C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

c63 coupe creaking in the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl550
So after 3 attempts to fix the rear squeaking and navigation squeak, it still squeaks just as bad as day 1. I had two different techs work on the car 3 different times and they assured me it was solved.

I drove the car today and boom it started making noises from the rear and the dash. At this point I'm throwing in the towel and just enjoying the performance and sound of this car.

FYI I don't think their is any immediate fix for these issues.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
I have a '12 C63 coupe and have no complaints (yet) about rattles or squeaks BUT I have noticed when entering a steep incline such as a driveway or gas station entrance at an angle I get a loud "pop" which seems to eminate from behind the rear view mirror area of the widshield....it was alarming the first time it did it as is a pretty sharp popping noise....other than that I have yet to notice anything I would call out of the ordinary for this or any other car. On the right road I think any car will display some kind of annoying rattle/creak etc...Even my '09 Aston did.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM

c63
Originally Posted by Swoody
I have a '12 C63 coupe and have no complaints (yet) about rattles or squeaks BUT I have noticed when entering a steep incline such as a driveway or gas station entrance at an angle I get a loud "pop" which seems to eminate from behind the rear view mirror area of the widshield....it was alarming the first time it did it as is a pretty sharp popping noise....other than that I have yet to notice anything I would call out of the ordinary for this or any other car. On the right road I think any car will display some kind of annoying rattle/creak etc...Even my '09 Aston did.
I can second that. what you have described is the chief rattle/noise in my '11 sedan. speed bumps, uneven driving surfaces, brick -> concrete road transitions, etc.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
c63 creaks + rattles

Alright, I guess I find it a little reassuring that other people are having the same issues with their C63's. My 2010 had no interior fit + finish issues, but I've had a 2012 coupe for 6 months now that creaks and rattles. Same issue with the rattling in the back seat - although I think that might actually be the sunroof, but I've given up on ever solving that one. The dashboard though, now that it's colder (I'm in California) creaks like crazy. My dealer's tech claimed he couldn't hear it when I drove around, but I'm beginning to suspect he's deaf. Because it's definitely there -- and clearly we're all experiencing similar problems. The only thing I can think of now is to take it a different dealer (because I'm driving my dealer crazy calling them every week), and have them felt the dashboard pieces (again). I've had issues with the audio, too -- had to replace a treble speaker, and it stills pops and hisses like there's bad feedback on some of my phone calls. As other posters have noted, if I didn't love the car so much, this would be more of an irritation. But I can probably grit my teeth and live with the flaws.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
i have a solution... Very loud music!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
It's good to hear others I'm not the only one with these creaks and rattles ... however, its bad that we freaking have these issues on a 80k car!!! WTF?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

I've mentioned the rattles/vibrations from the dash,a/c vent areas before...& I know others have the same issue.
Mine isn't a rattle, but more of a vibration/buzzing sound from that area..it comes & goes relative to the type of road surface I'm on.
But from what I've seen, with the number of owners who have the problem & taken their cars to dealers, the majority haven't been fixed, so there's no way I'm having anyone pull my dash apart when they don't know what they're looking for, as there is then a good chance that I'll have more noises than ever.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
Originally Posted by vmx128
My 2011 Infiniti G37 coupe has a much nicer interior even compared to a 2012 C63, and it is rattle free after 10k miles and over one year of ownership
I have a '12 C63 coupe and an '11 G37 Journey S coupe. My G37 has ~22k on it and developed a "squeak" in the center console. A good hammer fist from the side took care of it, but it came back after ~ 10k. A second hammer fist, haven't heard from it since. Not a peep from the C63 though, 5k miles.

It's a crapshoot with some cars.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe P31
Holy crap - other people have this.. so annoying - the times i've been clambering around in the back of my coupe shaking seats and stuff...

Total mind games... have been tempted to take it back in numerous times...

WTF is it!? I get these in the back when on the freeway etc....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM

2013 e350 estate
Well after a few trips to the dealer we finally managed to pin point where the rattle was coming from in the rear behind the seats. It gradually got worse over time so much that even the bass from the sub was making it rattle lol. Turns out that it was the plastic around the brake light in the rear window vibrating against the glass. So i suggest to all those with same/similar problem to mention this to your dealer and hopefully you can also get it sorted like me!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by HaLLiS
Well after a few trips to the dealer we finally managed to pin point where the rattle was coming from in the rear behind the seats. It gradually got worse over time so much that even the bass from the sub was making it rattle lol. Turns out that it was the plastic around the brake light in the rear window vibrating against the glass. So i suggest to all those with same/similar problem to mention this to your dealer and hopefully you can also get it sorted like me!
That makes sense.... sounds like where mine is coming from. What are they doing to remedy?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM

sl550
My 2012 coupe has been to the dealer 3 times for this with no fix. Of course they tell me its fixed and then a day later its back. I suspected it was coming from the 3rd brake light.

