MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   What MODE are you driving in? C S S+ M? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/441086-what-mode-you-driving-c-s-s-m.html)

ctown113 03-28-2012 07:02 PM

What MODE are you driving in? C S S+ M?

Hello Friends,

Now that I've finally hit the 800 mile mark ( I know its 1000) but the heck with it.. I'll take my chances :y
So I have a few questions that maybe you can help me out with?
I've been driving in "C" MODE this whole time, so IDK what to really expect in the other modes. I'm sure there's a difference in how the tranny shifts and what not.
That said, should I start out in "C" mode until the car is warmed up?
Or does it not matter?:nix:
Also, do i need to get it serviced once I hit the 1000 mile mark? I can't quite recall what the salesman told me, all I know is that he said I have to get a few mandatory services at XXXX miles :nix:

Thanks for any input.

and Happy driving, cant wait to GUN it on my way home tonight! :zoom:

gthal 03-28-2012 07:13 PM

M every day... all the time... from day 1 for me.

stangxs 03-28-2012 07:16 PM

Between M and S at all times.

_timothy 03-28-2012 07:19 PM

i drive it in S w/ ESC off unless its raining and then I will just do C.

the manual recommends that you wait until the fluids are warmed up before you drive aggressively I believe

is S+ mode 2012 only? i dont have that on my 2011 sedan

Pickles 03-28-2012 08:06 PM

I drive in "C" mode, most of the time.....gives us "ample" performance to blow most anything else away, & is smoother than the sport modes. We will use the sport modes from time to time, when we feel like it, but for normal driving "C" is fine for us.
Cheers, Pickles.

morganb 03-28-2012 08:14 PM

S Mode most of the time with the odd blast in M, the wife uses C mode.

noodleman 03-28-2012 08:24 PM

i use C mode for most of my driving, as it's just local roads. Generally switch to M when i have to get on the hwy or feel like burning some gas for that vicious exhaust sound.

GBlansten 03-28-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 5123251)
M every day... all the time... from day 1 for me.

I spent most of my time in S mode initially. Then it was mostly M mode towards then end of my 3 year lease. Just got to love the bark of the downshift. If MB puts a real DCT in the next C63 then I will have to give that car a serious consideration.

I only used C mode when it was raining.

izzyAMG 03-28-2012 08:35 PM

C... mostly, S... when feeling it, S+ when agitated!

gthal 03-28-2012 08:40 PM

I can't drive in any of the "auto" modes. I find the kick down bothersome when I get on the gas. I also find the exhaust is too quiet :D

I like M mode because the acceleration is always what I expect. No kick down... no hesitation until the car downshifts and then holy crap. M mode is the only mode I feel completely in control of the car. The only time I am in anything other than M is in snow. One thing I loved about the M3 is that it defaulted to manual mode. That says something about the "spirit" of that car (or, at least, BMW's opinion on how the car should be driven). I wish the C63 also defaulted to M mode... it would give the car a sportier character than defaulting to Grampa mode. Maybe this is because the C63 owner demographic is different than the M3 demographic? Maybe it's because the M3 has a real automated manual (DCT) as opposed to a very good automatic? The more I think about it, maybe one of the reasons I always drive in M mode (beyond more direct control of the car) is that I refuse to allow the car to feel like anything other than a sport coupe and in auto mode it grand tourer than a sports coupe... to me anyway.

VaclavSV 03-28-2012 08:42 PM

between C, S+, and M. I don't see a point to S really.

CoolBDPhenom03 03-28-2012 08:46 PM

I only have C, S, and M modes. I usually leave it in C for daily driving/commuting. If I don't need the extra RPMs then there's no point otherwise.

I do have a recently developed habit of switching into S or M when I go through tunnels, and of course when I'm just out for fun. I WILL burn the gas to give my passengers a thrill or to hear the exhaust notes.

natman316 03-28-2012 10:49 PM

only C around town (i find s, s+ and m too jerkey and annoying in traffic) and M when I want to open her up. S sometimes when I feel like going a little quick but i'm still around town with not alot of traffic.

Never used S+ because if i want to drive agressively, I would rather change my own gears.

timsamg63 03-28-2012 11:21 PM

I drive in C mode everyday lol

Illusive 03-29-2012 01:03 AM

C until the oil temp reaches 80C, then switch to S when in traffic. If there is some open road, I'm usually in S+, but will usually bump it up to M when I get to S+.

skokkosis 03-29-2012 03:50 AM

C during rain and heavy traffic, S at all other times, M when i want an energy booster to my day, this is when you feel the car the most :naughty:

sbce90 03-29-2012 03:57 AM

I drive in C. Good for fuel economy :P And you can drive without going above 2krpm. If I feel like giving it a bit (but not going all the way to redline) then M. Otherwise if thinking of redlining then S+ as it shifts better than M where it might cut power if I don't shift.

Saeedg48 03-29-2012 05:14 AM

C 90% of the time. when i race S+ when i power slide and drive for more control M; even though there's a huge lag between when i hit the button and when the transmission decides to change gears.

JCH 03-29-2012 09:20 AM

S mode all the time with liberal use of the paddles when decelerating. Often times, when at a stoplight I will set it to S3 so it shifts automatically up to 3rd gear and then I shift manually from there. I don't like to lug it around in OD at 45mph.

dubaudi 03-29-2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by JCH (Post 5124087)
S mode all the time with liberal use of the paddles when decelerating. Often times, when at a stoplight I will set it to S3 so it shifts automatically up to 3rd gear and then I shift manually from there. I don't like to lug it around in OD at 45mph.

OK, I'm totally confused. I just got an '09 also....what is "S3"?? I have 3 choices in mine....C, S, or M.

Also, what's annoying is that if I'm in C or S and use the paddles for any reason (for a quick downshift for example), it goes into a "manual" mode but then won't automatically shift again until I shuffle through the modes back to C or S.

Keithb 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

Over the winter C all the time. Now that the snow is gone I alternate between C and M, more M really as I have driven manuals all my life.

Does anyone bother downshifting / engine braking for stop lights or is it just a huge waste?

rory breaker 03-29-2012 12:09 PM

S+ is in the 2012+ model years.

I drive M every day around town and S+ on the highway/cruising speeds for instant kickdown automatically if needed.

ex 335i 03-29-2012 12:15 PM

Are you guys with 2012's still feeling a delay in M mode from when u hit the paddle to it actually changing gear?

JCH 03-29-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dubaudi (Post 5124289)
OK, I'm totally confused. I just got an '09 also....what is "S3"?? I have 3 choices in mine....C, S, or M.

Also, what's annoying is that if I'm in C or S and use the paddles for any reason (for a quick downshift for example), it goes into a "manual" mode but then won't automatically shift again until I shuffle through the modes back to C or S.

I just mean that the tranny's in S mode. When stopped, I hit the left paddle once and the right paddle twice until "3" appears in the DIC for gear selection. And yes, until you eventually shift into 7th or select C mode you will need to select manually from 3rd gear on.

aj20102009 03-29-2012 12:36 PM

M+