MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   I'd like to see someone do a manual tranny conversion (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/412757-id-like-see-someone-do-manual-tranny-conversion.html)

kent426 08-24-2011 09:18 PM

I'd like to see someone do a manual tranny conversion

How about a Keisler TKO 600

http://www.keislerauto.com/Keisler_A...gineering.html

They were offering to do them for the Chrysler 300 and Charger before Mopar came out with their own 6 speeds. Maybe they can produce a custom setup for the 63 motor and trick the computer?

jrcart 08-25-2011 04:01 PM

Contact Steve at Weistec Engineering, I'm pretty sure he built a manual tranny 63 a couple years ago.

obsidian05e55 08-25-2011 04:10 PM

This would make our cars much more fun to drive. :zoom:

SonnyakaPig 08-25-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jrcart (Post 4807410)
Contact Steve at Weistec Engineering, I'm pretty sure he built a manual tranny 63 a couple years ago.

No kidding?? Wow... What model 63 was it?

This would be awesome.

jrcart 08-25-2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig (Post 4807515)
No kidding?? Wow... What model 63 was it?

This would be awesome.

I don't know all the details, hell, I don't know any of the details, all I know is that it is/was a 63. The guys at Weistec have a lot of R&D stuff going on around the 63 M156 platform, they know their stuff. If the OP is serious he should contact Weistec and get the facts and if he's real serious convince them to build him one...money talks.

jrcart 08-25-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kent426 (Post 4806263)
How about a Keisler TKO 600

http://www.keislerauto.com/Keisler_A...gineering.html

They were offering to do them for the Chrysler 300 and Charger before Mopar came out with their own 6 speeds. Maybe they can produce a custom setup for the 63 motor and trick the computer?

I assume you would have to do a little more than "trick the computer", I would guess it would need a stand alone ecu.

SonnyakaPig 08-26-2011 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by jrcart (Post 4807918)
I don't know all the details, hell, I don't know any of the details, all I know is that it is/was a 63. The guys at Weistec have a lot of R&D stuff going on around the 63 M156 platform, they know their stuff. If the OP is serious he should contact Weistec and get the facts and if he's real serious convince them to build him one...money talks.

Cool info.

I remember going back to 96' when I had an Impala SS and people that were into those cars wished that the factory sold them with manuals. Then, I believe over the years people began to do the conversions. But, I don't know any of the details about that platfom anymore.

However, I agree, money talks and these types of projects will happen.

chief63 08-26-2011 02:55 PM

I don't really see why the manual would be such a big advantage. I don't see any straight line advantages since the shift times will similar at best and really minor advantages on the track in terms of RPM control (already rev matches).

The fun factor is there but I'm just not sure if the performance is. Don't get me wrong I've owned and tracked manual cars before but executing perfection (heel to toe and shifts) 20 times a lap is though and missing shifts happens. I'd rather worry about everything else (entry speed, brake points, lines, other cars, etc).

Just my 2 cents

BAD430BENZ 08-26-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jrcart (Post 4807918)

money does talk , but for this conversion , you would need enough money to say " if it doesn't work , i'm going to crush the car " or maybe even throw loose change at it :nix:

i don't think a manual conversion would be worth the cost .

SonnyakaPig 08-26-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by chief63 (Post 4808737)
I don't really see why the manual would be such a big advantage. I don't see any straight line advantages since the shift times will similar at best and really minor advantages on the track in terms of RPM control (already rev matches).

The fun factor is there but I'm just not sure if the performance is. Don't get me wrong I've owned and tracked manual cars before but executing perfection (heel to toe and shifts) 20 times a lap is though and missing shifts happens. I'd rather worry about everything else (entry speed, brake points, lines, other cars, etc).

Just my 2 cents

I think you're absolutely correct in your assessment. Probably only worth it for the fun factor.

SonnyakaPig 08-26-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ (Post 4808764)
money does talk , but for this conversion , you would need enough money to say " if it doesn't work , i'm going to crush the car " or maybe even throw loose change at it :nix:

i don't think a manual conversion would be worth the cost .

