MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Oil Catch Can Advice (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/451506-oil-catch-can-advice.html)

Blown63 06-13-2012 03:10 AM

Oil Catch Can Advice

Hey guys,

I have a question after seeing someones post about how there was oil sludge in their engine I was wondering why I haven't seen people talk more about oil catch cans. Do you guys think this is necessary in our cars? Does any one have any input or advice on advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks in advanced :y

Sincity 06-13-2012 01:40 PM

Good question. I went over to Weistec's site and they had a SL that had oil pooled in the intake manifold from not having a catch can.

Blown63 06-14-2012 02:42 AM

What caught my attention and made me to start thinking of a catch can was this thread. Does sher-judge have a point that a catch would have prevented that from happening? Does anyone have any input?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...check-out.html

bhamg 06-14-2012 02:45 AM

I'm a believer in the catch can theory, just have to get off my a** and install one.

blindfold 06-14-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by bhamg (Post 5240064)
I'm a believer in the catch can theory, just have to get off my a** and install one.

same here, and find a way to mount that weistc can in the bay without obstructing the drip stick

Sincity 06-14-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by blindfold (Post 5240132)
same here, and find a way to mount that weistc can in the bay without obstructing the drip stick

I hope Weistec can chime in here.

Weistec 06-14-2012 03:37 PM

Gentlemen, Please view this picture to see how we install the Oil Separator. We supply all the brackets, hardware, and hoses in the kit to install it behind the headlight. This was a revision we made on the C63 because of the congestion near the firewall. If any of you didn't receive our newest parts, please email or PM us and we will get you situated with the latest and greatest. Let us know if this helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ego-blower.jpg

Weistec Engineering

BAD430BENZ 06-14-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Weistec (Post 5240713)
Gentlemen, Please view this picture to see how we install the Oil Separator. We supply all the brackets, hardware, and hoses in the kit to install it behind the headlight. This was a revision we made on the C63 because of the congestion near the firewall. If any of you didn't receive our newest parts, please email or PM us and we will get you situated with the latest and greatest. Let us know if this helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ego-blower.jpg

Weistec Engineering

that setup looks amazing :rolf:

thanks again guys :y

BO Knows 06-14-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Weistec (Post 5240713)

off topic, this supercharger looks different than other Weistec C63s. :confused: may be just the cover :nix: or a more powerful one :naughty:

Sincity 06-14-2012 10:27 PM

Yeah. The front pulley section is different. I wonder why? Stage 1 and 1+?

Z63amg 06-15-2012 11:43 AM

Does it void the factory warranty? I will ask MB next time and see what they say.

driftmotion 06-15-2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z63amg (Post 5241805)
Does it void the factory warranty? I will ask MB next time and see what they say.

It would be kind of hard for them to prove that your catch can caused any issues

Z63amg 06-15-2012 11:56 AM

This is my first Mercedes so I really don't know but like mitsubishi would blame anything they could on any after market part. Mercedes does have a clause under damages due to alterations or modifications. I just wonder if they would try to blame.

BAD430BENZ 06-15-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BO Knows (Post 5241183)
off topic, this supercharger looks different than other Weistec C63s. :confused: may be just the cover :nix: or a more powerful one :naughty:

Originally Posted by Sincity (Post 5241249)
Yeah. The front pulley section is different. I wonder why? Stage 1 and 1+?

Stage II goodies :y

motoman 06-25-2012 10:50 PM

If you are asking if sludge is caused by pooled oil in the intake ,the answer is not that I know. A catch tank or oil separator is mainly used in race cars to my kowledge. Crank case pressure from (combustion)" blow-by" drives vapor and oil into the crankcase breather. Good design usually avoids this. Some race engines use vacuum pumps to reduce the turbulence and parasitic HP loss. Hate to think this is a problem on C63.

Blown63 06-26-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by motoman (Post 5256340)
If you are asking if sludge is caused by pooled oil in the intake ,the answer is not that I know. A catch tank or oil separator is mainly used in race cars to my kowledge. Crank case pressure from (combustion)" blow-by" drives vapor and oil into the crankcase breather. Good design usually avoids this. Some race engines use vacuum pumps to reduce the turbulence and parasitic HP loss. Hate to think this is a problem on C63.

