 YEARS AGO. Why don't you "PRIVATE MESSAGE" the person to ask your specific question? It's highly unlikely that he's checking his 5 year old thread much anymore.
The following users liked this post:
roadkillrob (01-10-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
So how frequently do our oil temp sensors give? I don't know - it just seems like a strange wear item to me.

Mine went completely silent on me this morning on my hour drive in to work. The sensor seemed to be working when I started the car..then about 20 minutes into the drive, it went blank showing "---F" on my gauge. The coolant temp right underneath was showing up fine. I got to work, parked it, turned off the car, then back on, and it still showed no reading. I turned off the car, got out, and the fan kept running for about a minute and shut off on its own.

Fast forward 3.5 hours, and it was reading out the temp again. About 40 minutes of driving later however, I noticed the engine oil was reading about 150F ish quite consistently and not fluctuating. Even on cooler days, after that much constant driving, the readings would normally be at 200F ish. Is my temp sensor a goner?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:16 PM

C63 w204
have you found the problem

have you found the problem? I have the same issue. Have done the same thing changing the oil temp sensors and the hole ecu box. Still have the problem. I know this is and old tread but can’t find the answer anywhere. Sorry for my bad English.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM

2010 C63
Never found the culprit, but the problem went away on its own. Also, I have since traded her in for the new C63S. Good luck and hope you find the issue.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
My car recently started doing the same thing. The oil temp would go DOWN below normal operating temp when on the throttle, even after hours of driving. I replaced the sensor with no change. I figured I would try to sort it later. In the meantime, I replaced all my injectors. What do you know? It fixed it! Oil temp now warms up steadily and stays around 206F on the freeway. No more jumping around or anything. It’s a 2010 with 100k miles and had Q4 injectors. I got new ones from RM European for $21 each. The car is so alive now and gets better mpg. I’m so happy I killed 2 birds with one fairly inexpensive stone. Not sure what would cause this but that’s what fixed the oil temp reading for me
The following users liked this post:
royalmathmtcs (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 AM

P31 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
My car recently started doing the same thing. The oil temp would go DOWN below normal operating temp when on the throttle, even after hours of driving. I replaced the sensor with no change. I figured I would try to sort it later. In the meantime, I replaced all my injectors. What do you know? It fixed it! Oil temp now warms up steadily and stays around 206F on the freeway. No more jumping around or anything. It’s a 2010 with 100k miles and had Q4 injectors. I got new ones from RM European for $21 each. The car is so alive now and gets better mpg. I’m so happy I killed 2 birds with one fairly inexpensive stone. Not sure what would cause this but that’s what fixed the oil temp reading for me
I just started having this exact same problem. I drive about 25 highway miles to work and my oil temperature on the dash would never go above 165F (continuously flashing), even on hot days. Sometimes, it would jump around sporadically with a 15F-20F differential. Normally, it would get up to at least 200F within 10 minutes from a cold start. I picked up the bosch injectors everyone else has been jumping on as well, and lo and behold, it also fixed my erratic oil temperature readings at the dash. I don't understand why, but I've had the new injectors in for about a week, and the oil temperature readings have been rock solid and are back to normal.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Man. These leaky injectors must be making the motors run cool or are somehow letting cool fuel skew the oil temp reading. I changed my oil and it didn’t smell like fuel. I didn’t do an oil analysis so I don’t know if fuel was contaminating the oil. At least this is a relatively cheap and easy fix.