C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

I'd like to see someone do a manual tranny conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I hated the auto for a bit when I first got the car. After awhile I figured out how to use it and quite enjoy it. It's not a dual clutch so it takes some getting used to.

Also, your Clarkson quote is not correct. It's actually "This is just an axe murderer with headlights, and I absolutely adore it!"
Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
I had a TKO 600 in my Camaro. Very notchy and it's only a 5 speed. I would at least do the Tremic tr6060 6 speed, but that is a lot of work to slow the car down quite frankly.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Also, your Clarkson quote is not correct. It's actually "This is just an axe murderer with headlights, and I absolutely adore it!"
@3:13 for proof
chrisridebike8 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
There are few builders who will install an LSX motor and T56 TRans into an E36 or E46 for a lightwgt track/street car. The Big motor mated to a 6speed is way better than the stock offerings in the W204 and E36/E46 for the track....... if the E46 LSX/6spd swap was not already figured out and fairly economical..... i'd pursue a similar swap in a W204 coupe.... but I just don't have the funds to do R&D for a 1 off track car. Also from what I understand the E36/E46 chassis is better for road racing for a person on a modest budget

To say a 6 spd is going backwards...... that is relative to WHAT..... and for what purpose.

For a fun daily driver..... then keep the amg trans..... for road racing..... I'd rather a 6 speed.

A proper twin clutch would be a diff story.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by betrezra
There are few builders who will install an LSX motor and T56 TRans into an E36 or E46 for a lightwgt track/street car. The Big motor mated to a 6speed is way better than the stock offerings in the W204 and E36/E46 for the track....... if the E46 LSX/6spd swap was not already figured out and fairly economical..... i'd pursue a similar swap in a W204 coupe.... but I just don't have the funds to do R&D for a 1 off track car. Also from what I understand the E36/E46 chassis is better for road racing for a person on a modest budget

To say a 6 spd is going backwards...... that is relative to WHAT..... and for what purpose.

For a fun daily driver..... then keep the amg trans..... for road racing..... I'd rather a 6 speed.

If you're going road racing, why not just buy a Corvette if you're gonna go through all the hassle of swapping the engine and transmission in a C63. That seems like a grand waste of a C63; getting rid of the legendary AMG motor which is the best part of the car.
Mazspeed (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by betrezra

You can also get the Weistec chip and tranny upgrades and make it even better, but to say that a 6 speed is going to be better than the current tranny is not accurate. Yes it has it's issues in shifting, but it's fixable and would be cheaper and better and faster than going with a 6 speed.

The E46 has the SMG and that is a painfully slow and flawed transmission. I can see doing an LS and 6 speed in that. It makes some sense.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
It's a fact that the paddles are FAR faster than any manual shifting. It's not at all open to debate. And for road racing it's a huge advantage as you can keep both hands on the wheel at all times. It's better in every measurable way.
Mazspeed (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
While you're at it you should put drum brakes on it and switch it out to a carb too. If you're gonna go backwards, go all the way back.

Stick would not make this car any more fun or quick, so whats the point?
The following 4 users liked this post by callmiro:
BLKROKT (01-11-2017), Mazspeed (01-11-2017), Phil Chow (01-12-2017), SuperFastYo (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I converted mine to manual and find it a lot more enjoyable 99% of the time... it's actually pretty easy and straightforward I just forgot to post the diy so here it is
step 1: start car
step 2 : push transmission select button until m appears on dash
BLKROKT (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
I converted mine to manual and find it a lot more enjoyable 99% of the time... it's actually pretty easy and straightforward I just forgot to post the diy so here it is
step 1: start car
step 2 : push transmission select button until m appears on dash
Mazspeed (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Ugh, I know SO many E9X M3 drivers that wished the C63 came in the manual. I've heard at least a dozen of them say, "If this thing came in a manual, I'd have bought one in a heartbeat".

Hell, I wished this car came in a manual. I don't care about lap times, I care about fun and to me a manual car = more fun. Some may agree, some may disagree, but without question, there's very strong consensus that car guys love manuals.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
You can also get the Weistec chip and tranny upgrades and make it even better, but to say that a 6 speed is going to be better than the current tranny is not accurate. Yes it has it's issues in shifting, but it's fixable and would be cheaper and better and faster than going with a 6 speed.

The E46 has the SMG and that is a painfully slow and flawed transmission. I can see doing an LS and 6 speed in that. It makes some sense.
Double post cause I don't care.

Ugh yes SMG II and III are... not the best. But at that point, if your going E46 and building the car for racing, the obvious choice is to go with the S62 or S65 mated to their DCT as opposed to a LS with a 6 speed.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Hell, I wished this car came in a manual. I don't care about lap times, I care about fun and to me a manual car = more fun. Some may agree, some may disagree, but without question, there's very strong consensus that car guys love manuals.
For some of us, going faster is fun. I've found that getting rid of the manual takes away one other thing that's sapping my focus from things that actually matter more, like turning, braking, etc.

