C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 MCT comparison with M3 DCT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by gthal
I think you are right... it's too bad though that they don't offer the true DCT that is in the SLS as an option. I would definitely fork over the extra cash for it.
In addition, BMW usually put their latest technology in their M3. Unlike in MBZ, the C AMG will usually get it last for all AMGs. Am I wrong or is it just my perception? I am just starting to learn and know the details of MBZ AMG.

Anyway, when I started this thread, I was on the fench to get the 2012 C63 AMG. I was over it and enjoying my new ride so far. The MCT vs DCT is not a deal breaker for me as I know the main purpose of getting the C AMG. The whole package is the main thing for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
So as I learn more about the MCT being inferior to Dual clutch designs in theory. But Why? why would Mercedes put it's design effort on a system that would be referred by enthusiast as less than a Dual clutch design?
Also is the MCT More similar to the IS-F transmission design? I heared that it is a great transmission but still a torque converter.
Drive the MCT with a dual clutch back to back, and you'll realize how close they are in terms of feel and performance.

The MCT is a stopgap solution for Mercedes until their in-house dual clutch transmission is ready for production.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by rage2
Drive the MCT with a dual clutch back to back, and you'll realize how close they are in terms of feel and performance.

The MCT is a stopgap solution for Mercedes until their in-house dual clutch transmission is ready for production.
They already have a dual clutch in the SLS. All they need to do is adapt it for other cars in the lineup. I am not an engineer and have no idea how difficult this might be but they do have one.

Also, most other companies outsource their DCT trannys. For example, the same company produces the DCT for Ferrari and BMW. All BMW does adapt it to the car and manage the software programming from what I understand.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM

They already have a dual clutch in the SLS. All they need to do is adapt it for other cars in the lineup. I am not an engineer and have no idea how difficult this might be but they do have one.

Also, most other companies outsource their DCT trannys. For example, the same company produces the DCT for Ferrari and BMW. All BMW does adapt it to the car and manage the software programming from what I understand.
+1
I remember that the first year of the E90's M3 DCT had some few problems. Most of it were minors but one major problem (stalling). A software fix were introduced (for several times) to fix those problems.

Is SLS DCT outsourced or in-house?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
SLS DCT is outsourced. It's a Getrag unit. It wouldn't make financial sense for Mercedes to use that gearbox in their mass produced lines, seeing as they have a full on transmission production facilities in house that would go to waste.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
SLS DCT is outsourced. It's a Getrag unit. It wouldn't make financial sense for Mercedes to use that gearbox in their mass produced lines, seeing as they have a full on transmission production facilities in house that would go to waste.
Good point... however, BMW also outsources its DCT to Getrag. Bottomline, is Mercedes is behind the competition on this in a meaningful way. Maybe that doesn't matter but they really need to catch up IMO.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Good point... however, BMW also outsources its DCT to Getrag. Bottomline, is Mercedes is behind the competition on this in a meaningful way. Maybe that doesn't matter but they really need to catch up IMO.
They really need to catch up big time. The DCT has been in the BMW M3 since 2008, E90's series. Maybe MBZ don't do this change during series model. So probably, the new C AMG will have DCT.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Choy
They really need to catch up big time. The DCT has been in the BMW M3 since 2008, E90's series. Maybe MBZ don't do this change during series model. So probably, the new C AMG will have DCT.
The 2013 B class is getting the new in-house dual clutch gearbox first. It all depends on how fast MB can ramp up and upgrade that gearbox to handle the torque of the AMG motors.

One of the main reasons that MB was so slow to introduce a dual clutch gearbox was because of fighting with unions, who should get the contract to build the gearboxes. At one point, MB was so fed up they were ready to close the transmission facilities and just use Getrag boxes.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
So Choy... after living with the MCT for a while, what are your longer term thoughts vs the M-DCT? From all reports it isn't quite as good but is very capable nonetheless. Thoughts?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 M156 C204
incomparable... dct is dct, mct feels very similar to the current trans on 08-11 c63.

if you love the 7g tronic, you will love the mct. if you prefer manual, dct surely wins.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 PM

So Choy... after living with the MCT for a while, what are your longer term thoughts vs the M-DCT? From all reports it isn't quite as good but is very capable nonetheless. Thoughts?
I noticed that you also have an M3 so you must be skeptical on the performance of the MCT. When I decided to get the new C63 AMG with MCT, I know for a fact that I am not getting the same M-DCT trans. As I said before, I am getting the C AMG for the whole package.

For now, I am satisfied with the performance of the MCT considering that I am still in break-in period. The trans is still in C mode until 1K miles and I only managed to clocked up 250 miles. I am sure that I will be even more satisfied the moment I pass the 1K break-in period.

Maybe it is not as good as the M-DCT but it is very capable, or shall I say, way way capable to its task at hand. Definitely, it is better than those normal auto.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by aznkuja328
incomparable... dct is dct, mct feels very similar to the current trans on 08-11 c63.

if you love the 7g tronic, you will love the mct. if you prefer manual, dct surely wins.
Maybe that is why I like the M-DCT. The M3 with M-DCT is my first auto (it is blasphemy in the M3 world to say auto, they prefer to call it automated manual) that I bought. I been driving an MT for a long long time.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe that is why I like the M-DCT. The M3 with M-DCT is my first auto (it is blasphemy in the M3 world to say auto, they prefer to call it automated manual) that I bought. I been driving an MT for a long long time.
So dusting off this thread, 4+ years later it would appear that the MCT is NOT a stopgap, but rather Benz's plan for its daily driver cars. They're arguing it's for comfort and efficiency, but then in the GT they use a DCT.

That said, the M4's M-DCT is definitely jerky but it also does exactly what you tell it to do when you tell it to do it and doesn't mind being driven manually 100% of the time.

My question is, will this upgraded MCT with the "AMG drive unit" computer be the DCT's equal finally? I hope someone who has a C63S Coupe can tell us (not sure if the sedan has the same tranny/software).

Anybody?
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by GrussGott
So dusting off this thread, 4+ years later it would appear that the MCT is NOT a stopgap, but rather Benz's plan for its daily driver cars. They're arguing it's for comfort and efficiency, but then in the GT they use a DCT.

That said, the M4's M-DCT is definitely jerky but it also does exactly what you tell it to do when you tell it to do it and doesn't mind being driven manually 100% of the time.

My question is, will this upgraded MCT with the "AMG drive unit" computer be the DCT's equal finally? I hope someone who has a C63S Coupe can tell us (not sure if the sedan has the same tranny/software).

Anybody?
The regular MCT doesn't mind being in manual mode all the time. Have you driven one? There are upgrades available which make it very fast shifting.

Maybe try asking your question in the W205 C63S forum.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
The regular MCT doesn't mind being in manual mode all the time. Have you driven one? There are upgrades available which make it very fast shifting.

Maybe try asking your question in the W205 C63S forum.
Are transmission software upgrades available for 2012MY c63?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by NotABaller
I was talking about the Weistec TCU/VB upgrade
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
Originally Posted by NotABaller
There can always be an update available for any module in the car one would just have to check and the only way to do that is with a star diag and a daimler account or a friendly dealer/indy that has those 2 things. Its like checking for updates on your computer, in my opinion updates exist to improve but in the dealers mind, if its isnt broken dont update. You would be surprised at what modules have updates available for them.