I am going in for my service A soon so I will have them mess around with the 3rd brake light to see if they can fix it.

It seems as though everytime I drive this car another rattle appears and it drives me nuts!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM

2013 e350 estate
It was only a temporary fix as the guy pretty much shoved something between the glass and plastic part to stop the noise, they are going to contact me later for a proper fix
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
I just got my car back from being serviced and they fixed my rattle in the back. They said it was actually two different ones so they lubricated the sunroof and reinsulated the parcel shelf and brake light behind the seat. It did the trick because that super annoying noise is gone.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM

12 c63 AMG, 06 audi a8, 04 bmw
my 12 sedan has a few rattles and creaks on the dashboard, it really pissed me off when i first got it especially when its an expensive car. i forgot about it though and ive learned to live with it, everything else about the car is amazing
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S
Originally Posted by Pickles
I've mentioned the rattles/vibrations from the dash,a/c vent areas before...& I know others have the same issue.
Mine isn't a rattle, but more of a vibration/buzzing sound from that area..it comes & goes relative to the type of road surface I'm on.
But from what I've seen, with the number of owners who have the problem & taken their cars to dealers, the majority haven't been fixed, so there's no way I'm having anyone pull my dash apart when they don't know what they're looking for, as there is then a good chance that I'll have more noises than ever.
Cheers, Pickles.
I have a '12 sedan and I have exactly what you describe. Sounds like a loose washer or something actually buzzing against metal or plastic. Seems like its coming from the left side of the instrument cluster.
Getting into the colder season now, my dash is starting to sound like I got a box of rusty nails loose in there! There is truly nothing I find more annoying, and taking it to the dealer is usually worse. I cant see how a dealer is supposed to locate problems of fit and finish without unsettling another area or trim piece of the dash.
I can offer a couple things I tried on my car... First was the rear door lock pics rattle in thier spot. I stuffed a small bit of thin foam down the chute and that helped. Balsa noticed the head rests in the rear also make noise over harder bumps, if ou bang the seatback you can hear them rattling in the small tunnels they sit in, I did the same as the door pins to fix. Gonna try the third brake light. I can't seem to hear anything coming from my sun shade, even when I bang away back there.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM

C63 AMG, S600, G55 AMG
You guys think this is bad. A friend of mine has an SLS and he was complaining about some noises in the cabin. It's something with Mercedes, the seatback of my C63 went loose after a while and in the cold it creaks a bit. Thankfully no other creaks but music always helps, it's all those cheap plastic parts they put in the cars.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Brought the car in for its first service today. The dealer identified both the rear creak and the dash creak. Felted both areas and so far it is gone. The rear was the rear deck and the window. I hate how squeaky the car is but I love my dealership

They gave me a Kia Forte as a loaner today and it had less rattles and squeaks by a mile Come on MB, Kia is eating you for lunch in the squeak/rattle category!!

Last edited by gthal; 12-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by gthal
Brought the car in for its first service today. The dealer identified both the rear creak and the dash creak. Felted both areas and so far it is gone. The rear was the rear deck and the window. I hate how squeaky the car is but I love my dealership

They gave me a Kia Forte as a loaner today and it had less rattles and squeaks by a mile Come on MB, Kia is eating you for lunch in the squeak/rattle category!!
Your dealer gave you a Kia loaner? WTF
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by cptdaz
Your dealer gave you a Kia loaner? WTF
Yeah... normally its now a C but they had inventory issues this AM. It was actually not a bad car surprisingly. I liked it more to drive than the B Class cars I have had.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
A possible FIX for C63 Coupe Rattles

Okay, so I posted earlier about my 2012 C63 coupe rattling - just picked it up from the Mercedes dealer in Beverly Hills, and hopefully the solution to my rattle can help some of you, too... turns out the rattle that at first I thought was coming from the back seat (and then migrated to behind my head) was the double glassed roof. They've seen the same problem on the E class. The screws come loose, vibrating and making that rattling noise. You'll have to leave your car a couple of days - they have to take down the headliner, re-screw them and add a seal. But it 100% eliminated the rattles in my car. At the same time, I had them re-felt the dash, which took care of a creaking in the radio surround (it's actually the 3rd time I've had a dealer felt that car). I'm not convinced anymore these are permanent fixes, driving in L.A. - the suspension and these roads are a brutal combination. But if you've had the same phantom rattles, look into this - might be the same problem in your car.