Why would I want to take manual responsibility - the actual physical shifting of your transmission - for something that can be done far better automatically? It's not just that you're giving up something. The manual changing of gears vs a faster and more accurate shifting trans such as ours, allows you to concentrate on activities which when practiced, yield faster lap times and a more enjoyable experience overall, for me at least. It also enhances your feel and control of the car by allowing you to keep two hands on the wheel at all times, encouraging good habits.

Physically shifting a car does nothing to enhance that experience. I can't do it faster or better, and it's distracting and only slows me down. The extra satisfaction I get from being able to nail a particular part of a racetrack - which I have extremely limited time to enjoy doing - is more appealing to me than getting my actual physical shifts right. Letting the car do the physical shifting for me - I still retain decision over when to actually shift, so I really don't get why there's any question here - steepens that learning curve. How is that not more fun? For the same reason, I lump it into the categories like having automatic sunroof and windows. I like having technology like a faster-responding electronic throttle, and more accurate fuel injection. Physically or mechanically doing any of those activities wouldn't make me enjoy anything about the car more.

Just my 0.02.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM

2013 C63 AMG
For me, it depends on the type of car. For something heavy like the C63, I agree with BLKROKT; I don't think the experience would be enhanced by a manual transmission.

For something like a Lotus Elise, Miata, S2000, a manual transmission enhances the driving experience by increasing the interaction between the car and the driver.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
For some of us, going faster is fun. I've found that getting rid of the manual takes away one other thing that's sapping my focus from things that actually matter more, like turning, braking, etc.

Why would I want to take manual responsibility - the actual physical shifting of your transmission - for something that can be done far better automatically? It's not just that you're giving up something. The manual changing of gears vs a faster and more accurate shifting trans such as ours, allows you to concentrate on activities which when practiced, yield faster lap times and a more enjoyable experience overall, for me at least. It also enhances your feel and control of the car by allowing you to keep two hands on the wheel at all times, encouraging good habits.

Physically shifting a car does nothing to enhance that experience. I can't do it faster or better, and it's distracting and only slows me down. The extra satisfaction I get from being able to nail a particular part of a racetrack - which I have extremely limited time to enjoy doing - is more appealing to me than getting my actual physical shifts right. Letting the car do the physical shifting for me - I still retain decision over when to actually shift, so I really don't get why there's any question here - steepens that learning curve. How is that not more fun? For the same reason, I lump it into the categories like having automatic sunroof and windows. I like having technology like a faster-responding electronic throttle, and more accurate fuel injection. Physically or mechanically doing any of those activities wouldn't make me enjoy anything about the car more.

Just my 0.02.
And I totally get all of your points, don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily agree, but that's completely okay. It's a classic PDK/DCT/MCT/DSG vs Manual trans debate. Happens on just about every forum so nothing new here.

You use the C63 as a track car, so you're looking for maximum efficiency on the track. I get that and I totally understand it. But, I use my car strictly on the street and for that reason would rather be able to row the gears myself as to me, it adds to the experience tremendously. Same reason all else being equal, all manual trans cars go for a premium compared to their auto/dct counterparts. (Audi R8, LP640, F430, E36 M3, E46 M3, Porsches..) In fact, I can't think of one car in which the auto counterpart goes for a higher premium.

Not to mention, my auto trans is horrible. There are second long delays, downshifting takes some time, and the list goes on. You have a better one (wet clutch), but I'd still personally prefer a manual. Again, I want to stress, no one in this conversation is right or wrong, but we do have our preferences based on how we use our cars.
BLKROKT (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Just my 0.02.

So basically what you are saying is that you are either too lazy or ignorant to shift a car on your own. That does not surprise me since you are from NYC. I met guys in basic training from NYC who were in their 20's and never had a drivers license or knew how to pump their own gas. I even worked in Brooklyn for a time. These guys had this stereo typical attitude like they were better than everyone else because they were from New York, but in actuality they were a joke.. and completely out of touch with the rest of the country. Please don't be that guy.. this is a forum for people who are passionate about the C63 to come and share ideas. others have said that the forum is hurting and its because new people are treated like ****. This is not your private club house on the block its a public form for everyone. Some people maybe be tire kickers and dreamers but those people can become potential owners and contributing members.

I'll try to explain why someone might want a manual trans in a muscle car.. the C63 is basically a German Muscle car... People who are passionate about driving understand that a manual trans makes you feel more connected with the car and adds to the overall experience of driving. It allows you to better control the car and makes you feel one with the machine. Granted the C63 in sport + mode is pretty damn good and when in manual it adds to the drivers involvement and is pretty good but its not as good as the F1 style in a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo but those are super cars in a class all their own..

