Replacing my Porsche Cayeene s 2012 with C63 Sedan 2012/2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT-S
Question Replacing my Porsche Cayeene s 2012 with C63 Sedan 2012/2013

Hi every one...

i am new here.. I am about place an order for C63 2012 if stock avialable (waiting for my dealer to confirm) or c63 2013 is stock not available.

I would appreciate your comments in my planned order.

what are the pros and cons of moving from SUV to sport Sedan and specially your input regarding C63 as I want to enjoy a sport ride
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
nkc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Coupe P31 CF Trim - Eurocharged V7, 2012 RangeRover Autobiography, 2017 GLS 63 Amg
u will miss the ground clearance and go anywhere capabilities of an suv, but once u press the pedal of the c63, u will not remember u ever owned an suv. i too had a RR autobiography 2012, and i sold it cos the c63 was just so much fun, although the RR is king in luxury and comfortability compared to the 63 but who cares.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:23 PM

AMG GT-S
Thank you nkc for your feedback.. should i get the 2013 or wait couple of months for 2013.. are you aware of any changes in 2013?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
nkc

2012 C63 Coupe P31 CF Trim - Eurocharged V7, 2012 RangeRover Autobiography, 2017 GLS 63 Amg
am not really sure of the changes on 2013, some forum members will address that shortly, but i do know there is no exterior or interior change. i think they just added mbrace, which am not too sure what that does, seeing that am in africa and don't need it for now. if u can get 2013, better, since it will be more current.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
How was the Cayenne S, my wife and I have been thinking about one.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S
The Cayennes sure have a sporty ride... you should find the C63 to be the same if not better. As for the SUV part... the Porsche is hardly an SUV, I would rate it more like a fast, sporty wagon. You will obviously miss the normal things like hauling the soccer ***** to the field, or the AWD (usefull only if you had all-seasons or winter tires).
What you wont miss is the awful reliability, the Mercedes today is SO much more reliable. Ive had four different close friends with Cayenne's and all say it was the most unreliable vehicle they ever had, dont know of anybody who bought a 2nd... i drove two of them before and both rattled like a box of rusty nails.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Your glovebox wont lock itself shut either hahaha

My mother's Cayenne decided to keep all the Christmas present gift cards for itself last winter.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
I have a 2011 Cayenne S and a 2012 C63 I acquired about a month ago. I think we won't need to discuss the obvious size, acceleration and speed disparities so I'll try to cover the other differences.

The Cayenne is an all weather high speed cruiser. Whether it's trips to the mall, Lake Tahoe, or across the state, just throw in your gear, keep an extra quart of oil handy and off you go. On the open road it just soaks up everything thrown at it. The seats are supremely comfy for the long haul, the Burmy sound is impressive, and when you hit the sport button, the V8 burble is entertaining without wearing you down on extended drives. It's a Jack of all trades, the one you pick for just about any task, night or day, in any weather.

The C63 is like a hot date. It may not be the partner you bring home to meet the parents (or kids), but it sure gets your blood pumping. There is just something intriguing about a car that constantly tries to kill you if you don't treat it with respect. Its massive torque and relatively narrow rear tires assure endless entertainment if you keep within its and your limits. Anyone who needs emotional therapy should just spend 10 minutes in a C63 driven vigorously; it never fails to put a grin on your face and reminds you how lucky and great it is to be alive. The front seats feel sportier than the Cayenne's, but they're comfy even on long drives. While you don't get the Cayenne's power folding mirrors, you do get a better Navi, complete with traffic info. The iPod integration is a major improvement over older C63s. Both equipped with the optional Performance Pack, the new model rides noticeably better than the previous one. There have been a number of complaints about the new MCT gearbox; having owned an '09 C63, I'd agree it's less smooth than the older torque converter equipped version. But it isn't bad at all, and in my opinion MB still does the best full auto gearbox implementation compared to BMW or Porsche. Why? In full auto, downshifting the tranny locks it into whatever maximum gear you choose. It'll shift up to that gear but not beyond. This shift logic is a boon when driving around town or in traffic, when you don't want the car to shift into the lethargic higher cogs. In the Cayenne, there is no way to do this, and shifting manually forces you to click actively through the gears. That's fine if you want to be fully involved, and the Merc also offers that in manual mode. But the implementation of auto mode in the Merc is just plain smarter. The Merc's gearbox expertly performs engine blips too when downshifting, which keeps the car more stable, and sounds fun. The Cayenne's 8-speed Tip, on the other hand, does not; in fact, the lack of engine blipping and probably the additional load of the 4WD hardware bogs you down initially then briefly (and scarily) surges you forward during manual downshifts, particularly from 3rd to 2nd. You can anticipate this after a while, and compensate a bit either with the throttle for accel or light braking for decel. But the C63 needs no compensation, and just shifts brilliantly. Oh, and that extra gear on the Cayenne? You won't miss it on the Merc. It's really unfortunate Porsche doesn't offer the PDK on the Cayenne (due to towing capacity?), I'm sure that would resolve the gearbox shortcomings.

Both cars are rather boring on the freeway while doing 65-80 in high gear. Their engines are just asleep. The Merc's herculean motor will still pull smartly in 7th, but it's nothing to get excited about. No, to feel the power you bought with your hard-earned greenbacks, you have to downshift to at least 5th in both cars. This wakes the motors up, suddenly becoming responsive and melodic. The Cayenne with the sport exhaust on sounds wonderful at full song. But the C63 sounds like you're starring in Days of Thunder; add a full orchestral soundtrack, and the resulting symphony is utterly glorious!

And when it comes time to end the fun and haul your ride back to sane speeds or to a quick stop, the Merc's binders won't let you down. They have a reassuring bite from the get go, a sensation which takes new drivers and owners by surprise until they adjust. The Cayenne's brakes are very competent, and offer a more linear response. But I've frequently wished the Cayenne S had better brakes, perhaps those on the Turbo (sorry, the ceramic jobs at almost $9k are IMO an unreasonable expense for street use, even if one can afford them). In comparison, the brakes on my previous 2007 BMW X5 4.8 never felt lacking.

Having said all that, the one major deciding factor in your decision is whether you wife can live with the firmer and hairier C63 long term. You've already experienced the Cayenne S, enjoyed its smooth ride and larger cabin. A move to the more radical Merc would feel equally radical, perhaps unacceptable to her. Try one for an extended period if you can, and give it considerable thought. Good hunting.

Last edited by sparrow650; 08-02-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55
"There is just something intriguing about a car that constantly tries to kill you if you don't treat it with respect."
Haha. So funny. Yet frighteningly true.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM

AMG GT-S
thanks!

thank you all for your feedback and thanks to sparrow650 for the in-depth comparison with Cayenne S! I pulled the trigger and booked 2013 C63 !

but it will take couple of months to arrive!!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by mydxb
thank you all for your feedback and thanks to sparrow650 for the in-depth comparison with Cayenne S! I pulled the trigger and booked 2013 C63 !

Will be worth the wait. After getting it, you will forget about everything else.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by mydxb

What spec/options/colour/interior did you order?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, 335i
Don't forget the ground clarence you will be losing so be careful with the front bumper on the C63 as you pull alongside curbs and into parking spaces. I've seen quite a lot of scuffed up C class bumpers.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Ive had 2 SUV's prior to moving into a C63 and I haven't looked back.
Only thing I miss in the SUV is the extra space and the roominess.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM

2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Best of both worlds=E63 wagon