I am only ask because I am a daily driver and I like to get on her a lot, I do not track her but I am just thinking that the daily abuse may be comparable :zoom: lol

But it seems as though its not 100% necessary, as long as you change the oil and service you engine often you will be ok with out one.

Weistec 06-26-2012 07:56 PM

Gentlemen,

There are two different issues that are being discussed in this thread. The first being our Oil Separator, how it works, and what it prevents, and the oil sludge issue inside the engine.

Our Oil Separator System is designed to decrease the consumption of oil from the factory PCV system. Many vehicles come with some sort of oil separator system from the factory. This is not some kind of technology that is only seen on race cars. Look at the M113K E55 engine as an example. The factory crankcase ventilation on the M156/M159 breathes mostly between the timing cover and the engine block, and this is where the timing chain as well as many other moving parts are. Because of this, oil gets splashed and sucked in through the PCV system. It is not completely a matter of blow-by, but the design of the crankcase ventilation. The pictures on our website (http://weistec.com/m156os.html) of oil in the intake manifold is proof of what is happening over time. This can also cause many issues from serious carbon build up on valve and piston surfaces, to a loss in power from detonation, to damaging the catalyst system over time. We think this is very bad on the engine, and have seen the difference the Oil Separator can make in just one oil change period.

Oil Sludge is typically from either over heating the oil or not completing an oil change in due time. The Oil Separator can't help this, but it will prevent milky oil (air and oil mixing) because its main purpose it to separate oil and air. Hope this helps. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering

DuaneC63 06-26-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Weistec (Post 5257714)
Gentlemen,

There are two different issues that are being discussed in this thread. The first being our Oil Separator, how it works, and what it prevents, and the oil sludge issue inside the engine.

Our Oil Separator System is designed to decrease the consumption of oil from the factory PCV system. Many vehicles come with some sort of oil separator system from the factory. This is not some kind of technology that is only seen on race cars. Look at the M113K E55 engine as an example. The factory crankcase ventilation on the M156/M159 breathes mostly between the timing cover and the engine block, and this is where the timing chain as well as many other moving parts are. Because of this, oil gets splashed and sucked in through the PCV system. It is not completely a matter of blow-by, but the design of the crankcase ventilation. The pictures on our website (http://weistec.com/m156os.html) of oil in the intake manifold is proof of what is happening over time. This can also cause many issues from serious carbon build up on valve and piston surfaces, to a loss in power from detonation, to damaging the catalyst system over time. We think this is very bad on the engine, and have seen the difference the Oil Separator can make in just one oil change period.

Oil Sludge is typically from either over heating the oil or not completing an oil change in due time. The Oil Separator can't help this, but it will prevent milky oil (air and oil mixing) because its main purpose it to separate oil and air. Hope this helps. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering

Looks like a well engineered and finished product. Could you put a PDF of installation instuctions for a C63 on your website. Always like to see what's involved in the installation prior to ordering things.

adolzero 02-05-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Weistec (Post 5257714)
Gentlemen,

Weistec Engineering

question:i understood your oil catch can "catch" oil from entering intake manifold but how about "existing oil" in the manifold? do i need to clean the manifold (seems a lot of work) before using the catch can or if it will work to "reduce“ the existing oil in the manifold and transfer it to the can?

Thrilla 02-05-2015 09:42 AM

It's going to prevent further build up, but it wouldn't clean what's currently on the intake manifold. It's more of a preventative measure.

m a x i m u s 02-05-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thrilla (Post 6320356)
It's going to prevent further build up, but it wouldn't clean what's currently on the intake manifold. It's more of a preventative measure.

+1. I asked Weistec about this before I got mine. They said the existing oil will eventually burn off.

jcfay 02-05-2015 12:07 PM

I've got Weistec's can installed (it was a moderate pain in the ***), but it was worth it as it now harvests a decent amount of oil that otherwise would end up in the intake. The engine bay of the C63 is very crowded, and the PCV valve is tucked tight against the firewall. I ended up running the lines around the dipstick, which ain't ideal, but still works. Just be real careful during install and don't break the PCV valve or brackets, or drop any of the hardware. HTH