Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy comparison? C63 vs. 911 vs. R8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
Getting closer to a decision. R8 V8 coupe still a possibility, dont much like the new CLS, and the '12 C63 isn't different enough from my '09.

Guess I'll need to give the '12 E63 a hard look. New engine, similar performance to C63, more room in back for fast-growing kids, better mileage.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Great comparison ! Congrats on your C63 Order!!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Pagani Zonda R
I have a C63 Coupe on order with most of the usual options (no P31, but with LSD). I thought I was done except for the wait, but now it's my turn to agonize.

At the risk of repeating myself, here are some more thoughts. It seems that the R8 has been calling me again, and it looks like Porsche's new 911 will turn out fine.

I've driven another couple of R8's recently. Manual V8 R8's are very hard to find in the showrooms. On the other hand, most dealers seem to have between 2 and 4 V10's sitting around, most of which seem to be auto Spyders. I have a feeling that there is going to be a substantial 2011 V10 overhang into 2012. Perhaps 5k off list can now be had on these, but don't expect more than 2 or 3 off a V8, if you can find one.

One of the things I like about the R8's are that they can still be had with a manual transmission, and even a manual parking brake lever. I could do without the all-wheel drive (and the wide-load seats seemingly taken from a Cadillac), but at its core it's a rather traditional sports car. Its engine does not have the brutal torque of the C63, but it's well-matched to the car, sounds insanely fantastic, and the car is a better over-all performer.

I agree that it has large blind-spots (the blades fill areas where there would normally be small side windows), which is disconcerting. The comment about "hard plastics" is a little off, since actually it's swathed in a soft vinyl "cloth". Unfortunately, I personally find that distinctly ickier than the usual soft-touch plastics you see in luxury cars. So, again, the $5500 extended leather is nearly mandatory, though even that is half faux-leather (most of the upper surfaces) and half real. They also recently moved the backup camera, which is just about mandatory in this car, out of the navigation package, so that winds up being another $2100 (comes with parking sensors).

While V8 Spyders will almost certainly be the rarest of the R8s (barring special models), I tend to think that buyers in that category would go for the V10, especially given the extra several hundred lbs of weight. V8 buyers might want to stick with the Coupe.

So, option an R8 Coupe V8 with extended leather, nav, parking, sound, Alcantara roof, and you are looking at an MSRP of $130k easy, or at least $140k out the door in California. Well, that's about twice what a modestly-optioned C63 costs.

There are somewhat-credible 911 leaks out there now. It looks to be a nice, fitting, "all new" refresh. But those will be perhaps a year out still.

Again, very different cars! Agonizing? Ha! It's awesome to have these choices available!

Last edited by Zondar; 08-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Pagani Zonda R
One more comment, to echo 201's:

I was recently in a warehouse full of exotic cars of all kinds. There were three Mercedes McLaren SLR's, about 20 Ferrari's, etc. The one V10 R8 completely faded into the background. I'd still take one, though!