Look I have no desire to start an internet war but people should really take note of how they treat others in this forum. If you have a difference of opinion that's great make your point but there is no reason to attack someone for it. Lets try to be more civil so that everyone can benefit as a whole. There is a lot of knowledge on this site lets try to be more welcoming of new people and glean as much wisdom from each other as possible.
kimeran (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
So basically what you are saying is that you are either too lazy or ignorant to shift a car on your own. That does not surprise me since you are from NYC. I met guys in basic training from NYC who were in their 20's and never had a drivers license or knew how to pump their own gas. I even worked in Brooklyn for a time. These guys had this stereo typical attitude like they were better than everyone else because they were from New York, but in actuality they were a joke.. and completely out of touch with the rest of the country. Please don't be that guy.. this is a forum for people who are passionate about the C63 to come and share ideas. others have said that the forum is hurting and its because new people are treated like ****. This is not your private club house on the block its a public form for everyone. Some people maybe be tire kickers and dreamers but those people can become potential owners and contributing members.

I'll try to explain why someone might want a manual trans in a muscle car.. the C63 is basically a German Muscle car... People who are passionate about driving understand that a manual trans makes you feel more connected with the car and adds to the overall experience of driving. It allows you to better control the car and makes you feel one with the machine. Granted the C63 in sport + mode is pretty damn good and when in manual it adds to the drivers involvement and is pretty good but its not as good as the F1 style in a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo but those are super cars in a class all their own..

Look I have no desire to start an internet war but people should really take note of how they treat others in this forum. If you have a difference of opinion that's great make your point but there is no reason to attack someone for it. Lets try to be more civil so that everyone can benefit as a whole. There is a lot of knowledge on this site lets try to be more welcoming of new people and glean as much wisdom from each other as possible.
Like you're too lazy to actually buy a C63?

You don't even own the car, have said you want to buy the car, and now you're going on a tirade against an actual owner for liking the fact that the C63 isn't a manual and expressing his opinion respectfully.

K.
BLKROKT (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
Like you're too lazy to actually buy a C63?

You don't even own the car, have said you want to buy the car, and now you're going on a tirade against an actual owner for liking the fact that the C63 isn't a manual and expressing his opinion respectfully.

K.

What you call a tirade I call self defense.. not everyone is rolling in money .. some people like myself prefer to lay down a sizeable down payment before dropping 40 large on a car.. that takes time. This is a call to treat everyone with mutual respect. You may feel that your better than me ?? IDK but I don't really care makes no difference to me. I will have a car soon enough but until then I don't feel the need to apologize for not having one. All I ask is lets try to treat one another with respect and decency... there is no need to be a bully.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63

Who the **** are you?! BLKROKT finds more satisfaction in cornering speeds and braking zones. AMG3.2 finds more enjoyment in feeling mechanical things in cars like clutch takeup and gear engagement. It was a friendly discussion til you brought your wannabe self in here.

And let's get one thing clear. The only one here that is lazy is YOU, Mr. Too Lazy to Fix my Clarkson quote. I suggest you simply lurk these forums and STFU until you actually own a C63, at which point I expect at least a half dozen worthless threads started by you asking if this or that is normal or asking what tune to get, because, again, you are too lazy or inept to even correctly type a quote.
The following 2 users liked this post by chrisridebike8:
Adi-Benz (01-12-2017), BLKROKT (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM

2013 C63 AMG
But he talked to Eurocharged guys, to ask what exhaust piping size he should get, on a car he doesn't own.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ambystom01:
BLKROKT (01-12-2017), chrisridebike8 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Y'all be too wild, even for me lol.

When Mr Crankypants here don't wanna play, you know you've jumped the shark.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow..... PSYCHO much?

And just for the record, I'm not from NYC, I just happen to live here at the moment. And it's pretty clear that it's people like you who are ruining this forum.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I have to say thats a high post count for someone who doesn't actually own the car

And BLK and 3.2 were just saying their points of view and then you went apes*$2. Get your act together.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Lets try to be more civil so that everyone can benefit as a whole. There is a lot of knowledge on this site lets try to be more welcoming of new people and glean as much wisdom from each other as possible.

I lol'd. I wish the regular W204 forum had more traffic like this, it's quiet down there.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 01-12-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I'm going to the Vorshlag open house in Feb to talk about kicking off one of these builds::::

https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Project...LS1-Alpha-car/

still undecided about E36 or E46...... prob will dep on what I find locally for a good price for a donor car.

I would prefer a W204 coupe with ls/6spd swap... BS body kit.... but I dont' have the bones/patience for ser #00001....... the E36/46 ls swap is already engineered.

Hoping for 400-500HP...... and sub 2800lbs....... COTA track days here I come.

..... dreams of running down my buddies 2016 GT3 @ cota..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'd like to see someone do a manual tranny conversion