:rolf::y

chief63 08-26-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig (Post 4808867)
I think you're absolutely correct in your assessment. Probably only worth it for the fun factor.

The fun factor would be there, possibly more scary than fun lol

Sirpent 03-28-2014 07:23 AM

Gentleman

Start your engines !

The conversion is now posible !

RS32

callmiro 03-28-2014 07:37 AM

Yah....maybe you can get them to throw on a Carb and some drum brakes too...do they make 18" Bias-Ply tires?

http://www.frogforum.net/attachments...bie_thread.jpg

Sirpent 03-28-2014 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by callmiro (Post 5988704)
Yah....maybe you can get them to throw on a Carb and some drum brakes too...do they make 18" Bias-Ply tires?

https://mbworld.org/forums/data:imag...qA+GKzQYT/2Q==

The question was asked, I responded

callmiro 03-28-2014 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sirpent (Post 5988709)
The question was asked, I responded

3 years later.....all good....just breakin' them

Harold1898 03-29-2014 04:47 AM

I am blowed if I can see how a manual would be more fun. What is fun about pushing a clutch in? I had a Lamborghini years ago and it was manual, sold it 11 months later as I had enough of pushing the clutch in.
To each their own I guess. Stay safe.

Sirpent 03-29-2014 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Harold1898 (Post 5989807)
I am blowed if I can see how a manual would be more fun. What is fun about pushing a clutch in? I had a Lamborghini years ago and it was manual, sold it 11 months later as I had enough of pushing the clutch in.
To each their own I guess. Stay safe.

Driving a manual Lambo in Sydney ! Hell I would have given up also.

The point is I didn't do it because Im building a daily driver, the CLK is all I need in that respect, my Bavarian Japanese ******* child as some have christened it is purely for the fun of it and I was told over and over again to give up on the idea because it couldn't be done, Im just sharing the fact that it can be done that's all.

And as far as shifting a stick and depressing a clutch, I actually enjoy it as it connects the driver with the machine in a way that a slush box with an ecu never can or will.

Horses for courses I guess, and since you are a Sydney sider, stay in touch, one day when its actually mobile we might arrange for a test drive.

Cheers

John

C63fora2w1 01-10-2017 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by chief63 (Post 4808737)

Just my 2 cents

As someone who loves cars I have found that a manual trans makes even the most boring cars fun and fun cars amazing to drive. I have not owned a car with an auto trans in over a decade and looking to purchase a C63 I think its the biggest drawback. I like to have more control over the engine and it makes me feel more involved with how the car is performing. Other luxury manufacturers like BMW still have a 6 speed manual box and believe it keeps with the excitement and spirit of driving. Just my .02

SuperFastYo 01-10-2017 09:51 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b3556c8184.jpg

C63fora2w1 01-10-2017 09:52 AM

I found it through a google search so I'll own this one..

BLKROKT 01-10-2017 09:59 AM

Maybe you should get one first before forming any opinions about what it does and doesn't "need".

C63fora2w1 01-10-2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7020444)
Maybe you should get one first before forming any opinions about what it does and doesn't "need".

In talks with a dealer now thanks, but I really don't think that has anything to do with being passionate about driving and loving the ability to change gears... the paddle shift is a nice feature but not the same as a manual.. I also didn't mean to step on anybody's toes but if I did my apologies. I have driven 3 C63's now for reference and its an awesome package that I love, hence why I am buying one. .. but the option for a manual would be nice.

Ambystom01 01-10-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by C63fora2w1 (Post 7020458)
In talks with a dealer now thanks, but I really don't think that has anything to do with being passionate about driving and loving the ability to change gears... the paddle shift is a nice feature but not the same as a manual.. I also didn't mean to step on anybody's toes but if I did my apologies. I have driven 3 C63's now for reference and its an awesome package that I love, hence why I am buying one. .. but the option for a manual would be nice.

Yes, it does actually. You don't own a C63. We do. It's the first auto I've owned. It's still a fun and exciting car to drive. The paddles are great.

C63fora2w1 01-10-2017 10:46 AM

:y

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7020444)