C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Confused about the head bolt issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
This is not an uncommon issue. Unless it is an active safety issue they will most likely never issue a recall, rather fix them one off (and hopefully outside of the warranty if it has expired)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
My guess is that MB has already tested many of the old style head bolts that have been pulled from engine assembly as well as normal parts stock. They know what to expect...we don't. The situation reminds me of the infamous Ford Pinto case - and no, I'm not comparing deaths to engine replacements or drawing parallels between our concerns and those of the Ford victims - that I case-studied in B school. These are very different cases. Nonetheless, apparently the Pinto case revealed to the public-at-large a corporate decision-making process heretofore unknown.

Abstract
The cases involving the explosion of Ford Pinto's due to a defective fuel system design led to the debate of many issues, most centering around the use by Ford of a cost-benefit analysis and the ethics surrounding its decision not to upgrade the fuel system based on this analysis.

ANALYSIS
Although Ford had access to a new design which would decrease the possibility of the Ford Pinto from exploding, the company chose not to implement the design, which would have cost $11 per car, even though it had done an analysis showing that the new design would result in 180 less deaths. The company defended itself on the grounds that it used the accepted risk/benefit analysis to determine if the monetary costs of making the change were greater than the societal benefit. Based on the numbers Ford used, the cost would have been $137 million versus the $49.5 million price tag put on the deaths, injuries, and car damages, and thus Ford felt justified not implementing the design change. This risk/benefit analysis was created out of the development of product liability, culminating at Judge Learned Hand's BPL formula, where if the expected harm exceeded the cost to take the precaution, then the company must take the precaution, whereas if the cost was liable, then it did not have to. However, the BPL formula focuses on a specific accident, while the risk/benefit analysis requires an examination of the costs, risks, and benefits through use of the product as a whole. Based on this analysis, Ford legally chose not to make the design changes which would have made the Pinto safer. However, just because it was legal doesn't necessarily mean that it was ethical. It is difficult to understand how a price can be put on saving a human life.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I am most certain they have their legal department looking into what the heck they should do...believe me, its a HUGE decision that will be VERY costly for them (MB). If they don't do something about it now there could be a very extensive class action suit once engines fail out of warranty that would be even more expensive than replacing these bolts...
True that a successful class action lawsuit could be costly for MB, but that's a really big "if" for something like that too happen. Odds are it will not happen. So if there really is an issue, my bet is MB does nothing and just fixes broke engines still covered by warranty. MB has the leverage here and I don't foresee them forgetting that fact.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Yes replacement is a great idea....but can you just imagine the INSANITY of changing hundreds of M156 head bolts ( there is like 10 isn't there?) and the hours and the man power???? You have to completely remove the heads and the cylinder covers not to mention the other parts (air filters, belts, etc, etc, etc...) to access this...It would be an absolute NIGHTMARE....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Yes replacement is a great idea....but can you just imagine the INSANITY of changing hundreds of M156 head bolts ( there is like 10 isn't there?) and the hours and the man power???? You have to completely remove the heads and the cylinder covers not to mention the other parts (air filters, belts, etc, etc, etc...) to access this...It would be an absolute NIGHTMARE....
It sure would be a PIA.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
MB has to consider damage to the prestigious AMG brand if this issue starts to show up very broadly. Probably all around the same time as the engines reach the prime age for the bolts to break. The more random the issues the better for MB.

A wide press coverage of a broad based problem would cost MB/AMG a lot in reputation and undo a lot of the marketing efforts for the brand.

The best way out is for MB to cover the repair even after warantee expiration, otherwise the lawyers will uncover a class action opportunity.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pit-Pony
MB has to consider damage to the prestigious AMG brand if this issue starts to show up very broadly. Probably all around the same time as the engines reach the prime age for the bolts to break. The more random the issues the better for MB.

A wide press coverage of a broad based problem would cost MB/AMG a lot in reputation and undo a lot of the marketing efforts for the brand.

The best way out is for MB to cover the repair even after warantee expiration, otherwise the lawyers will uncover a class action opportunity.
THIS. If this is truly a ticking time bomb that destroys the engine, then the consumers need to be protected. Who knows how many of these "bombs" will actually go off within the warranty period vs. past the warranty period.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C350 4matic coupe
I don't remember if this has been covered yet, but are all the M156s affected or only the C63? I don't know why it'd be that much different but I haven't heard any other platforms having issues.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
THIS. If this is truly a ticking time bomb that destroys the engine, then the consumers need to be protected. Who knows how many of these "bombs" will actually go off within the warranty period vs. past the warranty period.
Of the cases I've seen reported to date the 40k-50k miles range seems to be the "hot spot."

Originally Posted by JohnnyUte
I don't remember if this has been covered yet, but are all the M156s affected or only the C63? I don't know why it'd be that much different but I haven't heard any other platforms having issues.
Hopefully Merc63 will weigh in here. He's another member who's been pushing this issue along but hasn't posted on it for a while. He mentioned at one time he had seen cases in other AMG-model sub-forums here...I haven't looked for them at all. But to answer your question, all platforms most likely are suspect. Many more C's are sold than other AMG models so it stands to reason they are much more visible.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM

C350 4matic coupe
It'd be interesting to find out. The thing is, the C is a detuned engine essentially so you'd think it wouldn't have the problems unless there's a difference between the C engines and others.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
Of the cases I've seen reported to date the 40k-50k miles range seems to be the "hot spot."
So I just need to log another 10k-20k miles in the next 5 months. That should be easy enough
Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG

Hopefully Merc63 will weigh in here. He's another member who's been pushing this issue along but hasn't posted on it for a while. He mentioned at one time he had seen cases in other AMG-model sub-forums here...I haven't looked for them at all. But to answer your question, all platforms most likely are suspect. Many more C's are sold than other AMG models so it stands to reason they are much more visible.
If you search the other 63 forums you will see its somewhat common... There is 100% a problem but good luck having it fixed "preventative maintenance".

It seems like it happens around 40+k miles. Search the other forums you will find some good reads.. Enough to give you a bit of a worry if you are out of warranty...
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 AM

2014 E63 S
If my motor blew due to the failure of one of those big *** bolts I would not sit back and take it. What's a '63 crate motor cost? I'd spend at least that much in legal fees and I would not go down quietly. I own 3 benzes each less than 3 years old too and they'd never see me buy another one. Everyone I know and everyone I ever ran into would hear my story.

When BMW had issues with the s54 they gave out 7 yr 100k mile warranties. I expect something like this from MB.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450 dodge ram srt 10
I was think of get a c63 amg in a few weeks
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 AM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
It will be interesting to see how my situation ends up getting handled. 51k KMs, 6 months out of warranty. Serviced on the button by the MB dealers including a service about 6 weeks and 2.5 K KMs before failure. I have had some sort of what seems like a catastrophic engine failure on one side. No compression and engine coolant in a number of cylinders. On my "good" side it already had one heat bolt failed so I would say I was driving a time bomb anyway. Hopefully some good will by MB. It may not apply directly to other situations and countries but we may get a guide on how MB in general will support these types of premature/unusual failures when out of warranty
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 AM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by morganb
It will be interesting to see how my situation ends up getting handled. 51k KMs, 6 months out of warranty. Serviced on the button by the MB dealers including a service about 6 weeks and 2.5 K KMs before failure. I have had some sort of what seems like a catastrophic engine failure on one side. No compression and engine coolant in a number of cylinders. On my "good" side it already had one heat bolt failed so I would say I was driving a time bomb anyway. Hopefully some good will by MB. It may not apply directly to other situations and countries but we may get a guide on how MB in general will support these types of premature/unusual failures when out of warranty
An Aussie??!!....Which Dealer?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Guys. A sticky has been set up to handle all these comments. Let's use it so the topic doesn't vanish way down on the board.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
My guess is that MB has already tested many of the old style head bolts that have been pulled from engine assembly as well as normal parts stock. They know what to expect...we don't. The situation reminds me of the infamous Ford Pinto case - and no, I'm not comparing deaths to engine replacements or drawing parallels between our concerns and those of the Ford victims - that I case-studied in B school. These are very different cases. Nonetheless, apparently the Pinto case revealed to the public-at-large a corporate decision-making process heretofore unknown.

Abstract
The cases involving the explosion of Ford Pinto's due to a defective fuel system design led to the debate of many issues, most centering around the use by Ford of a cost-benefit analysis and the ethics surrounding its decision not to upgrade the fuel system based on this analysis.

ANALYSIS
Although Ford had access to a new design which would decrease the possibility of the Ford Pinto from exploding, the company chose not to implement the design, which would have cost $11 per car, even though it had done an analysis showing that the new design would result in 180 less deaths. The company defended itself on the grounds that it used the accepted risk/benefit analysis to determine if the monetary costs of making the change were greater than the societal benefit. Based on the numbers Ford used, the cost would have been $137 million versus the $49.5 million price tag put on the deaths, injuries, and car damages, and thus Ford felt justified not implementing the design change. This risk/benefit analysis was created out of the development of product liability, culminating at Judge Learned Hand's BPL formula, where if the expected harm exceeded the cost to take the precaution, then the company must take the precaution, whereas if the cost was liable, then it did not have to. However, the BPL formula focuses on a specific accident, while the risk/benefit analysis requires an examination of the costs, risks, and benefits through use of the product as a whole. Based on this analysis, Ford legally chose not to make the design changes which would have made the Pinto safer. However, just because it was legal doesn't necessarily mean that it was ethical. It is difficult to understand how a price can be put on saving a human life.
100% correct. If this was a seat belt bolt that sheared off or a smog sensor going bad creating lots of pollution, DOT and the EPA would be all over it. But if the engine in your $65K+rich guys car blows up, the govt could care less. MBZ is most likely looking at the cost compared to the potential loss of brand reputation based on BMW M3 and Porsche 996 engine failure experience. Chances they will stone wall owners that don't have failures and work a deal out with those that have failures out of warranty. The cost to retro fit the head bolts at a dealer is most likely around $3-$4K.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Has anyone narrowed this down to a production date range?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 PM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by Pickles
An Aussie??!!....Which Dealer?
Cheers, Pickles.
The car is at MB Melbourne Airport Express as it stopped on the ring road. I bought the car privately but their group did all the Servicing from New for the first owner and me.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

The car is at MB Melbourne Airport Express as it stopped on the ring road. I bought the car privately but their group did all the Servicing from New for the first owner and me.
Ah right....I've seen that place...we bought our C63 from Mercedes Melbourne this year, in the city.
I'm VERY interested to follow your story.....as I guess we all are....but your "story" is a bit closer to home for me!
Please keep us posted &... Good Luck, Pickles.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Disregard...

Last edited by bhamg; 05-20-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 ML350
Hi Morganb,

Please keep us updated I am an 09 C63 owner with 40,000km's on the clock and have reached warranty maturity. I did however extend my Mercedes Road Care Assistance whatever that is?

Hope I don't have to jump in the ring with MB Australia on an engine problem....

Cheers

James
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
so unless i get a low coolant/check coolant light... merc won't bother checking anything... and if i do have a dealer look into it and they fine "nothing"... i'll still have to pay for the diagnosis...

is this correct? because there is not an official bulletin to look at this possible problem
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
So if you car has more than 60k miles and you didn't get a check coolant usage, that means you're fine ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Confused about the head bolt issue